UNRWA. It's like this...

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1706753812677.jpeg
So, I see Saudi Arabia, & Kuwait, & Qatar, & Turkey on the list…not listed as others…

But I don’t see Iran (who has figured out an alternative method of donating to Palestinians), or Iraq, or Jordan, or Syria, or Yemen or Oman…or Egypt or South Africa or Afghanistan or Pakistan? Queer that? Solidarity & such…with Hezbollah and the Yahtzee Youth and so on and so forth, you’d think you’d see more Middle Eastern Muslim countries listed prominently with their oil$$’s but maybe they’re in the “others” category

I guess as far as Muslim countries go, both Norway & Denmark are still on the list, but Sweden is out.

UNRWA scandals have come and gone quite routinely over the years, but the latest rounds are shockers. They include an intelligence dossier assembled by the Israel Security Agency, the Israel Defence Forces’ intelligence directorate and Israel’s Coordinator of Government Activities in the Territories that appears to show that roughly 1,200 UNRWA employees in Gaza — roughly ten percent of UNRWA’s Gaza staff — are full-patch members of Harakat al-Muqawama al-Islamiya, the terror organization better known as Hamas.
1706755825621.jpeg
These reports contribute heavily to a long-standing UNRWA credibility problem that took a dramatic turn for the worst a couple of weeks ago when Stephane Dujarric, spokesman for UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, claimed that the UN was blissfully unaware of the cavernous subterranean military installations Hamas has excavated underneath Gaza over the years. The tunnels are estimated to exceed the length of the London Underground.
1706755882652.jpeg
It’s fair to say that neither Palestinians nor Israelis will know peace until Hamas, Palestinian Islamic Jihad and the other terrorist groupuscules preying upon Israel are utterly smashed. It’s also arguable that UNRWA has been the greater impediment to peace, because it’s entire purpose is to sustain a huge and ever-expanding population of Palestinian refugees in the delusion that one day, the Jewish state of Israel will be destroyed, and they’ll all be free to return to their ancestors’ towns and villages.
1706755922631.jpeg
Generations of Palestinians have been brought up in this delusion. The Palestinian identity forged in UNRWA schools over the years relies upon a mythology of unique victimhood, unforgivable dispossession, the glorification of violence and martyrdom, and the ineradicable wickedness of the Jews. The result: Black September, Fatah, the Palestine Liberation Organization, the Popular Front for the Liberation of Palestine, Hamas, Islamic Jihad, the lot.
The convulsions brought about by the Arab States’ war against the newly independent state of Israel and their refusal to accept the UN’s partition plan resulted in the displacement of about 700,000 Palestinians, while an equal number of Jews were driven from their ancient communities across the Arab World, settling in Israel.
1706756540628.jpeg
Of all these displaced populations, only the Palestinians were relegated to a kind of permanent limbo, ending up in 58 “refugee camps” in Gaza, the West Bank, Lebanon, Syria and Jordan (UNRWA’s jurisdiction is separate from the UN High Commission for Refugees). Apart from Jordan, the Arab states still refuse to grant “Palestinian refugees” permanent status and integrate them into their societies. To do so would be to tacitly admit the Arab states’ loss in the 1940s, Israel’s victory, and the permanence of the Jewish state.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada had already sent $48 million to UNRWA by the time the government paused funding for the contentious UN agency, Global Affairs Canada has confirmed.

And despite attempts by International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen to duck reporters’ questions on the timing of last week’s announcement, that number does include the first $25 million instalment of the $100 million funding boost for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) announced over the summer.

In a statement to the National Post, Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Pierre Cuguen said Canada has so far sent $48.15 million to UNRWA in the 2023 fiscal year.

“This funding includes a $20 million contribution to meet the urgent needs stemming from the crisis in Gaza as a result of the Israel-Hamas conflict, $1.25 million to the flash appeal for West Bank and Gaza, as well as $25 million in line with the disbursement schedule under Canada’s multi-year funding commitment to the UNRWA programs across West Bank and Gaza, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon,” Cuguen said.

The remaining $1.9 million, he said, was allocated to responses in Syria and Lebanon.

“Canada will not retroactively revoke funds that have already been disbursed.

Despite the pause, Ottawa announced an additional $40 million in Gaza funding earlier this week — mostly (???) earmarked for non-UNRWA UN agencies. Mostly?
Mostly?

• Haha
Reactions: Dixie Cup

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Canada had already sent $48 million to UNRWA by the time the government paused funding for the contentious UN agency, Global Affairs Canada has confirmed.

And despite attempts by International Development Minister Ahmed Hussen to duck reporters’ questions on the timing of last week’s announcement, that number does include the first $25 million instalment of the $100 million funding boost for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees (UNRWA) announced over the summer.

In a statement to the National Post, Global Affairs Canada spokesperson Pierre Cuguen said Canada has so far sent $48.15 million to UNRWA in the 2023 fiscal year.

“This funding includes a $20 million contribution to meet the urgent needs stemming from the crisis in Gaza as a result of the Israel-Hamas conflict, $1.25 million to the flash appeal for West Bank and Gaza, as well as $25 million in line with the disbursement schedule under Canada’s multi-year funding commitment to the UNRWA programs across West Bank and Gaza, Jordan, Syria, and Lebanon,” Cuguen said.

The remaining $1.9 million, he said, was allocated to responses in Syria and Lebanon.

“Canada will not retroactively revoke funds that have already been disbursed.

Despite the pause, Ottawa announced an additional $40 million in Gaza funding earlier this week — mostly (???) earmarked for non-UNRWA UN agencies. Mostly?
Mostly?
We're such fools....

Reactions: Retired_Can_Soldier

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
If it weren't so sad, it would almost be funny. If there was ever an example of how utterly corrupt the United Nations has become, this is it. But everyone knows the game is fixed, and if October 6th had not happened, western nations would be buying rockets and weapons with the same amoeba-minded mentality as the morons who rip down posters of Israeli hostages.

I see no other recourse for Israel but to kill every fighter, blow up every tunnel, and actively seek out every leader of this terrorist group and kill them. If they don't, this will be just another cog in the gear that spins perpetual cycle of violence. I will say that the IDF has its hands full; fighting in Gaza is like invading Stalingrad. It is difficult for any military to fight in built-up areas. (FIBUA) Civilians being used as human shields makes that task even harder.

Add a relief organization that bears the United Nations logo not only being accused of weapon smuggling but some of its members being involved in the attack, including abducting a woman from a Kibbutz after the massacre of 97 innocent people. Another was accused of transporting the dead body of an Israeli soldier into Gaza, where it would suffer mutilation by a celebratory crowd.

An IDF soldier's head can reap a reward of USD 10,000, or as Iranians call them, Great Satan Bucks! Better-made money than the martyrs' fund, which is a part of the annual government budget paying families for the sacrifice of their members. If you take out a few Jews, you get more, based on the martyr's body count. This is in the annual budget expense. I'm not kidding.

Part of the UNRWA money goes to this sort of nonsense.

When are people going to wake up?

• Angry

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
If it weren't so sad, it would almost be funny. If there was ever an example of how utterly corrupt the United Nations has become, this is it. But everyone knows the game is fixed, and if October 6th had not happened, western nations would be buying rockets and weapons with the same amoeba-minded mentality as the morons who rip down posters of Israeli hostages.

I see no other recourse for Israel but to kill every fighter, blow up every tunnel, and actively seek out every leader of this terrorist group and kill them. If they don't, this will be just another cog in the gear that spins perpetual cycle of violence. I will say that the IDF has its hands full; fighting in Gaza is like invading Stalingrad. It is difficult for any military to fight in built-up areas. (FIBUA) Civilians being used as human shields makes that task even harder.

Add a relief organization that bears the United Nations logo not only being accused of weapon smuggling but some of its members being involved in the attack, including abducting a woman from a Kibbutz after the massacre of 97 innocent people. Another was accused of transporting the dead body of an Israeli soldier into Gaza, where it would suffer mutilation by a celebratory crowd.

An IDF soldier's head can reap a reward of USD 10,000, or as Iranians call them, Great Satan Bucks! Better-made money than the martyrs' fund, which is a part of the annual government budget paying families for the sacrifice of their members. If you take out a few Jews, you get more, based on the martyr's body count. This is in the annual budget expense. I'm not kidding.

Part of the UNRWA money goes to this sort of nonsense.

When are people going to wake up?
As I've said before, there is corruption in every organization. U.S. Army property has been stolen by its own soldiers and fed to the Klan and suchlike terrorist organizations. Should we shut down the Army for a few thousand bucks worth of stolen weapons? Or do we investigate, find those soldiers, ship 'em off for a long assignment to Fort Leavenworth, and drive on?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
As I've said before, there is corruption in every organization. U.S. Army property has been stolen by its own soldiers and fed to the Klan and suchlike terrorist organizations. Should we shut down the Army for a few thousand bucks worth of stolen weapons? Or do we investigate, find those soldiers, ship 'em off for a long assignment to Fort Leavenworth, and drive on?
How many of those rogue US Army soldiers were involved in a terrorist attack?

This apple is rotten to the core.

Last edited:

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
How many of those rogue US Army soldiers were involved in a terrorist attack?
Define "terrorist attack?" Does January 6 count?

What are you saying? That it must be exactly the same number and exactly the same kind of attack, or do you take my point?

Meh, not that it matters. I get it. You don't like the UN, so you would respond to a mis-print in its annual Christmas card with a call to shut it down.

Sign of the times.

Reactions: Serryah

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Define "terrorist attack?" Does January 6 count?

What are you saying? That it must be exactly the same number and exactly the same kind of attack, or do you take my point?

Meh, not that it matters. I get it. You don't like the UN, so you would respond to a mis-print in its annual Christmas card with a call to shut it down.

Sign of the times.
I'm not going to play a semantic game with you. Tim McVeigh blew up the Federal Building in OK. No need to disband the Marines or was it US Army? UNRWA has always been considered an arm of Hamas. Big difference. And, no, I don't like the UN. I don't know what Xmas misprint you're talking about, but my criticisms fall with their record, which has been dismal in the last couple of decades.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I'm not going to play a semantic game with you. Tim McVeigh blew up the Federal Building in OK. No need to disband the Marines or was it US Army? UNRWA has always been considered an arm of Hamas. Big difference. And, no, I don't like the UN. I don't know what Xmas misprint you're talking about, but my criticisms fall with their record, which has been dismal in the last couple of decades.
The UN has always been a corrupt cesspool , as the lady says “ why do we keep funding this thing “ . I saw Trudeau in the House of Commons the other day accusing the conservatives wanting to withdraw from the UN altogether , as if that is a bad thing .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I see no other recourse for Israel but to kill every fighter, blow up every tunnel, and actively seek out every leader of this terrorist group and kill them. If they don't, this will be just another cog in the gear that spins perpetual cycle of violence.

Good Gods you're a fucking warhack monster.

May people like you die off, and die off quickly.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
McVeigh wasn't a soldier, he was a veteran.

Nice try though.

I'm not interested in word games either. I'm interested in numbers games. What part of UNRWA's budget went to building military-use infrastructure? What percentage of its employees were Ham-ass? Not "OOOooo, terra-rists! Lots and lotsa terra-rists!" What are the numbers

By the way, nice use of the passive voice on "always been considered." By whom? You? Conservative "news" websites? Or something that might approach being a neutral organization with no axe to grind?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Good Gods you're a fucking warhack monster.

May people like you die off, and die off quickly.
When people like me die off, you will be wishing you joined us.
McVeigh wasn't a soldier, he was a veteran.

Nice try though.

I'm not interested in word games either. I'm interested in numbers games. What part of UNRWA's budget went to building military-use infrastructure? What percentage of its employees were Ham-ass? Not "OOOooo, terra-rists! Lots and lotsa terra-rists!" What are the numbers

By the way, nice use of the passive voice on "always been considered." By whom? You? Conservative "news" websites? Or something that might approach being a neutral organization with no axe to grind?
It's a dumb argument, Bones. The Harper government dumped them because they felt they were too closely aligned with Hamas,. Present-day Western Leadership thinks differently. Let the rockets flow, and textbooks encouraging terrorism, and we can argue about percentages and how much they are needed and round and round she goes. If you want to play a numbers game, go play with Ron.

As for Jan 6th being a terrorist act. How the fuck should I know. Your constitution and laws protect a president who incited the Running of the Tards and will be able to pardon himself next year. That's pretty fucked. But, I'm not a Trumper.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
When people like me die off, you will be wishing you joined us.

Why, because you think the world would be worse off?

I'd rather a world have sensible, reasonable people who accept facts, and THEN act - even if it means conflict - not hate driving pieces of crazed lunatics who want war regardless because it fulfills their lack of humanity somehow.

Right now it's still too even to each side.