Gun Control is Completely Useless.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A Quebec-based anti-gun group declaring it would disinvite Prime Minister Justin Trudeau from the annual commemoration of a 1989 mass shooting because it disapproved of his latest gun-control measure sent several officials within the Public Safety Ministry into damage-control mode looking for ways to respond, documents released under access-to-information show.

The emails reveal that government staffers reacted with concern to news coverage of a March 2021 letter sent to Trudeau from PolySeSouvient, an outspoken Canadian anti-gun group founded by survivors of the 1989 École Polytechnique shooting.

The letter and subsequent coverage expressed the group’s anger over Bill C-21, which the group described as “lamentable.”

In a March 18 French-language article published by Radio-Canada, PolySeSouvient accused Trudeau of “abandoning” and “betraying” victims of Canadian gun violence over the government’s announcement of a voluntary “buy back” program for certain firearms, instead of mandatory confiscation, which PolySeSouvient had demanded.

If the prime minister refused to change the policy, PolySeSouvient said Trudeau would be declared persona non grata at future commemorations of École Polytechnique victims.
Later that year, the Trudeau government adjusted its policy so that its initial voluntary buy back became the mandatory confiscation the group had been demanding. It is in the process of becoming law.

Reactions: Twin_Moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Ghost guns showing up at crime scenes in Canada but RCMP not keeping statistics
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Hina Alam
Published Oct 06, 2023 • 4 minute read
A database is needed to help keep track of privately made ghost guns, which are easy to make and hard to trace, says a historian at Saint Mary's University, in Halifax. The multi-police operation seized 440 guns, including 71 3D-printed ghost guns, across Canada.
A database is needed to help keep track of privately made ghost guns, which are easy to make and hard to trace, says a historian at Saint Mary's University, in Halifax. The multi-police operation seized 440 guns, including 71 3D-printed ghost guns, across Canada.
FREDERICTON — Even as the technology to produce so-called “ghost guns” becomes less expensive and more widespread, the RCMP is not keeping records on how often the weapons are used in crimes across the country.

Ghost guns are firearms without serial numbers that are assembled from individual parts or 3D printers. They are easy to make and hard to trace, and are increasingly showing up at crime scenes in Canada and the United States.

The RCMP doesn’t have a database on 3D guns, printers or how many shootings there have been with the weapons. The force said in an email it has laid charges in several cases in which 3D guns were seized, but it didn’t give numbers.

“This presence is consistent with national and international trends observed, where privately made firearms are being used in criminal activity,” the email said. It noted that 3D print files exist capable of creating a range of firearms, including assault rifles.

The RCMP said they are aware “anecdotally” of several ghost gun seizures in Canada, but they “do not collect statistics on this.”

Blake Brown, a history professor at Saint Mary’s University who studies the history of firearms control in Canada, said national and regional statistics should be kept on how many of the 3D-printed weapons are seized and from what areas. He said the lack of data inflames the gun debate and makes it harder for people to agree on the basic facts.

“With most handguns, if police want to work at it, they can usually trace them — even back to the United States or Europe, wherever they’re made,” Brown said in a recent interview. “But with these (ghost guns), they could change hands multiple times. It can be very, very difficult to figure out where they originated.”

He suggested ghost gun manufacturers and distributors might be discouraged if they faced stiffer criminal penalties.

Police across the continent have been warning people about the guns.

Earlier this year, a Quebec-based anti-gun unit that included RCMP members said it had arrested 45 people and seized 440 guns in raids targeting manufacturers of 3D-printed firearms in eight provinces: Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Last month, a coroner’s inquest heard that the weapons used to murder three people in the Montreal area at random in August 2022 were homemade by the killer.

In the United States, the Justice Department has told the Supreme Court that local law enforcement agencies seized more than 19,000 ghost guns at crime scenes in 2021, a more than tenfold increase in just five years.

Last month, New Brunswick RCMP reminded people of the dangers of ghost guns. “Privately made firearms … can appeal to individuals intending to use them for criminal purposes since they do not have a serial number and are difficult to trace,” the Mounties said.

“Parents, educators, businesses and communities may not be aware of the risks related to privately made firearms, which can be made to resemble harmless toys or real firearms. They are also untested, unpredictable and dangerous.”

Brown said Canada has rigorous regulations on firearms, particularly handguns. But 3D-printed guns upend regulations because they don’t have serial numbers.

Experts say it’s relatively easy for someone to make a gun. All it takes is a 3D printer — which uses a laser to secrete a liquid resin that hardens to form the gun parts — and instructions, which can be found online. Nothing in the Firearms Act or other laws prohibits a person from possessing a digital blueprint for a 3D-printed gun. But possession of the printed firearm without a licence and registration certificate can lead to seizure of the weapon and criminal charges.

“But … if there’s a market, probably some people will take the risk and try to produce these things,” Brown said.

Rod Giltaca of the Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights, a group that opposed Ottawa’s amendments to strengthen gun laws in Canada, said criminals will use the path of least resistance. With 3D printers readily available, he said, criminals are now turning to technology, along with files and instructions available on the internet.

“The best you can do is make possessing 3D printed parts for firearms … illegal somehow,” Giltaca said. “That’s still not going to deter people who weren’t deterred from shooting other people in the first place.”

A.J. Somerset, the Ontario-based author of “Arms: The Culture and Credo of the Gun,” said Canada has been dealing with an increase in printed firearms for about 10 years. But the issue seems to have taken on an urgency as ghost guns get easier to make and the sheer volume of new guns makes them harder to trace.

Somerset said it’s a matter of time before they are used more often in crimes ranging from gas station robberies to murder. And because they are easy to make and dispose of, they can be manufactured for a specific crime, he said.

The guns are likely to change the patterns of criminal activity, he added. “Print that gun, use it for murder, and then throw it away.”

— With files from The Associated Press.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The federal Liberal government has given itself an extra two years to establish a long-promised buyback program for firearms it banned in the wake of the deadly 2020 Nova Scotia shooting rampage.

An amnesty period that was set to expire at the end of the month will now remain in place until Oct. 30, 2025 -- after the next federal election is scheduled to take place. Hmmm…that’s some interesting timing, like a time bomb being left for whomever takes over Governance of Canada at that point, for the Liberals to use for propaganda….

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau announced the ban in May 2020, within days of a gunman in Nova Scotia committing the deadliest mass shooting in modern Canadian history.

The Liberals promised to compensate those who owned such weapons through a buyback program and gave firearms owners a two-year amnesty under the Criminal Code….BUT…they didn’t allocate any funds for the buyback program?

The Liberals promised to compensate those who owned such weapons through a buyback (how do you buyback something that was never theirs to begin with?) program and gave firearms owners a two-year amnesty under the Criminal Code….which has now been extended to a 5-6 year amnesty so it becomes someone else’s problem, or Liberal selfie fodder for when the whole thing is tossed in the dustbin.
1697156987446.jpeg

Wednesday's extension pushes the deadline to 10 days past the day when election law stipulates the next election must be held, though an election could be called sooner.

In a brief statement, a spokesman for Public Safety Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the government is "committed to putting in place a firearms buyback program that will allow law-abiding gun owners to turn in their firearms and be compensated."….BUT…if they’re law abiding gun owners…why are they being forced to turn in their firearms???

Years later, while the government is still in the early stages of sorting out what a compensation program could look like for businesses, Winkel (Wes Winkel, president of the Canadian Sporting Arms and Ammunition Association) said he believes a buyback could be launched by October 2025, at least on the commercial side.

But he added that retailers are frustrated because they have to eat the cost of having to store, warehouse and insure the prohibited firearms.

"We have members that are paying over $30,000 a year just to insure the prohibited inventory."

For Winkel, the Liberals' decision to push back its amnesty order yet again raises questions about whether the ban was really needed as urgently as the government initially insisted.
Etc….

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

I'm surprised that no one's posted about this yet.

GOOD.

Hopefully the father of this murderer also is held accountable.

Be interesting to see what happens now when it comes to school shootings.

If dead kids can't get gun reform, then maybe they'll get revenge from the grave against those who did it, and those who helped do it.

Reactions: harrylee

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario

GOOD.

If dead kids can't get gun reform, then maybe they'll get revenge from the grave against those who did it, and those who helped do it.
I agree...Good. Hope it's a stiff sentence. I haven't followed this, what happened to their little gun freak?

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta

GOOD.

I totally agree; the lunatic who shot all those kids at Sandy Hook was disturbed; his mother thought teaching him about guns would help with his therapy. She paid with her life, as did a bunch of poor elementary kids. I also think that reporting on them and showing their face perpetuates this.

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
How about an illegal gun bill? The problem with guns in Canada is smuggling. But let's pass a bill to further burden the gun owners who jumped through all the hoops. Stupid and ineffective. I remember when I ran NY State, they had a sign that said you got a mandatory 25 if you were convicted of a crime with a gun. I don't know if it's still that way, but I remember the sign. We put revolving doors on our jails.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
How about an illegal gun bill? The problem with guns in Canada is smuggling. But let's pass a bill to further burden the gun owners who jumped through all the hoops. Stupid and ineffective. I remember when I ran NY State, they had a sign that said you got a mandatory 25 if you were convicted of a crime with a gun. I don't know if it's still that way, but I remember the sign. We put revolving doors on our jails.
But we can’t trust well trained individuals like yourself . White supremacy and terrorism could happen , after all .

Retired_Can_Soldier

Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
But we can’t trust well trained individuals like yourself . White supremacy and terrorism could happen , after all .
An onion layer at a time the Liberal/NDP government is eroding our rights. The police no longer need a reason to pull you over. The minute they pull you over they can subject you to a breathalyzer. You don't have to be smelling of alcohol or exhibiting the indicators; just blow in here, or we will suspend your license for 30 days and call your insurance company. I don't drink and drive, and I don't endorse it, but maybe we should all have a breath machine in our car? I know, I am a conspiracy nut? Probably a trucker.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
An onion layer at a time the Liberal/NDP government is eroding our rights. The police no longer need a reason to pull you over. The minute they pull you over they can subject you to a breathalyzer. You don't have to be smelling of alcohol or exhibiting the indicators; just blow in here, or we will suspend your license for 30 days and call your insurance company. I don't drink and drive, and I don't endorse it, but maybe we should all have a breath machine in our car? I know, I am a conspiracy nut? Probably a trucker.
The one I like is where, up to two hours after you’ve been home, now the police can come to your door and administer a breathalyzer….& and if you fail, you lose your license, even though you didn’t drink and drive, but you did have a couple beer when you got home…& now the onus is upon you to prove that you didn’t drink and drive and you had those drinks in your own residence after you’ve driven. Good times.

You can stop at a pub and pick up your spouse, because they don’t want to drink and drive. Within the next two hours because you stopped at that pub (and did not drink there)…. you had better not have a beer or something like it at home just in case….”reasonable” suspicion & such.

GOOD.

Two sides to every coin. Here’s an interesting perspective:

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The one I like is where, up to two hours after you’ve been home, now the police can come to your door and administer a breathalyzer….& and if you fail, you lose your license, even though you didn’t drink and drive, but you did have a couple beer when you got home…& now the onus is upon you to prove that you didn’t drink and drive and you had those drinks in your own residence after you’ve driven. Good times.

You can stop at a pub and pick up your spouse, because they don’t want to drink and drive. Within the next two hours because you stopped at that pub (and did not drink there)…. you had better not have a beer or something like it at home just in case….”reasonable” suspicion & such.

Two sides to every coin. Here’s an interesting perspective:
Its another money grab with nothing to do with public safety.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Last time I was stopped coming from the wine and beer store the officer made me blow , after the third failed attempt he threatened me with failure to blow . Finally after about five attempts I found enough air to make it work . The officer was pissed off the breathalyzer showed zero blood alcohol.

• Wow
Reactions: Dixie Cup