Alec Baldwin fired shot that killed one, wounded another on film set

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
That sounds like the right charge to me. He will likely get a slap on the wrist. Hope the civil suits break him if forthcoming.

Reactions: petros

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Do actors like him carry liability insurance?

Just wondering
Almost certainly. But that may or may not cover him in a case like this. Aside from the specific wording of the policy a lot may depend on whether he's found guilty of a crime.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
I dunno if I've said this before but, this isn't the first, or second, or third time this had happened with Hollywood. I think there needs to be a new law for the movie industry. ANY movie/show that will involve guns must have any and all crew who would normally come into contact with any of the props be fully and properly certified on handling firearms. And maybe a quick exercise to show them how to recognize a live round from a dummy round. That way anyone who handles a gun on set, right up to the actors themselves, can check to make sure the gun is loaded with dummies and that any reloads they're carrying are also dummies.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I dunno if I've said this before but, this isn't the first, or second, or third time this had happened with Hollywood. I think there needs to be a new law for the movie industry. ANY movie/show that will involve guns must have any and all crew who would normally come into contact with any of the props be fully and properly certified on handling firearms. And maybe a quick exercise to show them how to recognize a live round from a dummy round. That way anyone who handles a gun on set, right up to the actors themselves, can check to make sure the gun is loaded with dummies and that any reloads they're carrying are also dummies.
This is basically firearms' prime directive for most gun owners, certainly Canadian trained gun owners, that YOU must absolutely be responsible for making sure the firearm in your hand is unloaded, even if you just saw someone else check it.

My grandad used to say that more people have been accidentally shot with "unloaded" firearms than loaded. Meaning more often than not when there's an accident its because someone thought the gun wasn't loaded and treated it casually. I don't know if that's true but it sure wouldn't surprise me, i've heard many many cases- and many more where the gun went off but the responsible firearms owner had it pointed in a safe direction because he hadn't checked it yet so no one was hurt.

They should make an industry specific version of our firearms safety training and every actor/actress or crew member who comes in contact with a gun should have to take it and pass it

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Halyna Hutchins' family welcome decision to prosecute Alec Baldwin
'Our independent investigation also supports charges are warranted,' attorney for family said in statement

Author of the article:Bang Showbiz
Bang Showbiz
Published Jan 20, 2023 • 2 minute read

Halyna Hutchins’ family “support” the decision to file criminal charges against Alec Baldwin and Rust armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed.

The cinematographer was fatally shot on the set of the movie in October 2021 and on Thursday, authorities announced the film’s lead actor and the crew member would be charged with involuntary manslaughter over the tragedy.

Assistant Director Dave Halls has agreed a plea deal for the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon.

And now Hutchins’ family have issued a statement in response to the news and promised to “fully cooperate” with the prosecution.

“We want to thank the Santa Fe Sheriff and the District Attorney for concluding their thorough investigation and determining that charges for involuntary manslaughter are warranted for the killing of Halyna Hutchins with conscious disregard for human life,” Brian J. Panish, an attorney for the Hutchins’ family, said in a statement.

“Our independent investigation also supports charges are warranted. It is a comfort to the family that, in New Mexico, no one is above the law.

“We support the charges, will fully cooperate with this prosecution and fervently hope the justice system works to protect the public and hold accountable those who break the law.”

Lawyers for both Baldwin and Gutierrez-Reed believe they will not be found guilty of the charges.

“This decision distorts Halyna Hutchins’ tragic death and represents a terrible miscarriage of justice,” the 30 Rock star’s attorney, Luke Nikas, said.

“Mr. Baldwin had no reason to believe there was a live bullet in the gun – or anywhere on the movie set. He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds. We will fight these charges, and we will win.”

Jason Bowles and Todd J. Bullion, attorneys for Gutierrez-Reed, said in a separate statement, “Hannah is, and has always been, very emotional and sad about this tragic accident. But she did not commit involuntary manslaughter. These charges are the result of a very flawed investigation, and an inaccurate understanding of the full facts. We intend to bring the full truth to light and believe Hannah will be exonerated of wrongdoing by a jury.”

Last October, Baldwin and the other producers on Rust settled a wrongful death lawsuit filed by Hutchins’ widower Matthew Hutchins.

As well as a settlement, they agreed to complete the movie with Matthew serving as an executive producer.

Production on Rust was due to resume this month.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin to continue working on Rust despite criminal charge
Bang Showbiz
Published Jan 20, 2023 • Last updated 8 hours ago • 2 minute read

Alec Baldwin is reportedly set to continue working on ‘Rust’ despite being charged with involuntary manslaughter over the death of Halyna Hutchins.

The cinematographer was killed when a prop gun went off during rehearsals on the set of the upcoming Western movie in October 2021 but it is thought that the 64-year-old actor will still film his starring role as Harland Rust when production resumes later this month, as reported by The New York TImes.

The outlet also claimed that the movie will now ” include on-set safety supervisors and union crew members” and will also “bar any use of working weapons or any form of live ammunition, including blanks.”

The film’s head armorer, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, faces the same charge, and both face a maximum of five years in prison if found guilty.

On Thursday, Santa Fe’s District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said the charges will be filed by the end of the month.

She added in a statement: “Actor and producer Alec Baldwin and armorer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

“After a thorough review of the evidence… I have determined that there is sufficient evidence.

“On my watch, no one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”

Assistant Director Dave Halls has agreed a plea deal on the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon. He will receive six months probation and a suspended prison sentence.

Alec has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and said Dave said it was a “cold” gun – meaning it was unloaded and safe – when he handed him the weapon.

Hannah was not present when the incident occurred, but the actor previously suggested she bare some responsibility as it was her job to prepare and check the props.

The ’30 Rock’ star previously insisted he did not pull the trigger when Halyna was shot, but the FBI tested the weapon and late issued a report which concluded it would not have fired if someone hadn’t pulled the trigger.

Halyna’s death was previously ruled an accident but her family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Alec and others involved in the production.

The lawsuit was settled last October, and it was agreed filming would resume on ‘Rust’, with the cinematographer’s widower, Matthew Hutchins, on board as an executive producer.

Matthew previously said he has “no interest” in apportioning blame for his wife’s tragic death and wants to pay tribute to Halyna’s “final work”.

In a statement, he said: “We have reached a settlement, subject to court approval, for our wrongful death case against the producers of ‘Rust’, including Alec Baldwin and Rust Movie Productions, LLC. As part of that settlement, our case will be dismissed.

“The filming of ‘Rust’, which I will now executive produce, will resume with all the original principal players on board in January 2023.

“I have no interest in engaging in recriminations or attribution of blame (to the producers or Mr. Baldwin).

“All of us believe Halyna’s death was a terrible accident. I am grateful that the producers and the entertainment community have come together to pay tribute to Halyna’s final work.”

Alec also sued four crew members – Hannah, Dave, Sarah Zachry and Seth Kenney – claiming they failed to safeguard the film set.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
He relied on the professionals with whom he worked, who assured him the gun did not have live rounds.
Well that's what it's going to boil down to. Is it ok to 'rely' on others, or did he have a duty to check the firearm himself if he was going to handle it.

I have no idea what the actual law on that is for that part of the world. I think the fact he 'relied' on experts keeps him away from murder and might even beat involuntary manslaughter, but in my books negligence causing death should still be on the table. I find it beyond irresponsible not to personally check a firearm, it takes 3 seconds. We'll see if that's supported by law though. He may not have had a duty of care under the law.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I see it as being much the same as losing a tire off your car shortly after getting new tires. You are responsible for the safe operating condition of your car, but you should not have to check that the expert tightened the lug nuts properly. All these experts have to be of some use.

Reactions: The_Foxer

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I see it as being much the same as losing a tire off your car shortly after getting new tires. You are responsible for the safe operating condition of your car, but you should not have to check that the expert tightened the lug nuts properly. All these experts have to be of some use.
It's a valid argument as well. Honestly i'm a little torn. If you can't rely on the pros then why have them. But at the same time it's irresponsible not to take simple steps yourself to make sure no mistakes were made. I feel like there SHOULD be an expectation that's understood that this responsibility exists, but that doesn't mean that such an expectation did exist at the time of the shooting. It might well be argued either way.

Moving forward tho basic gun safety SHOULD be mandatory for those handling guns.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
To be fair, it only takes a few seconds to check a firearm and make sure it isn't loaded, or that it's loaded with dummies. And it honestly requires no expertise whatsoever, especially in this case where it was a revolver.

Reactions: The_Foxer

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Alec Baldwin will not be charged over shooting injury of ‘Rust’ director
Bang Showbiz
Published Jan 22, 2023 • 2 minute read

Alec Baldwin will not be charged over the shooting injury of Rust director Joel Souza.

The announcement was made by the New Mexico district attorney after the 64-year-old actor was charged with involuntary manslaughter over the death of the film’s cinematographer Halyna Hutchins, killed when a prop gun went off during rehearsals on the Rust set in October 2021.

Joel was hospitalized after he was injured by the same bullet that killed Halyna, but it emerged on Sunday Alec will not be facing a charge over the injury as there is no “unintentional battery” charge that would apply in the case.

Battery generally requires proof of intention and prosecutors are not alleging Alec intentionally fired the bullet.

Joel, 49, is reportedly due to resume his role of director on Rust, with Alec also set to return to the project.

Alec is still facing an involuntary manslaughter over the death of mom-of-one Halyna, 41.

The head armourer on Rust, Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, faces the same charge, and both face a maximum of five years in prison if found guilty.

Santa Fe’s District Attorney Mary Carmack-Altwies said the charges will be filed by the end of the month.

She added in a statement: “Actor and producer Alec Baldwin and armourer Hannah Gutierrez-Reed will each be charged with two counts of involuntary manslaughter.

“After a thorough review of the evidence… I have determined that there is sufficient evidence.

“On my watch, no-one is above the law, and everyone deserves justice.”

Assistant Director Dave Halls has agreed to a plea deal on the charge of negligent use of a deadly weapon and will receive six months’ probation and a suspended prison sentence.

Alec has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing and insisted Dave said he was being handed a “cold” gun – meaning it was unloaded and safe.

The 30 Rock actor previously insisted he did not pull the trigger when Halyna was shot, but the FBI tested the weapon and later issued a report that concluded it would not have fired if someone had not pulled the trigger.

Halyna’s death was previously ruled an accident but her family filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Alec and others involved in the production of Rust.

The lawsuit was settled last October, and it was agreed filming would resume on the western, with the cinematographer’s widower, Matthew Hutchins, on board as an executive producer.

Matthew has said he has “no interest” in apportioning blame for his wife’s death and wants to pay tribute to her “final work.”