whats in a name?

Hoof Hearted

House Member
Jul 23, 2016
What the stunned snowflakes fail to grasp is that great people often have great vices. Churchill was a boozer...Kennedy was a womanizer...Jarad from the Subway ads was a pedophile (joking)...etc.

And I agree, it's awfully disingenuous to apply today's standards against different eras. My father is/ was a wonderful person. But we drove around as kids in the wood-paneled station wagon with no seatbelts...rolling around in the back with the groceries...while Dad chain smoked in the front seat. He'd be blackballed by the community and considered an evil person by today's revisionist lens.

Unconventional individuals become great leaders.

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
watched a pretty damn good series a few months ago. TURИ Washington's Spies

one can only speculate as to the reasons idiot executives cancelled it before the whole story was completed
but the last episode of season 4 summed things up pretty well - even made our dear Lord Simcoe's monstrous role in it all almost forgivable

I don't know, but given today's rabid cancel-culture of toppling statues of past figures, if John Graves Simcoe really did half the heinous things he is portrayed to have done in this historical series, then I'd say expunge his name from lakes, towns, counties, schools and any other structures/buildings and anywhere else it may appear. His time was before Canada became a country anyway, so the dude ain't even Canadian. fuck 'im

only allow the townships named after Lady Simcoe's dogs to remain the same, as dogs, at least, have more honour than that murderous clown who became Upper Canada's first governor

but season 4's last episode at least gave him credit for a change of heart and perhaps I suppose an ounce of redemption which I can't even be too sure about

1683554899583.png

Last edited:

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I grew up in west end T.O. and nobody called baby point "bobby" point.

of course it's possible, and in this light "likely", we just didn't know how it was properly pronounced. Still, first time hearing the pronunciation in the OP video.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
watched a pretty damn good series a few months ago. TURИ Washington's Spies

one can only speculate as to the reasons idiot executives cancelled it before the whole story was completed
but the last episode of season 4 summed things up pretty well - even made our dear Lord Simcoe's monstrous role in it all almost forgivable

I don't know, but given today's rabid cancel-culture of toppling statues of past figures, if John Graves Simcoe really did half the heinous things he is portrayed to have done in this historical series, then I'd say expunge his name from lakes, towns, counties, schools and any other structures/buildings and anywhere else it may appear. His time was before Canada became a country anyway, so the dude ain't even Canadian. fuck 'im

only allow the townships named after Lady Simcoe's dogs to remain the same, as dogs, at least, have more honour than that murderous clown who became Upper Canada's first governor

but season 4's last episode at least gave him credit for a change of heart and perhaps I suppose an ounce of redemption which I can't even be too sure about

View attachment 18126
Eliminating slavery in Canada apparently wipes out all the other shit.

I believe it ended because they used the Murdoch Mysteries set and it didn't get a lease renewal.

Reactions: 55Mercury

55Mercury

rigid member
May 31, 2007
I remember being pissed when the city renamed Oakmount Park (on Oakmount Ave) to Park Lithuania some 50 years ago. like wtf?

There weren't even all that many lugans in the hood. there were more honkies 'n polaks 'n estonians, slovenians, etc., than there were lugans.

but, you know social engineers - they just can't leave well enough alone!