Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I don’t think you’re a Liberal Commie. I do think we all have our own personal bias and opinions…& without that we’d all be pretty generic and boring. We all come here to share our opinions and “LISTEN” to the opinions of others to find different perspectives and middle ground….or not.

Sometimes we share an opinion, and sometimes we don’t. Sometimes someone presents an eloquent argument or very valid points contrary to our own opinions and biases…and that’s a good thing. I don’t have to agree with the opinion to appreciate how it’s presented.

This time, on this topic, I concur with your assessment of the situation. Can’t offer much debate on this. “The Sound Of Music” is set in Austria on the eve of the Anschluss in 1938, the musical tells the story of Maria, who takes a job as governess to a large family while she decides whether to become a nun. She falls in love with the children, and eventually their widowed father, Captain von Trapp. He is ordered to accept a commission in the German navy, but he opposes the Nazis. He and Maria decide on a plan to flee Austria with the children.

That’s the story being told in this musical play. Captain von Trapp doesn’t oppose the Federal Republic of Tonga, Or Recycling, or wearing hats in restaurants; but he does oppose the Nazis.

I admit that I’ve only made it 4 minutes into the podcast at this point, so that’s what I’m basing things on at this point. I can only imagine the conniption this snowflake would have with the movie “Inglorious Bastards.”

The polarization of society at this point is a reality, with the need to rewrite history to suite a portion of the above society’s idea of…..I don’t know. Defacing or Ripping down statues that someone doesn’t agree with that figures role in history has become acceptable, but putting a ball cap & flag (temporary things that cause no physical damage) on one…whomever did it (?) is a national (to some) outrage. I don’t agree with either, but there’s a sliding scale to the above & I don’t understand why one is acceptable where the other isn’t.

John A McDonald was a corrupt drunk bastard, but he was real, and he was ours, and a piece of our history regardless of our personal opinions of him. Same with Pierre Elliott Trudeau. Personally I think defacing or ripping down their statues to attempt to erase and rewrite history is wrong, but currently that’s acceptable by a portion of society and it is what it is. I’m assuming the same people defacing these statues aren’t gathering as many $10 Bills of their own to publicly burn to protest John A McDonald but that’s neither here nor there.

I suppose, to satisfy this one dude, and probably a few others, the whole Hammerstein production of “The Sound Of Music” can be rewritten to substitute the Nazis of Germany in 1938 to the Opera Singers of Italy of the same (or different) era, & the swastika can be replaced with this:
1677937854075.jpeg
…because that’s not the story that Howard Lindsay & Russel Crouse where trying to tell…but it sanitizes it into something…different. Things like this make me wonder what future generations will think of our current snapshot in time.

Currently ISIS or IS and their offshoots are actively defacing or destroying archeological treasures that conflict with their political and religious beliefs…& should we feel outrage or indifference or acceptance to this process? Is it really much different than ripping down statues in Canada, or this toad’s demands (suggestions?) to rework “The Sound Of Music” to fit his political and religious beliefs to his specific comfort zone?

I’m not advocating that UNESCO declare statues of John A or Pierre E or The Sound Of Music in things of world heritage for future generations, but merely to step back and see the Forest for the trees.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Defacing or Ripping down statues that someone doesn’t agree with that figures role in history has become acceptable, but putting a ball cap & flag (temporary things that cause no physical damage) on one…whomever did it (?) is a national (to some) outrage. I don’t agree with either, but there’s a sliding scale to the above & I don’t understand why one is acceptable where the other isn’t.
I came up with some middle ground for our local John A statue in Vic park.

Put a Dead Pool mask on John A. Its quiets the the woke and satisfies those wanting a Dead Pool statue.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I did go back to listen to the remaining 10 minutes of that podcast, and for justification of his own belief system, Buddy checked off the rest of the currently correct boxes as this might offend Jews (check) and Ukrainians (check) and the LGBTQ community (check) and “won’t somebody think of the children?” (check).
I came up with some middle ground for our local John A statue in Vic park.

Put a Dead Pool mask on John A. Its quiets the the woke and satisfies those wanting a Dead Pool statue.
Was there public (or a portion of the public) outrage? If so I missed it but I’ve been busy. I appreciate the humour and the fact that it wasn’t permanent like spray paint or a sledgehammer…but that’s just me. A Dead Pool mask is pretty awesome & I’m mentally picturing it slipped into a Pat Fiasco “I Love Regina” commercial.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Yes. There was/is some Native women who went off about removing John A. If they weren't jumping on a woke bandwagon against John A they could have had to time learn about Robert Borden who was 10x the oppressor John A was.

I'll admit it, I'd like see Borden shamed but never erased or forgotten. If we as mammals allegedly learn from our mistakes then need to be front and center.

And then there is the untouchable Tommy Douglas.. his real reasons for public health provided by the State are unfathomable. He was tapping into what Lenin, Stalin Mussolini and Hitler were doing and did it with few barriers. I'll draw quite a few parallels if requested.

As Canadians we are in a unique position. If I want to learn about history going back to when Canada was 60 years old we can ask someone who is still alive. Some are our parents.

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I did go back to listen to the remaining 10 minutes of that podcast, and for justification of his own belief system, Buddy checked off the rest of the currently correct boxes as this might offend Jews (check) and Ukrainians (check) and the LGBTQ community (check) and “won’t somebody think of the children?” (check).

Was there public (or a portion of the public) outrage? If so I missed it but I’ve been busy. I appreciate the humour and the fact that it wasn’t permanent like spray paint or a sledgehammer…but that’s just me. A Dead Pool mask is pretty awesome & I’m mentally picturing it slipped into a Pat Fiasco “I Love Regina” commercial.

From when I listened to the podcast, he's the only one to have lodged complaints. Overall the play has had a positive feedback from what I've seen from the theatre's facebook page.

I will say that while he might have had a point about the school kids, from the sounds of it when he raised the issue to people, they used it as a teaching tool (which makes me wonder if they already planned to do so).

Ironically I've a co-worker who is going to see the play today. When I mentioned it to her, she gave me that "are you kidding" look. She agreed he obviously hasn't seen the movie in a long, long time.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The play is set in 1938, based on a memoir from 1949, and produced in 1959. I don’t think that was a time (1959) on Broadway that they were glorifying Nazism regardless of what Mr. Snowflake believes.

I will say that while he might have had a point about the school kids, from the sounds of it when he raised the issue to people, they used it as a teaching tool (which makes me wonder if they already planned to do so).
I think you are Spot On in your assessment. It’s telling that his is the only complaint (I caught that too), but squeaky wheels, etc…

Reactions: Taxslave2

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
The play is set in 1938, based on a memoir from 1949, and produced in 1959. I don’t think that was a time (1959) on Broadway that they were glorifying Nazism regardless of what Mr. Snowflake believes.

I think you are Spot On in your assessment. It’s telling that his is the only complaint (I caught that too), but squeaky wheels, etc…
It's problematic that this made airing.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
if mum had been here i would have gotten her the 60th anniversary cd and dvd. 💿 📀