For all those 'voting' issues

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Not saying it's not.
tht
Of course you would think it's bunk.

Nevertheless, if you bothered to watch it, it says a lot regardless of WHAT side you're for.
of course you're saying it's not. If you're going to lie at least have the convinction to own it,

It says nothing regardless of which side your on. Or at least hadn't by the time i gave up at about 12 minutes.

All it does is make vague unsubstantiated claims in a dramatic fashion about how "They" don't want people like me to vote etc etc, And then the big example - a county where they were looking at removing polling stations and where people said they don't want the stations closed and so the didn't close them. OHHHHH the repression! And that's the one-sided propaganda point of view, and it's still nothing.

gerrymandering and a general lack of common sense about polling is a hallmark of american politics and that's the same for whites blacks lefts rights ups and downs. Trying to make it sound like it's one sided or repressive is just an exercise in race baiting,

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Huh, isn't that interesting. Again, listening to various radio stations on Sirus XM, there were some statistics in the "early voting" that's taking place right now. Apparently, in Georgia early voting is up substantially from 2020 so no suppression there. I don't recall anything from Florida but I suspect it'll be pretty much the same. There were other stats from other States (I don't recall which ones) that early voting was also up from 2020.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Huh, isn't that interesting. Again, listening to various radio stations on Sirus XM, there were some statistics in the "early voting" that's taking place right now. Apparently, in Georgia early voting is up substantially from 2020 so no suppression there. I don't recall anything from Florida but I suspect it'll be pretty much the same. There were other stats from other States (I don't recall which ones) that early voting was also up from 2020.

Did you watch the doc?

Just because numbers may be up, does not mean votes will be counted.

Claims from R's that there's "people voting who shouldn't" and claims from D's that "people who should be allowed to vote, can't" are the issue. SOMETHING needs to be done, overall, to fix these two issues. In the end, THAT'S the point of the video. Voting should not be a Democrat or Republican focus issue, but an everyone issue.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

So Dix, have you any thoughts on what's going on with Florida voters being arrested for something that may not even be their fault, and even arresting officers don't get why they're being arrested?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So Dix, have you any thoughts on what's going on with Florida voters being arrested for something that may not even be their fault, and even arresting officers don't get why they're being arrested?
I don’t know what’s going on but I’ll bite.

Being arrested with what evidence?

Generally they could be held for six hours unless an extension is given from what I understand… but I’m under the impression that evidence needs to be presented for the arrest.

Now I’m not an American, or a lawyer, and I didn’t even stay at a holiday express last night…. so this is just coming from the Google peanut gallery. Curious to have Tech Wade in one this one.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don’t know what’s going on but I’ll bite.

Being arrested with what evidence?

Generally they could be held for six hours unless an extension is given from what I understand… but I’m under the impression that evidence needs to be presented for the arrest.

Now I’m not an American, or a lawyer, and I didn’t even stay at a holiday express last night…. so this is just coming from the Google peanut gallery. Curious to have Tech Wade in one this one.
What do you want to know?

Aside from the fact that it's 24 hours.

What evidence? Who needs evidence? You hold 'em in jail for 24, drain a few thousand out of their pockets, get them fired from their jobs, then drop the charges. Oops, administrative error.

Message sent.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Damn. They are accused of violating a state law that doesn’t allow people convicted of murder or felony sex offenses to automatically be able to vote after they complete their sentence. A 2018 state constitutional amendment that restored the right to vote to many felons excluded this group.

But, as the videos further support, the amendment and subsequent actions by state lawmakers caused mass confusion about who was eligible, and the state’s voter registration forms offer no clarity. They only require a potential voter to swear, under penalty of perjury, that they’re not a felon, or if they are, that their rights have been restored. The forms do not clarify that those with murder convictions don’t get automatic restoration of their rights.

Oliver, who served 18 years in prison on a second-degree murder charge, registered to vote at the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles on Feb. 14, 2020. Six months later, she updated her address and completed another registration form.

After brief eligibility checks by the Department of State — which reports to DeSantis and is responsible for cleaning the rolls of ineligible voters — she was given a voter ID card both times.

Oliver wasn’t removed from the rolls until March 30 this year, more than two years later.

The arrests marked the first cases brought by the Office of Election Crimes and Security, which was established earlier this year at the urging of DeSantis and includes sworn officers from the state Department of Law Enforcement.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Damn. They are accused of violating a state law that doesn’t allow people convicted of murder or felony sex offenses to automatically be able to vote after they complete their sentence. A 2018 state constitutional amendment that restored the right to vote to many felons excluded this group.

But, as the videos further support, the amendment and subsequent actions by state lawmakers caused mass confusion about who was eligible, and the state’s voter registration forms offer no clarity. They only require a potential voter to swear, under penalty of perjury, that they’re not a felon, or if they are, that their rights have been restored. The forms do not clarify that those with murder convictions don’t get automatic restoration of their rights.

Oliver, who served 18 years in prison on a second-degree murder charge, registered to vote at the Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles on Feb. 14, 2020. Six months later, she updated her address and completed another registration form.

After brief eligibility checks by the Department of State — which reports to DeSantis and is responsible for cleaning the rolls of ineligible voters — she was given a voter ID card both times.

Oliver wasn’t removed from the rolls until March 30 this year, more than two years later.

The arrests marked the first cases brought by the Office of Election Crimes and Security, which was established earlier this year at the urging of DeSantis and includes sworn officers from the state Department of Law Enforcement.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for keeping murderers, sex offenders and even some absolutely other serious crimes off voting rights.

But otherwise, if you've done your time, voting should be allowed.

And if the GOVERNMENT fucks up and tells you that you can vote, when you can't, that should not be on you for that mistake.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

When it comes to extinguishing a life on purpose, or sex offenses against, say, kids, or that involve serious bodily harm, why SHOULD that person be allowed to vote, even if they get out of jail? Someone who has no problem hurting people like that should not get a say in government. They don't give a damn about people in general before the fact, why allow them to continue as if they did anything wrong after the fact?

I'm not saying all criminals, mind you. And there's always circumstances that can change voting allowances, but it should at least be very goddamn hard to get that right to vote back after doing serious crimes like that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
When it comes to extinguishing a life on purpose, or sex offenses against, say, kids, or that involve serious bodily harm, why SHOULD that person be allowed to vote, even if they get out of jail? Someone who has no problem hurting people like that should not get a say in government. They don't give a damn about people in general before the fact, why allow them to continue as if they did anything wrong after the fact?

I'm not saying all criminals, mind you. And there's always circumstances that can change voting allowances, but it should at least be very goddamn hard to get that right to vote back after doing serious crimes like that.
And yet persons convicted of these crimes lose none of their Bill of Rights rights, except as is consistent with their incarceration, and don't lose their citizenship (nor their obligation to register for the draft). They do, however, amusingly generally lose their right to possess firearms, which the gun nuts vociferously approve.

Go figure.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
And yet persons convicted of these crimes lose none of their Bill of Rights rights, except as is consistent with their incarceration, and don't lose their citizenship (nor their obligation to register for the draft). They do, however, amusingly generally lose their right to possess firearms, which the gun nuts vociferously approve.

Go figure.

While true, I honestly think that needs to change where even when you get out of prison, you don't 'get your rights back' without damn good reasons to get them back.

You kill someone (and not accident but actual did it on purpose, or helped to plan something or whatever) and you get out after doing 'your time', there's still consequences.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Message sent.
Would the message be something like "if you've been convicted of murder maybe you should be an adult and learn the repercussions of your conviction?" Or perhaps the message is "If you are asked to swear an oath on something - maybe check to make sure you qualify BEFORE saying yes.

Because those are pretty reasonable messages.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Not saying it's not.

Of course you would think it's bunk.
I never said it was. But Youtubes are well known sources of propaganda and disinformation.
Nevertheless, if you bothered to watch it, it says a lot regardless of WHAT side you're for.
It didn't bother me anymore than the fact the Fed has gone out of its way to make things as difficult as possible for me to vote in the last three federal elections (and 2 provincial elections). But of course my rights don't matter for shit anymore because I'm White, straight and male, and disabled. Yet every election season a few thousand people who aren't eligible to vote in Canada receive registration cards.

So, how bothered about your OP should I be? Am I being racist because I'm not any more bothered by that than the suppression of my own voting rights?

Reactions: Twin_Moose