Public Inquiries into Emergencies Act begin September 19

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Commissioner Lucki first told the inquiry that she briefed cabinet’s incident response group on Feb. 13 about her view on the Emergencies Act and the finalized police operations plan in Ottawa. But after commission counsel Gordon Cameron presented her with two different documents that showed she didn’t, she acknowledged she likely had not.

Those same notes detail a finalized plan to bring an end to the protests that had gridlocked downtown Ottawa. The notes say that Commissioner Lucki and Ontario Provincial Police Commissioner Thomas Carrique both supported the plan.

“Did it occur to you that you should make sure that government was aware of your views on these points before it came to land on the invocation of the Emergencies Act?,” Mr. Cameron asked Commissioner Lucki.

“I guess in hindsight, yeah, that might have been something significant,” she replied.

Whoopsies?

Reactions: Dixie Cup

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I mean the Govt. It's all snowballing. There are more sin taxes hitting soon.
In 2017, then finance minister Bill Morneau included a two per cent hike in beer taxes in his budget. More iniquitous was the decision to increase the price on beer, wine and spirits every year thereafter at the rate of inflation — an escalator provision that next April will increase beer taxes by 6.3 per cent.

The cost increase is eye-popping enough, but what is truly galling is that the finance minister will be able to stand in the House of Commons and claim that the government has not imposed any new taxes on alcohol. Technically, that’s true. But that’s the iniquity of an escalator tax — it severs the link between an increase in taxation and ministerial responsibility.

Whoopsies? Again? Still?

There are no other taxes in Canada that rise automatically with inflation, and in her next budget Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland should kill the undemocratic beer tax escalator.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Vape tax hit right away, brewers just raised beer prices thanks to logistic costs which up's GST revenue.

Last edited:

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
The day before Prime Minister Justin Trudeau invoked the Emergencies Act, his government was advised by Canada’s spy agency that the Freedom Convoy wasn’t a threat to national security and wasn’t under the sway of any foreign power.

Despite that document, tabled at the EA inquiry, Trudeau invoked the EA within hours of receiving the threat assessment by the Canadian Security Intelligence Service.
Obviously, the decision to invoke the EA was the responsibility of the Trudeau government, not CSIS or any other policing agency.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
Obviously, the decision to invoke the EA was the responsibility of the Trudeau government, not CSIS or any other policing agency.

And that's become crystal clear during this inquiry. Further it's pretty clear that it was trudeau that was driving this. There's no way at this point the gov't can convincingly claim they had credible reason to believe that the convoy represented a threat to the country.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
And that's become crystal clear during this inquiry. Further it's pretty clear that it was trudeau that was driving this. There's no way at this point the gov't can convincingly claim they had credible reason to believe that the convoy represented a threat to the country.
So then, “So what?” A big Meh…?

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
So then, “So what?” A big Meh…?
In terms of consequences for his overreach and oppression? Sure. Except it will hurt him personally on the international opinion circuit and he does care about that. I mean he'll be 'officially' a tyrant -wannabe at that point ;)

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
In terms of consequences for his overreach and oppression? Sure. Except it will hurt him personally on the international opinion circuit and he does care about that. I mean he'll be 'officially' a tyrant -wannabe at that point ;)
I don't think it will hurt him in any way. Most of those leaders are just like him.....Better than the peasants.

The_Foxer

House Member
Aug 9, 2022
I don't think it will hurt him in any way. Most of those leaders are just like him.....Better than the peasants.
Without a doubt but they're also all fierce hypocrites who love to virtue signal by calling out people who just got caught for doing the same things they do but haven't been caught for :) He took a hit when he first called for the act and he'll take another one now but in the long run it means nothing. HE'll still get to go on speaking tours for 30,000 dollars per appearance and have his nice fat pension which i believe starts at 50? So he already qualifies for it when he finally does give up politics. Between the two he'll rake in about 500-600 thousand dollars a year for doing basically nothing, and i'm sure that'll be some consolation :)

• Sad

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Every time I crawl under a truck I come out with blackface. Is that cultural appropriation?

It still amazes me as to how this blackface racist Trudeau can still be the dicktator of Canada? It just shows me that the liberals can do whatever they dam well please, and the phony Canadian media will back them up and let them off the hook. There are certain sets of rules for liberals, and then there are other certain sets of rules for conservatives. :unsure:

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020

The Trudeau cabinet was fully briefed ahead of invoking the Emergencies Act that there was no threat to national security, as required by the law. That assessment came from the Canadian Security Intelligence Service (CSIS), the agency tasked with making such assessments.
Sec. 2 of the CSIS Act spells out the criteria of a threat, including espionage or sabotage, foreign influenced activities, the use or threat of violence for political goals and using unlawful acts to overthrow the government. CSIS examined the situation and didn’t find anything happening that met the legal threshold, including foreign donations made online to support the convoy.

Covid was all just bullshit. Climate change is all just bullshit. The truckers being considered terrorist is all more bullshit. We have a big problem in this country. We have politicians and the media that like and enjoy lying to we the peasants. If it does not fit their lefty liberal narrative, then it must meet and be treated and defined as terrorism or racism. Sadly, there are way too many dolt peasants out there that will believe their lies and bullshit. (n)

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Without a doubt but they're also all fierce hypocrites who love to virtue signal by calling out people who just got caught for doing the same things they do but haven't been caught for :) He took a hit when he first called for the act and he'll take another one now but in the long run it means nothing. HE'll still get to go on speaking tours for 30,000 dollars per appearance and have his nice fat pension which i believe starts at 50? So he already qualifies for it when he finally does give up politics. Between the two he'll rake in about 500-600 thousand dollars a year for doing basically nothing, and i'm sure that'll be some consolation :)

The dictator in Ottawa knows that he will not face any consequences for his actions and knows that he can buffoon most Canadians all the time and get away with it. This dicktator laughs at Canadians every day and gets away with it thanks to those lefty liberals here who see the turd as god's gift to Canada. (n)

taxme

Time Out
Feb 11, 2020
Exactly. While it opens what the government did so we know what happened, there are no consequences so really, what's the point if we can't hold anyone responsible? The Cpc want an inquiry on how covid was handled & again, what's the point? In 3 years, everyone will forget so Trudeau doesn't give a crap & will continue to penalize as he sees fit.

So true. Most Canadians will forget what even happened to them yesterday. Nobody really gives a crap. And those same Canadians would probably vote back in the Marxist arse hole. I know that most Canadians do not give a shit because no one I know or casually talk too ever talks about it. Our politicians could turn Canada communist tomorrow and most Canadian will just shrug their shoulders and say so what. Communism must be better than conservatism. Phkn bone heads. :sick: