Sask may no longer legally fund non-Catholic students

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Why are christian kids going to non christian schools?

Why are non-Catholics going to Catholic schools? We could have put one of our kids in a nearby Catholic elementary because he had been baptized in the Anglican church ... which is "close enough" for the priests. We didn't, in the end but we looked into it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I attended catholic school in Quebec from 1 - 7. Then, miraculously, I escaped to the protestant system in grade 8 and found myself about 2 years behind the other students. It was hard work to catch up, but I thank my lucky stars that I was emancipated from that draconian system run by sadistic penguins and pedophiles. In the protestant system they gave us a background in all the major religions without trying to lead us in any particular direction. They helped encourage thinking for ourselves. The catholic system was a complete brainwashing in the terror of godly punishment for every little misdemeanor.

Psst. There were more Injuns buggered in Protestant Injun residential schools.

How did you fall behind on the same circulum and the same standardized provincial tests?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I attended catholic school in Quebec from 1 - 7. Then, miraculously, I escaped to the protestant system in grade 8 and found myself about 2 years behind the other students. It was hard work to catch up, but I thank my lucky stars that I was emancipated from that draconian system run by sadistic penguins and pedophiles. In the protestant system they gave us a background in all the major religions without trying to lead us in any particular direction. They helped encourage thinking for ourselves. The catholic system was a complete brainwashing in the terror of godly punishment for every little misdemeanor.

I went through the Quebec school system as well, when it was demominational. I was in the Protestant side and we noticed that the sciences that we were studying were years ahead of what they were getting in the Catholic schools. The Catholic system was the majority system and the Protestants self-funded. The Protestant population of a big part of Montreal was composed of middle class and upper middle class executive types, back when all of the national head offices and branch offices were there. A big part of English Montreal was and still is the Jewish population and they won't stand for second-rate schooling. The Jewish community is always at the forefront of raising money for any cause and, because they were forced into the Protestant system, they spread their largesse, there. It was grossly unfair to the Catholic, Francophone Quebecois and that system is long dead, there ... now divided by language. (only in Montreal and it's surrounds).

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Years ahead on Provincial curiculum and identical tests?

How did that happen?

Nap time?

Not in Quebec in the 1970's ... It was the other way around.

Minority systems that are well funded produce better results. That is the downfall of the US school system whereby each school district funds themselves and so rich ones have well endowed schools and poor ones perpetuate ignorance with poor schools and poor outcomes.

captain morgan

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 28, 2009
A Mouse Once Bit My Sister
Oh, so my taxes in Ontario do not pay 1 penny to the public Catholic school system?

Here I am learning again from the master.

Thank you.

How is it that you're still here?

Is everyone in Alberta an a55hole or just the internet loudmouths?

The Quebec education system must be so ashamed to have produced you.

... You really ought to give them their money back

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Not in Quebec in the 1970's ... It was the other way around.

Minority systems that are well funded produce better results. That is the downfall of the US school system whereby each school district funds themselves and so rich ones have well endowed schools and poor ones perpetuate ignorance with poor schools and poor outcomes.

Yes in QC in the 70's. Remember the fill in the dot CTBS tests?

The Canadian Test of Basic Skills (CTBS) is a standardized test that is used by both private and public schools across Canada?

Remember?

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Yes in QC in the 70's. Remember the fill in the dot CTBS tests?

The Canadian Test of Basic Skills (CTBS) is a standardized test that is used by both private and public schools across Canada?

Remember?

I remember the SAT and SACU tests. I'm sure that I msypt have filled in those dots, way back when too.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yup, you would have.

When the switch to Metric hit we got a dose of a Trudeau1 Fed mandated mathematics curriculum.

Standardized Provincial curriculums have been around for a long long time.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
What education system do you elect to apply your tax dollars towards?

... My bad, you don't pay taxes do you

BC. WE don't have such a thing. We have a grossly inefficient public system and a number of independent schools, some religious some not. I believe all receive the same per student funding. The government teachers union of course thinks that only public schools should be publicly funded. I think there is no excuse for having government employees as teachers. Like most government services this is a throwback to a bygone era.

Mokkajava

Electoral Member
Nov 14, 2016
Saskatchewan
As a Saskatchewan resident, and a parent member of boards that serve the public school system...I have been a spectator to the cuts to public school funding the current government has suggested need to occur, but legally they can not impose on the Catholic system. If any one else here followed the Parins report produced last fall, you will understand what I am referring to. I personally don't believe religious faith education should be publicly funded on any level... but I am particularly aggrieved when it receives special consideration and funding over Public education.
Call me a special snowflake or whatever... but I am happy with this ruling and hope it stands up under appeal. Take your children to church... practice your faith at home... and teach children in classes about the world and all its religions, but proper Education of all children need not include religious brainwashing.

Also, I went through the Catholic system in Saskatchewan myself... so I understand the implications.

tay

Hall of Fame Member
May 20, 2012
Dear Mr. Wall; How you determine how many students are not Catholic is by asking them.............

Saskatchewan will look at all the options after a court ruling said the province can't provide Catholic schools funding for students who aren't Catholic, says Premier Brad Wall.

"This simply cannot stand," Wall said Monday.

"Consider the implications here. If this has to be implemented by June of 2018, in that subsequent fall, you could have massively overpopulated public schools and empty or near empty separate schools. You actually risk the viability of community schools."

Wall says parents could be forced to send their children to public schools an hour away from home, and that's not acceptable for families.

The dispute started in 2003 when the Yorkdale School Division, now Good Spirit School Division, closed down its kindergarten-to-Grade 8 school in the town of Theodore because of declining enrolment. The division planned to bus its 42 students to the community of Springside, 17 kilometres away.

In response, a local group created its own Catholic school division and opened St. Theodore Roman Catholic School.

That prompted Good Spirit School Division to launch a lawsuit claiming the creation of the new school division was not to serve Catholics in the community, but rather to prevent the students from being bused to a neighbouring town.

Layh's ruling noted there is a growing number of non-Catholic students attending Catholic schools in the province.

The Saskatchewan government does not know how many non-Catholic students attend Catholic schools.

"Can you imagine the process of trying to determine that?" said Wall.

Court ruling on funding for Catholic schools can't stand, Wall says | CTV News