The President of Harvard resigns amid allegations of plagiarism and antisemitism

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
US media outlets have unearthed several instances of alleged plagiarism in her academic record. Harvard's board investigated the allegations last month, and found two published papers that required additional citation.

Harvard University's president has resigned after facing allegations of plagiarism and criticism over her comments about antisemitism on campus.

Claudine Gay had faced mounting pressure to step down in recent weeks.

In a letter announcing her resignation, she said it was in the "best interests" of the university for her to step down.

"It has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigour," she said.

"This is not a decision I came to easily. Indeed, it has been difficult beyond words," Dr Gay wrote, adding that her resignation would allow Harvard to "focus on the institution rather than any individual."

She said she had been subjected to personal threats and "racial animus".

The 53-year-old served as president for six months and was the first black person, and only the second woman, to be appointed to lead the Ivy League university. Her tenure was the shortest in its 388-year history.

Harvard is one of several universities in the US accused of failing to protect its Jewish students following the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war in October. Jewish groups have reported an alarming rise in antisemitic incidents in the US since the conflict began.

During a tense congressional hearing last month, Dr Gay said calls for the killing of Jews were abhorrent. She added, however, that it would depend on the context whether such comments would constitute a violation of Harvard's code of conduct regarding bullying and harassment.

That comment prompted a widespread backlash and she later apologised in an interview with the university's student newspaper. "When words amplify distress and pain, I don't know how you could feel anything but regret," Dr Gay said.

Read more

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Harvard University's president has resigned after facing allegations of plagiarism and criticism over her comments about antisemitism on campus.

Claudine Gay had faced mounting pressure to step down in recent weeks.

In a letter announcing her resignation, she said it was in the "best interests" of the university for her to step down.

"It has been distressing to have doubt cast on my commitments to confronting hate and to upholding scholarly rigour," she said.

"This is not a decision I came to easily. Indeed, it has been difficult beyond words," Dr Gay wrote, adding that her resignation would allow Harvard to "focus on the institution rather than any individual."

She said she had been subjected to personal threats and "racial animus".

The 53-year-old served as president for six months and was the first black person, and only the second woman, to be appointed to lead the Ivy League university. Her tenure was the shortest in its 388-year history.

Harvard is one of several universities in the US accused of failing to protect its Jewish students following the outbreak of the Israel-Hamas war in October. Jewish groups have reported an alarming rise in antisemitic incidents in the US since the conflict began.

During a tense congressional hearing last month, Dr Gay said calls for the killing of Jews were abhorrent. She added, however, that it would depend on the context whether such comments would constitute a violation of Harvard's code of conduct regarding bullying and harassment.

That comment prompted a widespread backlash and she later apologised in an interview with the university's student newspaper. "When words amplify distress and pain, I don't know how you could feel anything but regret," Dr Gay said.

Read more
gay looks gay. 🌈 🏳️‍🌈 ;)

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Decision to let Harvard's disgraced prez stay on as faculty called 'absurd'
Gay's main critic and some students aren't impressed

Author of the article:Jane Stevenson
Published Jan 03, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read

Former Harvard University president Claudine Gay, who resigned Tuesday amid accusations of plagiarism and criticism for failing to battle anti-Semitism at the university, will remain on the prestigious school’s faculty, says the New York Post.

The political science professor will also likely retain an annual salary of nearly $900,000 when she assumes an undetermined new position. It’s also unclear how much of her presidential salary — about $1 million — she’ll be able to keep, reported the Post.

Records at the Cambridge, Mass., university show she earned $879,079 as a faculty of arts and sciences dean in 2021 and $824,068 in 2020.

Harvard grad and House GOP Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik, who was Gay’s chief critic, blasted the decision to let her remain on staff.

“She’s not fit to be a faculty member,” Stefanik told the Post. “It’s unacceptable when you have students at Harvard who would be expelled for plagiarism to allow a faculty member who has nearly 50 examples of plagiarism in their very slim body of academic work. It’s absurd and everybody knows it. Harvard knows it, too.”

A Harvard’s student Honor Council member also criticized administrators for having different standards for faculty and students.

“Gay’s getting off easy,” the anonymous student told the Harvard Crimson, adding simple mistakes by students can end in one term of probation and the removal of a student’s “good standing” status.

Alan Garber, who currently serves as Harvard’s provost and chief academic officer, will serve as interim president until a new one is chosen.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Decision to let Harvard's disgraced prez stay on as faculty called 'absurd'
Gay's main critic and some students aren't impressed

Author of the article:Jane Stevenson
Published Jan 03, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read

Former Harvard University president Claudine Gay, who resigned Tuesday amid accusations of plagiarism and criticism for failing to battle anti-Semitism at the university, will remain on the prestigious school’s faculty, says the New York Post.

The political science professor will also likely retain an annual salary of nearly $900,000 when she assumes an undetermined new position. It’s also unclear how much of her presidential salary — about $1 million — she’ll be able to keep, reported the Post.

Records at the Cambridge, Mass., university show she earned $879,079 as a faculty of arts and sciences dean in 2021 and $824,068 in 2020.

Harvard grad and House GOP Conference Chairwoman Elise Stefanik, who was Gay’s chief critic, blasted the decision to let her remain on staff.

“She’s not fit to be a faculty member,” Stefanik told the Post. “It’s unacceptable when you have students at Harvard who would be expelled for plagiarism to allow a faculty member who has nearly 50 examples of plagiarism in their very slim body of academic work. It’s absurd and everybody knows it. Harvard knows it, too.”

A Harvard’s student Honor Council member also criticized administrators for having different standards for faculty and students.

“Gay’s getting off easy,” the anonymous student told the Harvard Crimson, adding simple mistakes by students can end in one term of probation and the removal of a student’s “good standing” status.

Alan Garber, who currently serves as Harvard’s provost and chief academic officer, will serve as interim president until a new one is chosen.
Well, I guess the humbling is over.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Well, I guess the humbling is over.
Yep. President is discretionary, but tenure is a matter of contract, and can only be revoked under specific circumstances. Takes more'n a Peloton instructor in Congress screaming about Jewish Space Lasers.

I'd think self-proclaimed conservatives would value private contracts, but I guess not.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep. President is discretionary, but tenure is a matter of contract, and can only be revoked under specific circumstances. Takes more'n a Peloton instructor in Congress screaming about Jewish Space Lasers.

I'd think self-proclaimed conservatives would value private contracts, but I guess not.
Are you high? Plagiarism thumps the snot out of the "Habilitation" aspect of obtaining a post grad accreditation.

"Habilitation" serves as evidence of an individual's capability of researching independently and of teaching in a certain subject area.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Gez, in my English class in college, the first thing that was mentioned was that any plagiarism was grounds for being expelled. With the price of tuition, why would anyone do it & risk being expelled? So students are held to a higher ground than academics. Huh!!

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Gez, in my English class in college, the first thing that was mentioned was that any plagiarism was grounds for being expelled. With the price of tuition, why would anyone do it & risk being expelled? So students are held to a higher ground than academics. Huh!!
See "habilitation".

Habilitation is usually awarded 5–15 years after a PhD degree or its equivalent. Although in some countries Doctor of Sciences degree correlates with a position of Docent (i.e. Associate Professor), it is closer in practice to the position of a Full Professor in the USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Habilitation - Wikipedia

Attachments

• 1704555971583.png
    1704555971583.png
    215 bytes · Views: 0

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
See "habilitation".

Habilitation is usually awarded 5–15 years after a PhD degree or its equivalent. Although in some countries Doctor of Sciences degree correlates with a position of Docent (i.e. Associate Professor), it is closer in practice to the position of a Full Professor in the USA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org › wiki

Habilitation - Wikipedia

"The doctorate attests to the ability to conduct scientific research independently. The habilitation attests to specific abilities to conduct independent research and teaching." She's obviously out of her league & isn't suitable for her job if she can't define what a woman is.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
"The doctorate attests to the ability to conduct scientific research independently. The habilitation attests to specific abilities to conduct independent research and teaching." She's obviously out of her league & isn't suitable for her job if she can't define what a woman is.
Plagiarism isnt exactly "independent research" is it?

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Oh come on. Jewish space lasers. She and her faculty were looking the other way while Jewish students were targeted with hate and bullying.
I don't give a shit about her tenure. I have no say. But her letter about taking the focus off herself so the school could heal, was nothing but hot air.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Oh come on. Jewish space lasers.
I can't think of any more eloquent piece of evidence that Representative Greene is a fucking idiot, as are her voters.
She and her faculty were looking the other way while Jewish students were targeted with hate and bullying.
Which has fuck-all to do with her contract as a tenured professor at Harvard.
I don't give a shit about her tenure. I have no say. But her letter about taking the focus off herself so the school could heal, was nothing but hot air.
And she's no longer president. You would have preferred Soviet-style confession, perhaps?

Besides, bullying is a grand Harvard tradition. Did you know that Boston College's law school was established specifically because Harvard refused to accept a BC undergraduate degree as fulfilling its requirement for an undergrad degree?

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
Oh come on. Jewish space lasers. She and her faculty were looking the other way while Jewish students were targeted with hate and bullying.

To be fair, they looked the other way when their Arab/Muslim students were also the target of hate and bullying.

The entire situation is coming from the stupid moment a senator proposed a question that the answer was not the simple 'yes or no' she wanted. It was a 'got'cha' moment that she wanted.

And people didn't like that Gay - and the others with her - said as much.

Depending on who you are, 'healing' won't happen at all at that or any other school. Because the Western view on the issue is based on anything and everything but the reality of and to the complexities of the situation.