Two years into the Trudeau 2.0 Minority Term, which day will Justin call the election that only he wants?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Here’s a view from the outside looking in:

“I don’t go up there anymore,” Rogan, 56, said. “What they’ve done up there, what they did with the trucker rally and what Trudeau is doing with guns and what they’re trying to clamp down on censorship on the Internet. That guy can eat s***. That place needs 100% an overhaul of government. They’re sliding down that dangerous road of communism. It scares the s*** out of me.”

“What they did with the truckers, for example, the way Trudeau just openly labelled them as racist and misogynist. And then when people were donating to this trucker movement, when they were trying to have this protest, they closed down people’s bank accounts who donated. I mean, that is third world country s***. The fact they think they can do that in Canada is insane.”

(Americans don’t vote in our elections, but they are our only neighbour and our largest training partner)

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Here’s a view from the outside looking in:

“I don’t go up there anymore,” Rogan, 56, said. “What they’ve done up there, what they did with the trucker rally and what Trudeau is doing with guns and what they’re trying to clamp down on censorship on the Internet. That guy can eat s***. That place needs 100% an overhaul of government. They’re sliding down that dangerous road of communism. It scares the s*** out of me.”

“What they did with the truckers, for example, the way Trudeau just openly labelled them as racist and misogynist. And then when people were donating to this trucker movement, when they were trying to have this protest, they closed down people’s bank accounts who donated. I mean, that is third world country s***. The fact they think they can do that in Canada is insane.”

(Americans don’t vote in our elections, but they are our only neighbour and our largest training partner)
Watched that clip too. Its a global sentiment. Our image is shit.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OTTAWA - The new federal dental insurance plan will be phased in gradually over 2024, with the first claims likely to be processed in May, government officials said ahead of a formal announcement scheduled for Monday morning.

Applications are expected to open as early as next week, starting with qualifying seniors over the age of 87, but it will take months before they can start to claim the benefits, the officials said in a briefing provided to The Canadian Press on the condition they not be named.

The insurance plan is a condition of the Liberals' supply-and-confidence deal with the New Democrats to secure the opposition party's support on key votes.

The deal calls for a plan that would offer dental benefits directly to low- and middle-income Canadians without private insurance.

Eligibility will gradually expand over the course of the year to include all “qualifying” seniors over the age of 65 by May 2024, then children under the age of 18 and people with disabilities by June.

The first people to enrol in the program are expected to be able to start claiming dental services in May.

The government aims to make the program available to all “qualifying” Canadians in 2025.

To qualify, applicants must be Canadian residents with a household income under $90,000 and “no private insurance.” Those with an annual family income under $70,000 will have “no co-pays.”

The services offered, including preventive teeth cleanings, treatments and removable dentures, will closely reflect the services already offered to registered First Nations and Inuit people under the Non-Insured Health Benefits Program. Dental cosmetic procedures will not be covered.
1702298156071.jpeg
Appears the Liberals have trended up somewhere (the little arrow above points up) & the NDP have trended down…
1702298818538.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
OTTAWA - The new federal dental insurance plan will be phased in gradually over 2024, with the first claims likely to be processed in May, government officials said ahead of a formal announcement scheduled for Monday morning.

Applications are expected to open as early as next week, starting with qualifying seniors over the age of 87, but it will take months before they can start to claim the benefits, the officials said in a briefing provided to The Canadian Press on the condition they not be named.

The insurance plan is a condition of the Liberals' supply-and-confidence deal with the New Democrats to secure the opposition party's support on key votes.

The deal calls for a plan that would offer dental benefits directly to low- and middle-income Canadians without private insurance.

Eligibility will gradually expand over the course of the year to include all “qualifying” seniors over the age of 65 by May 2024, then children under the age of 18 and people with disabilities by June.

The first people to enrol in the program are expected to be able to start claiming dental services in May.

The government aims to make the program available to all “qualifying” Canadians in 2025.

To qualify, applicants must be Canadian residents with a household income under $90,000 and “no private insurance.” Those with an annual family income under $70,000 will have “no co-pays.”

The services offered, including preventive teeth cleanings, treatments and removable dentures, will closely reflect the services already offered to registered First Nations and Inuit people under the Non-Insured Health Benefits Program. Dental cosmetic procedures will not be covered.
View attachment 20338
Appears the Liberals have trended up somewhere (the little arrow above points up) & the NDP have trended down…
View attachment 20339
If you have a toothache today.....

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
…& you qualify (Canadian residents with a household income under $90,000 and “no private insurance.” Those with an annual family income under $70,000 will have “no co-pays.”), etc…
We are both taking draws off the company and keep ourselves under the threshold. Even if we need something we"ll still finance rather than buy outright.

But...I dont want bottom of the line denistry which is patch with resin not rebuild with ceramics. Insurance is worth every penny.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Huh….how about that. S’toon Star Phoenix. In an alternate reality, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is breathing easier about the apparent flight of supporters from his Liberals to the federal Conservatives.

In that universe, Trudeau kept what might be the boldest campaign promise in Canadian history: his pledge that the 2015 election would be the last under Canada’s first-past-the-post system.

Instead, Trudeau broke his promise on electoral reform with the dubious excuse that a consensus was lacking. Oh well…
1702665112994.jpeg
Political polls, most of which are now conducted using online panellists instead of the traditional phone calls, suggest the Conservatives have grabbed a healthy lead on the Liberals.

The poll aggregator 338canada.com on Sunday showed the Conservatives at 40 per cent, the Liberals at 25 per cent and the NDP at 20 per cent. Seven per cent of poll respondents backed the Bloc Quebecois, followed by the Green Party at five per cent.

You can see the basic problem with our current system in these potential results, since 40 per cent of voters could deliver nearly 60 per cent of the seats to the Conservatives. A similar vote share won Trudeau his 2015 majority.

Under a different system, however, we could obviously expect different results.

Imagine if Canada had adopted a proportional representation system where the number of seats for a given party more closely reflected the popular vote.
So the case for reforming our democracy is compelling. But when the parliamentary committee tasked with kickstarting the process of implementing the federal Liberals’ 2015 campaign promise veered into territory Trudeau disliked, it ended potentially the most impactful change ever to Canada’s democracy.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
…& you qualify (Canadian residents with a household income under $90,000 and “no private insurance.” Those with an annual family income under $70,000 will have “no co-pays.”), etc…
This whole private insurance thing bothers me. We pay a premium off our paycheques for dental coverage. Now will we be paying that and taxes for someone else to get free dental work?

• Wow

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Huh….how about that. S’toon Star Phoenix. In an alternate reality, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is breathing easier about the apparent flight of supporters from his Liberals to the federal Conservatives.

In that universe, Trudeau kept what might be the boldest campaign promise in Canadian history: his pledge that the 2015 election would be the last under Canada’s first-past-the-post system.

Instead, Trudeau broke his promise on electoral reform with the dubious excuse that a consensus was lacking. Oh well…
View attachment 20382
Political polls, most of which are now conducted using online panellists instead of the traditional phone calls, suggest the Conservatives have grabbed a healthy lead on the Liberals.

The poll aggregator 338canada.com on Sunday showed the Conservatives at 40 per cent, the Liberals at 25 per cent and the NDP at 20 per cent. Seven per cent of poll respondents backed the Bloc Quebecois, followed by the Green Party at five per cent.

You can see the basic problem with our current system in these potential results, since 40 per cent of voters could deliver nearly 60 per cent of the seats to the Conservatives. A similar vote share won Trudeau his 2015 majority.

Under a different system, however, we could obviously expect different results.

Imagine if Canada had adopted a proportional representation system where the number of seats for a given party more closely reflected the popular vote.
So the case for reforming our democracy is compelling. But when the parliamentary committee tasked with kickstarting the process of implementing the federal Liberals’ 2015 campaign promise veered into territory Trudeau disliked, it ended potentially the most impactful change ever to Canada’s democracy.
With either system the west gets outvoted. I was somewhat involved when B.C. went down this rabbit hole two decades ago. The system presented to the citizens to vote yea or nay on was called Single Transferable Vote. Got voted down both times. Two main problems. There was not local representation. Too much power was given to parties. That would prevent independent candidates from having even a remote chance.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
With either system the west gets outvoted. I was somewhat involved when B.C. went down this rabbit hole two decades ago. The system presented to the citizens to vote yea or nay on was called Single Transferable Vote. Got voted down both times. Two main problems. There was not local representation. Too much power was given to parties. That would prevent independent candidates from having even a remote chance.
I just find it ironic that this was one of his driving camping promises in 2015 because it was 2015-ish…& then it never came to fruition, and again it never did in the next two elections…& in all of them the Conservatives had the popular vote (more Canadians voted for Conservatives than Liberals). Conservatives had more votes, but Liberals won more seats in the last three elections….
1702739806546.jpeg
Now that we’re seeing what we’re seeing, will the Liberal/NDP’s decide that there is a consensus and push through proportional representation knowing they can’t win again even as a coalition….or a non-coalition coalition, etc…to maintain flushing Canada down the Liberal/NDP toilet?
1702739849403.jpeg
As (at least at this point) with proportional representation, & a formal or informal coalition (or non-coalition coalition that’s definitely not a coalition type coalition), combined….the NDP & Liberals might have more votes… because with the current system, even as a coalition (or whatever they decide to call it), it doesn’t look like they have a hope in Hell.
1702755300090.jpeg

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
People have been talking for years about a separate Western party similar to how the Bloc votes on behalf of Quebec. Another election looming and nothing again. Some say we get what we deserve.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
People have been talking for years about a separate Western party similar to how the Bloc votes on behalf of Quebec. Another election looming and nothing again. Some say we get what we deserve.
We deserve what we vote for. Fact is there are far too many people living in the West that are not from here. Hopefully their offspring will be a bit smarter.
pretty sure where I live the people born on the coast are in the minority.

• Wow

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A decade after she was first elected, Canada's Deputy Prime Minister and Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland says she plans to run again in the next federal election, while sidestepping the question of whether she's eyeing Prime Minister Justin Trudeau's job.
1702925254083.jpeg
Freeland said she was focused "first and foremost on supporting Canadians," after earlier in the interview discussing the range of promised affordability-focused measures from the fall economic statement that will take some time to roll out.

Trudeau has repeatedly re-emphasised in recent interviews, and when asked on Parliament Hill, that he intends to stay on and lead the party the next federal election—currently scheduled for October 2025—despite some internal grumbling about his continued leadership after eight years.

Still, Freeland said she "absolutely" thinks the current minority Liberals can win the next election with Trudeau leading the charge.
1702925446821.jpeg

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I sometimes wonder why we even bother voting because the politicians don't listen to us anyway. But I can't help myself - I feel strongly about voting because it's my civic duty to do so. I have a buddy who has never voted for that exact reason. When I try to convince him that he should vote otherwise he has no reason to complain, he says he simply doesn't care. I do so I vote, not that it does any good but there's always hope. Once hope is lost, we are done!

Reactions: Ron in Regina