Life on death row, kind of a cake walk.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
The scum of the earth can be put anywhere up north, but not on Ellesmere Island - it is a national treasure and I would not see it come to harm, nor do these a**holes have the right to share in such beauty. Whatever is the matter with an iceberg???? ;-);-)

Of course it is a nonsense idea, Mowich. That is why I didn’t’ comment on it before. Ellesmere Island indeed. Why not put them in Niagara Falls or Stanley Park? That won’t be any more absurd than putting them on Ellesmere Island.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Frankly, murdering someone may or may not be a horrendous crime, depending on the circumstances. I think the death penalty would be useful for a few crimes - sexual exploitation of children, for example, and for multiple/mass murderers.

But for the run of the mill, killed a guy because he screwed my wife, nah. Give him life, and get on with it.

Death penalty is never right. It is always wrong. That is why all the developed countries (except USA and Japan) have abolished it. Even some developing counties have abolished death penalty (e.g. Mexico).

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Of course it is a nonsense idea, Mowich. That is why I didn’t’ comment on it before. Ellesmere Island indeed. Why not put them in Niagara Falls or Stanley Park? That won’t be any more absurd than putting them on Ellesmere Island.

What? Are you calling my idea "nonsense?!?" I thought it was perfectly reasonable, in that the death penalty issue would never need to be raised again. (Which it could, if the Conservatives ever get a majority...you never know)

As to the choice of locations, the idea was to keep them as far away from the population centres as possible, in case they did escape. I'm just trying to come up with a way to protect the innocent people that could otherwise be threatened by these ne'er-do-wells. And, one doesn't locate a sewer lagoon in plain view of the public, as it's equally as distasteful. A civilized country like ours does have to maintain a sense of decorum, doesn't it?

No, I doubt that placing it in Niagara Falls or Stanley Park would offer any net benefits to society. Besides, we're talking about punishment for heinous crimes, not rewards for doing good deeds...there is quite a difference!

It's all shaping up to be a win/win/win...the citizens win their safety, the government would no longer have to finance our expensive prison system, and then of course, the taxpayers win too.

Like I said, this concept seems to be gathering even more steam as we discuss it and improve it right here in the CC Forum...a very valuable medium for thoughtful examination of worthwhile subjects such as this.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
What? Are you calling my idea "nonsense?!?" I thought it was perfectly reasonable, in that the death penalty issue would never need to be raised again. (Which it could, if the Conservatives ever get a majority...you never know)

I don’t see that happening even if Harper gets a majority, countryboy. As I have said before, he is only pretending to govern from center right; he may actually belong to the far right.

So it is not inconceivable that he will try to bring it back. In that, he will fail miserably. First, not all Conservative MPs support death penalty. My guess would be that significant number of MPs from Ontario and perhaps all the MPS from Québec will be opposed to it.

Seeing that almost all the opposition MPs will be opposed to it, chance are very good that the legislation will get nowhere. When Mulroney tried to bring back death penalty with a Conservative majority, he failed miserably.

However, even if by dint of threats, bullying and intimidation Harper can get it through the Parliament, the Supreme Court will quash it in an instance. Death penalty is not in keeping with what the developed countries in the world do, it probably violates the Charter, and I don’t see Supreme Court agreeing to setting the clock on human rights back by 50 years, just to make Harper happy.

Plus, if he digs up the settled issue of death penalty, that is tantamount to committing political suicide and next election Conservatives will be lucky if they don’t end up in the third place, behind NDP.

I am sure Harper realizes all this, he is not stupid. So no matter how much he may want to bring back the death penalty, I seriously doubt that he will try to.

But in a way you are right. If religious right and some extremist right wingers have their way, Harper will ban abortion, bring back generous use of death penalty, ban homosexuality, restrict availability of contraception, mandate teaching of Book of Genesis in schools etc. Does that sound like Utopia to you?

I seriously doubt if Harper will try any of these, if he knows what is good for him (and he does).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
It's all shaping up to be a win/win/win...the citizens win their safety, the government would no longer have to finance our expensive prison system, and then of course, the taxpayers win too.

Like I said, this concept seems to be gathering even more steam as we discuss it and improve it right here in the CC Forum...a very valuable medium for thoughtful examination of worthwhile subjects such as this.

Really? Then i suggest you send it to Harper. Who knows, he may even make you the Minister of Justice, so that you can implement it.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Really? Then i suggest you send it to Harper. Who knows, he may even make you the Minister of Justice, so that you can implement it.

Thank you for suggesting that. However, I think it's not quite ready for official presentation yet - still needs a few more details. That's why I put it out here for discussion...can always use more input to get things "just right.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
"The point here is not whether Peterson is guilty or innocent, JLM. The point is that death penalty is wrong."- That is a bit different from what you said in the past when you said, the reason was the risk of executing an innocent person.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Bingo- it is an opinion which doesn't necessarily make it wrong. I say if it saves one innocent child's life then it's RIGHT.

I sometimes wonder why we don't simply castrate child molesters/killers - really! - then throw them on a ice berg.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I sometimes wonder why we don't simply castrate child molesters/killers - really! - then throw them on a ice berg.

I don't think you are being very practical, their box of matches would be useless on an iceberg.............................:smile::smile::smile:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
I don't think you are being very practical, their box of matches would be useless on an iceberg.............................:smile::smile::smile:

OK, so the policy could read, "No balls, no matches." (I like simple wording) ;-)

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Yes Well, I think death penalty is also a type of murder, it is preplanned, cold blooded killing by the government. That indeed is the definition of murder, cold blooded, pre planned killing of somebody.

Yes, but the second "murder" (i.e. death penalty) has a reason for it...it was caused by the first murder.

But if you're commenting on my "idea", I did point out that it is - in addition to lessening the existing financial burden on society - a substitute for the death penalty. It really doesn't make sense to me to spend a lot of money on a person who murdered some innocent victim. Does that make sense to you?

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

And this would be a bad thing.....Why???? :lol::lol::lol::lol: