Netflix's Cleopatra is Absolute Trash.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about this but will focus on one very problematic aspect.
The show portrays Cleopatra as Black. Now, this wouldn't be an issue (other then the usual pathetic and desperate race swapping) but this show is being marketed as a "documentary". One of the show's creators even stated this, "Don't let the schools or anyone try to tell you differently, Cleopatra was Black".

Problem is, for something that labels itself as a "documentary" it gets the most important, most basic fact dead-ass wrong. Cleopatra was NOT Black, unless one is willing to ignore the plethora of archaeological evidence that Cleo was most likely a Macedonian Greek, and the total lack of archaeological evidence that she was Black.
Now, it could well be that the Pharaonic era in Egypt began with Black Pharaohs but by the time of Cleo the Pharaonic line was clearly Ptolemaic.

What the show is doing is called 'blackwashing'. An Egyptian lawyer is suing Netflix and the show runners for cultural appropriation and "trying to erase the Egyptian identity".

Now, some mental midgets are suggesting that no one knows for sure if Cleo was Black or not because "her race was unlikely to be documented". But it was, in coins. The profile of Cleo on those ancient coins is clearly the profile of a Greek person, not an African person.

Jada Pinkett Smith, an executive producer on the show, recently explained the controversial depiction on Netflix’s promotional website Tudum.
“We don’t often get to see or hear stories about Black queens, and that was really important for me, as well as for my daughter, and just for my community to be able to know those stories because there are tons of them!” the actor and talk show host said.

Especially when you engage in race swapping and historical revisionism, right Jada?

But let's go with the notion that Pharaonic Egypt was 100% Black for it's entire history. Pharaonic Egypt engaged in colonialism, imperialism and slavery. So in that regard I have to ask, when are Black people going to pay reparations for that?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
One of the show's creators even stated this, "Don't let the schools or anyone try to tell you differently, Cleopatra was Black".
In other news...

The Tooth Fairy documentary is about to hit theaters. The Tooth Fairy is accurately portrayed by an African pigmy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'm not going to go into a lot of detail about this but will focus on one very problematic aspect.
The show portrays Cleopatra as Black. Now, this wouldn't be an issue (other then the usual pathetic and desperate race swapping) but this show is being marketed as a "documentary". One of the show's creators even stated this, "Don't let the schools or anyone try to tell you differently, Cleopatra was Black".

Problem is, for something that labels itself as a "documentary" it gets the most important, most basic fact dead-ass wrong. Cleopatra was NOT Black, unless one is willing to ignore the plethora of archaeological evidence that Cleo was most likely a Macedonian Greek, and the total lack of archaeological evidence that she was Black.
Now, it could well be that the Pharaonic era in Egypt began with Black Pharaohs but by the time of Cleo the Pharaonic line was clearly Ptolemaic.

What the show is doing is called 'blackwashing'. An Egyptian lawyer is suing Netflix and the show runners for cultural appropriation and "trying to erase the Egyptian identity".

Now, some mental midgets are suggesting that no one knows for sure if Cleo was Black or not because "her race was unlikely to be documented". But it was, in coins. The profile of Cleo on those ancient coins is clearly the profile of a Greek person, not an African person.

Jada Pinkett Smith, an executive producer on the show, recently explained the controversial depiction on Netflix’s promotional website Tudum.
“We don’t often get to see or hear stories about Black queens, and that was really important for me, as well as for my daughter, and just for my community to be able to know those stories because there are tons of them!” the actor and talk show host said.

Especially when you engage in race swapping and historical revisionism, right Jada?

But let's go with the notion that Pharaonic Egypt was 100% Black for it's entire history. Pharaonic Egypt engaged in colonialism, imperialism and slavery. So in that regard I have to ask, when are Black people going to pay reparations for that?
Right after you do.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

But she is always hot .

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Interesting. You're delighted that Cleopatra is not being portrayed by a Black actress, and totally OK with the fact that she's being portrayed by a Jewish actress.

So, can we conclude that it's OK for Ashkenazi Jews to play Macedonian Greeks, but not Africans?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So, can we conclude that it's OK for Ashkenazi Jews to play Macedonian Greeks, but not Africans?
For one Ashkenazi Jew isn't a race but if you want nitty gritty Ashkenazis we're Byzantines that converted.

That's far far close to Greek than a black.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
For one Ashkenazi Jew isn't a race but if you want nitty gritty Ashkenazis we're Byzantines that converted.

DNA tests for all actors! What percentage of "Black" should render someone ineligible to play Cleopatra or Capt. Kirk?

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Interesting. You're delighted that Cleopatra is not being portrayed by a Black actress, and totally OK with the fact that she's being portrayed by a Jewish actress.

Well, we can certainly conclude you have no idea what a documentary is, or at least what a documentary is supposed to be.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You tell me.

First explain the purpose of blackwashing and I'll get back to you.
About the same as the purpose of whitewashing.

Fact is, we don't know what race or racial mix Cleopatra was.

As far as Jin's claim of the artifacts that portray her, yeah, they were photographically accurate.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
About the same as the purpose of whitewashing.

Fact is, we don't know what race or racial mix Cleopatra was.

As far as Jin's claim of the artifacts that portray her, yeah, they were photographically accurate.
Yeah I see what you mean. It's impossible to tell what colour/race this character is.

1684338570248.png

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
In other news...the Malcolm X documentary is coming out, and Malcolm is accurately portrayed by a caucasian albino.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

Jewish is a race.

Used to be, anyhow.

Daniel Day-Lewis, an Irish Jew, played Abraham Lincoln. Nobody lost their shit.

Last edited: