Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just listening to the radio (980 CJME) & I wish I could find a transcription of the interview with Tom Korski, managing editor for Blacklock's Reporter.

He’s offering perspective on the Emergencies Act inquiry, & is stating that the trucks got to roll up in front of Parliament ‘cuz police intelligence believed there where a number of Indigenous protesters in the trucks….interesting soft shoe. Didn’t want to be racist or show insensitivity….equality, etc…interesting.

Then he’s saying that Liberals are already selecting their sacrificial goat…& it’ll be Marco Mendicino (Liberal Minister of Public Safety). Many other interesting things but it’s all just audio.

This is from months ago:

Mendicino’s own deputy minister appeared before the joint parliamentary committee examining why the Trudeau government made its unprecedented decision to invoke the Emergencies Act — thus suspending civil liberties across the country — to break up a three-week long street demonstration in Ottawa.

Rob Stewart, Mendicino’s deputy, offered up the novel explanation that when Mendicino said a dozen times going back to the protest in February that the police had asked for and recommended the federal government invoke the Emergencies Act, what he meant was that the police hadn’t directly given the government that advice or made that recommendation.

Rather, Stewart said, what Mendicino meant — and what everyone has apparently “misunderstood” — was that “law enforcement asked for the tools that were contained in the Emergencies Act.”

That, of course, is a distinction without a difference, or, as the National Post’s Colby Cosh described it, an explanation that asks us to believe that: “The cops didn’t ask for Pandora’s Box to be opened … they merely expressed a strong desire to have its contents distributed to them.”

The bottom line remains the same.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Just listening to the radio (980 CJME) & I wish I could find a transcription of the interview with Tom Korski, managing editor for Blacklock's Reporter.

He’s offering perspective on the Emergencies Act inquiry, & is stating that the trucks got to roll up in front of Parliament ‘cuz police intelligence believed there where a number of Indigenous protesters in the trucks….interesting soft shoe. Didn’t want to be racist or show insensitivity….equality, etc…interesting.

Then he’s saying that Liberals are already selecting their sacrificial goat…& it’ll be Marco Mendicino (Liberal Minister of Public Safety). Many other interesting things but it’s all just audio.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

You mean they hadn't already picked the fall guy?

What's wrong with you people?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
CBC’s Analysis of the PM’s consultation with the provinces before enactment of the Emergencies Act:
The Emergencies Act requires that all provinces "in which the direct effects of the emergency occur" be consulted before the act is invoked.

Counsel for the province of Saskatchewan argued during opening submissions before the Public Order Emergency Commission that the federal government already had decided to invoke the act before the call on Feb. 14.

"The call was not so much about consulting as it was about telling," said lawyer Michael Morris.

The provincial government of Alberta shares that view.

"Alberta's views were only asked for after the decision was apparently made, and they were basically ignored," said lawyer Mandy England. Oh well….check the box.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shot down the idea of negotiating changes to government policy and referred to an “armed insurrection” during discussions about convoy protests, according to notes tabled with the Emergencies Act inquiry on Thursday.

The notes, which are handwritten, were authored by Mr. Trudeau’s deputy chief of staff Brian Clow and do not depict an exact transcript of what was said.

During a Feb. 3 meeting with his national security and intelligence adviser Jody Thomas and others, Mr. Trudeau said: “No. No to changing government policy.” It is unclear exactly what the Prime Minister was responding to because the section in the notes above his comment is redacted.

“Their goal is to disrupt and undermine government institutions,” the Prime Minister continued, according to Mr. Clow’s notes. “Talking, sure, but this doesn’t get resolved this way. They can’t undermine democracy by terrorizing populations. This is bigger than neighbourhoods in Ottawa.”

Canada’s invocation of the Emergencies Act should be a “once-in-a-generation” move, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told reporters on Wednesday.

Once-in-a-generation move (?) only used by Trudeau’s outside of an actual declaration of war? Interesting take.

“The degree to which that threat was unprecedented, I think, is measured in the fact that our government needed to invoke the Emergencies Act to bring the(se) blockades to an end (as opposed to the previous railway blockades of course) and to guarantee Canada’s national security.”

On the evening of Feb. 9 (so Wednesday night), Prime Minister Justin Trudeau plainly told Ontario Premier Doug Ford that police did not need any extra powers to clear protests in Ottawa and Windsor.

“First of all, they’re not a legal protest. They’re occupying a municipal street and are not legally parked,” Trudeau said according to the PMO prepared readout. “You shouldn’t need more tools — legal tools — they are barricading the Ontario economy and doing millions of damage a day and harming people’s lives.”

1668175571199.png
Downplaying what was happening as people parking illegally on a municipal street is a far cry from a national emergency requiring the Emergencies Act (on Monday Feb. 14).

“I am of the view that we have not yet exhausted all available tools that are already available through the existing legislation,” (Currently current) RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki wrote to the office of (Currently current) Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino before the act was invoked.

The law is clear, the Emergencies Act is only to be invoked when there is an emergency which “cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.” The emergency must also be one that “arises from threats to the security of Canada and that is so serious as to be a national emergency.”

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
CBC’s Analysis of the PM’s consultation with the provinces before enactment of the Emergencies Act:
The Emergencies Act requires that all provinces "in which the direct effects of the emergency occur" be consulted before the act is invoked.

Counsel for the province of Saskatchewan argued during opening submissions before the Public Order Emergency Commission that the federal government already had decided to invoke the act before the call on Feb. 14.

"The call was not so much about consulting as it was about telling," said lawyer Michael Morris.

The provincial government of Alberta shares that view.

"Alberta's views were only asked for after the decision was apparently made, and they were basically ignored," said lawyer Mandy England. Oh well….check the box.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau shot down the idea of negotiating changes to government policy and referred to an “armed insurrection” during discussions about convoy protests, according to notes tabled with the Emergencies Act inquiry on Thursday.

The notes, which are handwritten, were authored by Mr. Trudeau’s deputy chief of staff Brian Clow and do not depict an exact transcript of what was said.

During a Feb. 3 meeting with his national security and intelligence adviser Jody Thomas and others, Mr. Trudeau said: “No. No to changing government policy.” It is unclear exactly what the Prime Minister was responding to because the section in the notes above his comment is redacted.

“Their goal is to disrupt and undermine government institutions,” the Prime Minister continued, according to Mr. Clow’s notes. “Talking, sure, but this doesn’t get resolved this way. They can’t undermine democracy by terrorizing populations. This is bigger than neighbourhoods in Ottawa.”

Canada’s invocation of the Emergencies Act should be a “once-in-a-generation” move, Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland told reporters on Wednesday.

Once-in-a-generation move (?) only used by Trudeau’s outside of an actual declaration of war? Interesting take.

“The degree to which that threat was unprecedented, I think, is measured in the fact that our government needed to invoke the Emergencies Act to bring the(se) blockades to an end (as opposed to the previous railway blockades of course) and to guarantee Canada’s national security.”

On the evening of Feb. 9 (so Wednesday night), Prime Minister Justin Trudeau plainly told Ontario Premier Doug Ford that police did not need any extra powers to clear protests in Ottawa and Windsor.

“First of all, they’re not a legal protest. They’re occupying a municipal street and are not legally parked,” Trudeau said according to the PMO prepared readout. “You shouldn’t need more tools — legal tools — they are barricading the Ontario economy and doing millions of damage a day and harming people’s lives.”

View attachment 16370
Downplaying what was happening as people parking illegally on a municipal street is a far cry from a national emergency requiring the Emergencies Act (on Monday Feb. 14).

“I am of the view that we have not yet exhausted all available tools that are already available through the existing legislation,” (Currently current) RCMP Commissioner Brenda Lucki wrote to the office of (Currently current) Public Safety Minister Marco Mendicino before the act was invoked.

The law is clear, the Emergencies Act is only to be invoked when there is an emergency which “cannot be effectively dealt with under any other law of Canada.” The emergency must also be one that “arises from threats to the security of Canada and that is so serious as to be a national emergency.”
Come on man . Embarrassing the PM . What could be a greater emergency in Canada ?

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The taxpayer subsidized media will continue to report what they are told to report. If one does not get news from a free news source, one is getting propaganda, not news.

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I await the release of the findings of this inquiry in Feb 2023. I don’t expect much but I’m very curious as to the reaction of the average Canadian….
Unfortunately, any result of this investigation are non-binding so the only thing that will come of this is whether Trudeau was "right" or "wrong" in calling the EA. That's it! Waste of time & money as far as I'm concerned since there'll be no repercussions. We need to hold people accountable and that won't happen. But I guess, Canadians will get "most of the facts" rather than the B.S. spewed by the government & MSM so that's good (apparently).

It's disgusting to me that politicians aren't held accountable in this country & people don't seem to give a damn. Lets just bury our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away. By the time we pull our heads out, the country will be unrecognizable. Hopefully, I'll be gone by then.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Unfortunately, any result of this investigation are non-binding so the only thing that will come of this is whether Trudeau was "right" or "wrong" in calling the EA. That's it!
Can’t expect much more than that. Perhaps it’ll register still in 2025 or whenever Jagmeet Singh allows the next election if before 2025.
Waste of time & money as far as I'm concerned since there'll be no repercussions. We need to hold people accountable and that won't happen. But I guess, Canadians will get "most of the facts" rather than the B.S. spewed by the government & MSM so that's good (apparently).
This is good, in that we get to hear facts instead of approved propaganda alone.
It's disgusting to me that politicians aren't held accountable in this country & people don't seem to give a damn. Lets just bury our heads in the sand and hope it all goes away. By the time we pull our heads out, the country will be unrecognizable.
That’s what elections are for.
Hopefully, I'll be gone by then.
Don’t know how to respond to this. All things shall pass, & we’ll dig out again over time.

Reactions: petros

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Can’t expect much more than that. Perhaps it’ll register still in 2025 or whenever Jagmeet Singh allows the next election if before 2025.

This is good, in that we get to hear facts instead of approved propaganda alone.

That’s what elections are for.

Don’t know how to respond to this. All things shall pass, & we’ll dig out again over time.
You are more optimistic than me , I feel Canada is broken beyond repair and this is just one of a thousand cuts hurrying the end along .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

That much I do agree with, at least in so far as this issue is bigger than neighbourhoods in Ottawa and that the goal was to disrupt and undermine government - they did want Trudeau gone immediately but our system does not work like that. I DON'T agree with the "talking, sure, but this doesn't get resolved this way". Fuck no, that's EXACTLY how it should'a been resolved.

Agreed, the railway blockades should have fallen under the EA...

Maybe.

But then the EA should be used much more, for every protest, if that's the case. Even if they're not quite the same as the Convoy and the wide scope of it.

Since it's not... was the EA the right call with the Convoy? I honestly don't know anymore. The more that comes out the less supportive of it I am (and I wasn't so much supportive before, rather I was ambivalent mostly to it).

That is a good point but then of course it went down the shitter because Trudeau's an ass, so...

As much as I can agree with that opinion, there's also enough... uncertainty? (confusion?) with the situation that I can see why it was called for.

Which is why I don't envy the judge here, only pity the man because no matter what he comes up with in his report, it's NOT going to be what people want and there's gonna be backlash.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
I don't even know WHAT happened. Its' all VERY weird, this was handled differently than we've seen any other major protest. I mean this isn't the first time, we had the G7 protests which were rolling protests for weeks and basically shut the city down (no honking tho. Amateurs .)

But this was handled differently to all of that. It sounds like the cops had a plan, but it sounds like the city wanted negotiatons which was working, but it sounds like the feds had other ideas (and perhaps didn't WANT a negotiated end), and the one thing that's clear is that NOBODY but the prime minister wanted the emergency act, which raises the question WHY did he want it? Just to screw with people's bank accounts? Would he have done more if the senate hadn't said they'd shoot it down? This was easily the most peaceful protest of it's size in Canadian history - and nobody knew how to cope with it?

I just don't even know what to say.

In the end nothing will happen at all with the inquiry. No one will end up being charged with anything. The dictator in Ottawa will once again walk away a free Marxist. This public inquiry kangaroo court is just a joke. Just more tax dollars being washed down the drain. Canada is well known for it's spend crazy foolishness. If anyone likes Canada, it is because they like living in a country where they want more taxes, more government and less freedom. Now that is what Canada is all about. This is Canada, don't you know. (n)

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
It's a good thought/point to consider. My cousin lives there and we talked during this. She brought up that her daughter was more on edge - she was going to Uni - than usual, and other people she/the family knew were also wary about the truckers, and this was days after they'd been there. So in the end maybe a bit of both?

Oh sure, worry about a bunch of patriotic truckers who had their children there with them and had bouncy castles put up for them to play on. Your cousin is probably scared of her own bloody shadow for shits sake. On edge my butt. (n)

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Yea but the powers that be wanted us all to believe they were anarchists out to overthrow the government . Shit Serryah has certainly been convinced this is the case .

Sorryah lives in a lefty liberal fantasy world. Reality is not her forte. Just saying. :giggle: