2024 CFL Season

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
First they complain the players will only sign one year deals. Then when they do sign a multi year agreement the teams ask to re-neg before the signing bonus is paid for year two or outright release the player despite a contract theoretically being in place. Major free pass for the GMs to start all over each year.

Second the bargaining tactic of calling the salary a bonus and paying as much as possible in a lump sum that is taxed at 15% for non residents maintaining a home in a foreign country. Bumping Kenny Lawler to a $150,000 bonus with a salary of $115,000 and housing benefits of $20,000 for a total of $285,000 of which just under $60,000 goes to tax. Any Canadian earning $285,000 pays $114,500 in tax. Sad part is the tax dollars spent on the infrastructure to support the players employment and then ask the tax payers to come out and buy tickets. Where is the C.R.A. on that one.

Still early but...

BC
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan (sorry Rider fans)

Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa

East will be a dogfight and the balanced schedule will lead to closer standings.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
First they complain the players will only sign one year deals. Then when they do sign a multi year agreement the teams ask to re-neg before the signing bonus is paid for year two or outright release the player despite a contract theoretically being in place. Major free pass for the GMs to start all over each year.

Second the bargaining tactic of calling the salary a bonus and paying as much as possible in a lump sum that is taxed at 15% for non residents maintaining a home in a foreign country. Bumping Kenny Lawler to a $150,000 bonus with a salary of $115,000 and housing benefits of $20,000 for a total of $285,000 of which just under $60,000 goes to tax. Any Canadian earning $285,000 pays $114,500 in tax. Sad part is the tax dollars spent on the infrastructure to support the players employment and then ask the tax payers to come out and buy tickets. Where is the C.R.A. on that one.

Still early but...

BC
Edmonton
Calgary
Winnipeg
Saskatchewan (sorry Rider fans)

Toronto
Montreal
Hamilton
Ottawa

East will be a dogfight and the balanced schedule will lead to closer standings.
Yay! I own jerseys from two teams, one in each division!

Guess which two?

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Your bottom picks in each division. Cuz that's my life.

I also have an Elks T-shirt, but that's just cuz I like the logo.
The Sask jersey was a high % bet and enough already with showing up in all corners of the world wearing Rider gear.

Problem with the Riders starts at the top and extending the meat shield that is Jeremy O'Day for 3 more years was laughable. Good luck to Corey Mace. Some experience somewhere might have been nice but they will learn. Riders will spend big in free agency but they have a lot of holes at multiple positions. Hoping there is something in it for the fans to get behind.

Ottawa is a surprise and fairly current but they are screwed. One thing about that jersey is there is unlikely be another at the party. I was leaning toward Montreal as my pick.

Big problem for Ottawa is sharing the province with two others and not enough local ESG support or willingness to compete with the deep pockets of MLSE or Stelco. On the field they go through QBs like shit through a goose. Thinking Dru Brown is the answer is being hopeful. Dustin Crum showed more imo and Tyree Adams beat him out in camp. Nick Arbuckle was never given a chance. If its a game of Thirty One Shawn Burke has one card left and Bobby Dyce is playing on his honour.

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Sask jersey was a high % bet and enough already with showing up in all corners of the world wearing Rider gear.

Problem with the Riders starts at the top and extending the meat shield that is Jeremy O'Day for 3 more years was laughable. Good luck to Corey Mace. Some experience somewhere might have been nice but they will learn. Riders will spend big in free agency but they have a lot of holes at multiple positions. Hoping there is something in it for the fans to get behind.

Ottawa is a surprise and fairly current but they are screwed. One thing about that jersey is there is unlikely be another at the party. I was leaning toward Montreal as my pick.

Big problem for Ottawa is sharing the province with two others and not enough local ESG support or willingness to compete with the deep pockets of MLSE or Stelco. On the field they go through QBs like shit through a goose. Thinking Dru Brown is the answer is being hopeful. Dustin Crum showed more imo and Tyree Adams beat him out in camp. Nick Arbuckle was never given a chance. If its a game of Thirty One Shawn Burke has one card left and Bobby Dyce is playing on his honour.
The questions I get wearing a Riders or a Rougeblacks jersey in Washington, DC are hysterical.

Usually, Question 1 is "What college is that?" And Question 2 is "Canadians play football?"

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Can't understand how Winnipeg can prioritize signing Drew Wolitarsky before they get deals done for Brady Oliviera or Dalton Schoen among others. If anywhere there is a spot to stash an ELC field wide out would be it. Wolitarsky going into his 7th season has got to be earning more than ELC which tells me the Bombers have no concerns about sms despite the litany of stars on the roster. Of course in Winnipeg everyone plays for free. Strange also is how many Bombers work as commission real estate agents when so few of them are from Winnipeg. We'll see how they squeeze Streveler onto the boat but no doubt they will get it done.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
The questions I get wearing a Riders or a Rougeblacks jersey in Washington, DC are hysterical.

Usually, Question 1 is "What college is that?" And Question 2 is "Canadians play football?"
Of course you explain that it is mostly Americans taking Canadian jobs that play the football.

Gravy 15% tax loophole is the bonus.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Of course you explain that it is mostly Americans taking Canadian jobs that play the football.

Gravy 15% tax loophole is the bonus.
Yep. A few years back, I proposed a plan to expand the CFL to 16 teams, funded in part by the NFL. Nowadays, what with the XFL and USFL merging into the UFL (8 teams), that would be relatively simple. Call it the NAFL. Canadian rules and the 25% Canadian rule applying to all teams (need a special exemption from Congress for that). Use it as a feeder system or minor league for the NFL. It'd give us a robust CFL with NFL support.

I was shocked (and I don't shock easy) when the CFL asked Ottawa for a $30 million loan and Ottawa said no. Hell, they shoulda asked the NFL. We pay some individual players more'n 30 mil, and that's Yankee dollars. I would argue that it's in the NFL's best interests to subsidize the CFL.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Yep. A few years back, I proposed a plan to expand the CFL to 16 teams, funded in part by the NFL. Nowadays, what with the XFL and USFL merging into the UFL (8 teams), that would be relatively simple. Call it the NAFL. Canadian rules and the 25% Canadian rule applying to all teams (need a special exemption from Congress for that). Use it as a feeder system or minor league for the NFL. It'd give us a robust CFL with NFL support.

I was shocked (and I don't shock easy) when the CFL asked Ottawa for a $30 million loan and Ottawa said no. Hell, they shoulda asked the NFL. We pay some individual players more'n 30 mil, and that's Yankee dollars. I would argue that it's in the NFL's best interests to subsidize the CFL.
That was just to see if they could get it the way Trudeau was handing out money at the time. Of course they didn't have any justification for asking.

CFL is a private corporation and does very well to fill stadiums with cash customers 180 times or so each year. Revenue per game is $2.5 - 3 million. Far from NFL numbers but still a nice little gig.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
That was just to see if they could get it the way Trudeau was handing out money at the time. Of course they didn't have any justification for asking.

CFL is a private corporation and does very well to fill stadiums with cash customers 180 times or so each year. Revenue per game is $2.5 - 3 million. Far from NFL numbers but still a nice little gig.
Yep, I approve totally. I'd like to see it more robust. That's why I think a tie-in with the NFL would be a good idea. I just want it to remain Canadian rules.

CFL is much more exciting and watchable than NFL, and that's from a die-hard Baltimore Ravens fan.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
There are import limits.
There were import limits. Hearing up to 3 nationalized Canadian Americans this year. Could probably get away with starting four true Canadians. Ironic as well seeing as so many good Canadians are starting to show up around the league. CFLPA controlled by the CFL and ex veteran import players

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Wondering if the CFL would be as concerned about player safety if the proposal to take the ball after a td rather than a kickoff was implemented at the 25 yd line opposed to the 40. Personally hoping it will be not this year for the rule change.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Curious if Shawn Bane Jr got anywhere close to the two year deal Alexander Hollins got from BC reported at $220,000 / $230,000. Stats wise they very comparable.

I think that will be it for Riders signing receivers and could see them use Mario Alford more often as a wideout as it would be hard to pay him to only return punts. Make or break year for Brayden Lenius imo. Schaffer-Baker and Emilus are locks. Picton should be back. Stearns and Watson are similar to Bane in size but still playing on their ELC. Sounds like they might use money saved to pay for a top RB.

Reactions: Tecumsehsbones

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Curious if Shawn Bane Jr got anywhere close to the two year deal Alexander Hollins got from BC reported at $220,000 / $230,000. Stats wise they very comparable.

I think that will be it for Riders signing receivers and could see them use Mario Alford more often as a wideout as it would be hard to pay him to only return punts. Make or break year for Brayden Lenius imo. Schaffer-Baker and Emilus are locks. Picton should be back. Stearns and Watson are similar to Bane in size but still playing on their ELC. Sounds like they might use money saved to pay for a top RB.
Thanks for this, Bob. As you can probably imagine, CFL gets little attention in the Yank press (for values of little = none). Your posts give me keywords to go look at what's on offer in the Canadian press.

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Thanks for this, Bob. As you can probably imagine, CFL gets little attention in the Yank press (for values of little = none). Your posts give me keywords to go look at what's on offer in the Canadian press.
It's not a coincidence that the CFL has long been buried on the back networks of ESPN exactly where NFL people prefer it to be. Too many names from major NCAA college programs that it is impossible to not have an instant regional following for many former star players. The game sells itself once people know it exists. When they find out they can bet on games in a 9 team league watch out.

A big complaint in the past has been hard to find on U.S. tv and not something a random television viewer would stumble across twice flipping through channels. Last season's deal with CBS Sports while not a money maker at least helped provide regularly programed games that a U.S.A. fan would be able to find. Not sure of the status of the agreement for this year.

I like the deal Genius Sports is working on monetizing the television fan base with single game betting and think it is the best way to grow the game. It would be nice if they shared it with the players and stopped gouging the fans but very oddly not one comment about gambling revenue and still talk of a gate driven league. My guess is gambling revenue out grosses gate revenue. CFL does get a share.

And the CFL season is not over when the NFL starts. Some are unaware.