Deleting a moved post?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Just a question, do you fancy constantly filling the forum with threads on the same subject?

I don't mind the umpteen threads you've created on aboriginal issues....but fancy?? That's too strong of a word. I really don't care either way. People are free to create threads on whatever they choose.

Why do you ask. Does it cause you distress and/or disdain?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I don't mind the umpteen threads you've created on aboriginal issues....
Ya but I was politely asked not, as it was messy and redundant. Hence why I asked that the thread linked to in the present thread of mine on that subject, be unlocked. It was given the green light to start that thread as it is, because the original couldn't be unlocked without great difficulty.

but fancy?? That's too strong of a word. I really don't care either way. People are free to create threads on whatever they choose.
True enough.

Why do you ask. Does it cause you distress and/or disdain?
Curiousity.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta
Ya but I was politely asked not, as it was messy and redundant. Hence why I asked that the thread linked to in the present thread of mine on that subject, be unlocked. It was given the green light to start that thread as it is, because the original couldn't be unlocked without great difficulty.

I think you are confusing me with somebody that cares. Obviously I'm not nearly as interested as you as to what threads people start and why. If it intrigues you so much perhaps you can be a mod.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
No it doesn't. Deleting portions of posts, entire posts or moving posts can alter perceptions and apparent meanings. It has been done to me and is one of the reasons that I don't come here much anymore.

I'm not complaining. The mods can do whatever they like and we as posters can like it or lump it. Obviously, Bcool cares about it which is his/her prerogative.
I'm sorry to hear it has been done to you also.
What I cared about and wanted corrected was the placement of my OP thread post into a mostly racially charged, biased and hate filled thread.
That I was not and have not been notified as to why my thread was trashed I'll lump, but take note of future behaviour to be expected and visit here accordingly, as you say. It is the second thread of mine that has disappeared BTW, no explanation for that either. Hmmm.... And I haven't even reached a 100 posts yet since joining! A bit harsh on newbies...

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
I think you are confusing me with somebody that cares.

No it doesn't. Deleting portions of posts, entire posts or moving posts can alter perceptions and apparent meanings. It has been done to me and is one of the reasons that I don't come here much anymore.

I'm not complaining. The mods can do whatever they like and we as posters can like it or lump it. Obviously, Bcool cares about it which is his/her prerogative.

Ya, I can see you don't care at all.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
You asked twice: 1 hour ago before Cannuck replied.
Cannuck replied directly to your post 54 minutes ago.
You asked the question again: I was just asking a question?" 48
minutes ago.

Now drop it!

No I was just trying to reply to your incomplete sentence. :smile:

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.
Just so you don't waste your time trolling here you two, you'll have to find another newbie to try and harrass off CC. Logging out and going to play on the beach now.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I'm sorry to hear it has been done to you also.
What I cared about and wanted corrected was the placement of my OP thread post into a mostly racially charged, biased and hate filled thread.
That I was not and have not been notified as to why my thread was trashed I'll lump, but take note of future behaviour to be expected and visit here accordingly, as you say. It is the second thread of mine that has disappeared BTW, no explanation for that either. Hmmm.... And I haven't even reached a 100 posts yet since joining! A bit harsh on newbies...

No, you didn't want to correct the placement. I stated, very politely I thought, last night that I'd take a look at it all this morning and you were uninterested. *shrugs* As for the discussions and courtesy... it's summer... many of these reported issues get addressed as mods are running in and out between living their lives. Sometimes stuff gets missed or misunderstood.

I'd suggest you relax a bit.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
No, you didn't want to correct the placement. I stated, very politely I thought, last night that I'd take a look at it all this morning and you were uninterested. *shrugs* As for the discussions and courtesy... it's summer... many of these reported issues get addressed as mods are running in and out between living their lives. Sometimes stuff gets missed or misunderstood.

Good for you Karrie - an attitude adjustment was definitely called for. :lol:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
It wasn't meant to be an attitude adjustment, just a clarification. I have no issue with BCool.

MapleOne

Worlds greatest Dad'n
Jul 19, 2010
Kitchener, Ontario
www.MapleOne.com
Hmmm

When I ran my board the rules were simple, the author owned the topic and could delete it (moved to a hidden recycle bin) within 48 hours. This way the author had the power to remove the topic if it went totally off base. In this case the author was not able to make any changes and it seems like a reasonable request to delete a post that was merged into a topic he did not want to partake in.

I don't know about the other things said etc but has anyone ever started a topic and immediately the topic turns to crap? It is a good idea to let the author of the topic remove it for a period of time, after which it becomes permanent.

On my forum it went to a hidden recycle box which could be restored if desired. I am happy to say I invented this feature many years back and it is now something used by most forum software. Back then delete meant delete and I always hated that, so I modified the codding to produce a recycle box. This was copied less than one year later by the first bulletin board maker and is now a standard in the industry. Not a big deal but I like that I contributed even in the tiniest of ways. I started on Ikonboard and later moved to Invision because of the similar coding. I have to say I am not at all familiar with this forums vB software, I find it a bit cumbersome, but that is probably because I have never used it before.

Bcool

Dilettante
Aug 5, 2010
Vancouver Island B.C.

I was and am relaxed, this are all very familiar going's on to those of us who have been on the Net and on Usenet and mail list forums since their inception. As a former moderator and owner of support forums and mail lists I have to say that, for a moderator, that kind of remark made following a somewhat misleading description of events was, if you look at it from my/a member asking for a post deletion and getting harrassed for doing so by other members POV, ill-advised at best. And, as you saw & responded to, it gave further fuel to one of those members to continue to 'stir the pot'. However, as you said, you were too tired to deal with issues at the time so I will assume that tiredness probably affected your judgement somewhat.

As to what I wanted and what you inferred or thought I wanted, I don't know how I could have stated it more plainly and clearly. My OP's very first sentence was:
How does one delete a post moved into a thread I do not wish to be part of?
Your response was not about deleting but indicated that again judgement would be made on what my OP thread post's merits, message, meaning and relevance by someone other than me and that you would be making a decision on its placement.
How else would I or anyone else read it?
Karrie: . . . but I will admit my dog tired brain is not up to untangling what all is and isn't covered in the Tamil thread, and how your post links in.... . . .
Again, my request could not have been clearer in my response to this:
It's merely a case of deleting a post. I didn't write it with the intent of posting it there, so simply deleting it would be the best solution under the circ's, no? If it had an 'edit' button available I would have taken care of it myself.
Had it not been arbitrarily moved into a thread I had been specifically avoiding being associated with in any way because of the bigotted, racist tenor of most of that thread, and for the very reasons Cannuck so astutely pointed out:
Cannuck: Deleting portions of posts, entire posts or moving posts can alter perceptions and apparent meanings
I would have been merely singularly unimpressed with the lack of courtesy shown in the case of a new thread I had just posted being deleted, changed to a post and moved into a thread without being advised as to why by the moderator who did it and, as I attempted to do, would have used the edit tool to delete it myself.
It only makes good sense, after all, in moderating any forum to advise those new to a forum why moderating intervention of something they had posted took place so that the new member does not repeat the same "error".
I could, in light of the lack of relevance to the supposedly inbound Tamil ship issue, start a new thread on the Globe & Mail op-ed piece on being a Canadian immigrant from a war torn city (Sarajevo) under a new title and sit back and wait. But I (and you) know all too well the real reasons why that thread, plus the other thread I had started that was very active, have been shut down and that any revision I made would still lead to the same actions.
Enuff... I dropped in to see if there was finally some kind of explanation re the threads I began, but there isn't. So we'll leave it at that I think, what you as moderators do or not from this point on obviously is up to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.