Saskatchewan Population Decline

athabaska

Electoral Member
Dec 26, 2005
The Alberta/Sask dichotomy is less than meets the eye. The boundary is somewhat artificial. Reasons for some Folks moving from much of Sask to Calgary aren't always that different from those movng from Vegreville or Milk river (in Alberta) to Calgary.

Saskatchewan doesn't have the big metropolitan center to attract young people. Calgary and Edmonton (like Vancouver, Toronto) have that modern critical mass to sustain their attraction to newcomers. Saskatchewan is like Newfoundland: it's losing the population game and that feeds on itself. As a strong environmentalist, I don't see this as a negative. Saskatchewan and Newfoundland have wonderful ecologies that have some of the pressure eased off. It would be a plus to have areas that are today ravaged by mono-grain culture return to natural grasslands.

Yes, there is also 'the attitude' to attract a certain type of people to Alberta. If a family back in Nova Scotia had five children...3 have left and those 3 are usually the educated, the go getters or even the black sheep with a lot of potential energy. Alberta is like a micro-model of Canada would have been 100 years ago...a society attracting self-reliant, pick-yourself-up-by-the-bootstrap hard working individuals. most believing in themselves and their ability to make their own lives. Whiners aren't popular here other than targets for a quick kick in the ass.

Re Saskatchewan. Perhaps my recent trips there weren't representative. What stood out was the number of young natives. Most whites semed to be 40 plus in age and most people under 15 were natives....this was in Regina. The cultural mix of the province is quite interesting. There is also a low number of visible non-native minorites (also low in Alberta). Alberta has non-white immigration but it is dwarfed by white immigration from the rest of Canada. It seems that if I walk down a street in downtown Toronto or Vancouver, half the folks are non-white....in Regina half seemed native and, here in Calgary, 95% white. This will all add up to Canadian cities increasing their individual identities which is probably a positive.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re Saskatchewan. Perhaps my recent trips there weren't representative. What stood out was the number of young natives. Most whites semed to be 40 plus in age and most people under 15 were natives....this was in Regina. The cultural mix of the province is quite interesting. There is also a low number of visible non-native minorites (also low in Alberta). Alberta has non-white immigration but it is dwarfed by white immigration from the rest of Canada. It seems that if I walk down a street in downtown Toronto or Vancouver, half the folks are non-white....in Regina half seemed native and, here in Calgary, 95% white. This will all add up to Canadian cities increasing their individual identities which is probably a positive.

I lived in both Calgary and Saskatoon. I would say that's accurate, although I would have thought that had changed over the last 15yrs.

tpp

Jul 1, 2006
Edmonton
RE: Saskatchewan Populati

Alberta is a lot more progressive than Saskatchewan. It is glee that I read the article that Medicine Hat may be getting a STARS helicopter base within one year!

http://www.medicinehatnews.com/article_2833.php

Think, southwest Saskatchewan will have better emergency services than Regina or Saskatoon. How embarassing for Saskatchewan. Word has it that Lloydminster may be getting a STARS helicopter base as well. Ambulances won't be going from Swift Current to Saskatoon or Regina anymore but to Medicine Hat and on to Calgary if necessary. Boy, the NDP sure did mess that one up.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
Well, TPP and West. Can. Chick summed it up perfectly and Canada500 does not have a clue what he was talking about. Our prov. gov't is the most useless pieces of you know what there is.
As a business owner this government does absolutely nothing for small business other than chase you to Alberta, and they are not exactly sitting at the boarder with open arms for larger businesses either. With an election around the corner the NDP got right to work this spring trying to collect the votes. No young people left to vote for them so what do they turn to. The elderly. Announced this spring, all seniors now get free fishing and admittance to all provincial parks. The seniors just gobbled that all up. Just another vote grab. The NDP spent millions on promoting tourism, unfortunetly they cut back every year the amount that gets allocated to the parks. Thats right, come to our parks and see nature as it was intended to be.......uncut grass, no fire wood to burn even thought they charge you a fee to burn their crappy green wood, plugged toilets daily and make sure you don't leave anything on the counter of the camper on the way down because SOME of our highways are a little on the rough side.
If I seem bitter it is because I am. I think Sask. is beautiful and wish I could stay, but like it was mentioned earlier, this province has no economy and never will as long as 85% of it's population either collects treaty cheques or old age pension cheques. Without an economy young people can not have a future here. Unless you have a gov't job you are screwed or destined to live a long struggle filled life here. I say let everyone move to Alberta and leave the gov't here with there pension and treaty cheques to cover on their own.

Reactions: Lester

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Well, TPP and West. Can. Chick summed it up perfectly and Canada500 does not have a clue what he was talking about. Our prov. gov't is the most useless pieces of you know what there is.
As a business owner this government does absolutely nothing for small business other than chase you to Alberta, and they are not exactly sitting at the boarder with open arms for larger businesses either. With an election around the corner the NDP got right to work this spring trying to collect the votes. No young people left to vote for them so what do they turn to. The elderly. Announced this spring, all seniors now get free fishing and admittance to all provincial parks. The seniors just gobbled that all up. Just another vote grab. The NDP spent millions on promoting tourism, unfortunetly they cut back every year the amount that gets allocated to the parks. Thats right, come to our parks and see nature as it was intended to be.......uncut grass, no fire wood to burn even thought they charge you a fee to burn their crappy green wood, plugged toilets daily and make sure you don't leave anything on the counter of the camper on the way down because SOME of our highways are a little on the rough side.
If I seem bitter it is because I am. I think Sask. is beautiful and wish I could stay, but like it was mentioned earlier, this province has no economy and never will as long as 85% of it's population either collects treaty cheques or old age pension cheques. Without an economy young people can not have a future here. Unless you have a gov't job you are screwed or destined to live a long struggle filled life here. I say let everyone move to Alberta and leave the gov't here with there pension and treaty cheques to cover on their own.

Yeah....the NDP didn't do so well in that election, and their out. Saskatchewan Party is
now in, and things are coming along. There are something like 10,000 empty job positions
in the province currently, and the Premier is traveling province to province with
companies attending Job Fairs trying to recruit more people to come and work here.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I feel bad for the people of Saskatchewan, every year they see another few thousand people head out. Why is it when there is actualy a labor shortage in the cities, and the economy is supposed to be good, and they have all that oil, they still continue to see their people leave. Over the last decade or so they have seen the population in Saskatchewan go from 1,030,000 to 992,000 currently.

In contrast the population of Alberta has been steadily increasing with the province adding approximately 65,000 in the same time period(1 year period). That is quite an increase in population seeing as how Quebec a much more populous province only adds about 50,000 people a year. Alberta's growth is only matched in sheer numbers when you compare it with Ontairo, a province almost 4 times the population. BC also has a high growth rate as well.

Saskatchewans Population in 2008 1,010,146
Saskatchewans Population in 2007 990,212
......................................................19,934 increase in the last year.

Alberta's Population is about 3&1/2 times that of Saskatchewan's...

dirkdigler

Jan 17, 2009
i love that our big boom gets us all the way up to... the exact same population we had in 1989, over that same time, Alberta gained over 1,000,000 people (about the same as the total population of Saskatchewan)