Sitting in the dark…wishing I had a cup of hot coffee…

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Been pondering going to the ND State Fair or Norsk Hostfest
Think my sister ended up at Norsk Hostfest by accident years ago. Went to bed and things were normal, but got up to drunken fools with Viking helmets in their hotel. Thought it was the beginning of a bizarre convention and got the Hell out’a Dodge…or maybe it was Minot.😉

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Think my sister ended up at Norsk Hostfest by accident years ago. Went to bed and things were normal, but got up to drunken fools with Viking helmets in their hotel. Thought it was the beginning of a bizarre convention and got the Hell out’a Dodge…or maybe it was Minot.😉
There is big name entertainment and local legends like Otto Bilhovde.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
well, ya had to go and mention Minot...
and since I mentioned St. Cloud Minnesota looked like a great place to retire, back in the English Bay thread...

more of what y'all never needed to know about li'l ol' me:

51 years ago, July? meh, coulda been August '72, the night before I'd pitched my pup-tent well off to the side of the highway just outside of St. Cloud. Woke up at dawn and much to my delight I was next to an apple orchard - breakfast! The apples were ripe so I guess it was August. So I had a couple and took a couple in my backpack. So there I am, 17, long-haired freak in an army fatigue coat, with guitar in case with a McGovern sticker on it, (found out these states were democrat so figured the sticker wouldn't hurt my chances for catching a ride - musta worked!), a sheathed hunting knife in clear view on my hip. I got a short ride or two before I was picked up by a band in a van! I wish I could recall their name, but I think they were from somewhere in Illinois, maybe near Chicago, doesn't matter. They were a CCR cover band going to do a gig at the town hall in Minot, ND. "do you want to go?"

"hell yeah!"

They were pretty darn good too!

Anyway, short story long...

After the show they were packing up and heading back from whence they came, and well, I wasn't. I was heading north to get back into Canada, but it was like, 2 a.m. and I had no idea what to do... why don't I ask? So I did, and hallelujah Minot's town sheriff let me crash right there in the town hall that night!

Thank you, Jesus.
Thank you, Lord.

damn, only if I coulda found that girl with the faraway eyes.

:?)