The Last Hope, . . .

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
. . . for the Indians in Canada's far north are the diamond miners from South Africa. There must be 14 levels of irony in that but since they aren't there to actually help it is all window dressing that lets the medical experiments continue. My current opinion is based on the following material.
https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/features/2012/02/201221017545565952.html
Canada mining boom leaves natives in the cold

Indigenous community with "third world conditions" sits 90km from diamond mine, prompting fight for resource royalties.
Conditions are like that for all northern communities and this one should have access lots of material things considering the money involved. It is not unusual for the local’s lives to get worse rather than better. They will be promised many things but the profit for the biggest shareholders is the number 1 priority, always. The place will also be left in the worst possible condition.
Despite living just 90km from a massive diamond mine, Jackie Hookimaw Witt has watched poverty tear at the fabric of Attawapiskat, an indigenous community in northern Canada.
The northern Ontario community made international headlines recently, when the chief declared a state of emergency, as many houses lacked heating during frozen winters, and families were left sleeping in storage sheds, shacks or run-down trailers, often with no running water.
"Why are our people living in such extreme poverty when we are so close to this rich mine?" asked Witt, a mining critic born and raised in Attawapiskat. "There is something wrong with this."
As the Chief he is supposed to be the ones with the answers rather than just coming up with some basic questions, such as why were things so bad before the mine was constructed. As the mining critic that also makes him a target for bribery. As the critic he should have a long list of places he has gone and people he has talked to Prince George has some communities with lakes that are contaminated forever by the same ones that operate all mining operations today. Am old diamond mine might make the perfect garbage pit starting with toxic goods. Being frozen is a bonus. It is the far north islands that will be the easiest to explore and mine and it is un-inhabitated at the moment. All communities in the north have the same problems and heath is at the top of the list of complaints and the one that has gotten worse rather than better. That is not an accident; it is a pattern that emerges wherever these explorers show up. The Canadian Government is their hired hand in the theft of natural resources from Canadians.
As mining companies around the world reap profits from high commodity prices, people in Attawapiskat are demanding a bigger slice of the pie from the diamonds extracted from their traditional territory.
"Our native politicians are pushing for revenue sharing," where resource royalties from the Victor diamond mine would go directly to indigenous administrations, known as band councils, rather than straight to the provincial government, Witt told Al Jazeera.
The Government is beholden to these mining companies and the orders would be spolt it up and make sure the majority see nothing. If not a replacement will be found that will follow what they are told . . . period.
Valuable resources
While high prices for precious metals and other commodities have profited mining corporations, they have led to desperate behaviour in communities around the globe, including an increase in copper wire thefts in some western cities and gold scavenging in Guatemalan garbage dumps.
That is not the only cause of the problems the Indians are facing, they have been under intentional torment fir a number id reason. None of which are legal.
"Great riches are being taken from our land for the benefit of a few, including the government of Canada and Ontario, who receive large royalty payments, while we receive so little," Teresa Spence, the chief of Attawapiskat, said in a speech on January 26.
About 1,800 people live in Attawapiskat, where unemployment hovers near 90 per cent. Temperatures drop to -40 Celsius in the winter and in one case, 90 residents have moved into two portable housing units used by construction workers, with only two washrooms.
The Red Cross has been assisting community members and appealing for donations, in scenes that reminded many Canadians of third world poverty, rather than of life in a wealthy democracy.
The Red Cross reports their findings to the ones that decide how much food get into the communities. They also get all the reports about the things that go wrong and they turn that data over to the ones who cause the bad conditions to exist in the 1st place. The ceased first aid services when they started asking for cash donations.
A spokesperson for De Beers, the international firm which owns the Victor mine, told Al Jazeera that Canada’s government and indigenous groups need to work out some kind of revenue sharing agreement.
Presently, De Beers pays money to Attawapiskat via a trust fund the company has set up, although it says it is not mandated by law to do this.
"There are direct financial payments to the community on a regular basis," De Beers spokesman Tom Ormsby told Al Jazeera, although neither he nor representatives from Attawapiskat have disclosed the amount.
The Government will say it and a lot more has been spent, end of story. The money was never intended to make it to the least important people; it never has in the last 500 years they have been playing the same hand. Today the people in the north have the ability to put all the mineral leases in the names of individuals from the closest village.
The company has spent about $325m on contracts with indigenous-run business for services such as catering and contracting, Ormsby said. "More than 100 community members work at the mine."
The mine extracts about 600,000 carats of diamonds per year. "In the short period of time we have been involved with the community, we have seen a lot of progress," said Ormsby, adding, "we don’t want to dismiss the long term challenges the community has."
Despite global economic uncertainty, De Beers, the world’s largest diamond company, saw operating profit rise by 64 per cent in 2011.
It is a test mine, they know the potential and they have other locations they want to explore in the same way. If the mine is abandoned the Indians could mine it for the hard grit that is in demand.
Royalty debates
Critics say the company profits at the expense of local communities and public revenue. "In 2010, the company reported that they didn't pay any taxes at either of their Canadian mines," said Ramsey Hart, an analyst with Mining Watch Canada, an environmental watchdog.
Diamond royalties are set at 12 per cent of profits, Hart said. "Despite taking millions of dollars worth of diamonds out of the ground, the company has tried to show that it isn’t making any profit so it hasn’t been paying taxes." His claims on royalties could not be independently verified.
That is why it is a test site rather than mined to get the last gram. As an R&D program the expenses can be written off in full every year and cost fot other R&D can be funded from that mine.
Hart wants to see a new tax structure, where mining companies have to pay according to the value of what they take out of the ground.
"When prices [for commodities] are high, the tax rate should increase accordingly," he told Al Jazeera. Mandatory revenue sharing with indigenous communities should also be reflected in an updated tax structure, he said.
Gold miners lease claims at 20% of the value of the product extracted, after a certain point it can go higher rather than lower. The owner pays royalties on volume of material that leaves the mine; they are also responsible for reclamation.

Other indigenous groups, including the James Bay Cree and Inuit of northern Quebec have secured access to royalties from massive hydro-electric projects on their traditional territories, after lengthy protests and court battles. These communities generally have better social development outcomes than places such as Attawapiskat which do not receive royalties from projects on their traditional land.
I would imagine somebody is getting paid to make sure that didn’t happen. Pay only for what you can’t steal
Who is to blame?
Conservatives tend to blame poverty in indigenous communities on bad governance, rather than royalty issues.
Canada's ruling Conservative Party says the federal government has spent $90m in Attawapiskat since it took office in 2006. The government put the band council’s finances under third party management, saying their books had been mismanaged. The third party manager, a private sector consultant, is earning about $1,300 per day to manage the community's finances.
"I think being under third party management is probably the best decision at the moment," said Joseph Quesnel, an analyst with the Frontier Centre for Public Policy, a market orientated think-tank.
1/2M year to do what, if the system was flawed before the fix should have shown up, so far nothing has changed other than the books are no longer part of Government records. $90K for each of the 1900 people and bulk buying would but a lot of material stuff that is simply missing. That is what a robbery scene looks like.
Under the Indian Act, legislation first passed in 1876, the federal government is responsible for providing services on native reserves, including Attawapiskat. "If those services are not being delivered it is like a breach of contract and it is taxpayer money," which is being provided to the local band council, he said.
"The whole idea of corruption is a wide issue" facing aboriginal communities he said, while not alleging any particular misdeeds in Attawapiskat.
Heath issues are always at the top of anybodies list, nobody is paying attention because they are being paid to look the other way. In an international court when you harm another citizen die to actions demanded by a 3rd party that is treason as well as host of lesser charges.
He supports the idea of provincial governments hammering out a deal with aboriginal communities, or what are called First Nations in Canada, to share more resource royalties.
"First Nations have particular challenges in terms of the lands they are on. They often weren’t the most productive or best lands," Quesnel, who has mixed native and non-native ancestry, told Al Jazeera. "They are often away from highways and markets, especially the more isolated ones. There is no easy solution."
Mining has its own set of rules that are clearly spelled out. Natives can prospect as long as they are willing to exploit the resource rather than place a heritage value that has no dollar value attached to it. Taking the first bite out might be painful, they should be part of the reclamation crew rather than killing a project that brings money into the community for a few years.
The community can only be reached by frozen ice roads in the winter and by plane in the summer. The cost of building a house in Attawapiskat is about $250,000, with transporting materials eating up about half the cost - and government critics say not enough money or support is being provided.
"Everything where we live is very expensive," said Jackie Hookimaw Witt, the Attawapiskat resident. "To buy broccoli, when I want a nutritious meal, it will cost $8, one cantaloupe costs $14."
The town, originally founded in 1893 by Catholic missionaries who wanted to "civilise" the natives, only got some running water and sewage facilities in the 1990s.
In this day and age remote places should be growing as much of their own food as possible. The whole layout of a northern community cannot be made in the image of a village further south. It will be like an old west town only with insulated buildings. Most of the prefabs sold would have been the cheapest stuff that could be sent. Today you might as well insulated a shipping container and fill it up with supplies and when empties somebody can live in it for decades and no repairs needed. Like it or not you cannot bury services so unless you want them above ground in an insulated tube there will be septic tanks and water tanks at each building and nobody freezes up in the winter. Those sheds need access to heat all the time so some off-grid device need to be on-site
Environmental concerns
Beyond royalties and questions over who should finance development and new homes in Attawapiskat, indigenous people worry that increased mineral extraction is ruining the local environment.
"When we have mining in the area, First Nations that have lived off the land won’t be able to hunt, trap or fish anymore," said Stan Beardy, Grand Chief of Nishnawbe Aski Nation, who represents 49 communities - including Attawapiskat.
"I have major concerns about the local environment," he told Al Jazeera. "If standards are not high enough, it will destroy me and my people; we have nowhere else to go."
Ormsby, from the mining company, said that diamond extraction does not hurt local ecosystems. They just dig and then "wash and crush" the stones, he said.
But others are not so sure.
"At the beginning [during the mine's construction] I had a brother who worked there," Witt said. "He was digging with big machinery. He was shocked to see how they were using explosives for open pit mining. It hurt him when he saw the land desecrated, it haunted him."
Some members should have been taken to other mine sites before this project was approved. The value of the haul was underestimated and compared to other types of mines dust pollution is the biggest natural hazard. There are other areas that should be looked at though.
With natural resource extraction driving Canada’s economy, the federal government is keen to have more big projects such as the De Beers Victor mine.
But some native leaders have warned of increased strife between corporations and indigenous people if a broader agreement on resource royalties is not reached, as frustration boils over, with wealth and poverty sitting side-by-side.
"The settlers have not fulfilled their obligations [signed under treaties with natives]," Chief Beardy said. "They are taking all the benefits derived from the land. As a result, we are extremely poor."
They should not be in squalor conditions without the mines, clean that part up and all the communities are a lot happier and then they can stake the best areas for the community and that will end any argument about how much they should be getting, in hand.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://www.thestar.com/news/insight/2015/10/10/cree-community-looks-on-warily-as-de-beers-eyes-new-diamond-mine.html
Cree community looks on warily as De Beers scours North for diamonds

The lowlands are one of the world’s last untouched carbon storehouses, trapping the gases that warm the globe at an increasingly alarming rate. Bald eagles nest along the banks of the Winisk River. In summer, polar bears wander through town in search of food. Brook trout are caught in the mud flats of Hudson Bay. Migratory caribou and moose are staples in this community that continues to depend on the land for its existence.
-the Canadian Shield is minerals like diamonds rather than oil and gas, that is the carbon mentioned.
-the gas they help escaped long ago. By pushing the global warming angle the article shows it is authorized by the companies in the article.
-as steward of the land that also takes most of their food from the same land there should be some repairs they have done that fixes a mistake nature made. Some examples just from the list have eagles being part of the landscape and their traditional food is small mammals and fish and nothing that men bring in. The dam that was constructed to power the mine will have messed with the flooding downstream so former wet-lands are not flooding anymore. If an artificial ice dam is constructed that flooding can take place. Tires and strong cables and some water pumps would do it or open up some areas of swamp by peeling back the moss so the water below become a place a duck would land on. Nests in those areas also are almost impossible to anything that walks so more chicks would survive and that is more food for eagles.
The former wetlands by the river could be left dry and seeds for grass that animal eat would become the new use. A bulldozer and a river would not seem to be a good match but put a native at the controls who is sensitive to the needs of the wildlife and the places where rivers are crossed can have the banks landscaped so the herds do not have a bottleneck at the crossings and that means more survive the crossing. Landscaping where they give birth is another area that the Natives can boost what nature has provided.
The land is never static, a few mines that are run according to the regulations or not going to altar anything, certainly less than a community of people that have enough money that the living room is not their whole life. When you expect a mess to be left behind you should have plans available on how to fix it. Sometimes making it a dump for the stuff the lower towns create is a long term source of income and keeping the wildlife from wandering around is the only concern there is. That is one option, having the Natives mine the material the ones doing the test hole left behind. Part of the price they get is because that material is produced in small quantities. 2 mines at a time is more money for the company that opening up 20 mines at one time.
From what all villages in the north and far north face is share as a common complain today it is their health that is being attacked and the attackers are the same ones who are supposed to be protecting them and the ones they are working for are the biggest owners in the Mining and Energy Industries. The more money they get the better they like it and they like getting all the money rather than ‘most’. Ill health and poverty are what the ones in the way get. Make the land yours on better paper than a Treaty they devised and that will take care of the money problem. The health issues are studies being done so remaining ill is what the Government wants to see happen. Most of the illness are mold based and Borax and vinegar alone are the way to clean it and leave the place so it will not come back. For the many that are infected you are looking at a lifetime of keeping it in check. Luckily that costs pennies per year, for the ones that need O@ there is a device that plugs in as a night light ot in a car power port that emits enough ozone for a small space. Put that in the room you are in the most and the green tanks of O2 are not needed and they are not available in northern communities, they are better off making their own vinegar that having it shipped in. One pallet of Borax goes a long ways as 1 box should make about 500 gallons of ‘solution’.
Each village should have broadband for education as well as entertainment, more in that later.
Wabano looks down to where her ancestors — the Omushkegowak, or the people of the muskeg — roamed for nearly 4,000 years, and she thinks about the wolves at the door.
The Government wolver have been feeding off them for a long time, a business coming in does not change that and the business does tell the Government what to do and what not to do rather than it is the other way around.
At the start of this year, a team from De Beers, one of the world’s largest diamond mining companies, came to Weenusk First Nation, also known as Peawanuck, to hold an information session with the nearly 300 Cree who call this remote, fly-in community home.
Considering their abilities they could have dropped off a laptop 6 months before rather than spend a day there.
De Beers and its partners operate in 20 countries across five continents. They pull 600,000 carats of diamonds annually out of the company’s current Ontario operation — the Victor Mine, 90 kilometres west of Attawapiskat First Nation.
2,700,000,000 @ $4500/carat
Most living in Weenusk, a reserve with just one store, undrinkable water and a school that goes only to Grade 8, are uninterested in whatever De Beers is selling.
Health Canada is responsible for the lack of good health. They are being paid to study the effects of a few diseases that are engineered into the communities and the results are carefully noted and forwarded to the same people that own the Mining Companies on a global scale

“This is my family’s traditional territory. It connects to the Winisk River,” says Wabano. “My ancestors, my grandfathers, used this land and the rivers and we haven’t stopped using it.
“We do not consent to have any mining on our traditional lands.”
There should be a list of improvement that could be made to what is defined as ‘a hunting ground’. Maximizing the health and numbers of the animals used as food sometimes involves moving some dirt around to make river crossings easier as well as adding some grass to their migration routes.
What you should consent to is allowing the miners to extract diamonds but the mines are on ground that is staked out by local Natives and the money goes to them and the Gov gets nothing but what an Indian would pay. Today the millions go to the Government people and their business friends and the system was broken before so adding new money only made the crooks richer rather than there was so much nobody was ‘poor’. Take the money, store it in a safe place and when the mine closes down use local talent to change the business to something else or clean it up to the standards in the regs. (they probably need a revision)
But the open pit Victor mine will reach the end of its lifespan in four years and De Beers is fanning out across the North, searching for diamonds buried beneath the fragile ecosystem of the Hudson Bay Lowlands.
These are most likely test holes, a big one to get money and a smaller one to show what the least amount will be.
Exploration, of all types, leaves a mark.
“There are impacts right now from exploration and no one is checking those,” says Anna Baggio, director of conservation planning for the Wildlands League, a chapter of the Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society. “There is clearing of the land; big machines being brought in are being dragged across the landscape — creating ruts and deep grooves, disrupting the soil. Lines are being cut through ecosystems, changing the way certain species live in those areas.”
The Government of Canada works for the mining companies and their duties to Canadians come in 2nd and the rights of Indian somewhat below that level. This would be a front company that pretends to stand for the little guys but years later they have delivered on none of those promises and them and the mine owners both moved on when the mine is closed. The above is more like the exploration PetroCan did 40 years ago so I am aware of the damage that did and what it didn’t do. Winter Roads and open pit mines are a lot more invasive that a seismic crew using cats and trailers on skies in the winter and using vibration equipment rather than blasting. South facing land would fare the worst and companies like this should be able to offer the solution that allows exploration because the little bit of damage can be repaired. When erosion is taking place the solution is to fill the missing peat with some organic matter that will stay in place. The plant needed is hemp or flax. Hemp could be grown beside the area it will be used in so why is not part of what the company publishes. It is also the perfect patch material for clay that is supposed to act like a solid rather than a liquid.
Winter roads are as non invasive as it gets. Add a few solar powered pumping stations and a lot of piping and the ice conditions could be extended so the road is open more months of the year Private vehicles going north should be stopping at the last Indian store (Walmart size and dollar store prices) and filling the vehicle up as much as possible. Commercial loads should also offer space on to max out their weight and not charge for the ride as they spent no extra money. Fuel is billed back to the mine anyway. You cannot jump into the 21st century without some changes needing to be made. The next ice age will do a lot more than cause a bit of unintended erosion.
The company currently has no mining claims in Peawanuck, says Tom Ormsby, De Beers Canada’s director of external and corporate affairs. “But when we have areas of interest, we try to arrange community meetings to tell them what we’d like to do.”
In as few words as possible, fine print and legal loopholes means none of their promises will happen as promised. A mine should not be the salvation of anybody, let alone a whole community that already had a steady income even if they never leave a warm and dry living room. As it is with good health and good quality ‘stuff’ they could be all over the place in the coldest months of the year.
The barren lands to the north would make a good holiday spot for people from the north. The miners would be saved sneaking around as the Indians would have the right to all the best land and they are easier to deal with than the Government who run on bribes, lots of very expensive bribes. The Miners even know who and how much as they were the ones doing the bribery.
Weenusk, more than 1,300 kilometres north of Toronto, is accessible only by canoe, small plane or, in winter, by a frozen highway to Fort Severn.
The traditional way of life is mixed with modern conveniences. The clapboard-siding houses are well kept. There is Wi-Fi but it is spotty. Fishing nets hang on clotheslines. Meat is smoked in large teepees of white canvas and blue tarp. All-terrain vehicles buzz up and down the streets. In summer, white salt is thrown over the dirt roads to stop the dust from kicking up.
Rig camps have a set up that would give broad-band to the whole village. The village itself should be its own network for gossip as well as the kids are playing games or doing school work and the adults can be doing the research needed to deal with business interests that want in or simply doing some on-line shopping that automatically gets you the best price and the fastest shopping. Running a water treatment plant can be learned by the vids pit out by the company that makes the machines in the first place. There are enough on-line resources available that you can become an expert in almost any field. For the north that means minerals and gems and other goodies that have much value to miners.
The Cree here share a culture with the Cree along the James Bay coast. Theirs is a rich history: stories of Vikings in the Far North and of age-old wars against the Chippewa, of eight generations who have camped at Holly Lake — a large, inland body hundreds of kilometres south near the English River.
Another good reason to have broadband as well as a library set up just for northern people that deals with their specific needs, such as everything you need to know about rocks and have all the villages linked to a central message board
Everyone and everything in the North is connected. But not everyone agrees on mining or development.
Sam Hunter, a Cree Indian guide, is wary, fearing his community is not equipped to handle the mining giant’s intentions.
Their intentions are to get as much as they can by paying as little as possible and a mess at the end is cheaper than following the regs they agreed to. At least you cut out the ‘being disappointed’ part. Knowing what the damage will be helps you prepare for fixing things or burying them so it doesn’t hurt anybody. If the hole is waterproof you might as well fill it up and make some money before it is buried for good. If people will sneak around to dump stuff nobody wants they will pay a good dollar for a place they can dump it in the light of day. Not perfect but it does pay for the green house so you have lettuce all year round
“They are interested in our rivers. I don’t know where,” says Hunter, who makes his living ferrying tourists up the Hudson Bay coastline to see polar bears. The whiff of interest by De Beers has caused a stir in this community, fuelling a seemingly timeless debate — how the old ways will change if a mining firm comes to town.
Rivers carry all sorts of things down from the higher ground. If you find something in one river and not the others the source is someplace upstream. That alone would make it worth whole for the community to ‘pan for gold’ in everyone and figure out what you get all on your own and then send it out once you know where it comes from. With all the villages doing that and putting their findings together they would be able to stake out all the best property and save the miners 10 years exploring one tiny patch at a time.
Hunter is now trying to learn the language of mining: What constitutes a land proposal? What exactly are exploration claims? How do business agreements work?
The net will lead him in the right direction and being self taught will save him 9 years of cracking the books. His contacts should be getting all the villages on video phones and then there is a class of students who also have to take on the role of teachers as well.
He has approached the band council to better understand its land use plans, but “it has been a struggle since day one,” he says. “There is no plan devised including youth or elders. Meetings dissolve. Our people have a right to know the issues.”
Getting the whole village talking while at their own homes is a way to get the people involved rather than the leaders are making all the decisions based on what the Government is tell then to do.

Chief Edmund Hunter says De Beers has been in the community twice and wants to hold a third information session. It’s difficult, Hunter says, because some of the youth want development “for their future.”
The part that is missing is each village should already be a stable community. In the bit I know none are and the reason is simple, you are being kept as poor and unhealthy as possible.
At the beginning of July, Sam Hunter tried to put up posters advertising Victoria Lean’s documentary After the Last River, a critical look at the benefits De Beers brought to Attawapiskat. They were taken down. He doesn’t know who did it.
Somebody working for the Mines rather than the village, same people would have played a bif role for the Indians cancelling a ,=]meeting when the outcome was the Miners went elsewhere, a move that would not have been possible if the meeting had taken place. All the mines are for exploration rather than complete extraction of all valuable material.
[FONT=&quot]Diamond mines aren’t forever, and within four years the Victor Mine, De Beers’ first in Ontario, is expected to reach the end of its life.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]10 years at 600,000 carats per year with a value of about $4500/carot = $[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]27,000,000,000[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Victor Mine is one of the richest diamond mines in the western world and an important part of the De Beers empire. Just east of the mine is Attawapiskat, one of the most poverty-stricken First Nations communities in the province.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Ever Indian village in the north is in the very same condition, it is an engineered event rather than all of them are accidents that cannot be fixed, lot of studies but bi solutions means it is a medical experiment. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The reserve of 1,900 people, on the shores of the Attawapiskat River along the James Bay coast, has had recurring states of emergency due to flooding. The floods have caused a housing crisis and many band members are still crowded into makeshift, mouldy homes without plumbing. It took years for a new school to be built after it was discovered that the previous school had been built on top of ground soaked by a massive diesel spill in 1979.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That is part of the toxins that the people are being exposed to, since Health Canada and the Red Cross are part if the cause it should be handled by Interpol rather than one of the defendants, the Government of Canada and the World Banks are their employers.[/FONT]
De Beers, the only major industry operating in this remote area, has paid the provincial government $40.7 million in taxes and other payments since the opening of the mine. It also pays up to $2 million a year in royalties to Attawapiskat. That payment is split between a trust fund controlled by the chief and council and the rest, which is used for community development and to pay Attawapiskat members who manage the band’s impact benefit agreement with De Beers, says Attawapiskat member Charlie Hookimaw.
That seems to work out to 1.5% royalties on the value of the gems taken. $26T in 10 years at 600,000 carats per year Gold miners a few 1,000 miles away are paying 20% to the owners of the ground, some of that goes to the Government.
Canada charges the Oil Companies the least amount and we only have one customer, the US, they rebrand it and sell it at 2x the price.
The trust fund now totals $13 million. In 2014, the community received about $1 million; $480,000 went to business relations and $545,868 was spent on community development, Hookimaw says.
The village and all other villages should all have smart-phones that plugs into a crt tv at home and the whole north can chat as easily as of you all lived in the same small village. The young are educated in what is going on outside of the community and knowledge is as easy as typing in the right terms. Such as what a warm dry home is supposed to be so water issues and mold issues are not health hazards that will see the village die off rather than thrive an d get larger like it should.
Between 35 and 40 per cent of the mine’s labour is aboriginal, mostly hired from Attawapiskat, says Tom Ormsby, De Beers Canada’s director of external and corporate affairs. And many local businesses receive spinoff contracts.
That’s fine, the wheels shouldn’t stop because a mine that just moved into the area has moved on. Stopping the corruption that starts with the Government is the battle that still needs to be won. The causes of ill health can be beaten by the villages themselves using very simple and cheap solutions, so cheap that can be taken on without any outside help as they do not want a healthy and wise Native population. That means you have to be able to talk to each other at length
The diamonds from Ontario’s Far North have the second-highest value per carat in the world and are a hallmark of De Beers’ ethical diamonds commitment, each piece sourced in a “sustainable and ethical manner,” according to the company website.
Keep production so low the value of each piece is a lot higher than if they are produced in volume. A mine that produces too many would be closed down for one that is less productive just to keep the prices high.
De Beers, which in May put South Africa’s Kimberley Mine — the original mine on which Cecil Rhodes built his diamond empire — up for sale, is now focused on Canada. It opened both the Snap Lake Mine in the Northwest Territories and the Victor Mine in 2008. Currently, De Beers is constructing the world’s largest new diamond mine at Gahcho Kue in the Northwest Territories.
That mine has been in operation for 200 years so when you find a location they do not produce just a few gems.
With Victor’s end in sight, De Beers, which produces 35 per cent of the world’s rough diamonds, is searching for new sources. It hopes to build on its $1-billion infrastructure investment at the Victor Mine by opening Tango, a new mine seven kilometres away. The environmental assessments are still underway.
Keyword, how to slow the process down without taking the blame for dragging their heels.
De Beers has not placed exploration stakes near or outside Peawanuck, which the Cree claim as their traditional territory, but all areas of the North are being investigated.
They have lots of maps they are not sharing with the Indians, none of which involved walking up and down the rivers so when they put up boundary stakes they already know what the ground is like. The far north has tock rather than rock covered by tundra so exploration by walking the kinds is the best and fastest way to get the data. The miners will build robots rather than hire the people. The people should find the spots on their own and put up their own stakes. The mines don’t care who they pay, people or a few in Government, they want the goodies at a rate that suits their timeline.
“We look across the whole region. We look at possibilities and there are various stages of gathering information on the target area we have an interest in. We want to see what is out there and that is what I understand is our engagement in the area,” Ormsby says.
Test holes so no mine will be worked until is empty, it also means this companies can come back when they like rather than the people or the nation determining that.
Diamond exploration is a slow process — De Beers was in Ontario for 50 years before it opened Victor.
It is slow to keep the prices up, when production is SA went down then Canada was invested in, before that they were sitting on their hands.
“We’d like to try some early exploration at some point. We would be in the area for four weeks to take some samples,” Ormsby says. “If there is enough data in the samples, then we would return. If there is potential, we would return. It is baby steps, really.”
40 years or 4 weeks, the baby steps are to make it as slow as possible rather than it is difficult to find ground that is similar to that found in SA.
It is beneficial — although not legally required — for mining companies to negotiate impact benefit agreements with local First Nations. An IBA outlines the intention of the project, the responsibilities of the company and the community’s share in economic benefits. These agreements are often seen as legally binding and arise from memos of understanding.
If the Government was doing their first duty the mines would not be coming to a rescue as the people would be healthy and wise already.
After an information session in Weenusk in January, De Beers wanted to stage a second one in June, but it was cancelled.
Planned so the deal would stall. The pipeline deal fell through the same day the EU announced a deal to get Russian gas .
“Every community has its own process,” says Ormsby. “You go in on invitation of the community. Unfortunately, the community informed us that the meeting could not take place. We understand that is part of the process. We’ll stay in touch.”
. .. . as soon as we have opened up the other 40 test sites we have plotted on out maps.
First Nations involvement is essential to working in the North, he says.
Most of the Hudson Bay Lowlands is undeveloped and physically inaccessible without the help of First Nations communities, which can have airstrips, power and rudimentary supplies.
They would also make perfect prospectors as long as they just turn the info over to the miners without staking the ground for the People first.
[FONT=&quot]“We prefer to do this up front. It is much better when people are aligned with understanding,” Ormsby says. “We have worked in the area for so long, we understand each community understands it in their own way. Then the decisions that are made are the best for everybody.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you haven’t spotted the cause of the ill health you are a snake oil salesman, period.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The Victor Mine: A case study[/FONT][FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Toronto-based conservationists at the Wildlands League have been investigating the long-term consequences of De Beers’ Victor site, studying hundreds of pages of environmental assessments and freedom of information documents, and seeking feedback from the Ministry of the Environment.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The regulations that Government passes are not written by the Government for the benefit of the citizens, they are written by the industry they are meant to govern. They contain more loop-holes and fine-print that is more useful to the mining companies that the people who also sign the same contract.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]As such a watch-dog group like this one is there to identify any flaws that will be fixed when the next mine is opened. If you cannot dig a hole in solid rock safely you cannot even walk on the land and wildlife should be give bathrooms to use. With more mines set to open fixing the flaws on the first one is better than waiting until the last one. It would be a nice tool the company can use to shut the mine down and claim it was out of respect for the land. Indians can look at the same data and come up with solution that don’t cost more than they are making on the deal[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Monitoring[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: Trevor Hesselink, the league’s director of policy and research, has concluded that De Beers’ environmental monitoring record at the Victor Mine is dubious at best and that the provincial Environment Ministry has failed to monitor the mine.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It was the company that had to install the stations, to have them collect and analyze the data is not their job, it is the ones that say they reviewed all the data. This is a new mine, solar powered stations send in daily reports to the company and the Government and this company who say they represent the people. Flaws without solutions other than closing the mine is not what is done when you are trying to maximize the income for the locals and making the final cleanup as painless as possible. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What De Beers and the ministry say: De Beers is required to conduct extensive groundwater, surface water and ground subsidence monitoring, says Kate Jordan, a spokesperson for the ministry. “An extensive monitoring program was established by De Beers and approved by the ministry to test and evaluate predicted effects on the ecological system,” Jordan says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]You do not let the person being monitored do more that collect the data and send that in without any conclusions. The Government and the Watch-dogs should come to the same conclusions and solutions are more from the locals as the Government is pro mine. [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Reporting[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: None of the required annual mercury performance monitoring reports from 2008 to 2014 contained data from two specific monitoring stations — one being the ultimate downstream station from the mine, according to freedom of information documents and De Beers’ annual reports. This means that for six years, Ontario was not given all the information the province required concerning water samples, Hesselink says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The other stations still give some data. Since the chemical in question is from peat being take out of the water and then the drying process creates the contaminate. The north is a vast swamp and if the water discharge is below the max the peat that is excavated could be taken to an area of the swamp that is water and a certain volume could be piled there and in the summer it would sink into the water so the contaminate never gets released into the rivers. The volume of peat would displace water that would be pumped into the river. If the site is in a bowl filling the lake in would seem to be okay as the water would still be okay fort wildlife to use[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“When you add up all the mercury requirements they are supposed to do just for this creek alone (Granny Creek), never mind the rest of the landscape, they just barely meet the halfway point in terms of reporting requirements — 19 out of 36 data points and the ministry didn’t notice,” he says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the ministry says: The ministry denies this. Jordan says data isn’t kept on a strictly station-by-station basis but clumped into groups.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“Water quality data for both the North and South Granny Creek have been reported in annual mercury monitoring reports. The data provided in the company’s annual report is not presented on a station-by-station basis. Data has been clumped comparing stations upstream of the mine site to those downstream of key features,” Jordan says. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Regarding the league’s concerns with the 2013 and 2014 mercury reports, Jordan says “dialogue is pending the review of the reports by technical staff.”[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That is showing that the ones monitoring the data for the Indians don’t even know how to read the data let alone find creative ways to keep contaminants as low as possible[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Daily water draining[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: Of special concern is the daily dumping of up to 150 million litres of water from the Victor pit into the Attawapiskat River since the marshlands must be dry in order to use drilling equipment and access the diamond-bearing ore.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the ministry says: While the permit allows a maximum water taking of 150 million litres per day from the pit, Jordan says the daily average is closer to 79 million litres per day. “The data collected to date does not indicate that pit dewatering activities carried out at the site or the discharge of mine water to the Attawapiskat River is increasing mercury concentrations in the receiving waters or adjacent peat lands,” Jordan says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What De Beers says: “We’ve been below the permit levels since we’ve had them.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Covered in the ‘sink the excavated peat back into the swamp’ part.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Wetlands and bogs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: The boreal peat bogs of the Hudson Bay Lowlands store carbon at higher concentration densities than almost anywhere on Earth. When you dry out the peat moss in order to build a mine, you are mobilizing the stored mercury and carbon, says Hesselink. When drilled peat bogs are exposed to the elements, they decompose, evaporate and release carbon into the atmosphere.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What De Beers says: There has been no impact from the activity of the mine, but there are mitigation plans in place in case there is. The company has five different universities studying the impacts of mining. “We are the first development in the area. We made a number of commitments; for example, we have been examining peat in subarctic climates,” says Tom [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]We carry out all these things and these come to the table when we have discussions,” says De Beers Canada’s Tom Ormsby.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Sporadic meetings, the fewer the better. The Indians can do their own research rather than relying on what the miners come up with in tests that cater to them rather than the people living there.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Waste rock[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]De Beers has been approved to mine as deep as 230 metres, but Hesselink says there is a “substantial discrepancy” between what is identified in the federal environmental assessment study and how deep the company claims to be digging. The fear is that the waste rock taken out of the pit contains relatively high levels of sulphate, which increases with depth. Once piled around the mine it can act as a trigger that converts the mercury already present in the wetlands into the toxic methylmercury. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What De Beers says: The working depth of the mine was federally approved at 280 metres, says Ormsby.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“The way the environmental process works, at least for Victor, it was a federal review first. The federal minister signed off (in August 2005) and then the Ontario government signed off. The province signed off in October 2005 and the community ratified it in November 2005. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]“We submitted what the mine plan would be to the end of life of the mine. There is no change to that scope at all, or otherwise we would have to resubmit … My understanding is it has always been to 280,” says Ormsby.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That sounds like the conclusion came from their data as a way to close the mine as early as possible, which is what you do when they are test locations. The waste rock should be taken south and a use found for finely ground rock that is harder than granite.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Mercury[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: Methylmercury is a bioaccumulating neurotoxin. It enters the base of the food chain, and is passed upward to the fish and then to the mammals that eat them, including humans. It can cause devastating neurological effects and cognitive problems, with children and women of child-bearing age being particularly at risk. Hesselink says De Beers is dumping sulphate into the Attawapiskat without understanding the effects of what it will do.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the ministry says: Jordan says that monitoring “shows no change to any mercury levels found in fish in the Attawapiskat River due to dewatering.” [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What De Beers says: Ormsby says mercury in rivers has been a concern since well before De Beers arrived in northern Ontario. “It is a naturally occurring thing, in the peatlands. It is from coal-fired plants. It settles into peat and bog and any time it is dry, it is released naturally,” he says.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Since the whole north is muskeg that will be blamed for all their health problem when the only cause is housing that is below minimal standards as that is a program that Health Canada is running to study the long term effects . The sickness came with the mold, period; it won’t go away with eliminating the mold. Ask the owners of the mines how much mold they allow in their homes and places of business.[/FONT]

• [FONT=&quot]Communications[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the league says: Hesselink says that emails and requests for meetings sent to the ministry have been met with “dead silence.” “We have essentially flagged for them violations of permits, which is a very significant public concern, in a fairly credible and well-researched way, and we are getting nothing back,” says Hesselink.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]What the ministry says: There has been dialogue between the league and the ministry since 2004 regarding potential environmental impacts associated with the project, Jordan says.[/FONT]
They could have had broadband since the project was first proposed. Keeping the Indian as uninformed as possible and the mines and Government are both working towards that common goal.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://ottawasun.com/2012/01/19/attawapiskat-and-de-beers/wcm/7f62668c-3f89-4310-9c26-2c1e1ae4de4a
Attawapiskat and de Beers

One of the big questions to come out of the housing crisis at Attawapiskat is where’s the money going?
That is not as big a question as why all Indian Villages are the worst slims in Canada when the Taxpayers allow the Government to spent a lot of money in the Department called ‘Indian Affairs’ and an inspection of any community will show the same long term conditions that are known to be health hazards in the rest of Canada but the information sent to them actually makes the conditions worse. The floods are when mold is at its highest, that is why some are evacuated, and when they come back they still get infected by the spores, just like it is intended. Those evacuated have through medical records that are shared with others, ones who insist the conditions continue. They also get also the court records as violence is one of the effects they are hoping to duplicate. In Criminal Law it is Gross Criminal Misconduct and it is a felony.
We know about the $90 million the federal government has pumped into the beleaguered James Bay community, but what of the economic benefits the reserve has been reaping from the nearby De Beers diamond mine?
The $90M should be tracked first as any money on top of that is going to go down the same hole. The Govt has to make certain records available to the public and Indian Affairs is not a blank page, it is a few pages short of a full breakdown but liars don’t hide their tracks when they don’t expect to be challenged. There are some industrial banking programs that are public domain so getting the numbers into charts and graphs is a few clicks.
The mine takes in $2.7B/yr. (600k carats @ $4500/carat)
It’s difficult to pin down exactly how much the community is getting in direct payments from De Beers, because under the impact benefit agreement (IBA) the diamond company is not allowed to reveal how much it pays the reserve.
It works out to $2M/yr and that is 0.074074% if the gross. The mine pays no taxes so that gift is also a tax deduction as is all money that leaves the mine-site for any reason. They are a business from South Africa so they are anything but a charity.
Some rumoured figures, said to be fairly accurate, put the amount at $10-$11 million in direct payments to the chief and council since the beginning of the agreement around 2008.
Close enough and a few items have been mentioned but most seems to still be in a trust. That means the Government signs off on it. That also means that is an income so money is taken away in some section of Indian Affairs. The Government is also a deduction at the end of the year.
The criminal investigation is medical related and it was going on even before the miners were starting to look for diamonds in Canada’s north about 50 years ago as it is the same kind of rock as South Africa has around its diamond and gold mines
What’s curious about those payments is that the chief did not seem to know how much the community was getting and was vague when I asked a question about those payments when she came to Queen’s Park last year.
When you sign a non-disclosure document honest people tend to balk at leaking the info out. The numbers in this document about what gas been spent are not expanded on.
In fact, De Beers has no say on how that money is spent. They simply put the money into a community-owned trust fund on designated dates. Under the IBA, it’s entirely up to the community as to how that is spent and they’re the only ones who can reveal how much they’re getting.
The Govt is their ‘caretaker’ they know to the nickel how much is spent and considering the bad advice they have been giving all the communities. They also make sure they progress as little as possible rather than the Govt always gets them the best deals possible. The $2M is a sidetrack as the places should all have comfortable homes in all months of the year. If not the Government wasted money and they should fix the problem at their cost or a full refund and let the villages tender the contracts from their smart phones. To give no advice and not give them an alternative supplier is probably illegal confinement as well as torture as health hazards are allowed to continue after being noticed by the professional inspection teams the Government keeps sending.
What figures we can access, though, are related to contracts awarded to joint ventures or businesses wholly-owned by the community.
Why not all business the mine has contracts with so the rest of the $2.7B is accounted for, that is per year, in a 10 year run that is $27B.
Since the start of construction, over $325 million on contracts has been awarded to wholly-owned Attawapiskat businesses or joint ventures.
Works out to 1.203%

Last year alone, they got $51 million in contracts.
1.88% In real terms what would have that brought in as cash to the community and how much did the Govt reduce payment by or collect as taxes or did all their income go out as expenses??

A spokesman for De Beers says they’re trying to build expertise and know-how within the community.
The Govt should have been doing that all along. The medical companies that are ordering the substandard housing also own the mining industries as well as the oil and gas companies and the Politicians who take orders or they get replaced. They are professional liars, like everybody associated with the World Bank.
“Our commitments focus on putting revenue into the community through direct payments and economic spin-offs and growing individual and business capacity, so when we leave they have more options for the future than what we started,” said Tom Ormsby.
That would be the end of the opportunities. The Indians have enough that they could be too busy to work in a mine for 10 years and try to pay off a loan that runs for 20 years
De Beers are focused on a long-term, sustainable approach.
Long term at max profits for the owners of the mines and as little to anybody else. Company Towns are the only way they operate and the place will be worse off when they leave, by design. The Indians need better money managers than they have and the mines would be bring in all their employees and the village would be richer at the end of 10 years.
“Our IBA makes Attawapiskat First Nation the priority for every opportunity that comes out of our Victor Mine and that includes jobs, training and business contracts. Everything we do we run through them first,” Ormsby said.
It is a way to cut expenses. If the welfare of the locals was a concern the Govt would have had all that in place already. How many of those people are able to retire and travel for the rest of their life because of that 10 years of having a job.
The company has long realized there was a housing problem at Attawapiskat. The community is prone to flooding. In 2009, at an estimated cost of $3 million, they donated two industrial-style accommodation trailers, once used to house 96 workers at the mine. They also sent appliances and furniture to the reserve.
They should, the same people that get their mining reports get the reports from Health Canada and the Red Cross.
Recently, they’ve freed up a senior manager, whose built mines in both Canada and Africa, to help install the new housing that’s been sent to the community.
That is because the mold was that bad. South Africa was run so the blacks were kept as poor and as uneducated as possible. He was probably an expert in diseases and what a plague looks like, such as would be the case in each village every spring, by design. He would probably be the author of the part below that blames the Indians for their own misfortunes even though every aspect of their lives is controlled by the same people that are obedient to the same ones whites in South Africa
At some point, the band council and chief at Attawapiskat have to stop seeing themselves as victims – and take control of their community.
Really?? When the flock is uneducated and as poor as possible it is the fault of the ones acting as their shepherds if the shepherds live is not the very same. It is the first argument a racist makes when he is the cause of their misery. Racists are also chronic liars, this will show they aren’t very good at it so their immorality end up being on full display
The only way their community will be sustainable is if they educate their young people to look after themselves and not keep relying on the outside world to do everything for them.
The Indians should all be home schooled and each village has a terminal in their home and all are linked together for school as well as all other social media function so a village of 1900 is close knit and so are all the other villages on their network. Along with basic skills, trades are online so hobby level knowledge is a few mouse clicks away.
Government, private companies, charities, aid groups – all have proved only too willing to help first nations.
All charging a premium price and the health issues never improve. In a real world they would become ‘co-defendants’ at the World Court.
But it has to be a two-way street.
If it was this company would not be the only company allowed in the north and they would have identified the problem and applied a permanent solution rather than slum conditions will return and the Indians will bet the blame in the media
Until reserves graduate engineers to take care of their water plants, until they produce their own teachers who can motivate young aboriginal children to finish high school and go to university they will never be able to control their own destiny.
The companies that manufacture the equipment put out their own video that shows the operator when to change the filters. Frozen pipes means the Govt gave them bad advice as hauling water to a home is a fool-proof water delivery system for a village that has no way to fix the break until the ground thaws many months later. A shed for a water tank and a septic tank is all the community would need and a new home could be added without having to dig anything up.
This more than anything shows the ones that are supposed to be helping will not make even the slightest suggestion that would actually help the people.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/john-ivison-with-millions-pouring-into-attawapiskat-colonial-blame-only-go-so-far
Failed colonial policies are the biggest obstacles to First Nation progress, Shawn Atleo told a gathering of native chiefs in Ottawa Tuesday. The Assembly of First Nations chief was referring to moves such as Ottawa’s decision to put the troubled Attawapiskat reserve in northern Ontario under third party management. “We simply can’t lurch from crisis to crisis and we can’t accept externally imposed solutions,” he said, before lauding the chief of Attawapiskat for demonstrating transparency and accountability.
A 3rd party would work only of the party was Interpol and the whole north was treated as a crime scene. The problems identified in a few communities are all through the north and Health Canada is the ‘experts’ the Villages have asked for help time and time again and the help that would be given in a flood in Calgary (2013). The lack of good advice means the unhealthy conditions are meant to continue and the medical evaluation are done to monitor the effects of substandard housing. The Residential School system was ended in 1960 so experiments should be investigated back to 1950. It is collective torture rather than simply collective punishment and the ones giving the orders arte the health officials that advise the World Bank. That makes it an international crime and JT is an employee, a willing employee that is willing to torture his own citizens to comply with a request from non-Canadians. He is not the first to comply with those requests.
Yet the decision to intervene was simply the government exercising its fiduciary duty. The apparent mismanagement of this band by its chief, council and the co-manager, who is meant to be advising the chief but turns out to be her “life partner,” made the worst of an already bad situation. Chief Theresa Spence spoke to the chiefs in Ottawa Tuesday and urged them to take an aggressive stand with the government. “We’re not going to take it anymore,” she said.
The whole north is under the same policy, make living conditions as bad as possible and never offer any solutions by sell them many expensive solutions that do nothing to fix the underlying problem of abnormal health issues from cradle to grave. If the Chiefs aren’t looking and implementing fixes on their own they are part of the ones allowing the experiments to be carries out.
The simple fact is, she has been stripped of authority because money has been pouring into the reserve and yet conditions have deteriorated beyond any acceptable level.
The money would have been spent in the direction Health Canada suggested. When Health Canada fails to identify mold as the main health hazard they are there to make sure that condition continues to make life as painful as possible in both physical and emotional terms.

Chief Spence has made much of the De Beers diamond mine that is sited on the band’s traditional lands. “While [Ottawa, the provincial government and De Beers Canada] reap the riches, my people shiver in cold shacks … Precious diamonds from my land grace the fingers and necklaces of Hollywood celebrities,” she said.
The housing issues were there before and they affect all northern villages who have spent enough money they should all be warm and dry and have all the latest entertainment devices. The ones that own the mining companies also own the companies doing the medical experiments so you are looking for the abuser to come to the rescue. Life will get worse; if everybody in the north dies they would not shed a single tear. They have a long track record of showing that
What she didn’t say is that, in addition to the $90-million Attawapiskat has received from the federal government over the past five years, it has also received millions from De Beers. The company has pledged around $30-million over the 12-year life of the $1-billion Victor mine, made up of an initial signing bonus of $1-million and at least $2-million a year since 2005.
Where is the $90M of all the communities look the same, a slim that would be torn down if it was in any city in the world. Throwing more money in makes the thieves richer. Have Interpol go over the Govt books and the $90M will be found in the pockets of the ones who are supposed to be working for the Indians rather than against them. Covered in another part of this thread
The money is paid into a trust, to which the band has access. In fact, in each of the past two years, it has withdrawn $1-million, according to the band’s financial statements. It begs the question: why didn’t the council access this rainy day fund to build some emergency housing and avert the crisis that has now engulfed the community?
Why should they have to spend that money whet the money they already spent has shown zero results on the ground. There should have been no housing issues there ot in anyplace in the north, let alone in every single village the same issues are present and never fixed by the ones who admit they have been running the show, the Canadian Government under all parties who can have power because they see the data and raise no complaints while the conditions would not be tolerated in their riding.
When the project was announced, the government made available $10-million in skills training, an amount De Beers augmented with a further $1.8-million in facilities and equipment. One person familiar with the training program said the numbers who enrolled were much lower than had been anticipated. Around 500 people from the reserve were hired during the construction phase but only 100 people still work there today.
For the same money each home in every village in the north could be on wi-fi, both in the village for chatting but also education through long distance learning as well as trades that supply DIY training. All the safety courses needed to work in a mine are also useful when being part of a remote community where input from the residents is the replacement for experts being on call 24/7liker they are in a city. Basic H2S course would eliminate all the sewer and mold issues across the board that seem to escape the notice of all the experts the Indians have to bring in as the information is not available to them, at any cost let alone being free like it should be.
As part of the deal with De Beers, $325-million in contracts have been funnelled through solely owned or joint-owned companies based on Attawapiskat since construction started in 2006. Attawapiskat Resources Inc. currently has contracts to provide catering, dynamite and helicopter services to Victor. However, despite all that business flowing through ARI, the band’s accounts suggest just it has made just $99,867 in profits since its inception.
The mine pulled in $2.7B worth of diamonds per year yet they paid nothing in taxes. If $110k is all there was in profits then the rest of the $325M went to companies associated with running the businesses, such as machines and interest on the bank loans, ones that need to be paid off on the 10 years the mine will be open.
People familiar with the impact benefit agreement (IBA) signed between the band and De Beers say the terms are comparable to other IBAs signed at the time but the physical benefits in Attawapiskat are far less apparent than in other aboriginal communities that signed similar deals, such as the Innu at Voisey’s Bay in Labrador. The IBA was ratified by nearly 90% of band members (even if some disgruntled residents suggest a lack of understanding meant only one in five people voted). This is not the picture of colonial exploitation that many people have been quick to paint.
Covered in other areas already, it boils down to the communities should have all been thriving with diamond miners, from South Africa of all places, have to come to the rescue. The emergency moves they made means the conditions were much worse that would be allowed in the slums in South Africa.
Where Shawn Atleo was correct was in his assertion that we must reset the relationship between First Nations and the Crown. The government has to acknowledge the history at play here – and the fact that Aboriginal Affairs underfunds on-reserve services in per capita terms compared to provincial averages. Even John Duncan, the Minister, has admitted there is a funding gap between the amount native students receive and the funding kids in provincial schools get.
Try not to swept the torture part under the rug, that would be a lot of money for all the people of the north once it made its way through the ICC
But if more money is to be invested in First Nations, there must be a better sense that it is being well spent. The government has tried to make improvements, such as the Financial Transparency Act that will require chiefs and councils to disclose their salaries. But these moves don’t go far enough. If we are really going to “shatter the status quo,” to borrow from Chief Atleo, thought needs to be given to dismantling the whole broken system and introducing real accountability on reserves.
Another sign that Ottawa is trying to distance itself from the poor living conditions they have imposed for 50 years or so on an unsuspecting population, one they have an oath to protect no doubt.

In his 2008 book, A New Look at Indian Policy, author and former politician Gordon Gibson suggested how this might be done. He called for a shift from collective rights to individual rights – in practical terms, this would be done by diverting funds from the chief and council to the individual band member. Under Mr. Gibson’s proposal, a Guaranteed Annual Income would be paid directly to individuals, who could then take that money with them off-reserve to spend on health or education.
That is a UN policy, why not just trace the finds to see why it isn’t already getting into the hands of the individuals already. The Indians should have their own stores that are the size of a Walmart as well as having ‘on-line shopping’ with links to e-bay being part of that same store.
Why give them money if the only place they can spend it is in the stores at the edge of the Reserve?
Mr. Gibson was very conscious of the accusations of assimilation that bedevilled Pierre Trudeau’s attempts to reform Indian policy in the late 1960s. “Change, if it is to come, must be chosen, not imposed,” he said. He was explicit that the existing “parallel system” must remain in place. But a new layer of choice would be added to the system that “would treat Indians as ordinary Canadians with some special additions to meet historical challenges.”
Sounds like ‘forked-tongue’ lingo.
In education, he suggested a voucher system, to be administered by parents, and to be used at any available school in the province.
Villages should be home schooled through networking within the villages as well as a central system just for the villages as all their training. If you can’t learn your trade inline you need to be in a different trade. Village life needs some skilled people; they do not need a universe education to get through a supper conversation. You do need to remember what the Army Field manual said about fixing a broken leg so you can walk back to the village
For matters of on-reserve governance, such as economic development or municipal services, he argued the money should be given to individuals and then taxed back by the chiefs and council, introducing the concepts of taxation and enhanced accountability to reserves. This could all prove expensive for Ottawa – it would inevitably mean off-reserve natives also receive payment, albeit perhaps at a lower level. But the plan would have the benefits of enhancing mobility and accountability, two of the major problems facing Attawapiskat.
Rather than make those choices for them set up a network so they can follow along 24/7, rather than getting the results a year after they gave been implemented. To not implement that when it is possible is just shuffling who is supposed be the one where the buck stops should the scam be called out for what it is.
This type of band-level equalization argument has been knocking around for some years now. The barriers to it would be immense – cost, complexity and hostility from vested interest such as the chiefs. But the idea has the beauty of gelling with the historic Indian sense of self.
The fix is already in that says more money will be stolen from all of them and destiny is they will be kept in the dark as much as possible and then me blamed for being in the dark. Be more than happy to show how the few Whites in South Africa are blaming the millions of Blacks for being so uneducated they are not qualified to hold down any jobs at all let alone run the country and the businesses and the farms. If the Indians are treated like that they are being though of as ‘a lesser race’ by the Government that is also their protector, on paper anyway.
As was explained to me by someone who has lived on James and Hudson Bays for the past 40 years, there is little concept of surrendering individual freedoms for the good of a larger group among many natives. “As a nomad, I go where I please and I do what I please.” Since the government found it impractical to deal with so many small wandering groups, they were gathered into “bands” and told to elect a chief. But this remains an alien unworkable system, he said.
That doesn’t mean he isn’t entitled to have all the best equipment (solar powered ski-doo)when he is wandering around, such as all the info a miner would have if he was prospecting for goodies to make the members of his band a bit richer
Giving people back the freedom to wander, with the security of being able to access vital services, sounds like an improvement over current Indian policy, which in the words of Gordon Gibson has become “a world that is both a fortress and a prison.”
Step one, a network that allows all the villages to chat daily rather than at a special meeting once a year that lasts for a few hours and then nothing gets acted in the next 2 years anyway.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You sure like to waste your time copy and pasting long rambling posts that nobody will read

It was time well spent, the time I spend on this post is what a complete waste of time looks like. This is how long a post to you looks like and even then is will be more than you can reply to, such is the fuktardity of the collective and you seem to lead the charge every time.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Still trying to convince us that FN corruption has nothing to do with their own state of affairs
Not at all, I steer well clear of individual people who refer to themselves in the plural when trying to show how 'alpha' they are.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Still trying to convince us that FN corruption has nothing to do with their own state of affairs
I'm more than willing to read anything you care to link to that would support your position, I'm also more than a little aware that you will never post any such material so I'm not sure why quality posts such the one I'm quoting means I should fall over backwards in admiration. The missing $90M is something you would reference I'm sure. Seems like it is not as vanished as promoted. This link starts the breakdown. One question I have is why a prefab or a trailer costs $125K to deliver it. The $28M that did go to housing should show a lot of repairs for mild that comes every-time a place is flooded.

The 2013 Calgary flood could be used as an example of the work and the speed it was done. Health inspections should include a form for minimal housing standards, those are the ones that would identify health hazards of all sorts, right down to drafts and storm windows and I assume that is why you will be claiming all their problems are caused by themselves. They aren't independent and they do not get bids submitted and Indian Affairs is famous for providing as little as possible for as much money as the public will stand. If they got billed the amount in the documents below and received the 'services' there would be a lot of companies facing class action lawsuits.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...-nations-housing-crisis-into-perspective.html
ATTAWAPISKAT, ONT.—The intractable housing crisis plaguing Attawapiskat and many First Nations communities across Canada is brought into sharp focus by Teresa Kataquapit.
Standing in her three-bedroom home, Kataquapit, 75, eyes the broken, loose and stained ceiling tiles; the heaving and cracked linoleum floors; the plastic-covered and boarded-up windows.
“It’s very cold,” a somewhat embarrassed Kataquapit says in Cree.
“You can feel the drafts all over the place, the windows, the doors, everywhere. There’s mould in this house.”
The home to five people has been condemned as unfit. It’s one of about 80 homes in this hard-scrabble reserve in need of a bulldozer.

Attawapiskat has about 340 homes for its 2,100 residents, an average of seven people in each. Some house as many as 13 people. Coupled with substance abuse, the crowded conditions are fertile for abuse and despair — factors that play directly into the headline-grabbing suicide crisis afflicting the community.
With close to a quarter of existing units condemned, the pressure on the community is enormous and rising — the population is projected to grow by almost 20 per cent in the coming decade.
What you have, says Wayne Turner, the chief executive officer of the Attawapiskat First Nation, is the very definition of a housing crisis.
“Each and every year, there’s new demand,” Turner says in his construction-trailer office. “Our ability to provide housing is limited. We are limited by financial resources and capacity issues.”
https://nationalpost.com/opinion/brett-hodnett-the-real-math-behind-attawapiskats-90-million
Let’s start with some simple math.
First, $90 million is a deceptive number. It refers to federal funding received since Harper’s government came into power in 2006. In the 2010-2011 fiscal year, Attawapiskat received $17.6 million in
federal funds (PDF). The document linked to shows the breakdown of federal funds in case you wanted to know how much is allocated to things like medical transportation, education, maternal health care and so on.Thus, $90 million refers to the total; the average is about $18 million per year in federal funding since 2006.
[As an aside, you will often see the figure of $34 or $35 million in funding given to Attawapiskat on a yearly basis. This refers to total revenues. As noted, federal funding was $17.6 million, and provincial funding was $4.4 million. The community brings in about $12 million of its own revenue, as shown here. So no, the ‘government’ is not giving Attawapiskat $34 million a year.]
Okay fine, but where did it go?
Attawapiskat publishes its financial statements going back to 2005. If you want to know where the money was spent, you can look in the audited financial reports. This document (PDF) for example provides a breakdown of all program funding.
Just getting to this stage alone proves the falsehood of the claim that there is no accountability and no one knows where the money goes.
But $90 million could have built the community 360 brand new houses!
Assuming, as Grand Chief Stan Louttit of the Mushkegowyk Council has stated, that a new house costs $250,000 to build in Attawapiskat (with half of that being transportation costs), then yes, 360 new units could have been provided by $90 million.
However, this money was not just earmarked for the construction of new homes.
An important fact that many commentators forget (or are unaware of) is that section 91(24) of the Constitution Act of 1867 gives the Federal Crown exclusive powers over “Indians, and Lands reserved for the Indians.”
You see, for non-natives, the provinces are in charge of funding things like education, health-care, social services and so on. For example, the Province of Ontario allocated $10,730 in education funding per non-native pupil in the 2010-2011 fiscal year. For most First Nations, particularly those on reserve, the federal government through INAC is responsible for providing funds for native education.
How is this relevant?
It helps explain why the entire $90 million was not allocated to the construction of new houses. That $90 million includes funding for things like:

• education per pupil
  • education infrastructure (maintenan*ce, repair, teacher salaries, etc)
  • health-care per patient
  • health-care, infrastruc*ture (clinics, staff, access to services outside the community in the absence of facilities on reserve)
  • social services (facilitie*s, staff, etc)
  • infrastruc*ture (maintenan*ce and constructi*on)
  • a myriad of other services
These costs are often not taken into account when attempting to compare a First Nation reserve to a non-native municipality. In fact, many people forget that their own health-care and education are heavily subsidized by tax dollars as well.
What’s the point here?
How much money was actually allocated to housing in 2010-2011? Page 2 of Schedule A (PDF) shows us that out of the $17.6 million in federal funds, only $2 million was provided for housing. Yes, even $2 million would be enough to 8 brand new homes, if those funds were not also used to maintain and repair existing homes. The specific breakdown of how that money was spent is found in Schedule I.
Now, I admit I am confused about something:
According to figures providing by Aboriginal Affairs, the Attawapiskat Cree band has received just over $3 million in funds specifically for housing and a further $2.8 million in infrastructure money since 2006.​
That is actually less than I estimated it would be, going by the 2010-2011 figures. I estimated $10 million for housing, but INAC (now Aboriginal Affairs) is saying it was $5.8 million.
Anyway, that isn’t too important. The point is, if INAC is correct, only $5.8 million has gone towards housing for Attawapiskat. At most that could have built the community 23 new houses, if Attawapiskat had merely let the older houses go without any repairs or maintenance for 5 years. Letting existing homes go to pieces in a remote and harsh environment is not a great strategy, however.
The point here is, $90 million sounds like a huge amount, but the real figures allocated to housing are much, much smaller.
Fine, they got $5.8 million for housing, surely that is enough?
Again, assuming 23 new homes were built, and all older homes were left without maintenance and repairs, and the people in charge of housing worked for free and there were no other costs associated with administering the housing program, Attawapiskat would still be experiencing a housing crisis.
It is estimated that $84 million is needed for housing alone to meet Attawapiskat’s housing needs (you’ll find those figures in a small table on the right, titled “Attawapiskat by the numbers”).
The Feds are just handing that money over and the Band does whatever it wants with it!
Many people seem to be labouring under the misapprehension that First Nations have self-governance and run themselves freely. This is far from the truth, but given that most Canadians are familiar with the municipal model, the confusion is actually understandable. It isn’t as though Canada does a very good job of teaching people about the Indian Act.
Section 61(1)(a-k) of the Indian Act declares that: “With the consent of the council of a band, the Minister may authorize and direct the expenditure of capital moneys of the band” for various purposes.
What this means is that Ministerial approval is actually a requirement before any capital expenditures can occur on reserve. In practice, a Band will generally pass a Band Council Resolution (BCR) authorising a certain expenditure (say on housing), and that BCR must be forwarded to INAC for approval.
That’s right. Most First Nations have to get permission before they can spend money. That is the opposite of ‘doing whatever they want’ with the money. Bands are micromanaged to an extent unseen in nearly any other context that does not involve a minor or someone who lacks capacity due to mental disability.
Any claims that INAC has no control over what Bands spend their money on is false.
I would hope by now you’d ask the following question:
If INAC has to approve spending, why is Harper so confused?
(in part)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
You seem to be warm and dry so it appears it is just a 'fuk everybody else' mentality. Not unexpected considering what a racist fuks you and the collective are. In your case it is 'self-hate', no cure as far as I know.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...d-traces-anesthetic-gas-hospital-nursery.html
Nurses urge Staten Island hospital to move its entire maternity ward over mold and leaking gas fears after 53 staff fall sick

• The mold and anesthetic gas traces were detected in the maternity ward at Staten Island University Hospital North in New York
  • After the mold was found, staffers reported dizziness, swollen throat, headaches and even losing their voices
  • The mold was located and decontaminated in September, the hospital said
  • The nursery was moved to a backup location as a precaution
  • In December, traces of anesthetic gasses were found in the maternity ward
  • The levels are said to be below the recommended exposure limit
  • Nurses want the entire maternity ward to be relocated for health and safety
Nurses at a New York hospital want the entire maternity ward to be moved following the discovery of elevated mold levels and traces of anesthetic gasses found in the unit, which staffers believe are making them sick.
The nurses told the New York Daily News that 53 people working at Staten Island University Hospital North, in Staten Island, New York, have reported experiencing headaches, dizziness, swollen throats and other symptoms in the past few months.
Their symptoms, apparently, started manifesting after air quality monitoring devices detected mold and trace amounts of anesthetic gases in the hospital's maternity unit.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
A lack of pride of ownership. It's your fault Twin Moose. You should be paying for maids to clean up after the Keepers of the Earth.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
All your articles are refuted in your other threads because you start a new thread doesn't make those ones disappear.
Like you would pass up in the opportunity to point that out as soon as you saw something that was in error.

How would you fix up the 80 places that are said to be in need of bulldozing?? Use the pic above to start your renovation or is that $125,000 unit good to go as is??

http://blacktoxicmolds.com/vinegar-kill-mold.php
Does Vinegar Kill Mold

Vinegar kills bacteria and germs. Vinegar also kills 82% of mold species.

This page tells you how to kill mold with vinegar. The Mold Removal page also provides a step by step guide to the entire mold removal process.

Vinegar Information

Many mold killing products contain chemicals. These chemicals can be allergenic, bad for the environment, and bad for your family and pets.

Vinegar, on the other hand, is a natural acid. Vinegar is totally non-toxic and safe of course. You can drink it, afterall. Vinegar is also biodegradable and fine for the environment.

Although vinegar leaves a strong smell, the fumes are not harmful at all.

It is very cheap to buy vinegar. You can easily find bottles of white vinegar in the supermarket.

Mixing Vinegar With Other Mold Killing Solutions

Vinegar can mix well with some mold killing solutions. This can make the vinegar even more effective at killing mold.

However, never mix vinegar with bleach. Vinegar and bleach create a toxic mix.

Some mold killing products which are safe to mix with vinegar are borax, hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, and salt.

For information about using bleach or borax to kill mold see the killing mold with bleach page or the killing mold with borax page.

The Health Canada site has suggestions that are not helpful.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
AttAttawapiskat First Nation
Schedule 2
-
Schedule of Consolidated Expenses by Object
For the year ended March 31, 2018
Consolidated expenses by object 2018 2017
Administration 112,722 - 103,204
Amortization 5,084,375 - 5,048,859
Bad debts 963,668 - 1,004,679
Bank charges and interest 148,983 - 137,614
Consulting, contracted services 362,143 - 1,267,664
Freight 430,245 - 312,533
Honouraria 317,368 - 323,439
Insurance 769,629 - 821,297
Interest on long-term debt 103,690 - 111,887
Office and other 506,194 - 424,153
Professional fees 590,668 - 482,762
Purchases - material and other 3,416,763 - 1,081,344
Equipment leases 545,247 - 327,978
Rent 169,120 - 153,153
Repairs and maintenance 3,303,04 - 2 2,881,446
Salaries and benefits 13,471,214 - 12,882,298
Social assistance 6,087,098 - 6,111,761
Student tuition expenses 1,471,175 - 1,368,794
Supplies 1,879,701 - 2,563,307
Training and professional development 696,375 - 339,559
Utilities 1,548,026 - 1,537,779
Vehicle and travel 1,108,282 - 979,604
Capital expenditures (5,894,659) - (2,694,250)
Total 37,191,069 - 37,570,864

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Student tuition expenses 1,471,175 - 1,368,794

When the 'north' is taken to include all the villages that brings people up to grade 8. Just what you need to be a client of the Government for life. Each village could have its own domain and the whole village part of the same network that is available from every house in the village. The children that are in a Govt School through long distance learning can do their grades like that and the individual decides what he learns from that point on. Off-grid living would be a popular channel without a doubt.

https://www.adlc.ca/
ADLC is restructuring to serve schools and students better.
Can our students still use ADLC to complete courses?
Yes, ADLC continues to provide Student Instruction services to school aged Alberta students with online and print course options from grades 1-12.
Can teachers still use ADLC resources?
Yes, teachers in Alberta School Authorities can continue to use ADLC materials through Teacher Support.

The odds are pretty high that a child in a close knit village could enter a primary grade and take the final test and pass so in the year he would be working on the next years work. That isolation keeps distraction away and the long winters are perfect for learning new things when all you have to do is change what chair you are sitting in.

This isn't the most important area but it does give the trolls a bit of time to save those 80 homes from the bulldozer as the replacement is 2 years away and a price of $20M.

Changes in other areas to fit with the 'wild west' kind of location means their innovations and improvements to material goods they receive as durability and ease of repair are needed and testing at a few villages is better than releasing an untested device to millions of users.

Welding plastic takes a 500watt soldering iron and some plastic. In the 21st century that would make you the village blacksmith in an age where plastic is currently useless once it is broken or the device it was a housing for no longer works.

Based on the articles, dried peat gives off some vapor and that 4ft crawl space under the floor should be insulated to at least T-100 consider that a broken pipe is broken for months. Put it in leaf bags and air them out in the summer months, if needed, at some point it should be able to just be left in place with minimal maintenance.

Being on the grid is fine, being able to produce power where the rates are high means you will qualify for a check instead of a bill each month. Hanging a weight from 20 ft will allow you to power a home.

A natural hill and a big weight on wheels will produce 240V for the whole block. Pull the weight back to the starting point with the community tractor (or horse) when needed.

Power is not the way to heat a house when you use a few cords of wood a month.
Coal is a better fuel for a whole village and air-tight stoves run above 90% efficiency and a windproof home with a high R-Value will have a crt- monitor and a few bodies will be putting enough heat the room doesn't need any more.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I'm quite capable of calling an Indian out when it is called for, ask Bones if I ever appear reluctant to do that.

Let's see if you can do the same for the Jews that run the World Bank or does your membership in the collective prevent that even when called for?? If you can't that is the worst form of racism as you are saying they are 'perfect as is'.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
Repairs and maintenance 3,303,04 - 2 2,881,446

This would have included the water treatment plant and like all communities it fails more often that it is delivering clean water. If the filters are ordered but not received and the story is the same at every village that is collective punishment and so far you have no complaints other than the Indians are causing their own misery.
That should also contain the amount spent on the yearly spring floods that are also a common problem with all villages. The money needed to save those 80 homes using items that should be available to any village in Canada rather than just the north would also come from those funds. If the advice of experts from the outside is bad advice they should be sued and a refund and damages awarded like it would be in the lower parts of Canada.

That is enough time to post some solutions for the homes in question and all you did is prove you only give a shit about the Jewish Collective so you are no different than a White African that is fine with hunting blacks to the point of extinction in the beginning and denying the rights that come with being the majority when they are the majority so don't pat yourself on the back too hard just yet. There is no medal of honor awarded to somebody who kills everybody that could ever be 'competition'. You are aware God in the Bible ended the exodus type if wars a long time ago, or you should be, the Jews with the most power are unaware of that, should somebody mention it to them (you) or not??

How much to fix up this guys house to the standards we all live by as they are codes that apply to the health of the people living in the homes. To help you get rid of the 'deer in the headlights' look I'll even submit a list that should be done as if this place was one of the 80 that seem to be past repair. Disrupting the person living as little as possible is also a goal.