Author of the article:
Kevin Connor
Publishing date:
Dec 09, 2021 • 21 hours ago • 1 minute read •
32 Comments
A Walmart Supercentre.
A Walmart Supercentre. Photo by Azin Ghaffari /Postmedia
Article content

Walmart Canada will stop using single-use plastic shopping bags by Earth Day of next year.

By April 22, Walmart Canada’s 400 locations will end the use of the plastic bags, which the company says will eliminate three-quarter of a billion going into circulation each year.
Advertisement
Story continues below
Article content

“Eliminating plastic shopping bags is a significant milestone on our journey to becoming a regenerative company – and it’s the right thing to do,” said Horacio Barbeito, Walmart Canada president and CEO.

“We know this is important for our associates and our customers. I’m so proud of our team for taking this step, the most recent in a series of significant changes to ensure we’re doing right by our associates, customers and the planet and leading the way when it comes to regenerative practices.”
Engine Heat: A math lesson that could save your life this winter

Tracker dslogo
Business Trends
Market One
Sponsored by Market One

How Sprout AI is farming for the future open in new tab

16 hours ago
How Sprout AI is farming for the future
How XRApplied is using extended reality for creative and modern business solutions open in new tab
November 30, 2021
How XRApplied is using extended reality for creative and modern business solutions
How Inca One became a major player in the Peruvian gold processing industry open in new tab
November 29, 2021
How Inca One became a major player in the Peruvian gold processing industry
Sonoro’s Cerro Caliche Gold Project contains 332,500 ounces of gold equivalent according to new PEA open in new tab
November 29, 2021
Sonoro’s Cerro Caliche Gold Project contains 332,500 ounces of gold equivalent according to new PEA
Clean Seed is saving our soil one crop at a time open in new tab
November 25, 2021
Clean Seed is saving our soil one crop at a time
New Placer has hit their stride with a clear path ahead open in new tab
November 24, 2021
New Placer has hit their stride with a clear path ahead
Xebra Brands is mapping out a path towards success open in new tab
November 24, 2021
Xebra Brands is mapping out a path towards success
Supercharge your way to the green revolution with ION Energy open in new tab
November 23, 2021
Supercharge your way to the green revolution with ION Energy
ShaMaran Petroleum is poised to score big in new energy playing field open in new tab
November 17, 2021
ShaMaran Petroleum is poised to score big in new energy playing field
Why extended reality is powering the next generation of technology companies open in new tab

November 16, 2021
Why extended reality is powering the next generation of technology companies

Article content

The move follows a pilot project at 10 stores that began in August, and Walmart says customers had positive feedback.

“Participating in this pilot has been such a positive experience for my team, especially since we know firsthand how many single-use plastic bags we typically go through each week,” said Kevin Oakley , manager at a Guelph location.

“Ending the use of single-use plastic bags at checkout means Walmart customers and associates are helping to make a positive impact on the environment every single day.”

kconnor@postmedia.com

• Sad
Reactions: taxslave

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
It is a start for Walmart but, a company with that much clout should be hammering it's suppliers about the even bigger problem of plastic packaging.
Not knowing for sure but, if only toy manufacturers were required to lessen their plastic packaging by 10%, that would amount to double, tripple or more the amount of plastic in the plastic the bags they are eliminating.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
I like the plastic bags. I don't mind paying .05 for them. I use them later as trash bags for small trash cans etc. Some places have paper bags and charge .05 for them. I refuse to pay for a paper bag. If they charge for paper I will just keep the crap lose in the cart and bag them in re-usables in my trunk. Not my issue if it makes their security exit guys job tough.

Reactions: taxme

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
The same clowns that are now insisting plastic bags are bad, insisted we use plastic instead of paper because horror of horrors, paper bags might be made from old growth trees. SO now you have to buy single use plastic garbage bags because you can no longer get free ones with your groceries. Probably makes sense to a bureaucrap.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Walmart in Alberta has been paper bags for years..

All of those poor hundreds of millions of oxygen making trees that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for all of the many stores that have been using paper bags for years now plus all of the toilet paper that was used so people can wipe their arseholes with. Thank gawd that I was not born a tree. Ouch, I can just feel the pain now from a chainsaw cutting into some poor old trees oxygen creating body. Help, they are killing me, says the tree. Watch out for my junk, fella. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: taxslave and B00Mer

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
All of those poor hundreds of millions of oxygen making trees that have paid the ultimate sacrifice for all of the many stores that have been using paper bags for years now plus all of the toilet paper that was used so people can wipe their arseholes with. Thank gawd that I was not born a tree. Ouch, I can just feel the pain now from a chainsaw cutting into some poor old trees oxygen creating body. Help, they are killing me, says the tree. Watch out for my junk, fella. :ROFLMAO:
So. . . what's your point? That plastic bags are a fundamental human right or something?

• Haha
Reactions: B00Mer

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
We keep a cooler and a couple of bins in the trunk of the car. Stuff goes back in the cart and the cart goes out to the car where I put it in the bins. Some of the younger cashiers toss the stuff in bags even though we say no. We still have a shitload of bags at home for garbage etc.

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
It is a start for Walmart but, a company with that much clout should be hammering it's suppliers about the even bigger problem of plastic packaging.
Not knowing for sure but, if only toy manufacturers were required to lessen their plastic packaging by 10%, that would amount to double, tripple or more the amount of plastic in the plastic the bags they are eliminating.
I worked in the food packaging industry for many years. In a lot of cases like potato chips, the package costs as much or more than the product inside. Keep it fresher longer though than the old waxed paper bags.

Reactions: taxslave

MyOpinion

Time Out
Dec 3, 2021
I worked in the food packaging industry for many years. In a lot of cases like potato chips, the package costs as much or more than the product inside. Keep it fresher longer though than the old waxed paper bags.
While this may be true for foods it is not for toys and products in hardware stores. Blister packs use way more plastic than bags do and they take just as long to decompose as bags.

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
So. . . what's your point? That plastic bags are a fundamental human right or something?

The point for me is that I do not have a problem with the world using plastic. As far as I know plastic is still recyclable, and that the majority of people here in Canada are recycling their plastic. I am pretty sure that we will never end the need for plastic. It's here to stay.

Of course China is the biggest culprit and user of plastic. Just about every product that we buy in stores these days is made from plastic and is from China. You had better talk to China about that, and not me. Good luck on that one. Anyway, the use and waste of plastic is not on my top priority list. :D