“Wokeness” in Canada and elsewhere…

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
Saving one hour and eighteen minutes of your life.
Some of the worst acting known to peoplekind
(dude! Justin! peoplemean!, not kind),
surpassed only by its pathetic plot and script.
And yet it's accurately woke in that women are in charge and everything goes to hell.
my take-away: go woke, go to hell
lol

1703086366441.png

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
To be honest, I don't know. But then again, I don't give a flying fig if someone uses the right pronoun for me so...

I don't know the sexual orientation or the pronouns of anyone on the site, and I don't care.

So if you use the wrong pronoun for someone, when they ask "please don't" you respect that. That's fine.
When I meet people for the first time, I don't ask about gender. I say, "Hi, I'm Mark, what's your name?" Not, "What are you or how do you identify?"
And let me be abundantly clear: you said I was being disrespectful to trans people because I said I don't use pronouns. You can disagree with every community and not be labeled as anti or bigoted, except when it comes to this issue.. People immediately jump all over you. A lot of that 'my way or the highway attitude' actually breeds transphobia.

As for the school comparison, I said if kids are scared to go home because Mom and Dad are abusive, then case by case.
The trans agenda in schools, including talking about prepubescent blockers, is creepy as hell and I stand against that. Teachers are not psychologists and doctors and need to keep families in the loop.

As for safe space. You'd think it was open season on trans people in Canada, and that is utter nonsense. What we have is a tyrannical minority dictating public policy and that is as unacceptable as the church dictating public policy.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don't know the sexual orientation or the pronouns of anyone on the site, and I don't care.

When I meet people for the first time, I don't ask about gender. I say, "Hi, I'm Mark, what's your name?" Not, "What are you or how do you identify?"
And let me be abundantly clear: you said I was being disrespectful to trans people because I said I don't use pronouns. You can disagree with every community and not be labeled as anti or bigoted, except when it comes to this issue.. People immediately jump all over you. A lot of that 'my way or the highway attitude' actually breeds transphobia.

As for the school comparison, I said if kids are scared to go home because Mom and Dad are abusive, then case by case.
The trans agenda in schools, including talking about prepubescent blockers, is creepy as hell and I stand against that. Teachers are not psychologists and doctors and need to keep families in the loop.

As for safe space. You'd think it was open season on trans people in Canada, and that is utter nonsense. What we have is a tyrannical minority dictating public policy and that is as unacceptable as the church dictating public policy.
My pronouns are "high and mighty lord" and "His Dudeness." My sexual orientation is head toward the east, feet every which damn way.

Now you know.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Neither do I. That's a good thing.

First off, glad you are like that.

A lot of people aren't, especially if the person they're meeting "doesn't pass". A lot of times the question isn't "what are you or how do you identify" but "Do you have a penis?" and other inappropriate questions.

If more people were like you about it, there'd be less problems. Perhaps you should spout off on those people.

And let me be abundantly clear: you said I was being disrespectful to trans people because I said I don't use pronouns.

I said you were being disrespectful to trans people if you don't use their pronouns IF they ask you to use the proper ones instead of something incorrect. Are you claiming it's not disrespectful when someone asks you not to do something in their regard, and you ignore it, and do it anyway? Maybe that's another thing you need to share with others, cause I've met and dealt with people who get uptight if you don't use the proper name, or the name they go by, and instead go by their legal name. So maybe tell those people to get over it too, right?

You can disagree with every community and not be labeled as anti or bigoted,

Ha - no, where do you get that?

I suggest you try to disagree with the black community, latino, native, etc. Depending on what it is you disagree with them about, and who it is, hell yes you will be labeled as anti or bigoted. If you haven't, you either isolate yourself, never interact with them, or just have been extremely lucky.

except when it comes to this issue.. People immediately jump all over you.

Yes, because when you are misgendered, or denied who you are, your whole life, it tends to make you pissed off when you are "an adult and can make those decisions" as we're often told.

A lot of that 'my way or the highway attitude' actually breeds transphobia.

And racists and bigots and anti-religious nutbags, yada yada. Trying to make it seem like only trans people have the issue is rather... ignorant on your part.

True enough, don't deny the validity of that.

The trans agenda in schools, including talking about prepubescent blockers, is creepy as hell and I stand against that.

Then you don't let your kids do that stuff.

You don't have the right to push other parents to deny that to their kids, if they agree to it.

As for the "trans agenda"... ffs. What, pray tell, is this agenda? And don't spout conspiracy theories or anything, you claim there's an agenda, then share it. If the agenda is acceptance and just allowing kids - be they trans, nonbinary, gender fluid or other - to be themselves then okay, you got it, that's the agenda. Anything other than that is fear mongering and bigotry.

Teachers are not psychologists and doctors and need to keep families in the loop.

Teachers work for the Government. I thought Government should keep out of the business of family?

You're also assuming doctors aren't keeping families in the loop? I don't know where you are getting this idea from but doctors are NOT, nor can they, deny parents being "in the loop" UNLESS the kid is over 16 (or whatever age of approved medical independence there is in whatever province; here in NB it's 16). Then the parents are shit out of luck. Under 16, parents have to be part of the equation if we're talking medical stuff. Now, privately, if the kid wants to be out and not inform the parents, that's got nothing to do with doctors or teachers at all.

As for safe space. You'd think it was open season on trans people in Canada, and that is utter nonsense.

Is it? It's certainly not care free, happily accepted with no issues what so ever. If trans people are still being threatened, abused, denied being allowed to exist, then it's certainly "something" going on.

What we have is a tyrannical minority dictating public policy and that is as unacceptable as the church dictating public policy.

I will somewhat agree with you there. There is a minority trying to dictate public policy.

We should STOP this "All Children Matter" insanity. We should STOP this Recognition Day madness. We should stop all things recognizing the suffering of Native peoples.

Or wait. No, sorry.

We should STOP all this "Black Lives Matter" insanity (I know too many will agree with that). We should STOP this "Black people were oppressed" madness and making apologies to the Black community. We should stop all things recognizing the suffering of Black and other PoC peoples.

... damn, not them either?

Oh! French! That's it.

We should STOP all this "Acadian" insanity. We should STOP this push for French all across Canada and especially in NB as it's just madness. After all, they're going to be low on the minority pole now in NB shortly so why should they/we care, right? Fuck them and their Acadian days, etc. We should stop recognizing all the uniqueness of the Acadians and what they've suffered and had to deal with in Canada...

I hope you get the point.

Sure, there are some trans people who are out there, outrageous and do more damage than good for the community, and denying otherwise is just stupid. But the vast majority of trans people aren't "tyrannical", they just want to live their lives as the person they are. Instead, you have people continually denying they should even exist, demand they be exterminated, pile abuse upon abuse on them and outright lie that so long as they're adult they're free to be who they are... all of which is absolute bullshit.

I dare you, or anyone, to have to exist like that and NOT be just a tad pissed off and defensive about their existence.

And just FYI - the church HAS dictated public policy, people fought to reject it, and sometimes it works.

Sometimes it doesn't.

It's great you don't care about trans people to misgender them and so on. Not everyone has that. And they are the ones trans people need to deal with.

Not you.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I dare you, or anyone, to have to exist like that and NOT be just a tad pissed off and defensive about their existence.

And just FYI - the church HAS dictated public policy, people fought to reject it, and sometimes it works.

Sometimes it doesn't.

It's great you don't care about trans people to misgender them and so on. Not everyone has that. And they are the ones trans people need to deal with.

There was a young mechanic who went by a male name; I'll say Gene, because I don't want to use the person's real name. Gene was a little different; he didn't look you in the eye, and I am saying he because I never used a pronoun for Gene. Just accepted what I saw and the name and Gene was cool. Always offered me potato chips. Gene loved plain Lays potato chips.

One year, Gene showed up at our company Christmas party dressed as a woman, and us redneck truckers ate and drank merrily with Gene that night, and on Monday, when Gene came back dressed in what would be considered male attire, no one said a word. You know why, because he was part of our family, and trust me, there were plenty of fellows surprised, but I didn't hear one bad word about Gene. I don't know what Gene's pronouns really were. I know that after the company went bust and we scattered, Gene ended up in a company with a good boss, and everyone over there loved Gene.

Gene's mom had to go to the retirement home that year, and Gene became homeless, taking care of her bills. Gene was sleeping in the truck and working. Then Gene's Mom died, and then Gene didn't show up for work. The boss called the police and filed a missing person. They found Gene the next day, hung by the neck in an abandoned truck stop. When I heard this, I teared up; I talked to some old drivers, and we shared memories and broken hearts for Gene.

I guess once Gene's mom was gone, the will to live was gone. Gene was a sweet soul.

You can disagree with something and still have humanity, and that's what we need to work toward.

Where's the fucking Kleenex?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
There was a young mechanic who went by a male name; I'll say Gene, because I don't want to use the person's real name. Gene was a little different; he didn't look you in the eye, and I am saying he because I never used a pronoun for Gene. Just accepted what I saw and the name and Gene was cool. Always offered me potato chips. Gene loved plain Lays potato chips.

One year, Gene showed up at our company Christmas party dressed as a woman, and us redneck truckers ate and drank merrily with Gene that night, and on Monday, when Gene came back dressed in what would be considered male attire, no one said a word. You know why, because he was part of our family, and trust me, there were plenty of fellows surprised, but I didn't hear one bad word about Gene. I don't know what Gene's pronouns really were. I know that after the company went bust and we scattered, Gene ended up in a company with a good boss, and everyone over there loved Gene.

Gene's mom had to go to the retirement home that year, and Gene became homeless, taking care of her bills. Gene was sleeping in the truck and working. Then Gene's Mom died, and then Gene didn't show up for work. The boss called the police and filed a missing person. They found Gene the next day, hung by the neck in an abandoned truck stop. When I heard this, I teared up; I talked to some old drivers, and we shared memories and broken hearts for Gene.

I guess once Gene's mom was gone, the will to live was gone. Gene was a sweet soul.

You can disagree with something and still have humanity, and that's what we need to work toward.

I'm sorry for your friend, I really am.

The problem is, while YOU and others around you might have been good to him, there are too many others out there who wouldn't be, and aren't, to trans people in general.

Yes, you can disagree and still have humanity; too many disagree and DON'T have humanity.

It's not about you, it's about the others who are NOT like you.

And the fact that similar situations happen, only people won't share memories about people like Gene, they will celebrate that he hung himself.

THAT is the problem, issue, and what trans people fight against.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009

1703241732096.png

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

And many slaves were beloved members of the families to whom they were enslaved.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I'm sorry for your friend, I really am.

The problem is, while YOU and others around you might have been good to him, there are too many others out there who wouldn't be, and aren't, to trans people in general.

Yes, you can disagree and still have humanity; too many disagree and DON'T have humanity.

It's not about you, it's about the others who are NOT like you.

And the fact that similar situations happen, only people won't share memories about people like Gene, they will celebrate that he hung himself.

THAT is the problem, issue, and what trans people fight against.
Ever think that Gene was accepted because Gene didn't stomp feet, scream at people or flame?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

It's not hard to figure out anti-trans rhetoric.

Anything that denies trans people the right to be themselves, whether adult or child.

Being bigoted/phobic of a trans person all because they are trans.

Abusing - verbally, emotionally or otherwise - a trans person all because they're trans.

Not sure what's so hard about that.

Do you need examples?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
rhet·o·ric
/ˈredərik/
noun
1 the art of effective or persuasive speaking or writing, especially the use of figures of speech and other compositional techniques.
"he is using a common figure of rhetoric, hyperbole"
Similar:
oratory
eloquence
power of speech
command of language
expression
way with words
delivery
diction
2. language designed to have a persuasive or impressive effect on its audience, but often regarded as lacking in sincerity or meaningful content.
"all we have from the Opposition is empty rhetoric"
Similar:
bombast
loftiness
turgidity
grandiloquence
magniloquence
ornateness

Reactions: Dixie Cup