Hard drugs to be decriminalized in British Columbia

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I like 'em both.

Here's where I get revolutionary (and agree with BC). . . it should not be illegal to possess or use any drug. Make 'em? Yep. Sell 'em? Yep. But not to buy, possess, or use them.
Been my thought for about 40 years now. Addictions are a disease, and need to be treated as such, not as a criminal process. Unfortunately, in BC, we don't punish the importers and sellers either.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Cut off the naloxone.
That’s also somewhat Darwinian, and let the natural (?) chain of events run their course? Eventually the junkies weed themselves out of the gene pool, while dealers & organized crime keep trying to find new and innovative ways to hide fentanyl in other things that people might consume to turn them into further junkies.

Eventually they get thinner on the ground and back to a manageable number so we can then start looking at viable solutions for the remainder? Is that the first step? Could take a generation, then the current “solutions” that aren’t working might work?

Reactions: petros

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Trouble is, naloxone only works on opiates. So, while it might save someone unfortunate enough to smoke a joint laced with fentanyl, it does nothing for the myriad of other bad drugs that are taken alone, or sometimes mixed in with other safer drugs.
Anyways, I'm done with the middle of the night naloxone runs.

Reactions: petros

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
That’s also somewhat Darwinian, and let the natural (?) chain of events run their course? Eventually the junkies weed themselves out of the gene pool, while dealers & organized crime keep trying to find new and innovative ways to hide fentanyl in other things that people might consume to turn them into further junkies.

Eventually they get thinner on the ground and back to a manageable number so we can then start looking at viable solutions for the remainder? Is that the first step? Could take a generation, then the current “solutions” that aren’t working might work?
Why are we saving lost causes? Dealers use naloxone too.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Trouble is, naloxone only works on opiates. So, while it might save someone unfortunate enough to smoke a joint laced with fentanyl, it does nothing for the myriad of other bad drugs that are taken alone, or sometimes mixed in with other safer drugs.
Anyways, I'm done with the middle of the night naloxone runs.
We wait for summer all year long, but then dread the trifecta….Hot weather & gov’t $ & full (or new) moon. Irony…& it can be Baby Bonus (20th-ish) or GST/Carbon$ (5th-ish) or Welfare/Dole (middle/end of months) or whatever new handouts that haven’t come down the pipe yet in the vote purchasing process leading to Oct 20th 2025.
1710020267082.jpeg
Why are we saving lost causes? Dealers use naloxone too.
Dragging out the usable lifespan of their clientele until they’re tossed away for replacements? Used for their own use?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

I've thought of this. Don't know if it would help or hurt, but here goes. . .

Set up government-run dispensaries for coke, barbs, heroin, etc. You come in, you walk past racks and racks of "How To Get Off This Shit" literature, you get to a counter where you can buy one dose, at the actual production price (a fraction of the street price), which you must use on the spot. Come back as often as you need to. Accompany with draconian penalties for black-market dealing.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
We wait for summer all year long, but then dread the trifecta….Hot weather & gov’t $ & full (or new) moon. Irony…& it can be Baby Bonus (20th-ish) or GST/Carbon$ (5th-ish) or Welfare/Dole (middle/end of months) or whatever new handouts that haven’t come down the pipe yet in the vote purchasing process leading to Oct 20th 2025.
View attachment 21392

Dragging out the usable lifespan of their clientele until they’re tossed away for replacements? Used for their own use?
Homeless/Addiction Industrial Complex

Reactions: Taxslave2

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I've thought of this. Don't know if it would help or hurt, but here goes. . .

Set up government-run dispensaries for coke, barbs, heroin, etc. You come in, you walk past racks and racks of "How To Get Off This Shit" literature, you get to a counter where you can buy one dose, at the actual production price (a fraction of the street price), which you must use on the spot. Come back as often as you need to. Accompany with draconian penalties for black-market dealing.
I would like to see mandatory rehab, or at least some education included.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I would like to see mandatory rehab, or at least some education included.
I disagree, and I'll tell you exactly why. I don't think mandatory (i.e., involuntary) rehab has a good success rate. At a minimum you have to want to get clean.

I will add to my proposal above an on-site counsellor to walk anybody who asks through how to get help.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
B.C. is the only jurisdiction in Canada to decriminalize possession of small amounts of illicit substances, and take a provincial approach to prescribing alternatives to illicit drugs, an intervention limited to small programs and pilot projects elsewhere.

B.C. nurses have been speaking out about safety concerns related to patient drug use. BC Nurses’ Union president Adriane Gear said that while there has always been some degree of illicit drug use in care spaces, it “appears” (?) to have increased since B.C.’s drug decriminalization pilot began early last year.

British Columbia will require all of its hospitals to provide a designated space for patients with substance-use disorders to consume illicit drugs, prompted by concerns that an increase in such activity in prohibited hospital areas was putting health care workers at risk.

• Angry
Reactions: Dixie Cup

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
B.C. is the only jurisdiction in Canada to decriminalize possession of small amounts of illicit substances, and take a provincial approach to prescribing alternatives to illicit drugs, an intervention limited to small programs and pilot projects elsewhere.

B.C. nurses have been speaking out about safety concerns related to patient drug use. BC Nurses’ Union president Adriane Gear said that while there has always been some degree of illicit drug use in care spaces, it “appears” (?) to have increased since B.C.’s drug decriminalization pilot began early last year.

British Columbia will require all of its hospitals to provide a designated space for patients with substance-use disorders to consume illicit drugs, prompted by concerns that an increase in such activity in prohibited hospital areas was putting health care workers at risk.
Unintended consequences, who would have thought .

Reactions: Dixie Cup

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
I want a paid for safe beer supply.
When my old landlord was dying in St Pauls he asked for beer and the doctor said OK but he had to pay for his own-Old Style IIRC