Pro-Palestine Anti-Israel College Campus Protests

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
As a civil libertarian, I find it concerning to see cops on campus in riot gear considering universities are supposed to be places where people can express the most controversial ideas. There’s a good argument to be made that these demonstrations should be allowed to continue so long as they’re not impeding students’ learning or causing serious safety risks. But, as much as it pains me to say it, I don’t believe dismantling the encampments would necessarily violate the Charter.

There are three reasons for this. First, it’s debatable whether occupations and encampments are forms of expression that the Charter protects. Second, universities might not be the type of place where the Charter applies. Finally, universities enforcing property rights might not be engaged in state action, and state action is required for the Charter to apply.

It isn’t certain whether an occupation or encampment is a form of protected expression.
It’s also unclear whether the Charter applies to campus “quads,” but I suspect it does not.

The actual function of a university campus includes the hosting of gatherings and protests, but it’s questionable whether this would include long-term, highly disruptive occupations. The university quad works as a shared space that people use for hours at a time to picnic, throw a frisbee — and, yes, sometimes to protest. At the U of T and McGill, it’s also the place where convocation ceremonies often take place.

In my view, pitching a few tents to protest may be compatible with the function of a big open green space on campus. It’s less obvious that a large, weeks-long occupation that kills the grass, poses safety risks and prevents other students from enjoying the space or attending a convocation ceremony is compatible.

If universities decide to enforce their property rights against weeks-long occupations that cause demonstrable harms, I’m not convinced the Charter would stand in their way.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
I also enjoyed “Revenge of the Nerds” back in the mid-80’s…but this is something different again. This DEI brainwashed rhetoric to draw in the useful idiots seems to….ugh…I’m not sure how to word this without coming off as completely dismissive.
View attachment 22035
I don’t even pretend to know more about this conflict than I do, but in the last seven months we’ve all had sort of a crash course on this goat rodeo. The absolutely clueless protesters camping out potentially indefinitely…so many seem to know next to nothing about what they’re protesting not only against, but for. It’s bizarre.

In these sort’a things, I look at who’s hiding their identities as protestors or counter protestors, vs who isn’t. That alone is usually quite telling.
View attachment 22036
Then is the one on the left below the only one double-vax’d against Jew Cooties?
View attachment 22037
Then all the ones below realize that COVID has come and gone already?
View attachment 22038
This could all be a coincidence, but probably not.
From some of the articles I have read, at least some protestors are being paid between $100-150 a day. I guess sitting around being an embarrassment to your family for $150 is better than working for $400 a day.

Reactions: Ron in Regina