Oct 26, 2009
Iceberg with archway in centre draws onlookers to eastern Newfoundland cove
Canadian Press
More from Canadian Press
Published:
June 5, 2018
Updated:
June 5, 2018 9:36 AM EDT
An iceberg is seen in Amherst Cove, N.L. on June 4, 2018 in this handout photo.
AMHERST COVE, N.L. — An unusually shaped iceberg is drawing onlookers to a small cove in eastern Newfoundland.
The iceberg has a hollow archway carved in the middle and appears to be grounded in the waters just off a Bonavista peninsula community in Upper Amherst Cove.
Photographers have been sharing their shots of the iceberg on social media, prompting people to head to the area north of Clarenville.
The iceberg was known as the Kings Cove iceberg, but was renamed the Amherst Cove iceberg when it drifted across the bay.
The arrival comes after a lacklustre iceberg season in a province known for the prized tourist attraction.
One whale watching and iceberg tour company says it’s seen fewer than 10 icebergs since the province’s prime iceberg season kicked off at the start of May.
Normally, it would have seen 40 to 50 by now.
Last year, Newfoundland and Labrador enjoyed a phenomenal iceberg season, with more than a thousand of the glacial beauties counted off the coast of the province.

Iceberg with archway in centre draws onlookers to eastern Newfoundland cove | Toronto Sun

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Imagine living in a country where you have icebergs off your coastline... in summer.

We don't even have them in winter.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
God’s creation has endless beauty.

I have a vivid picture in my mind of July 1st, 1974 on a small naval vessel in those waters north of Newfoundland. It was a bright, sunny day with water as blue as a saphire, dotted with huge bergs and a whale moving fast across our bow and breaching every minute or so. It was stunningly beautiful. Chilly, too.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I had a great day out in Blackpool yesterday. Went to the Sea Life Centre where I stroked a starfish, saw sharks and rays and the biggest turtle I've ever seen swimming around in a huge tank; went to the top of Blackpool Tower (I could see great views for miles); saw a Spitfire and bought a .303 bullet from the plane's Browning machine gun; went into some amusement arcades and a couple of bars; saw the famous rollercoaster, one of the steepest, tallest and fastest in the world; and was mobbed by seagulls whilst walking along the beach eating fish and chips. I didn't see any icebergs, though. It was hot and sunny. The only thing I saw out in the Irish Sea was a weirdly-shaped buoy which looked creepily like Godzilla rising up out of the waves and heading towards the beach.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
I had a great day out in Blackpool yesterday. Went to the Sea Life Centre where I stroked a starfish, saw sharks and rays and the biggest turtle I've ever seen swimming around in a huge tank; went to the top of Blackpool Tower (I could see great views for miles); saw a Spitfire and bought a .303 bullet from the plane's Browning machine gun; went into some amusement arcades and a couple of bars; saw the famous rollercoaster, one of the steepest, tallest and fastest in the world; and was mobbed by seagulls whilst walking along the beach eating fish and chips. I didn't see any icebergs, though. It was hot and sunny. The only thing I saw out in the Irish Sea was a weirdly-shaped buoy which looked creepily like Godzilla rising up out of the waves and heading towards the beach.

Did you buy an ice lolly (trying to keep it on theme)?

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Did you buy an ice lolly (trying to keep it on theme)?

No. I bought a burger (which was mostly eaten by the divebombing seagulls) and I played on a cool Space Invaders game in one of the myriad amusement arcades which involved sitting in a seat and shooting a gun at the bastards on a large screen, for which I won 92 tickets which I was able to trade in for a prize (a football keyring and a small packet of Fudgie Wudgie).

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Burger ... Berg. You're getting warmer.

I found an empty crab shell on the beach. Some seagull must have had him. And an old lady walked up to me on the beach and told me she had been watching me walking along the beach for a while and thought (wrongly) that I had been rescuing a seagull that she had seen buried alive almost up to its neck in the sand. And at the top of Blackpool Tower there were several plaques on the wall telling us facts about the tower and the town, with one declaring there are more hotels in Blackpool than in Portugal. So it was a grand day out. No iceberg, though.

Curious Cdn

Hall of Fame Member
Feb 22, 2015
Icebergs are magnificent and massive. Sailing in and around them is as spectacular as driving the Icefields Parkway in the Rocky Mountains.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
I've just worked it out: 254,000 Blackpool Towers (almost exactly) laid end to end would fit around the equator.

darkbeaver

the universe is electric
Jan 26, 2006
RR1 Distopia 666 Discordia
There ain,t no shortage of ice bergs. Ice bergs break off because of ice loads not because of melting.Global warming is bullshtt remember the bullshtters. It,s not even spring here yet.

Nova Scotia is a month out of whack with the usual (contemporary) idea of spring, it,s still fukkin april here.