Is penal labour acceptable?

Should prisoners be given a chance to work?

• Yes.

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • No.

Votes: 2 7.4%
  • Other answer.

Votes: 4 14.8%

• Total voters

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
That's about the same as welfare.

Yup. You can't even get Nicorettes or patches even if you can afford them.
In BC now, everyone can apply for free Nicorette or patches free of charge, courtesy of the gov't. The inmates cannot smoke inside but they do have a smoking area outside. Like everyone else, they can smoke within a 10 foot area away from the facility.

Well done Petros. You've hit the nail on the head. If we could "force" them to do anything, it should be rehab/therapy. They should have to attend in order to eat.
That is a problem. The therapy is available to them. However, it is their choice and forcing would not help them anyway. It would have the same effect as forcing someone to quit smoking. The smoker when forced to quit will only quit for as long as it takes to get a cigarette. Forcing an inmate into rehab has the same effect. Judges order therapy. People go because they have been ordered to do so but nothing changes until they want it to. AA is another great example. You cannot change a person who does not see the need to do so. Mean and vile people do not see themselves as such. They put the blame on everyone else.

lone wolf

Grossly Underrated
Nov 25, 2006
In the bush near Sudbury

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
In BC now, everyone can apply for free Nicorette or patches free of charge, courtesy of the gov't. The inmates cannot smoke inside but they do have a smoking area outside. Like everyone else, they can smoke within a 10 foot area away from the facility.
Zero smoking or cessation aids allowed in Fed and Provincial prisons and jails in SK since 2001.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
The key words here being Corrections Corp. of America. Please believe me when I tell you I know about over crowded instituions. Too many in one cell causes trouble. There is no worry (even before recent changes by gov't) that there will not be a high demand for Correctional Facilities.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Corrections Corp. of America is for profit private company. The more inmates they get the more their shares and dividends are worth.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
Zero smoking or cessation aids allowed in Fed and Provincial prisons and jails in SK since 2001.
Only about a week ago, the BC Gov't introduced the ability for all citizens to have free aid regarding quitting smoking. Inmates are allowed to vote, therefore I believe they will also be allowed the aids to help them quit and they do have a smoking area outside the bldg.
You cannot smoke inside any public place in BC including restaurant patio's. You have to smoke at least 10 feet away from the entrance to the building or even from the bldg. itself.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Only about a week ago, the BC Gov't introduced the ability for all citizens to have free aid regarding quitting smoking. Inmates are allowed to vote, therefore I believe they will also be allowed the aids to help them quit and they do have a smoking area outside the bldg.
You cannot smoke inside any public place in BC including restaurant patio's. You have to smoke at least 10 feet away from the entrance to the building or even from the bldg. itself.
Been like that here for longer. Patches and gum aren't covered but Champix is through Rx.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
In many cases those in prison are those who fell through the cracks in the system
in the first place. They are lacking in education or they did not have the opportunity
to get a proper education.
Now they are in prison and we as a society expect them to work and rightfully so.
Here is where I differ from some people. I think work should be part of the program,
and not just manual labour or low skilled labour. We should divide the prison system
into two groups, one we house people who are salvageable and could re-enter society
as productive citizens. The second group are those who are not getting out and have
been give chance after chance.
Those who can be given a new shot at life should receive an education, and training
for a trade or what ever else they want to pursue. Yes we would pay but then we
would have a person back in society with some hope, some drive and a trade, That
person would be working, paying taxes and contributing to society. Work in prison
would also give them a new view of the world, and would be constructive.
Instead of making work a punishment why not make it part of the education system?

In fact for many offences, we could set some bonus goals, if the person came out of
prison and worked at their trade and became a societal success story for a long enough
period of time they would receive a pardon based on their successful efforts.
That would be far more productive that using work as a punishment and having them do
menial tasks without training or a chance for advancement.
So yes, people in prison should work, like us it would teach self discipline and change
the thought process that put them in jail in the first place but there has to be some
incentive that allows them to progress to the point of wanting to join society instead of
having prisons as fortified warehouses of our next round of problems.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
How did those people become heinous monsters in the first place? The issues that would need to be dealt with first and foremost are crime prevention and mental health funding.
Some mental illnesses such as psychopaths or sociopathic psychopaths cannot be cured. We have a FM in your province in a Correctional Facility. He is a sociopath. Went to prison in the early 80's with an "indefinite sentence" and while there is no such sentence anymore, his has not been changed. He was in his 20's and is now in his 50's. We have not seen him since 1983. I would not sleep if he was in the same house as I am, over-night. He's had all kinds of treatments. He has also apparently become somewhat religious. Chances are, he will die in prison. He used to write to us everytime he was coming up for parole. The letters could have been photo copies of the first one he ever wrote. The words never changed, the story was always the same. He quit writing years ago so I assume he either doesn't try for parole or he knows the letters are not working. We answered his letters. I thought he had the right to know that he was a Grandfather. I recently wrote and told him so. His idiotic sister wanted to know if my letter was to twist the knife a little harder. Would you think I was putting a knife in your back and twisting it if you were incarcerated and did not know anything about your children and did not know you had grandchildren, and I told you about them?

Evil is one thing but it's not evil that is breaking into my garage and stealing my tools. It's a warped mind.
Or just someone who has been taught that it's okay to steal.

Nuggler

kind and gentle
Feb 27, 2006
Backwater, Ontario.
Joyceville Ont. prison had a flourishing dairy herd and farm. the man closed it down.

Burritts Rapids Ont.prison farm had a dairy and crop thing going, crops to feed people as well as livestock. the man closed it down.

Looks like the man don't want the penals using their penals

There comes a time when the penal just won't work............................er so they say.:lol:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Q. What is a typical day like for an incarcerated offender?
A. Inmates are up by 7:00 am and begin a work or program assignment by 8:00. During the day inmates may attend education programs, treatment programs, counseling with corrections workers, be employed in prison workshops, work in the kitchen or clean the institution.
In the evening inmates have the opportunity to engage in recreational, social and cultural activities. Visits with family members may take place when inmates are not working or attending programs. They are secured in their living quarters by 10:30 pm.

Adult Corrections - Corrections, Public Safety and Policing - Government of Saskatchewan

SLM

The Velvet Hammer
Mar 5, 2011
London, Ontario
Well done Petros. You've hit the nail on the head. If we could "force" them to do anything, it should be rehab/therapy. They should have to attend in order to eat.

Forced into therapy or withhold food. Wow.

There comes a time when the penal just won't work............................er so they say.:lol:

I was waiting for someone to make that joke,lol. :)