How Is Your Garden Coming Along?

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Ours aren’t as tall this year, but they’ve gone into bud early. The ones that have survived the old dog I mean.

He’s another year older, and he knows, year to year, to expect that stuff to be growing there for him. He’s something like 17 years old now, and once things are a foot or two tall, he wanders around sampling plants until he finds the right ones….Then he prefers the small low tender leaves initially anyway.

Later in the season, even though he’s a short dog, he just clamps on around a branch and Backs up…stripping the whole branch…. Then he chews it up like a redneck with chew. He self medicates. Makes him feel better. Younger even for a couple of hours… then he gets the munchies and has a nap, and repeats.

• Haha
Reactions: bill barilko

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
This is from a month ago. Less lawn fertilizer but we’ve been dumping the water from Aquarium changes (Lisa is down to just 5 or 6 aquariums now) in the garden….plus the difference in weather year to year as the only real changes.
1692395113452.jpeg
Two or three (the years run together) years back when we had those months of hot muggy weather, after 2 months of wind, we had 8ft tall plants that we had to flip outdoors, then bring inside and they didn’t Bud until November….but the dog was really happy.
1692395361935.jpeg
1692395377667.jpeg

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Look good. They dont really grow until August.

That is just 5 of 9 in the pic.

BTW I still have killer decorative rocks/fossils to give away. Fossilized coral, badass mudstone and a shale concretion encrusted in tiny mussels but if cracked in half probably has an ammonite or bacculite at its core.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Look good. They dont really grow until August.

That is just 5 of 9 in the pic.

BTW I still have killer decorative rocks/fossils to give away. Fossilized coral, badass mudstone and a shale concretion encrusted in tiny mussels but if cracked in half probably has an ammonite or bacculite at its core.
Lisa would be ecstatic. Downscaled the number of aquariums but they’re bigger. They could find an aquatic home.
1692409531610.jpeg
1692409549471.jpeg
1692409565555.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Two of the three would work in the tanks but the shale concretion is oily. Petroleum oily.

I'll see what else I have kicking around too. I need to lighten the load.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Nicely done. Ours are much smaller than other years, but they’re doing this already:
1692490884814.jpeg
1692490908736.jpeg
1692490936828.jpeg
I think it’s the fish poop from the aquarium water changes, and some dumb luck. The old dog’s gonna love it. Below is the one in the living room that he’s pretty much done savaging at this point:
1692491137493.jpeg
It’s like Charlie Brown’s Christmas Tree.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Very nice. You have shade or autoflower? Mine are full sun and just starting to flower. We're still 60 - 70 days from hard nightly frosts below -6°.

The colder the better and we always have fantastic sun remaining.

No shortage of sugars stored up to make stinky sticky antifreeze.

20230819_153432.jpg

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I'm not sure which is which. Planted pink kush, pineapple express, violator, ice cream cake, afghanxskunk, orange sorbet. gelato and two more being random.
Holy Cow. I’ve no idea what we planted. I pick out the darkest looking ones….Then I give them a little squeeze, and if they squish, I throw them away, and if they don’t squish….They go into a peat pod. It’s not very scientific, but it seems to work.

We pulled and fed three or four plants to the old dog five or six weeks ago when we could see that they were going to be males. Other years we’ve gotten lucky and everything turns out to be a female but not this year. For us it’s just totally random.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Holy Cow. I’ve no idea what we planted. I pick out the darkest looking ones….Then I give them a little squeeze, and if they squish, I throw them away, and if they don’t squish….They go into a peat pod. It’s not very scientific, but it seems to work.

We pulled and fed three or four plants to the old dog five or six weeks ago when we could see that they were going to be males. Other years we’ve gotten lucky and everything turns out to be a female but not this year. For us it’s just totally random.
I have all fem seeds. Keeps it easy.

Which gets made into hash remains to be seen.

Yum

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Every so often, you just find a seed here and find a seed there…& we throw them in a little bottle and forget about them until the spring. We’ve never bought seeds, and we’re literally growing the stuff for the old dog (and as conversation pieces)….& the dog has yet to complain.
1692499518173.jpegA couple years ago we did pull the biggest buds off of one that finished in the living room in November-ish, and put away an ounce or two (it was quite “Lemony”), but we usually just give it to the old dog.
1692499537655.jpeg
We pull the males as soon as we recognize them though, so we don’t end up with seeds of our own, but we usually have several dozen by the next spring to just fake it again.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Every so often, you just find a seed here and find a seed there…& we throw them in a little bottle and forget about them until the spring. We’ve never bought seeds, and we’re literally growing the stuff for the old dog (and as conversation pieces)….& the dog has yet to complain.
View attachment 19035A couple years ago we did pull the biggest buds off of one that finished in the living room in November-ish, and put away an ounce or two (it was quite “Lemony”), but we usually just give it to the old dog.
View attachment 19036
We pull the males as soon as we recognize them though, so we don’t end up with seeds of our own, but we usually have several dozen by the next spring to just fake it again.
I'll see what I can put together for a seed pack for you....and a sack of lentils. It's almost curry season.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
i vaguely recall someone who grafted something like 50 different trees together. :cool: i would have posted the website address, but i don't recall what it was. :(

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
i vaguely recall someone who grafted something like 50 different trees together. :cool: i would have posted the website address, but i don't recall what it was. :(
My father did this for one of our neighbours. On an existing Apple tree He grafted three other species…. So that, depending on which side of the tree were on, you can get one of four different kinds of apples.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
My father did this for one of our neighbours. On an existing Apple tree He grafted three other species…. So that, depending on which side of the tree were on, you can get one of four different kinds of apples.
You can’t grow a specific apple cultivar from seed. Every commercial apple cultivar is from a single seed and propagated by grafting.