April Fools!! Here's your Carbon Tax F#ckers!!!

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Just out of curiosity. . . Does anybody give a screaming fuck about the actual issues, or is everything just another stick for the Cons to beat the Libs with, or the Libs the Cons, with the NDP on the sideline whining "We're important too!"?

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
It appears that Justin Trudeau’s carbon tax is so unpopular that other Liberals won’t even say if they support it. Meanwhile, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre continues to ride high in the polls with his promise to axe the tax.
It wasn’t that long ago that in certain political circles a carbon tax was seen as a no-brainer. Now it’s just a loser.
There was a time when we were told you couldn’t win in Canadian politics unless you had a plan to put a price on carbon with a tax, cap-and-trade system or some other scheme. Of course, this was never true, it was just the view of the urban Laurentian Elite who populate much of the media and chattering classes.
Now, even at the federal level, the carbon tax that Trudeau still boasts of is far from popular and Poilievre is holding onto a substantial lead in the polls with his promise to axe the tax. Polling even shows that more people think the tax hurts them financially compared to those who think it benefits them – which is the government’s ongoing false message.
In short, the carbon tax, Trudeau’s signature policy, has become a political loser. Trudeau insisted that provinces and territories can come up with their own pricing scheme “as long as it’s equivalent to what everyone’s doing across the country.”

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Just out of curiosity. . . Does anybody give a screaming fuck about the actual issues, or is everything just another stick for the Cons to beat the Libs with, or the Libs the Cons, with the NDP on the sideline whining "We're important too!"?
I do. I’m here, in Canada, commuting to work everyday, to pay my bills, month after month. Life has gotten a whole lot harder in the last decade.

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I do. I’m here, in Canada, commuting to work everyday, to pay my bills, month after month. Life has gotten a whole lot harder in the last decade.
And you are, I believe, sceptical of the alleged impact of human-caused greenhouse gas release? And even if it proves to be completely true, think unilateral action by one country (other than China) can make much difference. Correct?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And you are, I believe, sceptical of the alleged impact of human-caused greenhouse gas release? And even if it proves to be completely true, think unilateral action by one country (other than China) can make much difference. Correct?
I am sceptical, yes, of human induced global warming, and its overall effect on global climate. Yes, I agree we are pigs and can clean up our act regarding pollution and our garbage, but I’m sceptical of the extent and fear mongering around the subject.

Yes, even if it were true to the extent preached by those who don’t follow their own preaching, Canada alone self flogging its population and economy isn’t going to change anything globally. If it was “really” as bad as preached, & those that preached “really” believed their own words…there are things we could do that we’re not.

We could be exporting natural gas as quickly and in as much volume as humanly possible from North America (both Canada and the US) to the nations that are growing exponentially to turn their coal powered power plants to cleaner burning sources instead of banning plastic straws and forks.

Are we as a species having an effect on the globe? Of course we are are! So are ants and bees. Are we going to turn it into waterworld and melt the polar icecaps? I don’t think so. Are we currently living in an interglacial period in an Ice Age? I believe so. Do humans seem to thrive during the warmer periods of this interglacial? It sure seems like it.

Is the answer for Canada to ban reliable heating, and transportation, while living in a huge lightly populated sub-Arctic nation? I don’t think so. Can we do better? Yes. Should we cut off our nose to spite our face? No.

Should we let market forces, once technology actually exists, provide us with better, cheaper, more reliable, Products and services that makes sense to people who can vote with their wallets? Of course. Should the Justin Trudeau’s & Al Gore’s & Greta Thunberg’s & Leonardo DiCaprio’s dictate our faults to us? Sure, why not? But we don’t have to listen to them, and shouldn’t be legislated to follow their belief system when they don’t follow themselves.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Trudeau can at least claim he tried. He did indeed spend more political capital on climate change than any other prime minister did, to the point where he has precious little left. But spend it is really all he did.

This is a man who has completely refused any opportunity to model even the most basic and rudimentary climate-change behaviour that he demands of everyone else. The (supposed) fact that the prime minister can’t fly commercial doesn’t mean he has to fly across the country for a weekend’s surfing or snowboarding, or to the Caribbean repeatedly every winter.

If Human induced Global Warming/Cooling/Changing was really as severe & impactful as the prophets declare, would one of them be doing the above? Another sailing around the globe in a yacht bigger than my neighbourhood? Another living in a massive mansion with a copper mine in his backyard? Another starting her own stable of vehicles (electric or not, they leave a big carbon footprint for the manufacturer and disposal and use over their lifespan) that only one climate protester can drive one at a time?

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
Even if it is true, it has to be dealt with in a sensible way. You can't just change it overnight like the liberals think you can. The infrastructure for EV is a prime example.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am sceptical, yes, of human induced global warming, and its overall effect on global climate. Yes, I agree we are pigs and can clean up our act regarding pollution and our garbage, but I’m sceptical of the extent and fear mongering around the subject.
OK, we agree on that. I think the globe is warming, but I also think anthropogenic warming is only part of the story. And I've been saying for a long time that the obvious compromise is to go after pollution, which will also decrease greenhouse gas emissions. Pollution is a proven harm.
Yes, even if it were true to the extent preached by those who don’t follow their own preaching, Canada alone self flogging its population and economy isn’t going to change anything globally. If it was “really” as bad as preached, & those that preached “really” believed their own words…there are things we could do that we’re not.
So. . . you just gave them their out. I'm suspicious of the people who say "If you take a jet, you're lying about global warming!" It's a bit like saying "If you don't drive an ultra-low emissions vehicle, you're lying about the dangers of leaded gasoline." AGW, to the extent it exists, must be addressed by systemic change, not by performative rubbish like Thunberg taking a sailboat across the Atlantic (personally, I woulda gone for a replica longship).
We could be exporting natural gas as quickly and in as much volume as humanly possible from North America (both Canada and the US) to the nations that are growing exponentially to turn their coal powered power plants to cleaner burning sources instead of banning plastic straws and forks.
I disagree here. This is not an either/or thing. We can do both.

Are we as a species having an effect on the globe? Of course we are are! So are ants and bees. Are we going to turn it into waterworld and melt the polar icecaps? I don’t think so. Are we currently living in an interglacial period in an Ice Age? I believe so. Do humans seem to thrive during the warmer periods of this interglacial? It sure seems like it.
I would like to think our foresight and ability to change is superior to that of ants and bees.
Is the answer for Canada to ban reliable heating, and transportation, while living in a huge lightly populated sub-Arctic nation? I don’t think so. Can we do better? Yes. Should we cut off our nose to spite our face? No.

Should we let market forces, once technology actually exists, provide us with better, cheaper, more reliable, Products and services that makes sense to people who can vote with their wallets? Of course. Should the Justin Trudeau’s & Al Gore’s & Greta Thunberg’s & Leonardo DiCaprio’s dictate our faults to us? Sure, why not? But we don’t have to listen to them, and shouldn’t be legislated to follow their belief system when they don’t follow themselves.
I agree with all of this, except for the excessive focus on a few lightweight famous heads. And to some extent, Justin Trudeau has earned the right to "dictate your faults." Alone of the four you mention, he is the one duly elected to public office. And you kinda do have to listen to the PM. He is, after all, your head of government. You can disagree with him all you like, but dismissing him is as dumb as listening to Thunberg.

And frankly, that's what I don't get. Who gives a damn what some teenager thinks about AGW? Might as well care about what (fill in boyband of your choice here) thinks about the Russia-Ukraine war.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don’t think we’re far out from each other in our positions, and I pointed the Talking Heads that hypocritically preach, but don’t follow their own scripture…& one of them happens to be our Prime Minister who for Canadians at least isn’t just background noise like Greta & Leonardo, but imposing legislation as a perpetual escalator tax on our nation to his own belief system.

I pointed out the four above as high profile hypocrites on the subject. The fact that we all recognized their names does say something.

Yes, we have the ability and foresight to somewhat control our destiny as opposed to ants and bees, but I used them as an example of species that can change environments globally which they do do, bees with pollination & ants not only cultivators of soil but a basis of a food chain.

Yes, I also agree that human induced climate Changey-ness is only a portion of the picture…& what portion I don’t think anybody actually knows yet, But I suspect it’s less than what we’re being told.

Yes, leaded gas was stable over long periods of time and a great lubricant for engines…but it was horrible for the environment and nasty when you were rebuilding a motor. LA can be seen across now as opposed to 50 years ago.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I don’t think we’re far out from each other in our positions, and I pointed the Talking Heads that hypocritically preach, but don’t follow their own scripture…& one of them happens to be our Prime Minister who for Canadians at least isn’t just background noise like Greta & Leonardo, but imposing legislation as a perpetual escalator tax on our nation to his own belief system.

I pointed out the four above as high profile hypocrites on the subject. The fact that we all recognized their names does say something.

Yes, we have the ability and foresight to somewhat control our destiny as opposed to ants and bees, but I used them as an example of species that can change environments globally which they do do, bees with pollination & ants not only cultivators of soil but a basis of a food chain.

Yes, I also agree that human induced climate Changey-ness is only a portion of the picture…& what portion I don’t think anybody actually knows yet, But I suspect it’s less than what we’re being told.

Yes, leaded gas was stable over long periods of time and a great lubricant for engines…but it was horrible for the environment and nasty when you were rebuilding a motor. LA can be seen across now as opposed to 50 years ago.
I\m just in a mood. I'd like to see more ideas and less bitching about this-or-that semi-famous person's hypocrisy (far outside their specialty).

For example. . . to what extent should taxation be simply "Here's the budget, here's the GDP. Tax everybody that percentage." and to what extent should/could it be intended to modify consumer/citizen behaviour (e.g., luxury taxes on high-end products, taxes on tobacco and alcohol)?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I\m just in a mood. I'd like to see more ideas and less bitching about this-or-that semi-famous person's hypocrisy (far outside their specialty).

For example. . . to what extent should taxation be simply "Here's the budget, here's the GDP. Tax everybody that percentage." and to what extent should/could it be intended to modify consumer/citizen behaviour (e.g., luxury taxes on high-end products, taxes on tobacco and alcohol)?
Up here we’re stuck with what we’ve got ever escalating every April fools day, until approximately Oct 20th 2025.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Back in the 1800’s most of the beaver were trapped out in the Caribou region of B.C. , this caused the area to become more arid and contributed to loss of tree cover . Reintroduction of the beaver reversed the drying trend . Without the beaver this drying would be blamed on climate change .

Reactions: petros