Life on death row, kind of a cake walk.

countryboy

Traditionally Progressive
Nov 30, 2009
BC
Here's another option that might be worth considering...

Take the worst convicted criminals (murderers, for example), helicopter them into a multi-acred fenced compound (20 ft. high steel mesh with barbed wire on top) way up in an uninhabited area of the far north, with a knife and a package of matches, drop them in (gently) and then leave.

If they make it back to civilization, they automatically qualify for lifelong duty in cleaning up our highway ditches. If they don't, consider them fairly punished.

Capital (one-time) Infrastructure costs? The fence.
Operating costs? Minimal - The helicopter ride and regular (training) patrols with armed CF-18s to prevent any "friends" from helping the bad guys. And the knives and matches.
Savings? Reduced highway maintenace budgets. (More money for health care or other worthwhile programs)
Peace of mind that they won't re-offend? Priceless.

There are probably many variations or improvements that could be made to this "recommendation", but I'd keep it simple.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

Take the worst convicted criminals (murderers, for example), helicopter them into a multi-acred fenced compound (20 ft. high steel mesh with barbed wire on top) way up in an uninhabited area of the far north, with a knife and a package of matches, drop them in (gently) and then leave.

If they make it back to civilization, they automatically qualify for lifelong duty in cleaning up our highway ditches. If they don't, consider them fairly punished.

Operating costs? Minimal - The helicopter ride and regular (training) patrols with armed CF-18s to prevent any "friends" from helping the bad guys. And the knives and matches.
Savings? Reduced highway maintenace budgets. (More money for health care or other worthwhile programs)

There are probably many variations or improvements that could be made to this "recommendation", but I'd keep it simple.

Absolutely - not unlike my old theory of dropping them off on Ellesmere Island with a pocket knife and a box of matches. Great minds think alike.

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Absolutely - not unlike my old theory of dropping them off on Ellesmere Island with a pocket knife and a box of matches. Great minds think alike.

Well, there you go...the plan is gathering steam. I don't suppose anyone out there would want to "add anything?"... :lol:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Too bad we're out of Australias huh?

I don't think it need to be that big, geographically speaking. Can't imagine who would want to end up on Ellesmere Island or another choice spot like that, equipped with only a knife and a package of matches.

Deterrent value? Priceless.

(Disclaimer Note: I am not inferring that Ellesmere Island or any other place in our great North are undesirable places to live. I am only pointing out that the rather severe living conditions in those places for people not accustomed to them - without "conveniences" - might have a strong deterrent value)

Francis2004

Subjective Poster
Nov 18, 2008
Lower Mainland, BC

Are you nuts...:lol:

You would have all the Polar Bear, Wolf and any other animal rights people ( harm them from eating bad apples ) and would need to clean up the carcases for fear of causing plagues..

Not to say the least infringing on Inuit people lands..

Do you realize that cost.. :-|

I always tell my kids, if it sounds too good, it has to be.. :smile:

countryboy

Nov 30, 2009
BC
Are you nuts...:lol:

You would have all the Polar Bear, Wolf and any other animal rights people ( harm them from eating bad apples ) and would need to clean up the carcases for fear of causing plagues..

Not to say the least infringing on Inuit people lands..

Do you realize that cost.. :-|

I always tell my kids, if it sounds too good, it has to be.. :smile:

Good point, Francis. However, I think the animal issue might be addressed by the tall fence mentioned in the original plan. "Containment" of the problem is key to the success here. It's rather similar to a sewer lagoon - you keep all the "stuff" in one isolated location, where nature eventually takes care of it.

The infringement on Inuit lands is definitely an issue - however, this is for the "common good" of Canada so a negotiation for a one-time fee would be perfectly appropriate.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Quite so, Mowich. That is what they used to do in the old days. Convicted prisoner was hanged shortly after conviction, nobody really cared whether he was actually guilty or not.

Or drawn and quatered, burnt at the stake, beheaded, crucified - yes I am aware that such was the case in the past, SirJP, but thank you for reminding me. I would not go so far as to say, 'nobody really cared...' though. I don't like to tar everyone with the same brush and generalizations don't advance the discourse.

Indeed, that is what they do in dictatorships even today. But we can’t do that in a civilized society.

Dictatorships and other forms of totalitarian government do tend to take swift if sometimes injudicious action against criminals of all ilks.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Peterson in the US and Bernardo in Canada deserve much worse of a faith. But then we would become even greater monsters then them..

When we lose our ability to have empathy for anyone, we become worse then the serial killer.. That is exactly why these people became the monsters they are.. They lost or never had empathy..

Empathy..

Our ability to empathize is one of humanities greatest assests. However,I have come to understand over time that there are some human beings who are born without that ability. And, there are those whose lives have been so badly traumatized that any such ability was lost long ago.

I don't believe such people are monsters, that would give them some cachet in life, and they deserve none. I view them as aberrations of nature.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

The scum of the earth can be put anywhere up north, but not on Ellesmere Island - it is a national treasure and I would not see it come to harm, nor do these a**holes have the right to share in such beauty. Whatever is the matter with an iceberg???? ;-);-)

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, there you go...the plan is gathering steam. I don't suppose anyone out there would want to "add anything?"... :lol:

Probably not - outside of the possibllity that S.J. may like to billet two or three of them at his house............................:smile::smile::smile:

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Frankly, murdering someone may or may not be a horrendous crime, depending on the circumstances. I think the death penalty would be useful for a few crimes - sexual exploitation of children, for example, and for multiple/mass murderers.

But for the run of the mill, killed a guy because he screwed my wife, nah. Give him life, and get on with it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Frankly, murdering someone may or may not be a horrendous crime, depending on the circumstances. I think the death penalty would be useful for a few crimes - sexual exploitation of children, for example, and for multiple/mass murderers.

But for the run of the mill, killed a guy because he screwed my wife, nah. Give him life, and get on with it.

Or give the wife life....................:smile:

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Mowich has brought it to my attention that Ellesmere Island is a poor choice. I have to admit that I was thinking more of the 75,000 square miles of desolation and less of the 141 people living in Grise Fjord and the Natural beauty. (Not sure how the convicts would benefit greatly off the natural beauty, other than putting them in a better mood while they are trying to light a fire).

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Do you want to be practical or don't you? There is a lot of latitude between the situation of the old west, where arrest, trial and sentence were carried out in fifteen minutes and todays situation where convicts languish on death row for five or ten or even twenty years. (For those who think Peterson might be innocent, it's funny that the bodies were found in the exact location hundred of miles from home where he said he was fishing) Time to fire up OL' Sparky.

The point here is not whether Peterson is guilty or innocent, JLM. The point is that death penalty is wrong.

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
There really is no way around it. Appeals take time, even to be not granted: everyone gets the same chance to tell their story, regardless of the circumstances. The only way around it would be to have every single death penalty case tried by the supreme court in the first place. Then there would be no court to appeal to.

But then Supreme Court wouldn’t do anything else, Niflimir. They won’t have time to do anything else. They will need two Supreme Courts, one to only try the death penalty cases, the other to try everything else.

But having two Supreme Courts would be like having two Gods, which is the true one?

SirJosephPorter

Time Out
Nov 7, 2008
Ontario
Or drawn and quatered, burnt at the stake, beheaded, crucified - yes I am aware that such was the case in the past, SirJP, but thank you for reminding me. I would not go so far as to say, 'nobody really cared...' though. I don't like to tar everyone with the same brush and generalizations don't advance the discourse.

Life was cheap in the old days, Mowich (and it still is in many dictatorships). Nobody in the old days questioned the verdict of death penalty. The only way out of death penalty was if a pardon or clemency was issued by the ruler and it rarely happened.