leafs

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
No cheers for this hat trick at Maple Leafs game

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Feb 20, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read
This was one hockey hat trick that didn't receive a standing ovation from Toronto Maple Leafs fans.
A video posted to TikTok by @jerryjonespop shows an unidentified man throwing Leafs fan John Hamilton’s hat on to the ice after Austin Matthews scored a hat trick in last Thursday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers.
This was one hockey hat trick that didn’t receive a standing ovation from Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

Particularly, from 40-year season-ticket holder John Hamilton.

While he, and LeafsNation, cheered on Auston Matthews’ much-appreciated three-goal performance — his sixth of the season — Thursday against the Philadelphia Flyers at the Scotiabank Arena, the sneaky hat trick perpetrated on the Cambridge man by a fan sitting behind him was something worthy of a game misconduct.

If you didn’t see the viral video, when Matthews potted his third goal of the night, fans threw their hats on to the ice to mark the occasion. Hamilton’s brown Stetson fedora was thrown over the glass, too.

But not by Hamilton — or with his permission.

A man wearing a blue Maple Leafs sweater, who was seated behind him in Section 109, hammed it up for the camera for a second before sneakily taking Hamilton’s hat off his head and flinging it on to the ice in what appeared to be an internet video prank.

“I was surprised,” said the 73-year-old retired businessman. “I thought it was a joke at first, too, until I saw my hat on the ice.”

Hamilton admitted, regrettably, he hurled some foul language at the guy who is seen on video, saying “he told me to.’”

While we don’t know the reason, his mindset or background of the individual caught on camera, we do have an open mind to hear his side of it or any other mitigating factors. Maybe there is something we don’t know. But what we do know is he didn’t say he was sorry.

John Hamilton is pictured on Feb. 20, 2024. (Jack Boland, Toronto Sun)
“The guy definitely did not apologize,” said Hamilton Tuesday.

So, an apology is still owed to him. The problem is, he hasn’t been identified.

“His buddy apologized over and over and bought myself and my guests a beer,” said Hamilton. “But nothing from the guy, who must have been embarrassed and took off after all the people were yelling at him.”

So, the identity of mystery hat thrower remains a mystery. Unlike the beer thrower at the Blue Jays playoff game who was eventually busted by today’s camera technology, this person should be easier to identify.

“My friends told me in today’s world when something goes around on social media they can lose their job,” said Hamilton.

That’s what happened to the baseball guy.

“I wouldn’t want that to happen,” said Hamilton. “I would accept an apology for sure, forgive him and move on. I got my hat back, and we have done stupid things in our youth.”

But this was pretty stupid.

“The lesson in all of this is don’t be an a******,” posted Kurtis From Alberta (@Leafguy403) on X who helped me track Hamilton down. “Don’t ruin another person’s enjoyment to get clicks or 15-seconds fame.”

And, The Toronto Sun has learned, it may have been premediated.

“After Matthews scored the second goal, the guy said to me, ‘Are you going to throw your hat over if he scores the third?'” Hamilton said. “I told him, ‘No way. I love this hat.” I have different fedoras for different games. I would never throw away one of my expensive hats.”

Soon after Matthews’ hat trick, there went Hamilton’s beloved hat. Hamilton is also sure this guy didn’t throw his own hat over “because he wasn’t wearing a hat.”

He threw a senior citizen’s hat, instead. The good news is Hamilton got his hat back — one of 15 custom-made lids he owns, in addition to 15 Maple Leafs sweaters. The sweater he had on for this game is signed by Dave Keon.

“I didn’t even have to look for my hat thanks to the amazing usherette in our section. She told me, ‘I knew you wouldn’t have thrown it out there.’ I want to thank them all for getting my hat back so quickly.”

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment said they were able to return the hat before security was even involved.

A tip of the hat to the Leafs game staff. But there is still one loose end.

Who’s the guy behind the only hat trick that Leafs fans didn’t want to see?

And will he apologize?
1708589495591.png1708589650057.png

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
No cheers for this hat trick at Maple Leafs game

Author of the article:Joe Warmington
Published Feb 20, 2024 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read
This was one hockey hat trick that didn't receive a standing ovation from Toronto Maple Leafs fans.
A video posted to TikTok by @jerryjonespop shows an unidentified man throwing Leafs fan John Hamilton’s hat on to the ice after Austin Matthews scored a hat trick in last Thursday’s game against the Philadelphia Flyers.
This was one hockey hat trick that didn’t receive a standing ovation from Toronto Maple Leafs fans.

Particularly, from 40-year season-ticket holder John Hamilton.

While he, and LeafsNation, cheered on Auston Matthews’ much-appreciated three-goal performance — his sixth of the season — Thursday against the Philadelphia Flyers at the Scotiabank Arena, the sneaky hat trick perpetrated on the Cambridge man by a fan sitting behind him was something worthy of a game misconduct.

If you didn’t see the viral video, when Matthews potted his third goal of the night, fans threw their hats on to the ice to mark the occasion. Hamilton’s brown Stetson fedora was thrown over the glass, too.

But not by Hamilton — or with his permission.

A man wearing a blue Maple Leafs sweater, who was seated behind him in Section 109, hammed it up for the camera for a second before sneakily taking Hamilton’s hat off his head and flinging it on to the ice in what appeared to be an internet video prank.

“I was surprised,” said the 73-year-old retired businessman. “I thought it was a joke at first, too, until I saw my hat on the ice.”

Hamilton admitted, regrettably, he hurled some foul language at the guy who is seen on video, saying “he told me to.’”

While we don’t know the reason, his mindset or background of the individual caught on camera, we do have an open mind to hear his side of it or any other mitigating factors. Maybe there is something we don’t know. But what we do know is he didn’t say he was sorry.

“The guy definitely did not apologize,” said Hamilton Tuesday.

So, an apology is still owed to him. The problem is, he hasn’t been identified.

“His buddy apologized over and over and bought myself and my guests a beer,” said Hamilton. “But nothing from the guy, who must have been embarrassed and took off after all the people were yelling at him.”

So, the identity of mystery hat thrower remains a mystery. Unlike the beer thrower at the Blue Jays playoff game who was eventually busted by today’s camera technology, this person should be easier to identify.

“My friends told me in today’s world when something goes around on social media they can lose their job,” said Hamilton.

That’s what happened to the baseball guy.

“I wouldn’t want that to happen,” said Hamilton. “I would accept an apology for sure, forgive him and move on. I got my hat back, and we have done stupid things in our youth.”

But this was pretty stupid.

“The lesson in all of this is don’t be an a******,” posted Kurtis From Alberta (@Leafguy403) on X who helped me track Hamilton down. “Don’t ruin another person’s enjoyment to get clicks or 15-seconds fame.”

And, The Toronto Sun has learned, it may have been premediated.

“After Matthews scored the second goal, the guy said to me, ‘Are you going to throw your hat over if he scores the third?'” Hamilton said. “I told him, ‘No way. I love this hat.” I have different fedoras for different games. I would never throw away one of my expensive hats.”

Soon after Matthews’ hat trick, there went Hamilton’s beloved hat. Hamilton is also sure this guy didn’t throw his own hat over “because he wasn’t wearing a hat.”

He threw a senior citizen’s hat, instead. The good news is Hamilton got his hat back — one of 15 custom-made lids he owns, in addition to 15 Maple Leafs sweaters. The sweater he had on for this game is signed by Dave Keon.

“I didn’t even have to look for my hat thanks to the amazing usherette in our section. She told me, ‘I knew you wouldn’t have thrown it out there.’ I want to thank them all for getting my hat back so quickly.”

Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment said they were able to return the hat before security was even involved.

A tip of the hat to the Leafs game staff. But there is still one loose end.

Who’s the guy behind the only hat trick that Leafs fans didn’t want to see?

And will he apologize?
View attachment 21246View attachment 21247
i hope he will be fired and banned. :(