PM to step down from liberal leadership

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
The Prime Minister has announced he will step down from leadership of the federal liberal government in 18 months (1 1/2 yrs).

This with a leadership review committee being held in early 2003 makes one wonder what his reasoning is to announce this so far in advance.

Anyone have any comments to make on this?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
This is some of the best news i've heard... I really do wish it was much earlier, but hey, that's life.. Im not known to support the liberal party anyhow ;-), as you all know.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
www.canadiandemocraticmovement.ca
His stepping down still does not change the fact we as Canadians have absolutly no say in who is our Prime Minister. Right now it is a popularity contest among the rich and elite who are connected to politicians in Ontario. The people of Ontario who voted Liberal and stuck us with this senile fool are to blame, and they are the ones who get the say in who the next fool is.
It is high time the people of the country get to pick who represents us in the most important position.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
I did not vote liberal and i live in Ontario. So its not all of Ontario to blame.

Also, whats this talk in the forum of becoming a republic? Sounds like a sort of good idea.

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Anonymous said:
I did not vote liberal and i live in Ontario. So its not all of Ontario to blame.

Also, whats this talk in the forum of becoming a republic? Sounds like a sort of good idea.

i did not mean ALL the people of Ontario. There are some smart cookies left in jar there. You are right, Canada dropping our fixation with the Monarchy and replacing it with a Rebublic would go a long way to bringing better democracy to the people.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Not only democracy, but better control over our country and laws. A reform in this system is very much overdue.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Although there are a lot of us who wish Canada became a republic, we all know that there isnt anyone politically brave enough to even think about crossing these lines. That would be like jumping off a building to your death for them.

Maybe one day it will be, maybe a revolt against the government from all canadians might help it happen sooner.

Cyberm4n

Electoral Member
Jun 6, 2002
Toronto
This might be a nice move for the country as a whole. I think its a little late. And he's still putting it off. Who knows, he might change his mind before then, very typical.

I think the cretien grip is losing it's grasp these days anyhow.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
Cyberm4n said:
This might be a nice move for the country as a whole. I think its a little late. And he's still putting it off. Who knows, he might change his mind before then, very typical.

I think the cretien grip is losing it's grasp these days anyhow.

His grip or his mind? :) He's losing a lot of support inside his party as well. Same kind thing that happened to Stockwell Day is starting to happen to him, although his party when they speak out has been doing it annonymously lately, which for them is a wise move ;)

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Shmad said:
Although there are a lot of us who wish Canada became a republic, we all know that there isnt anyone politically brave enough to even think about crossing these lines. That would be like jumping off a building to your death for them.

Maybe one day it will be, maybe a revolt against the government from all canadians might help it happen sooner.

As the baby boomers hit old age and start dying off, the movement towards a republic can take place. Your right there are right now to many who have for god knows what reason a liking of not having real democracy. Monarchy ties must go.
As for a revolt, hold your hats, in the next 30 years there will be an uprising from the worlds poor against a world dominated by a few countries, banks and multinational corporations. There is enough money in the world right now that no single person should go hungry or have clean water and a safe place to sleep. Problem is, those that control the money would rather hoard it to themselves and their friends. They care not for anyone else and for that they will reap the whirlwind.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
This is maybe a bad idea! Babyboomers have ties to monarch for a reason! its morals and ways! think about it!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
czardogs, do you not agree that the monarch contains more moral values than the current other political systems in the world like america?

czardogs

Electoral Member
Jul 25, 2002
BC
Anonymous said:
czardogs, do you not agree that the monarch contains more moral values than the current other political systems in the world like america?

The monarchy moral? Ha ha haa thats funny!! Do some reading of history before making such a statement.
I guess you dont like democracy because the monarchy system that the Canadian gov now uses brings us:
1) an unelected Prime Minister who can do whatever he/she wants for as long as they want

2) an unelected Senate that is nothing more than patronage appointments for friends of the unelected Prime Minister

3) a system of elections that allow one province to elect a majority to government with less than one in four people actually voting for them. Only forty percent of Canadians bothered to vote in the last election and the liberals formed the majority with less than one in four votes of those that even bothered.

4) a House of Commons that follows the whims and direction of an unelected Prime Minister with no recourse for the rest of Canada.

I find lots of problems with this system of government. As Darwin said " what fails to evolve dies". That sums up our country right now.

Shmad

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Cache Creek, BC
www.justrant.com
I couldnt agree with czardogs more on his last post here. We dont elect our PM he/she just "gets there" based on whoever the hell everyone else voted for. Its not really a fair system.

I also think the monarchy system should be turfed out the window and a new type of government system formed. Its rather apparent that this system only helps those who dont turn a hand to help themselves. Hell you could pretty much lead a party, stay unknown then get into office as Canada's PM. Its a pretty sad system.

As for the monarchy having values, well one does not have to look that far into the past to see that they have no values.

Vincent_2002

Electoral Member
Mar 27, 2002
Montréal, Quebec
What about the liberal party? They need to vote for leadership one year after the prime ministre announces he will step down. It's too true! The party must vote one year after he says he will step down.

JidoSpod

Nominee Member
Aug 26, 2002
Vincent_2002 said:
What about the liberal party? They need to vote for leadership one year after the prime ministre announces he will step down. It's too true! The party must vote one year after he says he will step down.

Who CARES about the liberals anymore. I've never seen such a two faced government in my life, and hello, we had the NDP in here before.

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
The Liberal party is all we really have to vote for, but thank God the idiot Cretien is finally leaving. He is an embarassment to the nation! Now if we could only dispose of that old Paul Martin, the impractical fool Rock, plus a few others and get some fresh young blood .. NO NOT THE BIG MOUTH Andy Scott who did/does nothing but blather, we might have a chance to regain nationhood.

In short, I am so sick of these intellectual pygmies running our county. You can destest people like Trudeau and Mulroney, but at least they stood for something and had a vision of where the nation should be going .. this motely crowd supports graft and little or nothing else!

A pox on every one of them!

Anonymous

Electoral Member
Mar 24, 2002
Re the idea of ditching the monachy in favor of becoming a republic........ can anyone point out a good republic that hasn,t become a dictatorship?
I am moving to Canada shortly from Australia. I believe you have the same system of Government there as we do, in wich case it was never designed for political parties, it was designed for Independents...the corrupt got together and form the parties.
What you need to do is find yourselves good individuals to represent you and back them to the hilt....help them as much as you can.

POLI = many TICS = blood sucking parasites

cya soon :wink: