Injuns on Film

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
OK, we've accepted that it's politically OK for Native characters to be played by Native actors of any nation, but is it politically correct for a Hawaiian Native to play a continental Injun? If so, how about other Polynesians?

• Haha
Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Clarence "Screaming Buffalo" Swamptown.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
OK, we've accepted that it's politically OK for Native characters to be played by Native actors of any nation, but is it politically correct for a Hawaiian Native to play a continental Injun? If so, how about other Polynesians?
Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson plays everyone & everything. Nobody knows who or what he is and everybody seems to claim him.

Then there was Steven Seagal (and his coat) in several movies…& I think both Steve & his jacket where going for that Native thing….
1702625056412.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So. . . your answer is "Dwayne Johnson! Steven Segal!"

OK, that's responsive.
The Rock, everyone’s favorite, everything, and nobody knows who he is or what he is. He might be Native…he might be from India…he might be from Hawaii…he might be your neighbour, etc…

Seagal for the historical tieback to the spaghetti westerns. Call it tongue in cheek homage to a less politically correct time, to reinforce the direction that things seem to be going in today using actual natives to play natives instead of having Elizabeth Warren playing Pocahontas.

(Oh yeah, & Seagal’s mid-90’s wardrobe, that in itself was pretty Native American, before he started wearing weird geisha like stuff)

To swing back to the opening post, let’s go with Lorne Cardinal. His most memorable role with me is the police chief in Corner Gas.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The Rock, everyone’s favorite, everything, and nobody knows who he is or what he is. He might be Native…he might be from India…he might be from Hawaii…he might be your neighbour, etc…
He's Black. With the usual intermixture of White.
Seagal for the historical tieback to the spaghetti westerns. Call it tongue in cheek homage to a less politically correct time, to reinforce the direction that things seem to be going in today using actual natives to play natives instead of having Elizabeth Warren playing Pocahontas.
Still not responsive. Native Hawaiians usually get roped into all the Congressional initiatives regarding Induns. Should we follow our wise legislators in our treatment of them?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I think I’m on the wrong track and I thought we were labelling off our favourite native American actors? That’s where I was going with things, so I misunderstood the whole thread.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I think I’m on the wrong track and I thought we were labelling off our favourite native American actors? That’s where I was going with things, so I misunderstood the whole thread.
Well then, allow me to reiterate. . .

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
When I was letting the dogs out for a pee in the night last night, I guess I was a little clueless and not really awake. Same again early this morning before the coffee kicked in.

Weird question, but are there enough native actors from each Nation (I think what you’re calling Nations we call Bands, but I could be wrong here, and it wouldn’t even be the first time in this thread) to satisfy the requirements of having proper representation from each band for each roll?

There are some outstanding native actors (like Adam Beach, who’s also Canadian), but I don’t know about the shear volume for representation.

Not to be insensitive, but branching out further and distinguishing between Hawaiians and other Polynesians, is that an issue for Hawaiians & other Polynesians (?) roll-wise I mean?

Up here, I could see there being an issue between, let’s say, Plains Cree & Dene actors playing rolls written for the other, as there’s some pretty strong….prejudice… between the two ethnic subgroups, but that comes more from how the government has divided them between entitled for rights & not.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Weird question, but are there enough native actors from each Nation (I think what you’re calling Nations we call Bands, but I could be wrong here, and it wouldn’t even be the first time in this thread) to satisfy the requirements of having proper representation from each band for each roll?
Yep. As I said, we have pretty much accepted having actors of one nation play characters of another (as you say, Salteau Adam Beach as Navajo Tribal Policeman Jim Chee and the GREAT Cherokee actor Wes Studi as Navajos, Apaches, Lakotah, what-have-you).

But for some reason, we call "Alaska Natives" and "Native Hawaiians" just that, separate from "Native Americans." even though we treat them the same. Does Canada do the same with the Arctic peoples, or do y'all lump 'em all together?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
But for some reason, we call "Alaska Natives" and "Native Hawaiians" just that, separate from "Native Americans." even though we treat them the same. Does Canada do the same with the Arctic peoples, or do y'all lump 'em all together?
Inuit & Dene see themselves as something very different. I’ve lived in the north, so I know, but most wouldn’t.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Ok ok ok. Seriously. There might not be a disconnect.

-the-history-of-hawaiians-in-pacific-canada/[/URL]
There were Hawaiians on the B.C. coast for at least 1000 years before Columbus failed his navigation test. As well as people from many other Pacific seafaring nations.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The original tiki torch parade.
1702731913850.jpeg
Honestly, I’ve never thought of the natives in Alaska as Alaska natives, or the natives in Hawaii has Hawaii natives, or even as American natives….& as far as the Hawaiian branch goes, I’ve just thought of them as Polynesians…. Never made that distinction.

The natives in Alaska were just natives in Alaska mentally for me I guess. never dawned on me to try and break that down as part of an American thing. In hindsight, I guess yourself as an American, would see them as branches of America, and then would have those mental subdivisions. I get it, but I’ve never thought that myself.
OK, your question in the opening post is making more sense now. It was just outside of my mental framework.

So above you’re asking if a Samoan should be able to portray a Hawaiian in a movie without offending the sensibilities of somebody or another? Both being Polynesian… And maybe my example question above isn’t a great one because I think Samoa has ties to America too…. but anyway, if it doesn’t offend other Polynesians, should it offend anybody else? Does that island cross pollination in actor role, selection, offend, other Polynesians?

Does a Hawaiian (I guess being an American native to Americans anyway) playing a movie roll as a “continental” aboriginal offend, the non-island continent based Native population? Or vice versa? If it doesn’t offend those two populations, then the rest of us shouldn’t give a shit. If it does, then it needs to be mentally revisited.
…But for some reason, we call "Alaska Natives" and "Native Hawaiians" just that, separate from "Native Americans." even though we treat them the same.
I don’t think we do. I think that’s an American thing. I don’t think Canadians do anyway, but maybe that’s just me.
Does Canada do the same with the Arctic peoples, or do y'all lump 'em all together?
For those that have never been in the north or lived in the north, maybe? For those that do have that experience though, that would be a big negative.

I think this is more national thing than an aboriginal thing. Seriously. I don’t know how Americans think of Alaskan based native people. It never dawned on me that you would think of them differently.

On the Canadian side of the borders (plural) when you factor in the Alaskan Canadian border also… the aboriginal population in the north see themselves differently. They’ve been treated differently by government.

First, the Inuit are not Eskimos. if you make that mistake, you might get a punch in the mouth for your terminology. They are not treaty people So they see themselves as something different. If you’re in a bar in the north…. You don’t mistake Inuit for Dene, or Dene for Cree, as you might get that literal or figurative punch in the mouth again.

Weird question for you. Did America bother with the reservation system in Alaska? Are there reservations up there? Did the Continental US want the land that was underneath the aboriginals up there enough to bother with a reservation system??