The NDP Universal Pharmacare Announcement

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
Is anyone surprised that Justin Trudeau's lap dog caved on Universal Pharma-care and took the consolation prize?

I heard Jagmeet Singh do an interview on Global's, 630 CHED and he was excited. When the interviewer pressed him on why it would be only two drugs he said, "Do you know what this means? People with diabetes and women won't have to pay for contraceptives in Canada.

" Yes, the interviewer said, "But that's not Universal Pharma-care."

Singh tried to avoid answering the question, but finally relented and said, "There isn't going to be a universal pharma-care under the Liberal government. This is the best were going to get, so if you want Universal Pharma-care you have to vote for an NDP Government." I've quoted what he said, but it is not verbatim.

I wonder how stupid Jagmeet thinks Canadians are.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Universal sans at least two provinces . It covers diabetes and contraception, does that qualify for universal ?
Sans at least two provinces, so far. I’m assuming others will come forward also saying, “Just give us the money for core healthcare services and we will apply it where we need it!” as healthcare is a provincial jurisdiction, not federal, and the provinces were not consulted on this.
Singh….finally relented and said, "There isn't going to be a universal pharma-care under the Liberal government. This is the best were going to get, so if you want Universal Pharma-care you have to vote for an NDP Government." I've quoted what he said, but it is not verbatim.
1709404793044.jpeg
1709404980754.jpeg
Canadians seem to have finally woken up, so maybe not that stupid? 338Canada doesn’t update for another day or two, so we’ll see to compare the new projections to those from last Monday to see what difference this latest NDP/Liberal announcement (and whatever other Liberal/NDP scandals come out this week) makes.

The Liberal government is politically weaker than it was when it signed the “Honk-Honk Handshake” deal with the NDP in 2022, and the New Democrats are now raising the stakes (in Poker it’s called Bluffing) and asking for more to keep their support, said Karl Bélanger, president of Traxxion Stratégies and former NDP national director. He said the brinksmanship comes with risks because he doesn’t believe it’s in either party’s interest for their agreement to fall apart.
1709406519314.jpeg

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Is anyone surprised that Justin Trudeau's lap dog caved on Universal Pharma-care and took the consolation prize?
“Canada’s pharmacare bill has officially been introduced in Parliament,” Global News announced.

“Deal on pharmacare bill has been reached with Liberals ahead of March deadline, NDP says,” was the Canadian Press headline.
I heard Jagmeet Singh do an interview on Global's, 630 CHED and he was excited. When the interviewer pressed him on why it would be only two drugs he said, "Do you know what this means? People with diabetes and women won't have to pay for contraceptives in Canada.
Folks, there is no pharmacare to dismantle. There isn’t even a deal on pharmacare to dismantle — or to walk away from, to abandon or to otherwise disrespect. Almost literally nothing has happened to underpin this news cycle.
" Yes, the interviewer said, "But that's not Universal Pharma-care."
What we have is Bill C-64, “An act respecting pharmacare.” Excluding preamble and title page, it is four-and-a-half pages long (two-and-a-quarter really, since it’s bilingual), and it most certainly does not bind the government to implementing a national pharmacare program — which it can’t do on its own anyway, health care being provincial jurisdiction.
Singh tried to avoid answering the question, but finally relented and said, "There isn't going to be a universal pharma-care under the Liberal government.
Paragraph three sets out the purpose of the bill, which is “to guide efforts to improve … the accessibility and affordability of prescription drugs … in collaboration with the provinces, territories, Indigenous peoples and other partners and stakeholders, with the aim of continuing to work toward the implementation of national universal pharmacare.”
This is the best we’re going to get, so if you want Universal Pharma-care you have to vote for an NDP Government." I've quoted what he said, but it is not verbatim.
To guide efforts to improve access to prescription drugs…with the aim of continuing to work toward the implementation of national universal pharmacare.
The Liberals’ and NDP’s “deal on pharmacare,” as CBC News described it, was big news all week. It was a condition of the NDP maintaining its supply-and-confidence agreement with the government (or at least, party leader Jagmeet Singh said it was) so it had major political ramifications (if we assume Singh was actually serious about withdrawing support, which we certainly should not).

This is the central absurdity of the whole pharmacare discussion: Its proponents frame it as a matter of simple social justice. But by the government’s own account, roughly 80 per cent of us already have what it considers “adequate” prescription-drug coverage. The Conference Board of Canada estimates more than 97 per cent of Canadians have at least some coverage.

What kind of “national pharmacare plan” do you really have if you don’t yet even have a list of the drugs it would cover? I submit you have no national pharmacare plan at all — certainly not one anyone or any province would choose over the coverage the vast majority of Canadians already have without a whole lot more information.

Outside the non-coalition coalition that’s definitely not a coalition-type coalition supply-and-confidence bubble in which the Liberals and NDP (and apparently some media) live, what both parties need to sell Canadians on is trading their existing plans, however imperfect, for a new plan, designed in Ottawa, that would cover … well, they’ll get back to you on that.
Universal sans at least two provinces . It covers diabetes and contraception, does that qualify for universal ?
Here’s what the bill says: “The Minister may, if the Minister has entered into an agreement with a province or territory to do so, make payments to the province or territory in order to increase any existing public pharmacare coverage … for specific prescription drugs and related products intended for contraception or the treatment of diabetes.”

Why would anyone do that? Why would any province do that on its people’s behalf? MPs and civil servants no doubt associate government with gold-standard health-care coverage; the rest of us, including the millions of Canadians who already rely on various government programs, do not.

At the moment, thanks to public and private drug insurance plans, just under 90 per cent of the Canadian population has drug insurance. That still leaves 4.9 million of our fellow citizens who, for a variety of reasons, have no insurance at all. Among these, the most vulnerable are surely the 1.1 million Canadians who are not eligible for any coverage, be it public or private.
Maybe we could have just figured out some kind of safety net for the 10%-ish that don’t have a plan?

A targeted program aimed at this latter category of citizens would have the benefit of improving their access to health care without jeopardizing the access of tens of millions of Canadians for whom the current system works much better.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
1709480368630.jpeg
On Thursday, the government tabled Bill C-64, the pharmacare act, to comply with a deal reached with the New Democrats, who had set a Friday deadline for when the legislation leading to future legislation (?) needed to be introduced in order to maintain the non-coalition coalition etc…confidence-and-supply agreement that has been keeping the Liberals in power until Oct 2025 Rick, regardless of what they do or what comes out about what they’ve already done, scandal and ethics wise…& the last couple weeks there’s been some real doozies.
Thankfully for those left leaning people in Canada, the NDP/Liberals have demonstrated that they are a viable alternative to the Liberal/NDP when Jagmeet & Justin Decide that the Canadian public might be informed enough to vote in another federal election again.
1709481031482.jpeg

Reactions: Taxslave2

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I know that is supposed to be a rhetorical question, but look how many voted NDP. SO pretty stupid.
Those folks will never change their vote, they are like Hardcore Trump or Trudeau supporters.
They aren't as much stupid, as brainwashed.
I'm referencing the remainder who think critically.

Reactions: Ron in Regina