The President of Harvard resigns amid allegations of plagiarism and antisemitism

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
The entire situation is coming from the stupid moment a senator proposed a question that the answer was not the simple 'yes or no' she wanted. It was a 'got'cha' moment that she wanted.

And people didn't like that Gay - and the others with her - said as much.

Depending on who you are, 'healing' won't happen at all at that or any other school. Because the Western view on the issue is based on anything and everything but the reality of and to the complexities of the situation.
I have to disagree with this. It wasn't a complicated question. It's like the Toronto cops running coffee to Palestinian Protesters who got separated on their way to Jewish neighborhoods to intimidate. It's double standard.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I have to disagree with this. It wasn't a complicated question. It's like the Toronto cops running coffee to Palestinian Protesters who got separated on their way to Jewish neighborhoods to intimidate. It's double standard.

Unless you are for picking what is free speech and what isn't yes, this was complicated and a gotcha question. There's a lot of ways this can be explained as a got'cha question, but you won't even bother with that. (like the fact that this didn't happen, that if students were protesting and calling for the 'genocide' of Palestinians, that question wouldn't even be asked...)

Personally, while I DO feel it would violate the policy, I also get that being Canadian, our speech is monitored and stuff like that would be bordering hate speech.

But we're not talking Canada, we're talking the US.

Where I've had Americans repeatedly tell me that they would rather people say what ever they want so they know what people think/feel, than to have speech, even hate speech, sat on and not said at all.

Reactions: Retired_Can_Soldier

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Unless you are for picking what is free speech and what isn't yes, this was complicated and a gotcha question. There's a lot of ways this can be explained as a got'cha question, but you won't even bother with that. (like the fact that this didn't happen, that if students were protesting and calling for the 'genocide' of Palestinians, that question wouldn't even be asked...)

Personally, while I DO feel it would violate the policy, I also get that being Canadian, our speech is monitored and stuff like that would be bordering hate speech.

But we're not talking Canada, we're talking the US.

Where I've had Americans repeatedly tell me that they would rather people say what ever they want so they know what people think/feel, than to have speech, even hate speech, sat on and not said at all.
Protesting is is not threatening people or shooting Jewish schools or going into neighborhoods where Jews live and threatening them there. We are trying people for less over the "Freedom Convoy," in which we froze bank accounts, and held some without bail, and are wasting millions of dollars in the courts on what are essentially, nuisance charges.

We have a big problem here, and we better start taking it seriously, because that fucked up ideology over there is already here, and is manifested in intimidation and violence. If we don't take it serious people here are going to die. What happened in Harvard was intimidation and violence threatened against Jews in many major learning institutions, Harvard wasn't the only one. Penn State. MIT. U of T, pick a college. The leadership looked the other way, while Jews were threatened not only by Muslims but brainless students who get their news from Facebook Reels and TikTok.

I'm all about free speech as long as it does not couple itself to or insight violence.

The Palestinian protesters are already using violence and intimidation.

Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
There are more of us ( normal people ) and eventually something will give . The video of the man in New York trying to pick up his daughter is a prime example , as he forced his car through the protesters you could hear cries of run them over coming from the other blocked motorists . Soon more and more are going to follow this example and it won’t be pretty .

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
There are more of us ( normal people ) and eventually something will give . The video of the man in New York trying to pick up his daughter is a prime example , as he forced his car through the protesters you could hear cries of run them over coming from the other blocked motorists . Soon more and more are going to follow this example and it won’t be pretty .
Used fire trucks can be bought fairly cheap at city surplus auctions.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Protesting is is not threatening people or shooting Jewish schools or going into neighborhoods where Jews live and threatening them there.

Well since the question - the original question proposed by Sen. Stefanik - was only hypothetical since no one had, at that point, been calling for the genocide of Jews on college campuses, and what we're discussing here, again, it's depending on context.

Those who went to Jewish schools and threatened them, or shot them up, or went into Jewish neighbourhoods, and those who did the same to Arab/Palestinian schools and neighbourhoods CROSSED the line of free speech and protesting. But that's a different situation all together, as those did not take place on college campuses, which was the focus at the time

We are trying people for less over the "Freedom Convoy," in which we froze bank accounts, and held some without bail, and are wasting millions of dollars in the courts on what are essentially, nuisance charges.

Had nothing to do with this question/situation, so...

We have a big problem here, and we better start taking it seriously, because that fucked up ideology over there is already here, and is manifested in intimidation and violence.

Yes, it has happened here. Been happening here for years. Are you just realizing that the culture of insanity in the US is in Canada?

If we don't take it serious people here are going to die.

Again, you're just realizing this?

What happened in Harvard was intimidation and violence threatened against Jews

And what about intimidation and violence threatened against Palestinians?

in many major learning institutions, Harvard wasn't the only one. Penn State. MIT. U of T, pick a college. The leadership looked the other way, while Jews were threatened not only by Muslims but brainless students who get their news from Facebook Reels and TikTok.

Again, swap out Jews for Palestinians.

I will agree that shit is happening by brainless students who don't get the situation what so ever and don't understand the context of what's going on in Israel and Gaza. And a lot of the fault lies with the schools who should have recognized this would be an issue, and opened up classes and forums to properly discuss things from both sides.

I'm all about free speech as long as it does not couple itself to or insight violence.

Same; calling for the end of the war in Gaza, holding Israel's Government in account for Genocide and holding Hamas in account for terrorist acts does not violence make.

What makes the violence are those that use these moments to push their anti-whatever agenda, whether it's anti-Jewish or anti-Arab/Palestinian.

The Palestinian protesters are already using violence and intimidation.

Some are, because stupid happens in all groups.

Just as some Jewish protesters are already using the same.

If the Senator had been actually truthful in trying to present there were issues with the policies to the schools, she SHOULD have asked if calling for the genocide of ANY group violates the policies.

Not just Jews.

Not just Palestinians.

But it's funny that these same people who are oh so supportive of Israel right now, will also support the free speech of groups like the ones who shouted a few years ago "Jews Will Not Replace Us!" and who are all for Nazi's being out and supporting THEIR campaigns.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Well since the question - the original question proposed by Sen. Stefanik - was only hypothetical since no one had, at that point, been calling for the genocide of Jews on college campuses, and what we're discussing here, again, it's depending on context.

It wasn't hypothetical. It happened. Have you not seen any of the student shot video?

Those who went to Jewish schools and threatened them, or shot them up, or went into Jewish neighbourhoods, and those who did the same to Arab/Palestinian schools and neighbourhoods CROSSED the line of free speech and protesting. But that's a different situation all together, as those did not take place on college campuses, which was the focus at the time.
They shot up Jewish elementary schools in Montreal.

Had nothing to do with this question/situation, so...
Has everything to do with the question.

Yes, it has happened here. Been happening here for years. Are you just realizing that the culture of insanity in the US is in Canada?

Sorry, I've been away, but it hasn't been happening on this level. And by the way, I'm trying to be respectful.

Again, you're just realizing this?

So, could we keep it less cunty?

And what about intimidation and violence threatened against Palestinians?
Who in Canada was intimidating Palestinians? Who is shooting up their mosques or marching in their neighborhoods like brown shirts?

Again, swap out Jews for Palestinians.
Okay, I'll give it a shot. Jews blow themselves up in market? Jews cut off heads and rape women as a form of warfare? Sorry, I tried, it doesn't work, they don''t do that. They also don't throw gays off rooftops or hang them from cranes. Please cc to: QueersforPalestine
I will agree that shit is happening by brainless students who don't get the situation what so ever and don't understand the context of what's going on in Israel and Gaza. And a lot of the fault lies with the schools who should have recognized this would be an issue, and opened up classes and forums to properly discuss things from both sides.

The only thing that Israel can do is lay down and take it. And still the Palestinians and Hamas or whatever zealot is in charge next next will play victim. And someone will carry that banner.

Same; calling for the end of the war in Gaza, holding Israel's Government in account for Genocide and holding Hamas in account for terrorist acts does not violence make.
River to the sea. The Palestinians want it all. No Israel in that equation. They are clear. That is why they attacked Israel. It should be a mathematical equation or formula. (Stage terror attack+use own people as human shields+cry victim) Definitely a formula. They sort of lost me when they drove nails into a woman face, burned children to death in their hiding places and raped woman and even some kids. I don't want to be on the side of using a dead German girls body like a serial killers trophy dragging her naked body through the streets to be spat upon.

What makes the violence are those that use these moments to push their anti-whatever agenda, whether it's anti-Jewish or anti-Arab/Palestinian.
It's being used effectively in Canada by Palestinians and their supporters.

Some are, because stupid happens in all groups.
Terrorism begins in

Just as some Jewish protesters are already using the same.
Disagree.

If the Senator had been actually truthful in trying to present there were issues with the policies to the schools, she SHOULD have asked if calling for the genocide of ANY group violates the policies.
Zero tolerance for hate and bullying is zero tolerance, except when it came to bullying Jews.

Not just Jews.

Not just Palestinians.
Moot point after what I just said.

But it's funny that these same people who are oh so supportive of Israel right now, will also support the free speech of groups like the ones who shouted a few years ago "Jews Will Not Replace Us!" and who are all for Nazi's being out and supporting THEIR campaigns.

I don't even know what to say about the above. The devil is in the details. We know the horror of rape and murder was orchestrated against the Jews, that was the fuse that has blown the middle east up again. To use your talk of Nazis. The Nazis were the architects of the final solution and they sought world domination. We fought them because we did not subscribe to their ideology. You know the story. There were Germans who were wonderful people caught under the boot of a dictator. But when we defended ourselves against German aggression, our people had to pick a side.

Call me old fashioned but I'm picking a side, and I'm rooting for the Jews.
Go King David Go!

I think I've said all I'm going to say on this.

Cheers

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Dude you gotta throw yourself on the gears and levers of White Judeo-Christian colonizing machine for the goodness of humanity or your just a big ol islamophobe meanie!

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
It wasn't hypothetical. It happened. Have you not seen any of the student shot video?

It was.

"But they also didn’t communicate what they needed to at a moment of heightened tensions. Their first mistake was failing to challenge the assumption inherent in Stefanik’s question: that their students have already unambiguously called for genocide. Vox spoke with multiple scholars at their schools (and others) who have studied antisemitism and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict; all cast doubt on the idea that students have made any genocidal statements. And though there have been a number of instances in which controversial statements have been used on campuses, accounts of explicit calls for genocide have yet to emerge. Knowing that their words would be broadcast across the world, the university presidents might have also done more to empathize with the concerns of Jewish students amid a very real global outpouring of antisemitism."

Considering that, the question was hypothetical and handled piss-poorly by the presidents at the hearing.

Now if you want to talk what happened in Canada...

I think I've said all I'm going to say on this.

Cheers

Fair enough.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Let's flip it. If Half-Assed University forbids students from "threatening or bullying other students based on their race, sex, gender, ethnicity, or national origin," would advocating mass relocation of the Gazan Palestinians to the West Bank (which is forbidden by the Genocide Convention) be grounds for expelling the advocate for "threatening or bullying?"

Reactions: Serryah

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Plagiarism probe finds some problems with ex-Harvard president Gay’s work
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Michael Casey
Published Jan 22, 2024 • 2 minute read

BOSTON — Harvard University has shed fresh light on the ongoing investigation into plagiarism accusations against former president Claudine Gay, including that an independent body recommended a broader review after substantiating some of the complaints.

In a letter Friday to a congressional committee, Harvard said it learned of the plagiarism allegations against its first Black female president on Oct. 24 from a New York Post reporter. The school reached out to several authors whom Gay is accused of plagiarizing and none objected to her language, it said.

Harvard then appointed the independent body, which focused on two of Gay’s articles published in 2012 and 2017. It concluded they “are both sophisticated and original,” and found “virtually no evidence of intentional claiming of findings” that were not her own.

The panel, however, concluded that nine of 25 allegations found by the Post were “of principal concern” and featured “paraphrased or reproduced the language of others without quotation marks and without sufficient and clear crediting of sources.” It also found one instance where “fragments of duplicative language and paraphrasing” by Gay could be interpreted as her taking credit for another academic’s work, though there isn’t any evidence that was her aim.

It also found that a third paper, written by Gay during her first year in graduate school, contained “identical language to that previously published by others.”

Those findings prompted a broader review of her work by a Harvard subcommittee, which eventually led Gay to make corrections to the 2012 article as well as a 2001 article that surfaced in the broader review. The subcommittee presented its findings Dec. 9 to the Harvard Corporation, Harvard’s governing board, concluding that Gay’s “conduct was not reckless nor intentional and, therefore, did not constitute research misconduct.”

Gay’s academic career first came under the scrutiny following her congressional testimony about antisemitism on campus. Gay, Liz Magill of the University of Pennsylvania and MIT’s president, Sally Kornbluth, came under criticism for their lawyerly answers to New York Rep. Elise Stefanik, who asked whether “calling for the genocide of Jews” would violate the colleges’ codes of conduct.

The three presidents had been called before the Republican-led House Committee on Education and the Workforce to answer accusations that universities were failing to protect Jewish students amid rising fears of antisemitism worldwide and the fallout from Israel’s intensifying war in Gaza.

Gay said it depended on the context, adding that when “speech crosses into conduct, that violates our policies.” The answer faced swift backlash from Republican and some Democratic lawmakers, as well as the White House.

The House committee announced days later that it would investigate the policies and disciplinary procedures at Harvard, MIT and Penn.

The corporation initially rallied behind Gay, saying a review of her scholarly work turned up “a few instances of inadequate citation” but no evidence of research misconduct. The allegations of plagiarism continued to surface through December and Gay resigned this month.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Harvard diversity chief accused of plagiarism
Claims come weeks after school president resigns over similar concerns

Author of the article:postmedia News
Published Jan 31, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read

The chief diversity and inclusion officer at Harvard University has been accused of plagiarism — just weeks after Harvard’s president resigned amid similar accusations.

Sherri Ann Charleston was hit with dozens of accusations. One anonymous complaint on Monday listed at least 40 examples of alleged plagiarism dating to 2009, a decade before she joined the Ivy League school, the Washington Free Beacon reported.

The allegations, which include failing to properly cite other scholars’ work and not referencing them in footnotes, came after former Harvard president Claudine Gay resigned following a scandal over charges she plagiarized work and over her handling of anti-Semitism on campus.

Charleston allegedly quoted or paraphrased a dozen scholars without adequate attribution in her 2009 dissertation at the University of Michigan, according to the Beacon, which conducted its own analysis of the complaint.

Charleston also allegedly took credit for a study that her husband, LaVar Charleston, wrote in 2012. He is currently the University of Wisconsin-Madison’s deputy vice-chancellor for diversity and inclusion.

According to the complaint, that alleged instance of plagiarism happened after Charleston rehashed large parts of her husband’s peer-reviewed article they co-authored in 2014.

Published in the scholarly periodical, Journal of Negro Education, the 2014 article included the same findings, method and survey subject descriptions included in Charleston’s husband’s original paper, the complaint alleged.

“You cannot just republish an old paper as if it is a new paper,” Lee Jussim, a social psychologist at Rutgers University, told the outlet. “If you do, that is not exactly plagiarism; it’s more like fraud.”

Charleston didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment from the New York Post. Harvard officials, likewise, did not respond to a request for comment.

The complaint was reportedly also filed with the University of Michigan and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.

Charleston, a historian, became Harvard’s first chief diversity officer in late 2020 after holding a similar role at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.