Canada needs to boost home building by 50 per cent to keep up with immigration, report says

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Incompetence Minister Miller seems rot have lost site of the fact that all these homes would not be needed if we were not bringing in so many immigrants. This massive spending spree, most of which is borrowed money is only to create the illusion of a robust economy, when in fact Canada is close to bankruptcy. Certain connected people will make out like the bandits they are, while everyone else starves.
And the fact that 45,000 construction workers have lost their jobs! If housing was such an issue, why were these people laid off? So that immigrants can be paid less money to do the same job? I doubt if many of these illegals have any sort of skill at all. The Incompetence of Miller is extraordinary isn't it?

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
My pension is not keeping up with inflation. So it is back to work.
My husband & I are doing ok but when one of us "kicks the bucket" as with all seniors, the one left will be much poorer due to the income being cut literally in half which is why one needs to be debt free by that time because the income won't be enough to pay for a roof overhead & have food much less pay any bills.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
My husband & I are doing ok but when one of us "kicks the bucket" as with all seniors, the one left will be much poorer due to the income being cut literally in half which is why one needs to be debt free by that time because the income won't be enough to pay for a roof overhead & have food much less pay any bills.
This is something most people don't think about.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
This is something most people don't think about.
I was fortunate as in my work in bankruptcy because it soon became clear that we could find ourselves in a pickle if we didn't smarten up. Thankfully, hubby was on board & now we're in a good place. It didn't take me long to realize that kids need this information but it's not being taught. I feel bad cuz it seems wants takes priority over needs.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I was fortunate as in my work in bankruptcy because it soon became clear that we could find ourselves in a pickle if we didn't smarten up. Thankfully, hubby was on board & now we're in a good place. It didn't take me long to realize that kids need this information but it's not being taught. I feel bad cuz it seems wants takes priority over needs.
That's good to learn. For a while, I was in a program called "Street Law." We'd go into schools and jails and teach stuff like landlord/tenant, consumer rights, warranty issues, dealing with the taxman, alternate dispute resolution, small-claims courts (no lawyers, minimum filing fees, you tell your story, other person tells theirs, and the judge rules on the spot) and the fundamentals of financial literacy.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
That's good to learn. For a while, I was in a program called "Street Law." We'd go into schools and jails and teach stuff like landlord/tenant, consumer rights, warranty issues, dealing with the taxman, alternate dispute resolution, small-claims courts (no lawyers, minimum filing fees, you tell your story, other person tells theirs, and the judge rules on the spot) and the fundamentals of financial literacy.
Boy could we use that now!!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Boy could we use that now!!!
It remains shocking to me that schools are more interested in teaching who won the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain or how to work a quadratic equation than what to do if your heat is out and the landlord won't do anything about it, or how to get paid by the lube shop that put the wrong oil filter on your car without spending more on a lawyer than the whole case is worth.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canadians are famously pro-immigrant. Possibly because we are so famously polite that we don’t dare question bringing in another 60-odd million people to turn our fabled environment into one continuous strip mall from Saint John to Surrey.

To dissent against mass immigration risks wild accusations of bigotry. But what doesn’t nowadays? Like the joke about the patient who calls every single Rorschach ink blot a nude woman, then when the psychiatrist suggests he has a sexual obsession retorts, “Hey doc, you’re the one showing all the dirty pictures,” our elites increasingly see white supremacy in every defence of our heritage then say “Hey Canuck, you’re the one obsessed with race.”

Not everyone goes as far as our prime minister with his claim of an ongoing genocide in Canada on his watch. But the federal cabinet did approve a state-funded pamphlet from the Canadian Anti-Hate Network declaring the Red Ensign a red flag for white supremacy because it “denotes a desire to return to Canada’s demographics before 1967 when it was predominantly white.”

Do the Trudeau Liberals not concede that someone from afar, not remotely white let alone predominantly, might regard Canada’s heritage of individual liberty, capitalist prosperity and resolute defence of freedom as something to be admired and embraced? That someone who does not look like me, or them, might take their children to the Vimy Memorial and shed tears over the fallen?

Apparently not. It only recently dawned on them, with Muslim parents protesting radical sex ed, that not every non-white person is automatically left-wing in every dimension. And the Liberals are still struggling with not every white person being a right-wing xenophobic clod, though Justin Trudeau himself is only occasionally cosmetically non-white. But trying to stifle real debate with nonsense about bringing in immigrants to build homes for immigrants we bring in to build homes for immigrants is insolent, particularly as the housing crisis gets worse, not better, as people pour in. (Toronto is nearly half foreign-born, for instance.)

Of course if you’re trying to immigrate to Canada you favour a relatively open border. But once you succeed, and realize this country is everything you hoped for plus lakes and loons, you might well decide that as soon as you bring in your immediate family we should reduce the inflow dramatically.

Of course it derives from the more general, insulting notion that Canadians are such shlumps that without new immigrants we won’t work hard or effectively at anything. And not just those of us born in this notorious land of slackers; the millions who have poured in over the past quarter-century, and their offspring, are evidently assimilated to our culture of sloth so rapidly they can no longer be bothered hoisting a two by four instead of a 2-4 or something.

With the Australian government hiring a consultant for advice on dealing with consultants, Momus, the Greek god of satire, retreats helplessly from the stage. Which is too bad since we could use a satirical hand, or mouth, when told Canada’s minister of immigration says we must bring in an endless stream of immigrants to build houses for the endless stream of immigrants we’re bringing in to build … um … hang on a second.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canadians are famously pro-immigrant. Possibly because we are so famously polite that we don’t dare question bringing in another 60-odd million people to turn our fabled environment into one continuous strip mall from Saint John to Surrey.
Canada is 156 years old and I've lived through a third of it. Politeness has nothing to do with it. It's 156 years old.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I read an article a few weeks back by some clod that thought Canada should look to increase our population to at least 100million. All based on the notion that it would increase demand for services and goods. No consideration for the fact that 2/3 of the country is a frozen wasteland for much of the year. Even less thought to how we would supply water, and remove waste, if all those 100 million love in the narrow belt along the US border. Probably figured on employing many of the new residents to chop ice and melt it to bring water hundreds of miles to where people live.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I read an article a few weeks back by some clod that thought Canada should look to increase our population to at least 100million. All based on the notion that it would increase demand for services and goods. No consideration for the fact that 2/3 of the country is a frozen wasteland for much of the year. Even less thought to how we would supply water, and remove waste, if all those 100 million love in the narrow belt along the US border. Probably figured on employing many of the new residents to chop ice and melt it to bring water hundreds of miles to where people live.
We don't have water shortages. Are you high?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Following months of pressure from refugee advocacy groups and opposition parties, the federal government says it is thinking about increasing the number of Afghans it can bring to Canada.

"It's safe to say publicly that we will show some flexibility," said Immigration Minister Marc Miller, referring to the goal the Liberal Party set during the last federal election campaign of bringing 40,000 Afghan refugees to Canada.

"There is some uncertainty in the number of people obviously that assisted Canada and clearly what their family members, who their family members are, and the level of risk that those people face in that country. And it's not like Canada will hit a number and walk away from the table."

1692209811788.jpeg
Etc….

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Following months of pressure from refugee advocacy groups and opposition parties, the federal government says it is thinking about increasing the number of Afghans it can bring to Canada.

"It's safe to say publicly that we will show some flexibility," said Immigration Minister Marc Miller, referring to the goal the Liberal Party set during the last federal election campaign of bringing 40,000 Afghan refugees to Canada.

"There is some uncertainty in the number of people obviously that assisted Canada and clearly what their family members, who their family members are, and the level of risk that those people face in that country. And it's not like Canada will hit a number and walk away from the table."

View attachment 18997
Etc….
Did Miller pinky swear?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton

To dissent against mass immigration risks wild accusations of bigotry. But what doesn’t nowadays? Like the joke about the patient who calls every single Rorschach ink blot a nude woman, then when the psychiatrist suggests he has a sexual obsession retorts, “Hey doc, you’re the one showing all the dirty pictures,” our elites increasingly see white supremacy in every defence of our heritage then say “Hey Canuck, you’re the one obsessed with race.”

Not everyone goes as far as our prime minister with his claim of an ongoing genocide in Canada on his watch. But the federal cabinet did approve a state-funded pamphlet from the Canadian Anti-Hate Network declaring the Red Ensign a red flag for white supremacy because it “denotes a desire to return to Canada’s demographics before 1967 when it was predominantly white.”

Do the Trudeau Liberals not concede that someone from afar, not remotely white let alone predominantly, might regard Canada’s heritage of individual liberty, capitalist prosperity and resolute defence of freedom as something to be admired and embraced? That someone who does not look like me, or them, might take their children to the Vimy Memorial and shed tears over the fallen?

Apparently not. It only recently dawned on them, with Muslim parents protesting radical sex ed, that not every non-white person is automatically left-wing in every dimension. And the Liberals are still struggling with not every white person being a right-wing xenophobic clod, though Justin Trudeau himself is only occasionally cosmetically non-white. But trying to stifle real debate with nonsense about bringing in immigrants to build homes for immigrants we bring in to build homes for immigrants is insolent, particularly as the housing crisis gets worse, not better, as people pour in. (Toronto is nearly half foreign-born, for instance.)

Of course if you’re trying to immigrate to Canada you favour a relatively open border. But once you succeed, and realize this country is everything you hoped for plus lakes and loons, you might well decide that as soon as you bring in your immediate family we should reduce the inflow dramatically.

Of course it derives from the more general, insulting notion that Canadians are such shlumps that without new immigrants we won’t work hard or effectively at anything. And not just those of us born in this notorious land of slackers; the millions who have poured in over the past quarter-century, and their offspring, are evidently assimilated to our culture of sloth so rapidly they can no longer be bothered hoisting a two by four instead of a 2-4 or something.

With the Australian government hiring a consultant for advice on dealing with consultants, Momus, the Greek god of satire, retreats helplessly from the stage. Which is too bad since we could use a satirical hand, or mouth, when told Canada’s minister of immigration says we must bring in an endless stream of immigrants to build houses for the endless stream of immigrants we’re bringing in to build … um … hang on a second.
I, along with I suspect most Canadians, welcome immigrants after all we all came from immigrants but LEGAL immigration in a controlled manner so we can absorb them with housing, jobs, etc. As it stands now, these people are being manipulated, used & abused (and living on the streets). How compassionate is this?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I, along with I suspect most Canadians, welcome immigrants after all we all came from immigrants but LEGAL immigration in a controlled manner so we can absorb them with housing, jobs, etc. As it stands now, these people are being manipulated, used & abused (and living on the streets). How compassionate is this?
Brings as many as possible that can help build. A country 156 years old should still have building trades as the top employers. It's far from being finished.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Gets weirder too. After coming to office on promises of “affordable housing,” Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said this week it’s not a “federal responsibility.”

“I’ll be blunt … housing is not a primary federal responsibility, it’s not something that we have direct carriage of,” Trudeau said at a Monday press conference announcing the opening of several federally subsidized housing complexes in Hamilton, Ont.
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he knows young people are frustrated with him, and chief among those frustrations is the high cost of housing, which has left many young people feeling home ownership is out of reach.

However, Trudeau denies critics who suggest the federal government only began taking the housing file seriously in the last few months.
The Liberals’ 2015 campaign platform promised “affordable housing for Canadians.” “We have a plan to make housing more affordable for those who need it most – seniors, persons with disabilities, lower-income families, and Canadians working hard to join the middle class,” Trudeau said at the time.
Because it’s 2015-ish…
Housing affordability was actually one of the first issues championed by Trudeau when he first entered the House of Commons as a Liberal backbencher in 2008.
When pressed on Ottawa’s role in immigration-related strains, Trudeau said it’s a matter of working with all stakeholders? Stakeholders???

“Of course, we all bear responsibility. This is a challenge that we have to work on all together,” Trudeau said.
In 2015, the average Canadian home price stood at $413,000. Now, according to the latest estimates from the Canadian Real Estate Association, average home prices have risen to $702,409 — an increase of about 70 per cent.
Even though the Trudeau government has made no secret of dialling up immigration to historic highs, the latest Statistics Canada figures on population growth are still jaw-dropping. In just three months (from July 1 to Oct. 1), Canada added an extra 430,635 people – only four per cent of which could be attributed to births. For just the first nine months of 2023, Statistics Canada noted that the country had seen a higher level of population growth than “any other full-year period since Confederation in 1867.”
Shelter costs have been even worse for renters. In 2015, the median rent across Canada’s 35 largest urban centres stood at $966 per month. As of the latest figures from Rentals.ca, that figure has almost doubled to a median rent of $1,811 per month for a one-bedroom.
Naturally, you can’t add this many people all at once without it having knock-on effects. And there is good evidence that the immigration surge is a prime contributor to the skyrocketing cost of Canadian housing. It’s also cancelling out almost all of Canada’s post-pandemic job growth. In November, the country added 25,000 jobs, but unemployment went up anyway because so many new immigrants had joined the work force. “Growth in the population continued to outpace employment growth,” wrote the Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey.
Reporters at the Hamilton event noted that Trudeau was cutting the ribbon on an affordable housing complex at which average rents would be $1,400 a month, and where the cutoff for household income stood at $90,000. “Is this what is being considered affordable in Hamilton at this point?” asked a reporter.
Say that you carved out an uninhabited piece of Northern Saskatchewan and between July 1 and Oct. 1 you directed every single newcomer to move there and found a new city. By Oct. 2, that would be Canada’s 11th largest metro area; larger than Victoria, Halifax, Windsor or Saskatoon.
…The Trudeau government also retains unilateral control over one of the most conspicuous policies driving up demand for Canadian real estate: immigration. The Trudeau government has dramatically increased Canada’s immigration quotas, leading to an unprecedented one million new residents entering the country last year.
In 2014 — the last full year before the election of Justin Trudeau — Canada brought in 260,400 immigrants. And that was really high for the time. As Statistics Canada noted, it was “one of the highest levels in more than 100 years.” The figure easily ranked then-prime minister Stephen Harper as the most pro-immigration conservative leader on the entire planet.

A mere nine years later, 260,000 is a drop in the bucket. At current rates, that would account for just 52 days’ worth of immigration.
The result is a rate of national population growth that is dramatically outstripping home construction. Although home building was up for 2022, the year closed with a raw number of housing “starts” standing at only 240,590.
According to the absolute best-case scenario (his Housing anAcceleration Fund) envisioned by Trudeau Liberal planners, this fund could build 100,000 new homes by 2025. If each of the homes end up being occupied by three people — the average Canadian household size — this means that the Trudeau government’s signature homebuilding policy will only provide enough shelter space for approximately 60 days’ worth of new migrants.

One particularly telling statistic from last year was that Canada brought in roughly the same raw number of migrants as the United States — a country 10 times the size (and one with far more reasonable real estate prices)…And that’s despite the fact that U.S. net migration is hitting ten-year highs.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says he knows young people are frustrated with him, and chief among those frustrations is the high cost of housing, which has left many young people feeling home ownership is out of reach.

However, Trudeau denies critics who suggest the federal government only began taking the housing file seriously in the last few months.

Because it’s 2015-ish…

When pressed on Ottawa’s role in immigration-related strains, Trudeau said it’s a matter of working with all stakeholders? Stakeholders???

“Of course, we all bear responsibility. This is a challenge that we have to work on all together,” Trudeau said.

Even though the Trudeau government has made no secret of dialling up immigration to historic highs, the latest Statistics Canada figures on population growth are still jaw-dropping. In just three months (from July 1 to Oct. 1), Canada added an extra 430,635 people – only four per cent of which could be attributed to births. For just the first nine months of 2023, Statistics Canada noted that the country had seen a higher level of population growth than “any other full-year period since Confederation in 1867.”

Naturally, you can’t add this many people all at once without it having knock-on effects. And there is good evidence that the immigration surge is a prime contributor to the skyrocketing cost of Canadian housing. It’s also cancelling out almost all of Canada’s post-pandemic job growth. In November, the country added 25,000 jobs, but unemployment went up anyway because so many new immigrants had joined the work force. “Growth in the population continued to outpace employment growth,” wrote the Statistics Canada Labour Force Survey.

Say that you carved out an uninhabited piece of Northern Saskatchewan and between July 1 and Oct. 1 you directed every single newcomer to move there and found a new city. By Oct. 2, that would be Canada’s 11th largest metro area; larger than Victoria, Halifax, Windsor or Saskatoon.

In 2014 — the last full year before the election of Justin Trudeau — Canada brought in 260,400 immigrants. And that was really high for the time. As Statistics Canada noted, it was “one of the highest levels in more than 100 years.” The figure easily ranked then-prime minister Stephen Harper as the most pro-immigration conservative leader on the entire planet.

A mere nine years later, 260,000 is a drop in the bucket. At current rates, that would account for just 52 days’ worth of immigration.

According to the absolute best-case scenario (his Housing anAcceleration Fund) envisioned by Trudeau Liberal planners, this fund could build 100,000 new homes by 2025. If each of the homes end up being occupied by three people — the average Canadian household size — this means that the Trudeau government’s signature homebuilding policy will only provide enough shelter space for approximately 60 days’ worth of new migrants.

One particularly telling statistic from last year was that Canada brought in roughly the same raw number of migrants as the United States — a country 10 times the size (and one with far more reasonable real estate prices)…And that’s despite the fact that U.S. net migration is hitting ten-year highs.
There are plenty of good things to cheer about when it comes to immigration and Canada. We are getting young, educated, single people.

They don't require any investment. They are instant taxpayers that are here to work.