Hamas attacks Israel

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Canada abstained from the vote.

The 193-member world body approved resolution 143-9, with 25 abstentions. Palestine became a nonmember observer state to the United Nations in 2012.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canada abstained from the vote.

The 193-member world body approved resolution 143-9, with 25 abstentions. Palestine became a nonmember observer state to the United Nations in 2012.
Israel just lost the war...

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yep, but now they’re potentially a nation, & who’s gonna run it? Israel is just at war with a nation instead of a…whatever the heck Palestine was previous to today?

Is this now any different than Taliban in Afghanistan for example?
Nation within a nation. Kinda like Quebec.

Apparently Israel wants a Palestinian they have in jail to run it. Go figure

Waaaay different than A-Stan, believe it or not Palestinians are moderates. Taliban, not so much.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I can check later, but but maybe you know this offhand. Did Israel declare war against:
1) Palestine?
2) Gaza?
3) Hamas?
They didn't declare war. They declared they are "at war" with Hamas. They couldn't officially declare war in the legal sense because it has to be between two or more States.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
They didn't declare war. They declared they are "at war" with Hamas. They couldn't officially declare war in the legal sense because it has to be between two or more States.
Interesting. So what now? Gaza is part of Palestine, Hamas governs & rules Gaza.

Israel was “at war” with Hamas, so what’s the status now?? Israel declares war on Gaza or Hamas in Gaza or the Gaza portion of Palestine or Palestine as a whole or Hamas in the Gaza portion of Palestine assuming Palestine has official borders, etc…??

Regardless of the UN’s vote, Hamas & Friends still attacked Israel on that date between Oct 6th & 8th…& still abducted 250-ish people and murdered another 1200-ish…& still are holding about 130-ish hostages & corpses of hostages from Israel regardless of their status of statehood or not.

So now is it Palestine & not Hamas that’s responsible for the 130-ish Hostage or corpse of Hostages from Israel? Or is it not their problem ‘cuz that happened “pre-5/9/24-statehood” or whatever it is?

I’m assuming there’s gonna be some reciprocity with respect to responsibility on both Israel & now-Palestine…but what and how (?) and what’s Hamas’s status in now-Palestine (I’ve worked all day and I haven’t had a chance to read to understand what the significance of this UN declaration means)?

With this now-statehood or whatever, I’m assuming it comes not just with rights but with responsibilities for Palestine and Palestinians? I will know more in a day or so but right now I know zip.

Perhaps this adds a new significance to the old “Palestinians aren’t Hamas, but Hamas are Palestinians, etc…” thing?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Bibi and Biden plan to block the next phase which is the Security Council. Reason for that would be Israel being nailed with ICC criminal charges. Israel still attacked the West Bank and is still illegally occupying it. They'd have no choice but leave and allow those who were bulldozed and fled to return with Israel being on the hook for reparations.

I still don't get how you think Hamas still exists as a functional organization.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Palestine's status on the world stage was significantly upgraded Friday in a vote at the United Nations that gives it all the powers of a full member state, except for voting rights??

The United States, Papua New Guineau, Paulau, Nauru, Micronesia, Israel, Hungary, Czechia and Argentina voted against the resolution? Canada abstained from the vote, but so what?

(The Americans argued that the Israelis and Palestinians needed to first negotiate a peace agreement and a two-state solution to the conflict)

Under the U.N. Charter, prospective members of the United Nations must be “peace-loving,” and the Security Council must recommend their admission to the General Assembly for final approval. Palestine became a U.N. non-member observer state in 2012.
Bibi and Biden plan to block the next phase which is the Security Council. Reason for that would be Israel being nailed with ICC criminal charges. Israel still attacked the West Bank and is still illegally occupying it. They'd have no choice but leave and allow those who were bulldozed and fled to return with Israel being on the hook for reparations.
Ok, What are the borders of Palestine based off of then? Just curious? The borders as of today? 1967? 1966? 1948? Etc…? What is Israel leaving based upon what criteria? I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m saying I don’t know & have questions, & I am probably not the only one.
I still don't get how you think Hamas still exists as a functional organization.
Does Hamas think it still exists as a functional organization? If it doesn’t, and it isn’t, who have Egypt & Qatar & the USA been middlemen in negotiations with between Israel & _________? Who is responsible for returning Israelis hostages to Israel? The non-Hamas & Friends?

The (back to the UN Membership thing) resolution “determines” that a state of Palestine is qualified for membership — dropping the original language that in the General Assembly’s judgment it is “a peace-loving state.” It therefore recommends that the Security Council reconsider its request “favorably.” (???)

With the rights bestowed upon Palestine today by the UN with its acceptance as member status (except for votes) to Palestine, what responsibilities go along with these rights?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So… maybe in a few days this will become clearer, but it’s kind of a dogs breakfast of information right now, without really saying much of anything.
I’m “assuming” the borders of Palestine will eventually be based off of pre-1967 borders…once Israel & Palestine negotiations for a two state solution happen eventually, with some land swaps for continuity, etc…but I can’t see that happening when the non-functional Hamas entity still controls the Gaza portion of what Palestine is/might be etc…?

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
So… maybe in a few days this will become clearer, but it’s kind of a dogs breakfast of information right now, without really saying much of anything.
I’m “assuming” the borders of Palestine will eventually be based off of pre-1967 borders…once Israel & Palestine negotiations for a two state solution happen eventually, with some land swaps for continuity, etc…but I can’t see that happening when the non-functional Hamas entity still controls the Gaza portion of what Palestine is/might be etc…?
Does that mean Israel is required to provide electric and water to this new state ? Can they shut off the tap ?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Does that mean Israel is required to provide electric and water to this new state ? Can they shut off the tap ?
I’ve no idea what Responsibilities go along with non-voting UN membership, or what this really means in the long run, but I’m assuming it’ll mean that Palestine will become responsible for itself (?) as opposed to Israel’s responsibility to provide Palestine & Palestinians with power or water or whatever (??) or not?

Then boundaries that would go along with UN membership? It could be based upon 1967 borders (?) or 1949 borders (?) or something else completely different (?) or something else it would still have to negotiate?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The West Bank, including East Jerusalem, has been under military occupation by Israel since 7 June 1967, when Israeli forces captured the territory, then ruled by Jordan, during the Six-Day War.[a] The status of the West Bank as a militarily occupied territory has been affirmed by the International Court of Justice and, with the exception of East Jerusalem, by the Israeli Supreme Court.[1] The official view of the Israeli government is that the laws of belligerent occupation do not apply to the territories, which it considers instead "disputed", and it administers the West Bank, excepting East Jerusalem, under the Israeli Civil Administration, a branch of the Israeli Ministry of Defense.[2][3] Considered to be a classic example of an "intractable conflict",[6][c] the length of Israel's occupation was already regarded as exceptional after two decades, and is now the longest in modern history.[7][d][8][9] Israel has cited several reasons for retaining the West Bank within its ambit: a claim based on the notion of historic rights to this as a homeland as claimed in the Balfour Declaration of 1917; security grounds, both internal and external; and the deep symbolic value for Jews of the area occupied.[10]

An occupying force is fair game for attack....

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The West Bank, including East Jerusalem, has been under military occupation by Israel since 7 June 1967, when Israeli forces captured the territory, then ruled by Jordan, during the Six-Day War.[a]
Yes, that happened…along with Gaza that was occupied & ruled by Egypt among with the Sinai Peninsula (again from Egypt) and the Golan Heights from Syria, the West Bank from Jordan, etc..
The status of the West Bank as a militarily occupied territory has been affirmed by the International Court of Justice and, with the exception of East Jerusalem, by the Israeli Supreme Court.[1] The official view of the Israeli government is that the laws of belligerent occupation do not apply to the territories, which it considers instead "disputed", and it administers the West Bank, excepting East Jerusalem, under the Israeli Civil Administration, a branch of the Israeli Ministry of Defense.[2][3] Considered to be a classic example of an "intractable conflict",[6][c] the length of Israel's occupation was already regarded as exceptional after two decades, and is now the longest in modern history.[7][d][8][9]
And the borders have changed places several times not just in 1967 or 1948, etc..
Israel has cited several reasons for retaining the West Bank within its ambit: a claim based on the notion of historic rights to this as a homeland as claimed in the Balfour Declaration of 1917;
There’s another. The British promised much to many with overlapping promises and this is before the existence of Jordan or Syria or Lebanon as nations I believe…
…security grounds, both internal and external; and the deep symbolic value for Jews of the area occupied.[10]
…and to the Arabs of what’s now Lebanon & Syria & Jordan & Egypt & what’s now claimed by those calling themselves Palestinians.
An occupying force is fair game for attack....
Interesting concept. Based upon which borders from which war or which treaty, etc…I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m saying it’s not a straight line and it’s a debateable situation…and if it wasn’t this whole goat, rodeo wouldn’t be happening right now. Which is the occupying force and where?

Israel returned the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt in exchange for what? The Golan Heights to Syria in exchange for what?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes, that happened…along with Gaza that was occupied & ruled by Egypt among with the Sinai Peninsula (again from Egypt) and the Golan Heights from Syria, the West Bank from Jordan, etc..

And the borders have changed places several times not just in 1967 or 1948, etc..

There’s another. The British promised much to many with overlapping promises and this is before the existence of Jordan or Syria or Lebanon as nations I believe…

…and to the Arabs of what’s now Lebanon & Syria & Jordan & Egypt & what’s now claimed by those calling themselves Palestinians.

Interesting concept. Based upon which borders from which war or which treaty, etc…I’m not saying you’re wrong, but I’m saying it’s not a straight line and it’s a debateable situation…and if it wasn’t this whole goat, rodeo wouldn’t be happening right now. Which is the occupying force and where?

Israel returned the Sinai Peninsula to Egypt in exchange for what? The Golan Heights to Syria in exchange for what?
The borders of Palestine changed since 67? Why? How? Legally?

Why on earth would it not be legal for the occupied to attack the occupying force? Its exactly what's been going on in Ukraine for 10 years. Or is it another guilt thing for Israel to do it? Did Israel liberate the Hebrew speaking Palestinians from the clutches of Avozmas yet? Maybe Israel should try a fake vote at the barrel of a rifle?

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The borders of Palestine changed since 67? Why? How? Legally?
I said the borders changed IN 1967, so you reply by asking my if they’ve changed SINCE 1967? Anyway…

Why 1967? Why not 1948? Why not 1917? Just curious how you chose 1967? I have seen the 1967 date before & read the arguments for and against that date, but wondering why you chose to use it?
Why on earth would it not be legal for the occupied to attack the occupying force?
Which occupying force? Based upon what borders based upon what dates based upon which wars or treaties or declarations and why?
It’s exactly what's been going on in Ukraine for 10 years. Or it it another guilt thing for Israel to do it?
Is it the same? Is it being treated the same by the UN? There’s not a whole Lotta details out about today’s decision regarding UN (non-voting) membership for Palestine….but the few details are that it’s not the same (the treatment for Palestine) as it is between China and Taiwan, Russia and Kosovo, etc….

….so is it exactly what’s been going on between Ukraine & Russia since 2014? Who outside Russia or Ukraine promised parts of Russia to Ukraine or Ukraine to Russia under what treaties or declarations?

I’m hoping in the days to come the significance of this membership, not only with its rights and privileges, but outlining it’s responsibilities, & what this really means…becomes clear because right now it’s just not.

I don’t think the UN granting Palestine non-voting member status carries much weight with respect to its borders or lack there of, and more to do with its voice inside the UN (except to actually vote), but hopefully that’ll come out in more detail one way or the other in the near future.

Palestine inside the UN will become very vocal like a toothless Chihuahua without a vote…and eventually once it negotiates a two state solution with the “other” nation in the two states involved…it may see full membership, but maybe not before then.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
67 is when the occupation of West Bank and Gaza started as posted above.

Who promised an Israel? Nobody. Is that what you've been guilted into believing? All that was ever promised was a place to live IN Palestine when nobody else wanted them in Asia, Europe or the Americas.

Putin invaded Ukraine then declared it Russia just like Jews decided to take up arms and declare an Israel. It's the fucking same. There wasn't a beef with Russians living in Ukraine until the "green men" came along.

Last edited: