Elizabeth I's funeral corset is restored for exhibition

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
The corset seen on Queen Elizabeth I's funeral effigy is to be unveiled as part of a new exhibition at Westminster Abbey.

The delicate garment was supplied by the Queen's tailor, William Jones, to be used in the procession marking the death of the monarch in 1603.

For 415 years the bodice has been carefully preserved by historians at Westminster Abbey and has recently undergone conservation work before it is placed on public display this summer.

Queen Elizabeth I's 415-year-old funeral corset is carefully restored ahead of a new exhibition at Westminster Abbey

Corset was worn by the effigy of Queen Elizabeth I at her funeral in 1603
The bodice was supplied by the Queen's tailor, William Jones, to her own pattern
The specially-made garment has been kept at Westminster Abbey for 415 years
It has now undergone careful conservation work ahead of a new exhibition

By Stephanie Linning For Mailonline
21 February 2018

The corset seen on Queen Elizabeth I's funeral effigy is to be unveiled as part of a new exhibition at Westminster Abbey.

The delicate garment was supplied by the Queen's tailor, William Jones, to be used in the procession marking the death of the monarch in 1603.

For 415 years the bodice has been carefully preserved by historians at Westminster abbey and has recently undergone conservation work before it is placed on public display this summer.

Royal artefact: The corset seen on the funeral effigy of Queen Elizabeth I has been carefully restored before it is unveiled as part of a new exhibition at Westminster Abbey this summer

Conservation: Costume designer Jenny Tiramani, left, fits a pair of straight bodices onto an effigy

Royal wardrobe: The cloth corset was made to Queen Elizabeth's own pattern, meaning that although it wasn't worn by the monarch, it fitted exactly the same as the ones she did

The garment will be among 300 objects from the Abbey collection on display in The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries when they open at Westminster Abbey in June.

The cloth corset was made to Queen Elizabeth's own pattern, meaning that although it wasn't worn by the monarch, it fitted exactly the same as the ones she did.

The conservation work, which was carried out by a team including costume historian Jenny Tiramani, revealed a number of previously unknown details about the piece.

Among these was the discovery that the boning finishes slightly lower on the right-hand side, which would have allowed right-handed Elizabeth greater ease of movement.

Historic: For the funeral, the corset was placed on an effigy that was carried on the queen's hearse, as seen in this copy of a painting of the funeral procession of 1603

Delicate: Costume historian Jenny Tiramani, right, ties a pair of bodices to a figure

Hidden details: The garment was designed in a way to allow Elizabeth a little extra room

For the funeral the corset was placed on an effigy that was carried on the queen's hearse.

The original effigy was remade in 1760 with a wax head and new outer clothes.

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee Galleries runs 70 ft above the abbey floor, and has been hidden to the public for over 700 years.

The new galleries will give visitors magnificent views to the Palace of Westminster and into the church, displaying treasures and collections reflecting the abbey's rich and varied thousand-year history.

Queen Elizabeth I's funeral

Queen Elizabeth I died aged 69 at Richmond Palace on 24 March 1603.

For some days her body lay at Richmond and then was brought by barge to Whitehall Palace to lie in state.

Thousands of people turned out to see her funeral procession to the abbey on 28 April 1603. One account describes the feeling as 'such a general sighing, groaning and weeping as the like hath not been seen or known in the memory of man'.

The coffin, covered in purple velvet, was borne on a chariot drawn by four grey horses with black trappers. The coloured wooden funeral effigy lay on top of the coffin.

Her body was encased in lead within the wooden coffin and first buried in the vault of her grandfather King Henry VII (underneath his monument) in the abbey. James I, who succeeded Elizabeth, did not attend the ceremony.

The original funeral effigy was remade in 1760 with a wax head and new outer clothes.

The original, and unique, corset from the 1603 effigy still survives however and after recent conservation was displayed separately from the clothed effigy.

Read more: Queen Elizabeth I 415-year-old funeral corset is restored | Daily Mail Online
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Last edited:

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
She's not still innit, is she?

Like several other English/British monarchs and scientists and politicians and writers and poets and playwrights and other notables she's buried at Westminster Abbey.

The other monarchs buried there are:

Sæberht of Essex
St Edward the Confessor and his wife, Edith of Wessex
Henry III of England
Edward I of England and his wife, Eleanor of Castile
Edward III of England and his wife, Philippa of Hainault
Richard II of England and his wife, Anne of Bohemia
Henry V of England and his wife, Catherine of Valois
Edward V of England
Anne Neville, wife of Richard III
Henry VII of England and his wife, Elizabeth of York
Edward VI of England
Anne of Cleves, wife of King Henry VIII
Mary I of England
Elizabeth I of England
In the 19th century researchers looking for the tomb of James I partially opened the underground vault containing the remains of Elizabeth I and Mary I of England. The lead coffins were stacked, with Elizabeth's resting on top of her half-sister's.
James VI & I of Scotland England and Ireland and his wife, Anne of Denmark
The position of the tomb of James I of England was lost for two and a half centuries. In the 19th century, following an excavation of many of the vaults beneath the floor, the lead coffin was found in the Henry VII vault.
Charles II of England and Scotland
Mary II of England and Scotland
William III of England and II of Scotland
Anne, Queen of Great Britain and her husband, Prince George of Denmark
George II of Great Britain and his wife, Caroline of Ansbach

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
Sung to the tune of "Walking in a Winter Wonderland"

"Lacey things, the wife is missing.
Didn't ask, for her permission
I'm wearing her clothes,
Her silk panty hose.
Walking around in women's underwear.

In the store, there's a teddy.
With little straps, like spagetti.
It holds me so tight,
Like handcuffs at night.
Walking around in women's underwear

In the office there's a guy named Melvin.
He pretends that I am Murphy Brown.
He'll say "Are you ready?"
I'll say, "Woah man! Lets wait untill the wife is out of town."
Later on, if you wanna,
We can dress, like Madonna.
Put on some eye shade, and join the parade.
Walking around in women's underwear.

Lacey things, missing.
Didn't ask, permission.
Wearing her clothes, silk panty hose.

bertjones

Jan 11, 2023
Manassas
Of course it's been a long time but wow, that's fascinating news! I can't wait to see Queen Elizabeth Is restored funeral corset. The attention to detail, like the right-hand side boning for ease of movement, is impressive. This exhibition sounds like a fantastic opportunity to get a glimpse into the history and appreciate the craftsmanship of that era.

bertjones

Jan 11, 2023
Manassas
Of course it's been a long time but wow, that's fascinating news! I can't wait to see Queen Elizabeth Is restored funeral corset. The attention to detail, like the right-hand side boning for ease of movement, is impressive. This exhibition sounds like a fantastic opportunity to get a glimpse into the history and appreciate the craftsmanship of that era.
Today, the only unusual thing we can choose is another gravestone color (like Spam-Spam-Spam-Spam). But back in the day, the funeral was a much more interesting ceremony.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Today, the only unusual thing we can choose is another gravestone color (like Spam-Spam-Spam-Spam). But back in the day, the funeral was a much more interesting ceremony.
Heck, yeah! The part where they led your servants and favourite animals into your tomb and killed 'em was pretty cool.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Heck, yeah! The part where they led your servants and favourite animals into your tomb and killed 'em was pretty cool.
Yeah, makes me wanna rush out & get me some Spam-Spam-Spam-Spam just so my funeral can keep up with the cool kids. There’s nothing quite like unsolicited advertising to influence people about funerals? Sounds legit.