Electric shock: A new study found that EVs were more expensive to fuel than gas-powered cars at the end of 2022

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit

His electric vehicle battery died. One year later, he's still waiting for a replacement​

Supply chain issues, changing technology make it harder to find batteries for older EV models​

Ryan Patrick Jones - CBC News
Some car owners looking to replace the battery that powers their Nissan Leaf electric vehicles are frustrated with how long it's taking to get back on the road.

Mississauga, Ont., resident Atif Harooni bought a new Leaf in 2017 to save money on gas and to take advantage of a $14,000 government rebate for electric vehicles.

"It was good and it all ran well," Harooni told CBC Toronto in an interview. "I really like driving it and it's very little maintenance."

But much of his goodwill has since drained.

Harooni was told the vehicle's main high-voltage battery needed to be replaced after the car broke down on the highway twice last year: first in late November, then again one week later. He had to hire a tow truck to haul it to his local dealership in Milton, Ont., both times.

While the replacement falls under the warranty covering 160,000 km or eight years, whichever comes first, Harooni said he is still waiting for it to arrive — and he has no idea when that might

He said at first he was told by staff at the Milton dealership that a replacement battery was in stock and would be ready in a week. Then, he was told he would have to wait three months.
One year later, Harooni's still driving a courtesy rental car and paying out of pocket for gas while his Nissan Leaf sits in the parking lot of the dealership. He said he's moved up from 17th to 15th in the nationwide queue for replacement batteries, but still doesn't have an estimated date for when he might get one.

In a recent email to Harooni viewed by CBC Toronto, a representative of Nissan Canada said the automaker is experiencing "global supply chain shortages," causing delays in the production and delivery of electric vehicle batteries in Canada.

"Initially, I was OK with it. I understood there might be supply chain issues. But not giving me the ETA is just frustrating," Harooni said. "They are producing new car batteries right now, so I'm not sure why they can't produce replacement batteries."

Quebec Leaf owner unsure when battery replacement will happen

Harooni is not the only Nissan Leaf driver waiting indefinitely for a replacement battery.

Chris Hornibrook, who lives near Sherbrooke, Que., said he bought a used 2016 Nissan Leaf four years ago. When the battery failed this October, the dealership told him it would need to be replaced.

• Wow
Reactions: Twin_Moose

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

Supply chain issues, changing technology make it harder to find batteries for older EV models​

Older being 5yrs old…when the claim is they last for at least 8yrs?
Harooni was told the vehicle's main high-voltage battery needed to be replaced after the car broke down on the highway twice last year….While the replacement falls under the warranty covering 160,000 km or eight years, whichever comes first, Harooni said he is still waiting for it to arrive — and he has no idea when that might
A year later?
“Initially, I was OK with it. I understood there might be supply chain issues. But not giving me the ETA is just frustrating," Harooni said. "They are producing new car batteries right now, so I'm not sure why they can't produce replacement batteries."
That is a good question.
Harooni is not the only Nissan Leaf driver waiting indefinitely for a replacement battery.

Chris Hornibrook, who lives near Sherbrooke, Que., said he bought a used 2016 Nissan Leaf four years ago. When the battery failed this October, the dealership told him it would need to be replaced.
By now, most sensible people recognize that emissions reduction is a good, desirable and laudable goal. The problem that is now clear as day for anyone who bothers to look is that the mandates and regulations are being driven by politicians who refuse to acknowledge reality. So let’s take a walk down reality avenue and the obvious problems the 2035 mandate has.

EVs are expensive for consumers and lose car manufacturers money. Currently, most electric versions of cars run the consumer $10,000 – $15,000 more than their gas counterparts. In an inflationary environment with a stuttering economy and stagnant salaries the government is now demanding Canadians spend more of their hard-earned money on an EV.

Fine, you might say, costs will come down eventually and so will prices. Not so fast. In its latest quarter, Ford revealed that it lost $36,000 per electric vehicle delivered. It delivered 36,000 in the stated quarter thus losing a whopping $1.3 billion in three months. We are a long way from lower prices and financial viability either for consumers or companies. If car dealers haven’t started buying up land on the U.S. border they soon will as Canadians nip into the U.S. to get the gas car Canada refuses to sell them??
The EV mandate is anti-free market, anti-consumer and anti-industry. It ignores the staggering challenges the energy transition will require and takes the innovation ability out of the hands of the very companies who will make the newer, better and greener vehicles consumers want. The government claims all this is only to encourage and speed up the timeline but by trying to impose its will via regulation the government is crushing the mechanism that has given us the progress and technology necessary to make the energy transition possible: a free market economy, etc…

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
"A man's got to know his limitations. . ."
--Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates, Rawhide

"A man's got to know his limitations. . ."
--Clint Eastwood as Harry Callahan, The Dead Pool
1703360457959.jpeg
1703360512327.jpeg
(This second one is easier to park once you reach your destination)
1703360837680.jpeg
Irony would be the guy below parking in the handicap stalls because he’s handicapped himself…
1703361207311.jpeg

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Reactions: Taxslave2

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Different nation with different issues. Don’t want to come across as just a grumpy Gus but Environment Minister Steven Guilbeault said in April the government’s spending commitment on climate change is north of $200 billion — so far.

Parliamentary Budget Officer Yves Giroux said last year that when you factor in the negative impact of the carbon tax on the economy, 60% of households paying it are already paying hundreds of dollars more in carbon taxes annually than they get back in climate action incentive payments.

The hundreds of dollars more in carbon taxes (plural) annually, that’s the spread and not the total annually…for those that actually see one of these “climate action initiative payments” while the rest of us just pay.

In some provinces, that will increase to 80%, as the carbon tax increases from its current $65 per tonne of greenhouse gas emissions to $170 per tonne in 2030, guaranteed to increase every April Fools Day (you can’t make this shit up) regardless of what’s happening with our economy.

There’s the cost of upgrading the electricity grid — with the heavy lifting to be done by provincial taxpayers and ratepayers, because where else does the money come from?

(The taxpayers are the ratepayers, and the ratepayers are the taxpayers, because these carbon taxes are on our utilities and not “just” the fuel in our vehicles)

That will be necessary to handle the increased demand for electricity, due to mandated federal electric vehicle sales targets, rising from 20% of the market in 2026 to 100% in 2035, regardless of what the market wants because big daddy knows better, etc…

Because EVs are more expensive, less reliable and have less range than traditional gas-powered vehicles, costs to buyers are being subsidized by federal and some provincial governments — paid by taxpayers, whether they happen to be an EV owner or not, because where else would the money come from?

Setting up a supply chain for EVs is costing taxpayers money, as well as establishing a national charging system for them, plus the costs faced by EV owners for installing home charging stations.

True, some of this money will create new jobs (in select places, in select political ridings) and tax revenue but that’s offset by the government downgrading Canada’s oil and gas sector, costing our economy billions of dollars annually, even though, as the PBO noted, Canada’s emissions — 1.6% of the global total — aren’t enough to materially impact climate change…so…we are foisting this upon ourselves because selfies? The Future right to lecture others about the climate (?) because I thought we were already doing that?
The bottom line is that EV's are not environmentally better than fueled vehicles. The mining involved take place in countries that have no environmental laws & use child labor but guess that's OK as long as we're paying. The whole thing is sick!

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The bottom line is that EV's are not environmentally better than fueled vehicles. The mining involved take place in countries that have no environmental laws & use child labor but guess that's OK as long as we're paying. The whole thing is sick!
Well, doesn’t look like they’re financially better either, and as of late they don’t look like they’re a choice but a mandated inevitability for the Canadians that can eventually afford one.

We live in what would be considered a smaller (1/4 million population) Canadian city. We do have public transportation in the form of a bus service, & it functions as a form of “last resort” transportation.

Many many years ago, between vehicles, I worked 52 city blocks from home. I quickly discovered that it was quicker (I kid you not) for me as an able body individual to walk both ways, to and from work daily, then it was to wait for the bus and then go downtown and transfer to get on a different bus to get to work for the time that I was supposed to be there, and the reverse coming home. On weekends and holidays, the transit capacity is cut in half, same routes, but 1/2 as many buses running, or at least it was at that point in time.

At the time I would average approximately 55 seconds per city block on foot. So walking an extra 104 city blocks daily, 5-6 times a week…to go work a minimum 9hr shift was more time efficient than relying on public transport. I’m not that young man anymore, & I have a shorter commute if walking or driving….But it would be about the same if I had to rely on public transport time-wise as it was about 25yrs ago factoring in the start and finishing times of my employment daily… Assuming I got in and out of my place of employment on time, etc…

In 2035, when this 100% EV compliance is in effect for new vehicles, I will be retirement aged…though I might have to have a part-time job to make ends meet financially. At that point in time I don’t know if I would be able to afford an electric vehicle or not, & if I can’t…. Then I might be out of the house full-time hours in order to work part-time, just to take the bus in a small prairie city…if I’m not able to walk to, and from work…& our small Prairie city is the largest city in our province (more or less, with it and one other city pretty much matching populations).

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
There are lots of stories finally coming out about the high cost of battery replacement. In the news a day or two ago ICBC had to write off a fairly new EV Leaf? Because there was some damage to the battery and a replacement is $60000. If you can get one. Another Leaf, 2017 needed a new battery and is covered on warranty, but there is none available to fit it. The guy has been waiting a year now.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
There are lots of stories finally coming out about the high cost of battery replacement. In the news a day or two ago ICBC had to write off a fairly new EV Leaf? Because there was some damage to the battery and a replacement is $60000. If you can get one. Another Leaf, 2017 needed a new battery and is covered on warranty, but there is none available to fit it. The guy has been waiting a year now.
Just the stories of the costs of the home charging stations. Go to install one and budget $3000-$5000…but it turns into $15,000+ by the time the home/garage electrical system is upgraded, etc…& that’s in “now” dollars & not “future” dollars.

Oh, & is the cost of electricity going to remain stable (?) or is it going to go up, guaranteed annually on April Fools Day forever on top of increased electricity charges to upgrade the system repeatedly as natural gas furnaces and water heaters are outlawed, and internal combustion engines are outlawed, and other stuff that hasn’t come down, the pipe yet is outlawed, etc…like BBQ’s or what have you?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Well, doesn’t look like they’re financially better either, and as of late they don’t look like they’re a choice but a mandated inevitability for the Canadians that can eventually afford one.

We live in what would be considered a smaller (1/4 million population) Canadian city. We do have public transportation in the form of a bus service, & it functions as a form of “last resort” transportation.

Many many years ago, between vehicles, I worked 52 city blocks from home. I quickly discovered that it was quicker (I kid you not) for me as an able body individual to walk both ways, to and from work daily, then it was to wait for the bus and then go downtown and transfer to get on a different bus to get to work for the time that I was supposed to be there, and the reverse coming home. On weekends and holidays, the transit capacity is cut in half, same routes, but 1/2 as many buses running, or at least it was at that point in time.

At the time I would average approximately 55 seconds per city block on foot. So walking an extra 104 city blocks daily, 5-6 times a week…to go work a minimum 9hr shift was more time efficient than relying on public transport. I’m not that young man anymore, & I have a shorter commute if walking or driving….But it would be about the same if I had to rely on public transport time-wise as it was about 25yrs ago factoring in the start and finishing times of my employment daily… Assuming I got in and out of my place of employment on time, etc…

In 2035, when this 100% EV compliance is in effect for new vehicles, I will be retirement aged…though I might have to have a part-time job to make ends meet financially. At that point in time I don’t know if I would be able to afford an electric vehicle or not, & if I can’t…. Then I might be out of the house full-time hours in order to work part-time, just to take the bus in a small prairie city…if I’m not able to walk to, and from work…& our small Prairie city is the largest city in our province (more or less, with it and one other city pretty much matching populations).
Which means fueled vehicles cannot be outlawed in Canada. We MUST change the government so they can repeal all the stupid regulations pertaining to stupid ideologies that simply don't work.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So these will come with subsidies still, & perhaps even more than already handed out at least initially…which is not sustainable in the long run until 2035, so those with the means to purchase an EV now get subsidized by those who can’t or won’t.

• Sad

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
So these will come with subsidies still, & perhaps even more than already handed out at least initially…which is not sustainable in the long run until 2035, so those with the means to purchase an EV now get subsidized by those who can’t or won’t.
Take a look at the tax code and CCA rate of depreciation. There is no incentive for a business to go electric.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Waky waky hands off snaky!

Much of North America may face electricity shortages starting in 2024​

Over the next several years, many regions of the US and Canada may struggle to ensure a reliable electricity supply amidst soaring energy demand from the tech industry and electrification of buildings and vehicles

By Jeremy Hsu

23 December 2023

More than 300 million people in the US and Canada face the growing possibility of electricity shortages beginning as early as 2024 and continuing to 2028.

In a recent report, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) – an international regulatory authority overseeing the North American power grid – projected that a majority of regions in the US and Canada will have insufficient…

GASP! Nazis!

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Waky waky hands off snaky!

Much of North America may face electricity shortages starting in 2024​

Over the next several years, many regions of the US and Canada may struggle to ensure a reliable electricity supply amidst soaring energy demand from the tech industry and electrification of buildings and vehicles

By Jeremy Hsu

23 December 2023

More than 300 million people in the US and Canada face the growing possibility of electricity shortages beginning as early as 2024 and continuing to 2028.

In a recent report, the North American Electric Reliability Corporation (NERC) – an international regulatory authority overseeing the North American power grid – projected that a majority of regions in the US and Canada will have insufficient…

GASP! Nazis!
Nov 8 (Reuters) - More than half of the U.S. and parts of Canada, home to around 180 million people, could fall short of electricity during extreme cold again this winter due to lacking natural gas infrastructure, the North American Electric Reliability Corp (NERC) said on Wednesday.

In its 2023-24 winter outlook, the regulatory authority warned that prolonged, wide-area cold snaps threaten the reliability of bulk power generation and availability of fuel supplies for natural gas-fired generation.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
They are a good option but again, the batteries....
The battery doesn't matter so much in hybrids. When the battery dies, the car will run on the gas engine. You won't get the mileage a hybrid gets, but it will be close to what a gas model of the same car will get.

Reactions: Dixie Cup