Daisy Ridley teases new 'Star Wars' film: 'Not what I expected'

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Daisy Ridley teases new 'Star Wars' film: 'Not what I expected'
'I’m very excited. The story is really cool,' actress says of upcoming 'Rise of Skywalker' sequel

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Nov 27, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

Daisy Ridley says she is surprised to be returning to the role of Rey in a new Star Wars film, adding that the storyline will surprise fans of the franchise.

In a new interview with Collider, Ridley, 31, recalled how she reacted to the news that her character will return in a sequel to 2019’s The Rise of Skywalker when it was announced at Star Wars Celebration this past April.

“I was s****ing myself before I went on stage, because no one knew I was going to that. No one knew I was going to Celebration, bar like (producer) Kathy (Kennedy) and there were a couple of people,” Ridley told the outlet. “I was so nervous. Oh my God. It was such a wonderful reception.”

Ridley went on to add that the continuation is “not what I expected.”

“I’m very excited. The story is really cool. I’m waiting to read a script because, obviously, I don’t have any other updates. It’s not what I expected, but I’m very excited,” she said.

The film will be directed by Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy (Ms. Marvel) from a script written by Peaky Blinders scribe Steven Knight. It will follow Rey after the events of The Rise of Skywalker “as she builds a new Jedi Order.”

While fans have speculated that the movie will kick off a new Star Wars trilogy, Ridley said she has only seen an outline for “one film.”

“I know the storyline for one film. That’s not to say that that’s all it is, but that’s what I was told about. And I imagine it will be the next film, I think,” she said. “I mean, again, I don’t know, post-strikes and everything, how quickly everything will start up again. But yes, so far, I know the story of one film and I think people will be very excited.”

Ridley’s Rey entry is one of several Star Wars films in the works. James Mangold (Logan, Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny) will direct a film that follows the dawn of the Jedi. Meanwhile, Dave Filoni will helm a story that “will close out the interconnected stories told in The Mandalorian, The Book of Boba Fett, Ahsoka, and other Disney+ series.”

In 2019, Ridley told Postmedia that she couldn’t ever see herself returning to the franchise because she had so much fun making The Rise of Skywalker.

“I think it would have to be something so extraordinary,” she said in an interview. “The stuff I’ve been able to do on this film… I just don’t know how that would be topped. I don’t think someone could come to me with a story and say, ‘This is better than what you got to do in The Rise of Skywalker.’ It would be so shocking if they were able to do that.”

Still, she left the door open a crack as she pondered her future in a galaxy far, far away.

“If a new trilogy came out with a new trio, I would be very jealous,” she said, pondering the future of the franchise. “I would be like, ‘You know what Disney, I will take your call. Let’s talk. I want to be a part of this.'”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

X: @markhdaniell

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Disney executives announced an upcoming installment in the popular Star Wars franchise that will feature a female Jedi who mysteriously turns to the Dark Side at the same time every month.

"We think female audiences will relate to a character who becomes moody and homicidal once a month," the film's director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy told reporters in a press conference this week.

"I mean, our target demographic is definitely women, right? So featuring an empowered, self-assured female Jedi who just sort of goes on a Dark Side-y type rampage once a month for…reasons…will click with the millions of women who flock to see our films."

"The force is female, and we know that a diverse, female-led Star Wars franchise is the key to the hearts of modern audiences," she said.

Obaid-Chinoy said they did extensive research on why a lady Jedi might turn evil once a month and discovered that mostly it relates to the fact that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, and suffering leads to women needing a little alone time, a good bar of chocolate, and a hot bath.

At publishing time, focus groups viewing the film reported slight uneasiness watching the main character yell at restaurant servers, stuff her face full of McDonald's french fries, and cry uncontrollably over an off-handed comment made by one of her male Jedi counterparts.

Reactions: petros

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Disney executives announced an upcoming installment in the popular Star Wars franchise that will feature a female Jedi who mysteriously turns to the Dark Side at the same time every month.

"We think female audiences will relate to a character who becomes moody and homicidal once a month," the film's director Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy told reporters in a press conference this week.

"I mean, our target demographic is definitely women, right? So featuring an empowered, self-assured female Jedi who just sort of goes on a Dark Side-y type rampage once a month for…reasons…will click with the millions of women who flock to see our films."

"The force is female, and we know that a diverse, female-led Star Wars franchise is the key to the hearts of modern audiences," she said.

Obaid-Chinoy said they did extensive research on why a lady Jedi might turn evil once a month and discovered that mostly it relates to the fact that fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate, hate leads to suffering, and suffering leads to women needing a little alone time, a good bar of chocolate, and a hot bath.

At publishing time, focus groups viewing the film reported slight uneasiness watching the main character yell at restaurant servers, stuff her face full of McDonald's french fries, and cry uncontrollably over an off-handed comment made by one of her male Jedi counterparts.
I have to conclude this is satire. . . but with Disney these days, ya never know.

Reactions: Ron in Regina