France Protest Riots this last week

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I know we’ve all been busy and living in our own bubbles, but that’s some weird shit going on in Europe right now.

Quick, vague, here’s a probably very inaccurate synopsis of what I recall from the last week.

17yr old involved in some hijinks and shenanigans, traffic stop where he didn’t stop, etc…& he got shot by the police.

Then riots and looting, protests I guess, for at least the last six days in France, and in several other countries with Muslim populations, that…are protesting with fire.

(we’ve had our grandkids since last Thursday until today, and I manage the stuff a tree stub in my eye so I’ve had Corneal Abrasion's which aren’t as fun as they sound, but I’m back to binocular vision mostly as of partway through yesterday)

Totally seen weird snippets of videos out of Paris and other Muslim Centres in Europe. Crazy stuff, including the mother of the 17-year-old who was shot revving up a dirtbike, etc….Crazy, disjointed things. Anybody know more? Opinions?

Thousands have been arrested as violent protests rage across France after police killed a 17-year-old during a traffic stop.

The French riots appear to be easing as the grandmother of Nahel Merzouk, the teenager killed by police last week, begged rioters to stop destroying their own communities.

“The people who are destroying: Stop. Stop. They’re using Nahel as a pretext,” explained Nadia, the grandmother. “No, they must stop destroying the shops, the schools, the buses. The mothers take the buses. We take the buses.”

During the sixth night of riots, France deployed 45,000 police and gendarmes throughout the country, CNN reported. The Interior Ministry said three police officers and gendarmes were injured and 157 people were detained overnight as violence eased. Over 2,000 people have been detained since the beginning of the riots and the average age of those detained is just 17.

“I am tired, I can’t take it anymore, I can’t sleep,” said Nadia, adding that both the policeman who shot Nahel and rioters attacking policemen should be punished.

A funeral for Nahel was held Saturday afternoon.

The inciting incident occurred when Nahel was detained in a traffic stop in the Paris suburb of Nanterre, where he used to live. The officers claimed they were at risk of being hit by the teenager as he fled, but video later showed the officers standing to the side of the vehicle as the teenager attempted to flee.

Opening fire on escaping motorists even when the officer is not in any immediate danger was legalized by France in 2017 in the wake of a series of terrorist attacks. The New York Times reported that the law remains controversial and that officers have received limited shooting training despite the fact they must only fire in cases of “absolute necessity and in a strictly proportionate manner.” Etc…

The officer who opened fire has been placed under formal investigation for voluntary manslaughter — equivalent to charges being filed — and is being detained.

Irrespective of the shooting, the riots have drawn sharp criticism for the sheer amount of destruction and the targeting of police and citizens. Shops have been looted, buses have been stolen, and infrastructure has been destroyed. A Holocaust memorial in Nanterre was defaced.

Early Sunday morning, the home of Vincent Jeanbrun, mayor of the southern Paris suburb L’Haÿ-les-Roses, was attacked in what Jeanbrun called an “assassination attempt” on his young family.

“At 1:30 a.m., while I was at the city hall like the past three nights, individuals rammed their car upon my residence before setting fire to it to burn my house, inside which my wife and my two young children slept,” said Jeanbrun as quoted by CNN.

The local prosecutor’s office has classified the incident as attempted murder and will seek to bring charges against the perpetrators.

Tourists throughout the country have been urged to proceed with caution. A group of Chinese visitors saw the windows of their bus smashed in Marseille, sustaining minor injuries.

French president Emmanuel Macron has been holding a series of meetings to assess the causes of the violence and the proper response moving forward. He met with senior ministers on Sunday evening and will meet with the mayors of 220 towns in France that have experienced violence on Tuesday.

Last week, Nahel, a 17-year-old of Algerian and Moroccan descent, was shot dead in the Paris suburb of Nanterre. Nahel was unarmed. At first, the police claimed that Nahel attempted to run over the police, but then a video of the incident surfaced that greatly undermines that claim. The video suggests that it was a rage-fueled public execution by an officer of the French state. Since the public execution, France has burned. Riots marked by destruction of property, arson, and looting of high fashion retail stores continued through last weekend.

The death of Nahel is the catalyst for a close examination of the discrimination that immigrants and minorities confront in France, etc…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Looks weirdly violent and festive simultaneously:
Then there’s this weirdness. Not exactly LA’s Roof Koreans, but interesting:
…& in Neutral Switzerland. Inspiring music and discount shopping:
No Hot-Tubs or Bouncy Castles so far:
….& Marseille…couple days back:
So far any video on YouTube trying to explain what’s actually going on is either age restricted or you have to sign into watch it. Weird….maybe this one will work:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Maybe this one will work (?) to help explain what’s going on…
Or maybe this one?:
But maybe not this one?:
And this music always makes me think of CNN from a couple decades ago:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Bunch of cowardly retards! Pissed at the police so they attack people and businesses that had nothing to with what happened. Funny how these fucking retard cowards go after innocent people instead of the people they're pissed at.

Seriously, democracy or not that kind of shit needs military intervention. Fuck their civil rights. Those should be for people who know how to act civilly.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Bunch of cowardly retards! Pissed at the police so they attack people and businesses that had nothing to with what happened. Funny how these fucking retard cowards go after innocent people instead of the people they're pissed at.

Seriously, democracy or not that kind of shit needs military intervention. Fuck their civil rights. Those should be for people who know how to act civilly.
Honk honk.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

While I agree about the ones causing damage and going extreme, the family itself has asked - begged? Pleaded, can't remember which it was - that people stop this as it's not what they want.

There's no need of this; the cops are going to jail for this since it's a clear case of them killing the kid.

This shit is not needed what so ever.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
While I agree about the ones causing damage and going extreme, the family itself has asked - begged? Pleaded, can't remember which it was - that people stop this as it's not what they want.

There's no need of this; the cops are going to jail for this since it's a clear case of them killing the kid.

Nor was the harassment of immigrants and minorities. Make it abundantly clear to a group that they will never get a fair shake from the system, and this happens.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
Nor was the harassment of immigrants and minorities. Make it abundantly clear to a group that they will never get a fair shake from the system, and this happens.
No one in France asked them to come. Germany has the same problem, although currently to a lesser extent.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022

So fleeing police had nothing to do with the brat being shot? If he had stopped when told, none of this would have happened.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So fleeing police had nothing to do with the brat being shot? If he had stopped when told, none of this would have happened.
From the Wiki link above:

Nahel Merzouk was a 17-year-old French-Algerian adolescent.[12] He was enrolled at the Lycée Louis-Blériot in Suresnes, where he attended classes for six months, and then stopped going to school. Merzouk worked as a pizza delivery boy in Nanterre.[13][14] According to a paramedic who knew Merzouk, his father left his mother before Merzouk was born.[15]According to his family's lawyers, Merzouk did not have a criminal record,[16] but he was "known to the police, particularly for resisting arrest", and had been charged with resisting the previous weekend[17] and five times since 2021. His judicial file included 15 recorded incidents, including use of false license plates, driving without insurance, and for the sale and consumption of drugs.[18]

On 1 July 2023, Merzouk was buried at the Mont-Valérien cemetery park in the Muslim section in Nanterre.

So…. He both does and doesn’t have a criminal record (?) and apparently you have to be 18 years old to drive in France? Conflicting weirdness.

Reactions: Taxslave2

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
In Canada and the US I think most juvies do not have a criminal record. They have a juvie record. When they turn 18 the juvie record is sealed. Not sure if same in France but probably similar.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The details are weirder and weirder. This boy (17yrs old) was no angel it sounds like, but that’s no justification for getting shot.

If you have to be 18 years old to drive in France, how is he a pizza delivery boy with a Mercedes with Polish license plates? I’m sure there are both nefarious and innocent explanations for all of the above but it’s still kind of weird.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
The details are weirder and weirder. This boy (17yrs old) was no angel it sounds like, but that’s no justification for getting shot.

If you have to be 18 years old to drive in France, how is he a pizza delivery boy with a Mercedes with Polish license plates? I’m sure there are both nefarious and innocent explanations for all of the above but it’s still kind of weird.
Either way, if he had stopped when ordered when ordered.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Unfazed man spotted eating sandwich during riots
Author of the article:Denette Wilford
Published Jul 03, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 1 minute read
Man on bench eating sandwich amidst France riots.
Man on bench eating sandwich amidst France riots. PHOTO BY CHEDLY_92777 /Twitter
For nearly a week, Paris and other cities around the French capital have been protesting over the fatal police shooting of a 17-year-old delivery driver.

France’s government was forced to heighten police presence in an attempt to head off rioters who are damaging building and vehicles and setting municipal trash cans ablaze.

In the midst of all the protests, one mystery man has since gone viral – not because he threw a Molotov cocktail at police but, rather, for eating a sandwich.

The eight-second clip, taken from what is believed to have been a Parisian suburb, shows a man in the midst of a literal riot, with police in full riot gear on one side and protesters on the other.

On the left, two officers can be seen using two massive canopies to shield their colleagues from objects being thrown at them.

On the right are the rioters, standing together near a residential building as a fire burns nearby.

But even closer to the flames is the sandwich-eater — sitting on a bench in the middle of both groups, appearing completely unbothered, with one leg casually crossed over the other as he takes a bite.

Naturally, the Internet weighed in on their new favourite hero.

One person summed it up best, calling the whole scene, “The Frenchest thing you’ll see today.”

Another commenter wrote, “A man needs his sandwich!.”

One user added: “He didn’t know if it was his last sandwich, so he had to enjoy it.”

Around 45,000 officers were deployed across France to counter violence fuelled by anger over discrimination against people who trace their roots to former French colonies and live in low-income neighbourhoods.

Nahel, the teen killed on June 27, was of Algerian descent and was shot in the Paris suburb of Nanterre.
1688520933751.png