Recycling

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
Today was a good day at the local scrap yard I happened upon a ten foot piece of ANSI -60 which still had the factory oil on it, never used, not a scratch, show room condition. Five bucks. I,m beside myself. The stuff that people throw out sometimes amazes me.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Today was a good day at the local scrap yard I happened upon a ten foot piece of ANSI -60 which still had the factory oil on it, never used, not a scratch, show room condition. Five bucks. I,m beside myself. The stuff that people throw out sometimes amazes me.

Put that in your pipe, eh?

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
Some people make a point of recycling materials and items they no longer need. In the last few years I've given away thousands of dollars in history and archeology books and given away my high end stereo system I acquired in the 1970s. Ditto for my vinyl LPs.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Upcycling. Until 40 years ago it was a way of life.

What incentive is there for you by recycling when Big Garbage and Big Manufacturing team up to hose you?

They make it, you buy it, you pay eco fees and curbside collection costs through taxes, you break it, you give away valuable raw materials , they collect it, sell it back to the manufacturer and then back to you.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Well since it's now its illegal to pick beer cans from the recycling boxes around here those corporations just feeked the homeless beer can pickers right in the A$$
Gives the cops something easy to do though I suppose, since catching criminals seems to be way too much work for them.

Just one more reason to brew one's own in reusable glass.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Well since it's now its illegal to pick beer cans from the recycling boxes around here those corporations just feeked the homeless beer can pickers right in the A$$
Gives the cops something easy to do though I suppose, since catching criminals seems to be way too much work for them.

Just one more reason to brew one's own in reusable glass.

You'll have to share some of your jam jar raisin jack with the rest of the cell block, one day.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
I,ve been in the habit of filling my transportation needs with vehicles deemed unfit for the road for about forty years, and I still have many of the parts which I enjoy working into something else. Last week I got arround to sorting and cleaning my collection of metric hardware. For example, a one liter jar will hold two hundred dollars worth of nuts and bolts easily. It,s my empire of junk.

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
You'll have to share some of your jam jar raisin jack with the rest of the cell block, one day.

Nothing I give them will stop them from beating you up for your lunch money.
;)
Those gals are brutal.

I,ve been in the habit of filling my transportation needs with vehicles deemed unfit for the road for about forty years, and I still have many of the parts which I enjoy working into something else. Last week I got arround to sorting and cleaning my collection of metric hardware. For example, a one liter jar will hold two hundred dollars worth of nuts and bolts easily. It,s my empire of junk.

Yeah, One can build it all out of stuff the less fortunate throw away.
:)
MY 1963 18 Hp johnson outboard that I mentioned earlier is a masterpiece that came to me along with the complete boat and all the fixings, INCLUDING a sat GPS, from a high end recycling operation in the high priced tourist end of the bay.

Courtesy of a scrap master.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015

I,ve been in the habit of filling my transportation needs with vehicles deemed unfit for the road for about forty years,

Only buy Ford cars, eh?