Sidewalk Clearing Bylaws (Regina in this case…)

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wherever you live, do you have sidewalk clearing bylaws? We do in Regina the last couple of years.

Resident says cannot afford $424 charge to property tax​

1676830010792.jpeg
Two Regina residents say the city is being too frosty with enforcement of its new sidewalk clearing bylaw.

Changes to Regina's Clean Property Bylaw came into effect in 2022, mandating that all property owners in the city must clear their own walks and nearby sidewalks — to the edges of the sidewalk and as close to the concrete as possible — within 48 hours of a snowfall.

After a year of only giving warnings to educate the public, this is the first winter where the bylaw has been enforced.

Al Bodnarchuk said he is now stuck with a $424 snow removal charge on his property taxes that he can't afford to pay.

Bodnarchuk said he is not physically able to shovel the snow in front of his corner lot home in the Cathedral neighbourhood due to multiple health impairments.

A neighbour had signed Bodnarchuk up for a snow angels program, in which volunteers help people shovel. He was assigned someone, and they did shovel Bodnarchuk's sidewalk, but he said it wasn't good enough for the city. On Jan. 9 he received a non-compliance notice giving him 48 hours notice to further clear the sidewalk.

He said he called the city to explain his situation.

"I told them, 'I don't have money to get somebody to do this and I'm too sick to do it.' And they said, 'Well you don't have a choice. You got 48 hours notice.' They weren't interested at all," said Bodnarchuk.

Charged for snow crew​

The city sent a crew to clean up the snow around Bodnarchuk's property and charged the cost to his property tax. He said he was told he can it pay off in three instalments.

Bodnarchuk said he is on long-term disability and not able to afford extra costs. He said other local businesses like his insurance company have made adjustments to help him.
1676830188641.jpeg
He said he is worried that he'll be cut off from using TIPPS, the city's online monthly tax payment program.

"I'm struggling so [badly]. I'm drowning. That's the only way that I can honestly say it. It's a feeling of drowning and there is no life raft," Bodnarchuk said.

"When you have to survive on a bag of potatoes for three weeks because you have no food in your fridge, that's what's the feeling of drowning."

Bodnarchuk said that he spoke to both the city and Andrew Stevens, the city councillor for his ward, and wasn't satisfied with the responses.

"I think the city should have anticipated that there will be people who would struggle with this and offer some kind of assistance. I mean the snow angels program was great, but they can't deal with the snow load we got this year," said Bodnarchuk.

The city said that the snow clearing bylaw is intended to create a more accessible city for everyone, whether on foot or using a mobility device.

If someone is not able to shovel, it suggests reaching out to family or friends, or signing up for a snow angel.

The city notes there are 11 community associations that offer volunteer-led snow angels programs.

Snow angel tried​

Bodnarchuk's snow angel thought they had done an adequate job of clearing the sidewalk, according to Cathedral Area Community Association office administrator Linda Rattray.

Rattray said she was surprised and disappointed to hear that Bodnarchuk was billed for snow removal while having a snow angel.

"She felt she was shoveling a wide enough path and that she did the best job she could. It was very hard for her especially with all this heavy snow we've been having," said Rattray.

The Cathedral snow angel program is volunteer based. Rattray said this year was the first year there were more people in need than volunteers.

Rattray said that Bodnarchuk has now been given a direct line to call his snow angel if needed.

Senior asked for help, ends up with warning​

Ted Jaleta said he called city councillor Cheryl Stadnichuk to see if the city could clear the snow that was left near his curb after street plowing. Instead, he ended up with a non-compliance warning.

He said the snow was making it difficult for him to safely leave his recycling and garbage bins out, and he was worried with all the warm weather that the drain beneath the snow was being blocked.

As a senior, Jaleta said he is not able to clear the massive pile of snow and ice on his own.

Even so, he said his sidewalks have a clear enough path for people to walk through, but a city bylaw enforcement officer handed him a notice of non-compliance for sidewalk snow removal on Feb. 7.
1676830435101.jpeg
"I was quite puzzled and that's not actually what I was expecting," Jaleta said. "This is not right."

The next day, he received a second notice of non-compliance.

Jaleta said no one has come by to clear the snow, but if he is billed on his property taxes, he plans on seeking legal advice.

"I felt not respected as a taxpayer," Jaleta said.

"I do have a right to say and bring an issue as a concerned citizen.… I expect my voice to be heard."

He said he is hoping the warning gets retracted and he gets an apology.

Councillor wants change​

Coun. Andrew Stevens said that while he felt for Bodnarchuk's situation, he can't remove the charge from his bill.

Stevens said the call has made him think about what can be done to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"I'm not convinced we have adequate supports in place for residents who have a bona fide disability," said Stevens.

"If you're physically unable to actually clear the sidewalk and make it accessible for members of the public, I think what we need to consider are important resources and services to help them out."

He added that he thinks the overall bylaw might need an amendment where the city is responsible for clearing the sidewalks of main streets.

When the winter snow removal budget is before council, he said he plans to put a motion forward to revisit the bylaw.

• Sad
Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Wherever you live, do you have sidewalk clearing bylaws? We do in Regina the last couple of years.

Resident says cannot afford $424 charge to property tax​

View attachment 17395
Two Regina residents say the city is being too frosty with enforcement of its new sidewalk clearing bylaw.

Changes to Regina's Clean Property Bylaw came into effect in 2022, mandating that all property owners in the city must clear their own walks and nearby sidewalks — to the edges of the sidewalk and as close to the concrete as possible — within 48 hours of a snowfall.

After a year of only giving warnings to educate the public, this is the first winter where the bylaw has been enforced.

Al Bodnarchuk said he is now stuck with a $424 snow removal charge on his property taxes that he can't afford to pay.

Bodnarchuk said he is not physically able to shovel the snow in front of his corner lot home in the Cathedral neighbourhood due to multiple health impairments.

A neighbour had signed Bodnarchuk up for a snow angels program, in which volunteers help people shovel. He was assigned someone, and they did shovel Bodnarchuk's sidewalk, but he said it wasn't good enough for the city. On Jan. 9 he received a non-compliance notice giving him 48 hours notice to further clear the sidewalk.

He said he called the city to explain his situation.

"I told them, 'I don't have money to get somebody to do this and I'm too sick to do it.' And they said, 'Well you don't have a choice. You got 48 hours notice.' They weren't interested at all," said Bodnarchuk.

Charged for snow crew​

The city sent a crew to clean up the snow around Bodnarchuk's property and charged the cost to his property tax. He said he was told he can it pay off in three instalments.

Bodnarchuk said he is on long-term disability and not able to afford extra costs. He said other local businesses like his insurance company have made adjustments to help him.
View attachment 17396
He said he is worried that he'll be cut off from using TIPPS, the city's online monthly tax payment program.

"I'm struggling so [badly]. I'm drowning. That's the only way that I can honestly say it. It's a feeling of drowning and there is no life raft," Bodnarchuk said.

"When you have to survive on a bag of potatoes for three weeks because you have no food in your fridge, that's what's the feeling of drowning."

Bodnarchuk said that he spoke to both the city and Andrew Stevens, the city councillor for his ward, and wasn't satisfied with the responses.

"I think the city should have anticipated that there will be people who would struggle with this and offer some kind of assistance. I mean the snow angels program was great, but they can't deal with the snow load we got this year," said Bodnarchuk.

The city said that the snow clearing bylaw is intended to create a more accessible city for everyone, whether on foot or using a mobility device.

If someone is not able to shovel, it suggests reaching out to family or friends, or signing up for a snow angel.

The city notes there are 11 community associations that offer volunteer-led snow angels programs.

Snow angel tried​

Bodnarchuk's snow angel thought they had done an adequate job of clearing the sidewalk, according to Cathedral Area Community Association office administrator Linda Rattray.

Rattray said she was surprised and disappointed to hear that Bodnarchuk was billed for snow removal while having a snow angel.

"She felt she was shoveling a wide enough path and that she did the best job she could. It was very hard for her especially with all this heavy snow we've been having," said Rattray.

The Cathedral snow angel program is volunteer based. Rattray said this year was the first year there were more people in need than volunteers.

Rattray said that Bodnarchuk has now been given a direct line to call his snow angel if needed.

Senior asked for help, ends up with warning​

Ted Jaleta said he called city councillor Cheryl Stadnichuk to see if the city could clear the snow that was left near his curb after street plowing. Instead, he ended up with a non-compliance warning.

He said the snow was making it difficult for him to safely leave his recycling and garbage bins out, and he was worried with all the warm weather that the drain beneath the snow was being blocked.

As a senior, Jaleta said he is not able to clear the massive pile of snow and ice on his own.

Even so, he said his sidewalks have a clear enough path for people to walk through, but a city bylaw enforcement officer handed him a notice of non-compliance for sidewalk snow removal on Feb. 7.
View attachment 17397
"I was quite puzzled and that's not actually what I was expecting," Jaleta said. "This is not right."

Jaleta said no one has come by to clear the snow, but if he is billed on his property taxes, he plans on seeking legal advice.

"I do have a right to say and bring an issue as a concerned citizen.… I expect my voice to be heard."

Councillor wants change​

Coun. Andrew Stevens said that while he felt for Bodnarchuk's situation, he can't remove the charge from his bill.

Stevens said the call has made him think about what can be done to make sure this doesn't happen again.

"I'm not convinced we have adequate supports in place for residents who have a bona fide disability," said Stevens.

"If you're physically unable to actually clear the sidewalk and make it accessible for members of the public, I think what we need to consider are important resources and services to help them out."

He added that he thinks the overall bylaw might need an amendment where the city is responsible for clearing the sidewalks of main streets.

When the winter snow removal budget is before council, he said he plans to put a motion forward to revisit the bylaw.
No such thing as Grey areas in a bureaucracy, unless you know someone .

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Regina also has something called “Surface Planing” for the streets where, if you don’t live on a main drag, and the ruts in the streets get too deep, the city might come out with a grader & plane off the top of the ruts to sort of fill in the low spots.

We’ve had the graders (with the blade actually touching the ice, but that’s a different story) go down our street twice this year.

My Girl has two artificial hips & a back surgery within the last year, so I’m pretty good on keeping the sidewalk shovelled and de-iced….though I fell behind on the actual city sidewalk after the last “Surface Planing” where they buried the sidewalk and it froze into one mass before I could get home from work.

Being a long weekend, one of my goals is to get it back the pavement again. Keeping in mind that the street is usually about 6-7” below the level of the sidewalks, and on the way to the pharmacy this morning I found the curb before I rolled out, the sidewalk is 6-7” below the level of the street.
1676831613874.jpeg
I figure there’s 12”-14” of packed ice & snow past the end of our sidewalk, & currently the alley is at least the same height as the surface of our garage pad.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It's stupid they are enforcing this on people that can't do it themselves. The fact he has signed up for the snow angels service should have been enough for the city. And if they felt it needed to be done better, they should have been the snow angels and done it for free. Take it out of the mayors kickbacks or something.

We have something similar in Toronto but like most bylaws rarely enforced. Usually by complaint only.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
You have a lot of snow there this year. If I recall from when I was there (back when dinosaurs were roaming the earth) most years snowfall was moderate. Usually only catching what blows in. Some heavy years. Looks like this year is one of them.

Our snow is gone. One +15c day last week took care of the last of it. That seems to be the primary difference to here vs there is you get breaks in the cold and not as cold. More humid.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I don't know about where I live currently but where I used to live (a city of about 150,000) they had mini-plows to do the sidewalks. All you were responsible for was your own sidewalk, or a path up your driveway to the front porch if your house was set up like that. Although the city wouldn't fine you if you didn't clear the snow, but the mail carriers wouldn't deliver to your house.

As for Al Bodnarchuk's issue, the city are being assholes. First off he has a corner lot so he's paying property tax on TWO frontages. Second, isn't clearing the sidewalks in winter one of the things your property taxes are supposed to be fucking paying for? If not, shouldn't it be?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don't know about where I live currently but where I used to live (a city of about 150,000) they had mini-plows to do the sidewalks. All you were responsible for was your own sidewalk, or a path up your driveway to the front porch if your house was set up like that. Although the city wouldn't fine you if you didn't clear the snow, but the mail carriers wouldn't deliver to your house.

As for Al Bodnarchuk's issue, the city are being assholes. First off he has a corner lot so he's paying property tax on TWO frontages. Second, isn't clearing the sidewalks in winter one of the things your property taxes are supposed to be fucking paying for? If not, shouldn't it be?
Not here:
Winter is part of life in Regina. Let’s make winter walks accessible for everyone. Property owners are required to keep City sidewalks bordering their property free of snow and ice.

Property owners must clear sidewalks within 48 hours following a snow event.

I live on a corner lot. Am I expected to clear in front and along the side? Yes, all parts of the sidewalk adjoining your property are expected to be cleared.

What happens if I don’t shovel my sidewalk? The goal of the bylaw is to ensure sidewalks across our community are accessible for our neighbours throughout the winter months. Should enforcement be required, City staff will issue a Notice of Non-Compliance to the property owner to clear the sidewalk in a specified timeframe. If the property owner does not comply within the specified timeframe, the City will take action to have the sidewalks cleared and the costs applied to their property taxes.

What will the cost be if the City has to clear the sidewalks? It’s estimated at $300 and based upon the time, equipment and staffing to clear the sidewalk.

Honestly, I don’t have an issue keeping our sidewalks clear of snow, but I do have an issue with the street grader’s pushing windrows of snow onto the sidewalks that freeze solid in a couple of hours….& then the homeowner’s being responsible for that grader created situation.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Senior asked for help, ends up with warning
This is the situation that I have an issue with:
1676897416516.jpeg

What if City graders dump the snow on the freshly cleared sidewalks? Snow ridges are a result of plowing the roadway. Our goal is to keep the snow ridges in the curb lane and not on sidewalks. If it happens, we ask residents to call Service ReginaOpens in new window and we can schedule our crews to stop by.
Ted, above, didn’t push that snow up onto the city sidewalk with his own street grader I’m assuming, but he’s now responsible for that frozen mass.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We have them but not for doing where slave labour can be utilized.

How much equipment do you have? Winter maintenance has a fleet of 15 Graders, 10 sanders, 11 sidewalk tractors, and 5 loaders.
View attachment 17408
https://www.regina.ca › residential-...

Residential Road Snow Plow - City of Regina

What if I'm unable to clear my sidewalk?

It’s important to make arrangements for your sidewalk to be cleared as per the bylaw. Consider asking for help from family and friends, or perhaps hire a local student or snow removal company. Snow Angel programs are available only in some areas of the city where the community association has set up the service.
DC has a very effective snow-clearing plan.

We call it "Spring."
Yeah, about a decade ago, the city grader plowed a windrow up onto our sidewalk that way the full length of our property, about 5’ tall & over 8’ wide, that froze into a mass before I got home from work.

I did register a complaint (first & only time) so that they’d come back & clean up their mess….in January….& I monitored this open case on the city website. The case was closed in the third week of April that year. This is before the 48hr fines thing by a decade or so though. Last time I submitted a service request to the city.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Hard to blame 'em. They don't pay the city workers enough to give a damn about your problems. They got snow to clear.

And no amount of money would make the city "leaders" give a damn about your problems.

• Haha

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We deliberately park double spaced and an extra meter from the sidewalk after a snow.

We are on a level 2 route with a school across the street. We get both side of the street plowed to one windrow.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Hard to blame 'em. They don't pay the city workers enough to give a damn about your problems. They got snow to clear.

And no amount of money would make the city "leaders" give a damn about your problems.
They arent city. They work for a contractor and are getting above average as operators.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
We deliberately park double spaced and an extra meter from the sidewalk after a snow.

We are on a level 2 route with a school across the street. We get both side of the street plowed to one windrow.
We’re level 5. Too far from the downtown to be catagory 1, & then when they get to 5, they work from the outside back towards the middle. We’re towards the middle.

Our street also happens to be between to major avenues that are level 1 or 2, so the graders (with the blades up) & the gravel trucks use our street to get between 11th & 12th while avoiding Arcola. Makes the ruts extra wide & deep. This isn’t a bad year either.

Category 1
• freeways/expressways
• major arterials
• Roads on a designated hospital route

Category 2
• Minor arterial roads, major collector roads with traffic volumes greater than 5,000 vehicles per day (VPD)
• transit routes
• all roads in Downtown
• all bicycles only lanes (bicycles only lanes)

Category 3
• Major collector roads with traffic volumes less than 5,000 VPD, minor collector roads
• industrial/commercial roads
• residential/local roads with traffic volume greater than 1,500
VPD
• roads adjacent to School Drop-off Zones Category 4 All gravel roads

Category 5 All local/residential roads with traffic volume less than 1,500 VPD (at this point they work from the outskirts back towards the middle.

Category 5 Roads:
Residential snow plowing activity is triggered by:
• 15 cm or more snow accumulation after a Snow Event
• No specific Timeline to complete plowing and ice control activity
on local/ residential roads
Level of Service:
• The ice control on residential roads is based on Field Supervisor
inspection
• Driving lanes and Turning lanes to be plowed to compacted
snow surface
• Rut heights to be reduced as required during the season based on Field Supervisor inspection.
Routine Mode Maintenance:
• Post snow event clean-up will be completed within 21 days
following Systematic Plowing competition

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

ity workers in Canada are well paid. Look at the sunshine list.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
This past winter, I was visiting a bud in Nanaimo, and he had just finished shovelling the sidewalk when a city plow came along and covered it all back up.
Living in a rural area we don't have this problem. We can't even get the main roads that the school bus uses plowed.
As a loyal union member, I could not shovel the sidewalk because that would be scab labour. Also what taxes are for. If there isn't enough money to properly maintain the roads, then eliminate enough bureaucraps to cover snow removal costs.