Give Hope Wings

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I “think” the plane at the beginning of the above Vid is a 172, & I’ve flown in the smaller 152…with a cockpit that is comparable to a 45 gallon drum laying on its side, for space. Well, a bit bigger than that, but it didn’t really feel like it with two guys shoulder to shoulder, and the outside shoulders are each touching wall or window.

My Girlfriend spent part of her childhood growing up in a small town called Faro, in the middle of nowhere, & has stories of medical airplanes.
1707661323149.jpeg
The closest Mecca of civilization was Whitehorse, but complicated medical stuff happened in the closest “big” city which was Edmonton.
1707661600574.jpeg
…and if you look at the map and go, wait, wouldn’t Vancouver be closer? It’s not.
1707661652018.jpeg
…and from what I understand at least at the time, the roads to Edmonton were better than the roads to try and get to Vancouver. The Whitehorse hospital could only do so much at the time anyway.

As far as that route goes, when I was younger, I use to work on the “T” in exploration where B.C. & AB & the NWT meet…so I’ve been to both Zama City & Fort Nelson (Fort Nelson was awesome after a 6 week stretch in a camp). Those two towns were the last town in Alberta & the first town in B.C. you’d see going in or out of camp.
1707662531244.jpeg
So I’ve been about 1/2 way from Edmonton to Faro…but I did that in a 1974 Kenworth with a 5&4. I was young & Swamping on that truck.
The above TikTok thing briefly explains shifting a 5&4.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I “think” the plane at the beginning of the above Vid is a 172, & I’ve flown in the smaller 152…with a cockpit that is comparable to a 45 gallon drum laying on its side, for space. Well, a bit bigger than that, but it didn’t really feel like it with two guys shoulder to shoulder, and the outside shoulders are each touching wall or window.
Friend of mine owns a 232. Twin engine with a puller and a pusher. Fun flying.
My Girlfriend spent part of her childhood growing up in a small town called Faro, in the middle of nowhere, & has stories of medical airplanes.
If ya like it then ya shoulda put a ring on it.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

View attachment 21089
The closest Mecca of civilization was Whitehorse, but complicated medical stuff happened in the closest “big” city which was Edmonton.
View attachment 21090
…and if you look at the map and go, wait, wouldn’t Vancouver be closer? It’s not.
View attachment 21091
…and from what I understand at least at the time, the roads to Edmonton were better than the roads to try and get to Vancouver. The Whitehorse hospital could only do so much at the time anyway.

As far as that route goes, when I was younger, I use to work on the “T” in exploration where B.C. & AB & the NWT meet…so I’ve been to both Zama City & Fort Nelson (Fort Nelson was awesome after a 6 week stretch in a camp). Those two towns were the last town in Alberta & the first town in B.C. you’d see going in or out of camp.
View attachment 21092
So I’ve been about 1/2 way from Edmonton to Faro…but I did that in a 1974 Kenworth with a 5&4. I was young & Swamping on that truck.
The above TikTok thing briefly explains shifting a 5&4.
Alaskan HWY Vs the Cassier route are night and day for drivability.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Friend of mine owns a 232. Twin engine with a puller and a pusher. Fun flying.
I’ve flown the 152 (totally supervised!), so I get it.
Canada doesn’t incentivize marriage with its tax laws. By getting married, one of us loses our personal exemption for income tax and becomes a dependent of the other which is a much smaller deduction. The difference in exemptions for taxes works out to about $10,000 Canadian Pesos per year. I’d love to marry that girl, but not at a loss of roughly $100,000/decade for the privilege of our relationship being recognized in the eyes of a God & Revenue Canada.

I think we will marry, after Trudeau, and when the economy settles down and we can get back to living instead of scraping by with ever increasing ridiculousness every April Fools Day, in Mexico just because…with friends local there and some select family…& just not share that with the Canadian Government.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Canada doesn’t incentivize marriage with its tax laws. By getting married, one of us loses our personal exemption for income tax and becomes a dependent of the other which is a much smaller deduction. The difference in exemptions for taxes works out to about $10,000 Canadian Pesos per year. I’d love to marry that girl, but not at a loss of roughly $100,000/decade for the privilege of our relationship being recognized in the eyes of a God & Revenue Canada.

I think we will marry, after Trudeau, and when the economy settles down and we can get back to living instead of scraping by with ever increasing ridiculousness every April Fools Day, in Mexico just because…with friends local there and some select family…& just not share that with the Canadian Government.
You're young enough.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I’ve flown the 152 (totally supervised!), so I get it.

Who said anything about marriage?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Oh I have, but not the Government ceremony to have one of us lose our personal exemption on our income taxes.
You're young enough.
Yep, & so are our kids & grandkids. Things come and go in cycles, and we’ll see the end of the current one yet, just like the ‘08/‘09 one.
Yeah, tax law. It’s very romantic.
Who said anything about marriage?
In that case, I’ve put a few rings on it. Our names are on each other’s life insurance policies, benefits packages, etc…but not on our income tax returns.
1707668920194.jpeg

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I have flown in all the small Cesnas at one time or another. Mostly 180&185 on floats. Spent enough time in them to do takeoffs and fly them to/from Camp unassisted. No one ever allowed me an unassisted float landing though. Same with Beavers and Otters. A single Otter is basically a stretch Beaver but much slower. Goose was also a fun plane to fly. Landing on water is a rather odd feeling. Beach 18 on floats is cool too.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
In that case, I’ve put a few rings on it. Our names are on each other’s life insurance policies, benefits packages, etc…but not on our income tax returns.
How do you avoid the income tax return? We were told by a beancounter that we can file separately, but had to have each other's names on the form.

Reactions: Dixie Cup

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Oh I have, but not the Government ceremony to have one of us lose our personal exemption on our income taxes.

Yep, & so are our kids & grandkids. Things come and go in cycles, and we’ll see the end of the current one yet, just like the ‘08/‘09 one.

View attachment 21100
No no no. A farm for retirement.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
I have flown in all the small Cesnas at one time or another. Mostly 180&185 on floats. Spent enough time in them to do takeoffs and fly them to/from Camp unassisted. No one ever allowed me an unassisted float landing though. Same with Beavers and Otters. A single Otter is basically a stretch Beaver but much slower. Goose was also a fun plane to fly. Landing on water is a rather odd feeling. Beach 18 on floats is cool too.
Otters. Ive flown on uncountable flights in Otters. DCH3 are workhorses.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

View attachment 21100
All right, I think Beyonce finds your level of commitment acceptable.

I'm not sure when we started answering to Beyonce, but here we are.

Reactions: Ron in Regina