“Wokeness” in Canada and elsewhere…

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in a recent sexual assault case that it was “problematic” for a lower court judge to refer to the alleged victim as a “woman,” implying that the more appropriate term should have been “person with a vagina.”

In a decision published Friday, Justice Sheilah Martin wrote that a trial judge’s use of the word “a woman” may “have been unfortunate and engendered confusion.”

Martin does not specify why the word “woman” is confusing, but the next passage in her decision refers to the complainant as a “person with a vagina.” Notably, not one person in the entire case is identified as transgender, and the complainant is referred to throughout as a “she.”

The case was R. v. Kruk, which involved a 2017 charge of sexual assault against then 34-year-old Maple Ridge, B.C., man Charles Kruk.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Supreme Court of Canada ruled in a recent sexual assault case that it was “problematic” for a lower court judge to refer to the alleged victim as a “woman,” implying that the more appropriate term should have been “person with a vagina.”

In a decision published Friday, Justice Sheilah Martin wrote that a trial judge’s use of the word “a woman” may “have been unfortunate and engendered confusion.”

Martin does not specify why the word “woman” is confusing, but the next passage in her decision refers to the complainant as a “person with a vagina.” Notably, not one person in the entire case is identified as transgender, and the complainant is referred to throughout as a “she.”

The case was R. v. Kruk, which involved a 2017 charge of sexual assault against then 34-year-old Maple Ridge, B.C., man Charles Kruk.
Yep, that does it. Y'all are officially out to a long, LOOOOOONG lunch.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Yep, that does it. Y'all are officially out to a long, LOOOOOONG lunch.
I sited the “R. v. Kruk” so you wouldn’t have to click a link. Basically, dude picks up a drunk chick and takes her to his home, & she wakes up with no pants or panties and knows something has been inside her.

She’s not confused about her being a woman, he’s not confused about being a man, & there’s no transgender anyone involved in the situation. Only confusion is in court with pronouns, etc…& not even the court that heard the trial, but a court above that court that wasn’t present for the trial.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I sited the “R. v. Kruk” so you wouldn’t have to click a link. Basically, dude picks up a drunk chick and takes her to his home, & she wakes up with no pants or panties and knows something has been inside her.

She’s not confused about her being a woman, he’s not confused about being a man, & there’s no transgender anyone involved in the situation. Only confusion is in court with pronouns, etc…& not even the court that heard the trial, but a court above that court that wasn’t present for the trial.
Try explaining like this. Ham picks up a drunk pepperoni who wakes up feeling as though pepperoni was violated by a salami...etc etc etc

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The term “person with a vagina” made its legal debut in Canada last Friday. It’s inclusive-speak for “woman,” and now it’s part of the vernacular of the Supreme Court.

The decision in which it was used, R v. Kruk, dealt with sexual assault, and whether it was correct in law to assume that women know when they are being penetrated by a penis. The answer turned out to be yes, as one would imagine, but the reasoning to get there took a bizarre route. Writing for all judges (except for Justice Malcolm Rowe, who wrote a concurring opinion), Justice Sheila Martin wrote:

“Where a person with a vagina testifies credibly and with certainty that they felt penile‑vaginal penetration, a trial judge must be entitled to conclude that they are unlikely to be mistaken.

“While the choice of the trial judge to use the words ‘a woman’ may have been unfortunate and engendered confusion, in context, it is clear the judge was reasoning that it was extremely unlikely that the complainant would be mistaken about the feeling of penile‑vaginal penetration.”

This wasn’t a ruling on how to properly identify the sexes. Indeed, what it was trying to do was make the distinction between women in general, “a woman,” and a particular woman at the centre of the case. But the effort to dispel any confusion did not pay off, and the passage ended up puzzling lawyers and laymen alike. While the decision mentioned the word “woman” more than 20 times, in one instance, it opted to crudely identify people — in this case, the victim of a rape — by their genitals. The vocabulary used isn’t central to the case, but it’s still noteworthy, given that it was deliberately chosen.

To gender ideologues, this is “inclusionary language.” The same goes for “chestfeeding parent” (a term used by Alberta Health Services and others), or “menstruators” (used by Women and Gender Equality Canada). This is because, to them, manhood and womanhood are two ends of a gender spectrum along which any person can identify at any time, regardless of one’s physical body. It’s not fair to tie gender to biology, goes the thinking, as it will end up excluding some of the 0.3 per cent of Canadians who identify as transgender.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'EXTREME WOKENESS': Bill Maher calls Canada 'a cautionary tale' for America
'There's only one problem with thinking everything's better in Canada: It's not'

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Apr 15, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 5 minute read

Bill Maher
Bill Maher has warned liberals about being the ideological "gas pedal" in politics.
Bill Maher took aim at Canada calling the country a “cautionary tale” and warning that its embrace of “extreme wokeness” is forcing voters to the right.

During a monologue last week on Real Time With Bill Maher, the late-night personality compared Canada to America and carefully demonstrated how high unemployment, unchecked immigration, skyrocketing debt and lack of productivity are seeing the country falling further and further behind its G7 counterparts.

“If we want to save our country, we should learn from other progressive nations and pump the brakes on extreme wokeness,” Maher wrote in a caption that accompanied a clip posted to YouTube.

“If we want to save our country, we should follow the advice good liberals have given for decades and learn from other countries. Especially those beacons of progressivism like Canada, England and Scandinavia, and I agree we should, as long as we’re honest about the lessons we’re learning and as long as we’re up to date on the current data,” Maher began his eight-minute warning.

Maher then compared the unemployment rate in America (3.8%) and Canada (6.1%), and revealed that his neighbours to the north has more cities with worse air pollution than in the U.S.

He was careful to say he wasn’t trying to pick on Canada. “I love Canada and its people,” Maher said. “But I hate zombie lies. That’s when things change, but what people say about them doesn’t.”

For decades, Vancouver “seemed idyllic,” he said. But that’s no longer the case.

“Canada was where all the treasured goals of liberalism worked perfectly. It was like NPR come to life, but with poutine,” he quipped.

“Canada was the Statue of Liberty with a low-maintenance haircut and cross-country skis, a giant idealized blue state with single-payer health care, gun control and abortion on polite demand. Canada was where every woke White college kid wearing pajama pants outdoors who had it up to here with America’s racist patriarchy dreamt of living someday. I mean, besides Gaza,” Maher joked as his audience broke into laughter.

“There’s only one problem with thinking everything’s better in Canada: It’s not. Not anymore, anyway. Last year, Canada added 1.3 million people, which is a lot in one year — the equivalent of the U.S. adding 11 million migrants in one year. And now, they’re experiencing a housing crisis even worse than ours and we’re sleeping in tents. The median price of a home here is $346,000. In Canada converted to U.S. dollars, it’s $487,000. If Barbie moved to Winnipeg, she wouldn’t be able to afford her dream house and Ken would be working at Tim Hortons.”

Last month, the Canadian Press reported that people in Ontario and British Columbia increasingly missed payments on mortgages and credit cards in the fourth quarter of 2023, citing stats from Equifax Canada.

In Ontario, the mortgage delinquency rate was up 135.2% compared with a year earlier, while B.C.’s rate rose by 62.2%.

“It definitely is a worrying trend,” Rebecca Oakes, vice-president of advanced analytics at Equifax Canada, told CP.

Maher noted that because of mortgage debt, “Canada has the highest debt to GDP ratio of any G7 nation.”

He then took aim at the country’s “vaunted health-care system.”

“(It) ranks dead last among high income countries, and access to primary health care, and the ability to see a doctor in a day or two. And it’s not for lack of spending. Of the 30 countries with universal coverage, Canada spends over 13% of its economy on it, which is a lot of money for free health care. Look, I’m not saying Canada still isn’t a great country, it is, but those aren’t paradise numbers. If Canada was an apartment, the lead feature might be: ‘America adjacent.'”

With his audience breaking into gales of laughter, and one of his guests, Piers Morgan, also started to grin, Maher continued.

“Honestly Canada, I’m not saying any of this because I enjoy it. I don’t because I’ve always enjoyed you. But I need to cite you as a cautionary tale to help my country. And the moral of that tale is yes, you can move too far left,” Maher warned. “And when you do, you wind up pushing the people in the middle to the right. At its worst, Canada is what American voters think happens when there’s no one putting a check on extreme wokeness,” he said, citing Ontario trans teacher Kayla Lemieux, who went viral worldwide after images circulated of the instructor wearing massive prosthetic breasts in the classroom.

When it comes to showing proof her Z-cup breasts are real, controversial teacher Kayla Lemieux says the public is going to have to take her word for it, writes columnist Joe Warmington..
Oakville Trafalgar High School teacher Kayla Lemieux in shop class. Twitter
“What about the children?” Maher asked. “Who says, ‘When it comes to huge, ridiculous t—, let’s save that for the kids?’ … This is why people vote for Trump.”

“They say in politics, liberals are the gas pedal, and conservatives are the brakes, and I’m generally with the gas pedal, but not if we’re driving off a cliff,” he said.

Jumping to immigration, he cited Sweden opening its borders to “over a million and a half immigrants since 2010” which led to “20%” of its citizens being foreign born, its education system “tanking,” and Europe’s leader in “gangland killings.”

“One result is that the far-right parties are in the government now there for the first time. To which liberals say blaming immigrants for the rising crime rate is racist. Yeah, but is it true? Of course it’s true. It’s not a coincidence the quality of life went down after the Somali gangs started a drug turf war using hand grenades. Calling it racist doesn’t solve the problem. It hands future elections to someone who will solve the problem and who I promise you’re not going to like,” he said, flashing a photo of presumptive Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump.

“I’m a college educated Canadian, who works 40 hours per week in a white collar job, and I can’t afford to live in the country I was born in. Tough to date from your mom’s basement. America, do not go down the road we went… Bill is not wrong,” one person commented on YouTube.

“Eight years of Trudeau destroyed this country,” another added.

On X, Maher’s comments went viral, drawing nearly 42 million views and nearly 5,000 comments with many calling the TV personality’s assessment spot on.

“He’s 100% correct. This current government is running our country into the ground,” Canadian human rights campaigner Yasmine Mohammed wrote. “When I left four years ago, everyone abroad was so surprised ‘but Canada is so great’ ya, no. It’s great at propaganda. It’s hanging on to ‘zombie lies’. We were great. I hope we will be again.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

Reactions: petros