Mass shootings in Nova Scotia

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
The shooter has been identified as Gabriel Wortman - a 51 year old denturist who owned property in Portapique NS - it is not yet known if those are the properties that reportedly were set on fire some time on Saturday night.

Last edited:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek

RCMP Constable Heidi Stevenson - a 23 year veteran of the Nova Scotia RCMP - has been identified as the officer killed. She leaves behind a husband and two children. Another RCMP officer was also shot and is now in hospital - no word on his condition. None of the other victims have yet been identified.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yikes I saw this on another thread didn’t realize it was so serious . Sad

Avro52

Time Out
Mar 19, 2020
White male terrorism strikes again.

Terrible news.

Thoughts and condolences to the victims families.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

Terrible news.

White male terrorism? Not a term I've ever read. This looks like a like your classic active shooter. The shooter doesn't have to be Caucasian, but is usually male, perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye. Covid-19 related? Possibly. I guess we'll get more details.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Terrible news.

You really are a piece of work , yup your folks that escaped the classism of Britain really were gentry . Poor soul .

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
Such sorrowful news. When I first saw the headline earlier I thought it must have been in the US somewhere and thought, here we go again. Then was shocked to realize it was here at home. So tragic.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I've an uncle who lives in the area, and have friends there. The friends are good, I'll have to check with my dad tomorrow to find out about my uncle.

I know they're still investigating but too much looks already like he planned something like this... :(

Twin_Moose

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 17, 2017
Twin Moose Creek
'We're going to get through this together': Trudeau calls for unity after mass killing

After saying condolences and thanking first responders he comes out with this gem

Trudeau said his government is looking at moving ahead with stricter gun control measures as Parliament returns for some regular sittings during the pandemic.
"This is very much an ongoing investigation that is in its early stages in Nova Scotia right now. So I don't want to jump to conclusions," he said.
"I can say we were on the verge of introducing legislation to ban assault-style weapons across the country. It was interrupted when the pandemic caused Parliament to be suspended. We have every intention of moving forward on that measure, and potentially other measures, when Parliament returns."

The Liberals committed during the fall election campaign to outlawing military-style assault rifles, including the semi-automatic AR-15, and said they planned to empower provinces and cities to take steps to manage the storage and use of handguns within their own jurisdictions.
Before the pandemic struck, Public Safety Minister Bill Blair had been developing a list of prohibited weapons that will include specific makes, models and descriptions.
It's not clear yet what kind of weapon Wortman was using.
"I am very much open to moving forward with our gun control legislation. I think there is always going to be questions of when is the right moment to do that," Trudeau said.
Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer also offered his condolences as the country waits for more details about the investigation.
"First and foremost I would like to send our support to the victims and we are going to wait until we have all the details on this issue. We need to have all the facts and then we will be able to make decisions on that," he said earlier this morning.