A sobering warning.

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
EFFECT OF AGE AND VISUAL IMPAIRMENT ON DRIVING AND VISION PERFORMANCE
Accession Number:

The effects of age and visual impairment on driving and visual performance were investigated for a sample of 46 subjects including 10 young visually normal subjects, 18 elderly visually normal subjects, and 18 elderly subjects with early cataracts. Driving performance was assessed on a closed-road circuit for a series of driving tasks including peripheral awareness, maneuvering, reversing, reaction times, speed estimation, road position, and time to complete the course. Visual performance was assessed using disability glare tests, Pelli-Robson letter contrast sensitivity (CS), a measure of the useful field of view (UFOV), and simple and forced-choice reaction times. The results showed that group (young normals, elderly subjects with normal vision or cataracts) had a significant effect (p < 0.05) on driving and vision. The cataract subjects had poorer driving performance (p < 0.05) than either the elderly or young normal subjects, and the elderly subjects had poorer driving performance (p < 0.05) than the young. Similarly, the visual performance of the elderly subjects (with or without cataracts) was significantly worse (p < 0.05) than that of the young subjects. The elderly subjects had higher disability glare, poorer letter CS, and reduced ability on the UFOV task. These findings indicate that elderly subjects have poorer driving performance than young subjects and those with cataracts have still more difficulties, even though the cataract subjects had visual acuity greater than or equal to 6/12 and were therefore eligible to drive. These changes were reflected by reduced visual performance.

Well, that study confirms what most of us know instinctively....when I was younger I could have a couple of drinks and still drive safely.
Then I got cataracts and dropped the drinking and driving to zero, and quit driving at night.
I got the cataracts fixed, but still kept the drinking to zero when driving but last year on the two lane between Tottenham and Alliston, coming out of a curve, a one tonne black truck coming towards me is gradually crossing the center lane, coming straight towards me.
While I had more room to meet him on the left, he could have suddenly swerved back in his lane, so with only a split second, I swerved on my side of the road as I was meeting him, enough to just miss him without going too close to the ditch.

A quick look in the rearview mirror and he just slowly went back to his side of the road. He was probably texting and never even saw me.

While my wife was freaked out...the whole incident renewed my own confidence and now, at my age, I allow myself one beer if Im driving.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Well, that study confirms what most of us know instinctively....when I was younger I could have a couple of drinks and still drive safely.
Then I got cataracts and dropped the drinking and driving to zero, and quit driving at night.
I got the cataracts fixed, but still kept the drinking to zero when driving but last year on the two lane between Tottenham and Alliston, coming out of a curve, a one tonne black truck coming towards me is gradually crossing the center lane, coming straight towards me.
While I had more room to meet him on the left, he could have suddenly swerved back in his lane, so with only a split second, I swerved on my side of the road as I was meeting him, enough to just miss him without going too close to the ditch.

A quick look in the rearview mirror and he just slowly went back to his side of the road. He was probably texting and never even saw me.

While my wife was freaked out...the whole incident renewed my own confidence and now, at my age, I allow myself one beer if Im driving.

Yeah, that texting can be a real detriment. At least while driving impaired (not that I recommend it) a guy can still pay attention and a lot of people take extra pains just because they know they are impaired. Is that one glass of beer or one mug? :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You are in sad shape, go find yourself a shrink, boy. I'm sure there's a couple in T.O.

You're the one deflecting. You've said right here on this forum that living in a small town middle of no where you need a gun to protect your family from home invasion. You've said that no one should be allowed to have a drink with dinner, because they will kill you and your family on the highway. You threatened me right here in this thread because you think I am some threat to your family... what over a thousand miles away.

You say I need help?

Look old timer, it's over due!
Dr Mahmoud Abdalla Khalifa Abdelkader -- psychiatrist
Telephone: 250-542-3475
Address: 3410 28 Ave, Vernon BC V1T 1W9, Canada

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
If it were up to me cell phones and DVD players wouldn't work in vehicles.Bluetooth headsets, screaming kid's jonesing for Toopy and Binno or not.

Drunks, watching TV and talking on the phone while driving is just plain wrong.

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

I blame it on the bluegrass you keep doing! :p

If it were up to me cell phones and DVD players wouldn't work in vehicles.Bluetooth headsets, screaming kid's jonesing for Toopy and Binno or not.

Drunks, watching TV and talking on the phone while driving is just plain wrong.

Safety first people!

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Unforgiven and JLM, will both of you stick to the topic at hand and stop acting like children? And challenging each other to a fight? Give me a break! You're both adults, please act like it.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Unforgiven and JLM, will both of you stick to the topic at hand and stop acting like children? And challenging each other to a fight? Give me a break! You're both adults, please act like it.

Sorry about that, Shadow, didn't mean to get obstreperous, guess things went off the rails when guns got introduced into the discussion. Have a good day. :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007

Whoa this thread almost died. Thanks for reviving it Shadow! :smile:

Tests show that paying attention to a cell phone call impairs driving. Not just mucking about with the phone, or talking, just listening causes some level of impairment. Not all accidents involve drunk drivers. Some which are apparently of little importance, happen due to momentary distraction.

Smoking while driving also impairs ability, so what measures should be taken to prevent death on the roads from this problem?

What about emotional content influencing driving behaviour? Should some types of music be banned in cars or all music for that matter as some of the influences are described as aggressive? Very little research has been put into this aspect of driving. Though when you don't have a lobby group like MADD that makes the kind of profit off the emotional response to tragedy, you aren't going to get the same amount of attention.

Last edited:

tl_2222

Apr 2, 2011
Drinking and driving...."imparied charges" ~ media statement. Impaired as in 1 drink? For most people except true light weights one drink is now the equivlant to one tylenol, one allergy pill, driving after a heated agruement with a loved one. So when you read "impaired driving" in the media tread lightly, that statement is not the equal to five years ago or even a year ago when impaired driving meant not being able to walk a straight line.

Horrible stretch of road, I was stopped there because of an accident, parked for three minutes on a dark night and someone drove into the back of my car, only seeing the green light they did not register what else was in front of them. She plowed through my car sending me into the intersection and I almost hit an emergency crew worker who jumped out of my way. It was terrible, did she get charged with attempted murder...no. Was she charged with anything - no. It was an accident, she did not see me and step on the gas aiming for me, she was driving the same route she always drove and did not see me at all. I have no urge to ruin her life because of it. That interstection is brutal.

Involved in an accident...move your vehicle very far from the road...vehicle will not move...get yourself far off the road, do not wait roadside like that is a safe place. IT IS NOT. Stopping to help someone, think twice about where you are standing, you are lining yourself up to be involved in a secondary accident, especially at night. Hopefully you have a safety vest or at least road flares from your emergency road kit. Do not have an emergency road kit in your vehicle, get one because accidents do happen, you never plan on them but you never know.

An accident does not make a killer. An accident as tragic as this ruins many lifes, the survivors of all parties will be feel pain in their heart forever. Let us wait until until the whole truth comes out before you convict someone on the words you read in the media, the media is not factual, we all know this.

Get your emergency kit in your vehicle, especially if you are going to be driving long after dark.

If you ever think you might drink and drive read this first ....Accused in double-fatal hit-run stays in jail - British Columbia - CBC News

This is not even a story of impaired driving as of yet. No charges have been finalized, do not take a spring time allergy pill today or drive aggitated after a hard day at work, that is the equivelant to one beer...the same that can be printed as "impaired driving" charges in the media these days.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Drinking and driving...."imparied charges" ~ media statement. Impaired as in 1 drink? For most people except true light weights one drink is now the equivlant to one tylenol, one allergy pill, driving after a heated agruement with a loved one. So when you read "impaired driving" in the media tread lightly, that statement is not the equal to five years ago or even a year ago when impaired driving meant not being able to walk a straight line.

Horrible stretch of road, I was stopped there because of an accident, parked for three minutes on a dark night and someone drove into the back of my car, only seeing the green light they did not register what else was in front of them. She plowed through my car sending me into the intersection and I almost hit an emergency crew worker who jumped out of my way. It was terrible, did she get charged with attempted murder...no. Was she charged with anything - no. It was an accident, she did not see me and step on the gas aiming for me, she was driving the same route she always drove and did not see me at all. I have no urge to ruin her life because of it. That interstection is brutal.

Involved in an accident...move your vehicle very far from the road...vehicle will not move...get yourself far off the road, do not wait roadside like that is a safe place. IT IS NOT. Stopping to help someone, think twice about where you are standing, you are lining yourself up to be involved in a secondary accident, especially at night. Hopefully you have a safety vest or at least road flares from your emergency road kit. Do not have an emergency road kit in your vehicle, get one because accidents do happen, you never plan on them but you never know.

An accident does not make a killer. An accident as tragic as this ruins many lifes, the survivors of all parties will be feel pain in their heart forever. Let us wait until until the whole truth comes out before you convict someone on the words you read in the media, the media is not factual, we all know this.

Get your emergency kit in your vehicle, especially if you are going to be driving long after dark.

You make a very good point, two young women were recently killed near Vancouver in a similar situation. A very sad incident. I personally think the level for "impaired" has to be set to cover the lowest common denominator and for that group even one drink is too many. I know it will never happen but for that reason I think the roads would be safer if drinking any amount before driving was prohibited. (forty years ago a law like that would have p*ssed me right off):lol:

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Why do pubs have parking lots?
So you can tell what kind of bar it is. Two or more jacked up mud trucks, means it's a redneck bar. Any number of, or combination of, BMW's or Audi's means it's a Yuppy/metrosexual bar.

More then one Prius, means it's a gay bar.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
I saw a grim reminder of drunk driving, in West Virginia, between the South and North bound lanes on I77. On a platform, there was a totally wrecked car. A sign said: Sometimes it takes a family of five to stop a drunk driver".

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I had the opportunity yesterday to talk to some tow truck drivers in Coquitlam B.C. They figure the new impaired driving regulations are the best thing since sliced bread- never had so much business and they just love nights the Canucks have played in the playoffs- every playoff night calls from the cops for a tow truck spike dramatically. Sounds like the new law is working. Not only does it give law abiding taxpayers a break but it creates a lot of employment for those in the towing industry. :lol:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
I was drinking and driving at lunch today. Nice pint of Guinness and Cobb salad then off we went to the Bass Pro Shop.
4 hours were killed in a most enjoyable way.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I was drinking and driving at lunch today. Nice pint of Guinness and Cobb salad then off we went to the Bass Pro Shop.
4 hours were killed in a most enjoyable way.

You are very very lucky it was just four hours you killed. It amazes me how driver's licenses are issued to that calibre of mentality! 8O

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
You are very very lucky it was just four hours you killed. It amazes me how driver's licenses are issued to that calibre of mentality! 8O

Yeah the caliber of mentality that thinks rather than follows along unquestioningly is a problem for the Taliban too.
I am not even close to intoxicated drinking a beer with lunch. Why do you feel that just because there is someone in the world who can't drink responsibly, I can't?

That's the problem with that caliber of thinking. Drinking and driving doesn't necessarily mean impaired driving. 34 years of accident free driving means I'm not very very lucky, it means I'm a skilled and responsible driver. Nothing wrong with me having a beer with lunch and then driving. Maybe you can't do that, but I'm not confined by your limitations.

you want a medal?

Do you want to **** off?

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Yeah the caliber of mentality that thinks rather than follows along unquestioningly is a problem for the Taliban too.
I am not even close to intoxicated drinking a beer with lunch. Why do you feel that just because there is someone in the world who can't drink responsibly, I can't?

That's the problem with that caliber of thinking. Drinking and driving doesn't necessarily mean impaired driving. 34 years of accident free driving means I'm not very very lucky, it means I'm a skilled and responsible driver. Nothing wrong with me having a beer with lunch and then driving. Maybe you can't do that, but I'm not confined by your limitations.

Do you want to **** off?

Yeah, you're a legend in your mind! :smile:

Unforgiven

Force majeure
May 28, 2007
Yeah, you're a legend in your mind! :smile:

How would you know what I am? We've never met, you've seen nothing of me other than what I have posted here. Of that I doubt you read half and understood even less. Beyond that, it's simple biology. One beer isn't enough to intoxicate me. Not at all. It's science man not just my opinion. That you don't have the wherewithal to reach that simple conclusion should tell you that you're seriously under gunned in this argument and preclude any more silly statements like the last one.

But you're not one for science are you...