Michael Mantha removed from Ontario NDP caucus amid workplace investigation

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Michael Mantha removed from Ontario NDP caucus amid workplace investigation
Author of the article:Canadian Press
Canadian Press
Published Apr 01, 2023 • 1 minute read

The leader of Ontario’s new democrats says she’s removed longtime party member Michael Mantha from caucus amid an independent investigation into alleged workplace misconduct.

Marit Stiles announced the move in a release issued Saturday, but said she could not share further details in order to protect the privacy of the complainant.

A high-ranking NDP source who was not able to discuss the matter publicly says that when Stiles took over as leader and was briefed on the situation, she asked Mantha to take a leave.

The source says the investigation is ongoing, but based on the information gathered so far, Stiles informed Mantha on Friday that she was removing him from caucus.

The NDP has a history of attracting people who hold anti-Semitic views, so questions about their Hamilton candidate are justified, writes columnist Brian Lilley.
Mantha has served as an NDP MPP since first being elected in 2011 to represent the northern Ontario riding of Algoma-Manitoulin.

He most recently served as the party’s mining and natural resources critic until March 29, when his critic portfolio was reduced to mining alone, a position he no longer holds with his departure from the caucus.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
A high-ranking NDP source who was not able to discuss the matter publicly says that when Stiles took over as leader and was briefed on the situation, she asked Mantha to take a leave.

The source says the investigation is ongoing, but based on the information gathered so far, Stiles informed Mantha on Friday that she was removing him from caucus.
OK, buttoned lips at this point. Get it.
The NDP has a history of attracting people who hold anti-Semitic views, so questions about their Hamilton candidate are justified, writes columnist Brian Lilley.
Then this? This is a weird sentence to follow in the story.

So is it Ontario NDP Provincially, and the Green Party Federally if a person is an anti-Semitic (?) or is this just kind of a far left of centre thing?

Tried googling and got nowhere. Found some pretty weird political compass’s though.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC

So is it Ontario NDP Provincially, and the Green Party Federally if a person is an anti-Semitic (?) or is this just kind of a far left of centre thing?

Tried googling and got nowhere. Found some pretty weird political compass’s though.
I think the terms "left" and "right" fit poorly here. If anything, it's a demonstration that the left/right dichotomy is a sadly inadequate way to express (or assume) political positions.

Which, of course, makes it a great way to bash themmuns.

Reactions: Taxslave2

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
So anti-Semitic views isn’t a Left/Right thing, but certain political parties attract it. I just find it weird & tried to find a pattern quickly, but there wasn’t one, or doesn’t seem to be one.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
So anti-Semitic views isn’t a Left/Right thing, but certain political parties attract it. I just find it weird & tried to find a pattern quickly, but there wasn’t one, or doesn’t seem to be one.
From my purely unscientific observations, usually right (conservative (small c)) groups tend to be more pro-Israel. Left wing groups tend to be pro-Palistinian which does tend to translate to anti-Israel as apparently one must take a side and assume one side is absolutely in the right and hard done upon and the other is absolutely wrong.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I'd want more evidence that any given political party attracts it.

Down hereabouts, anti-Semitism is rife among Black people, many of whom, despite being typically associated with "the left," claim that "Jews" had a large and culpable role in the slave trade (tolerance/acceptance of LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ people is also lower among Black Americans than White Americans, apparently contradicting the left/right dichotomy).

At some point, when your model racks up enough incorrect assumptions, it's time to scrap the model.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
From my purely unscientific observations, usually right (conservative (small c)) groups tend to be more pro-Israel. Left wing groups tend to be pro-Palistinian which does tend to translate to anti-Israel as apparently one must take a side and assume one side is absolutely in the right and hard done upon and the other is absolutely wrong.
Yep. The presumption that to be anti-Israel (or more specifically anti-whatever Israel happens to be doing at the moment) means one is anti-Semitic is a false equivalence designed to bully critics into silence. Nothing more.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
I got nothing beyond news stories, usually with political leanings. In almost 55 years on the planet. I’ve yet to meet anybody or have a conversation with anyone where it’s come up that they happened to be Jewish. Ever. Seriously. It’s just not a thing. At least here anyway.

I probably know people who are Jewish, but it’s just never come up.

I’ve seen that star of David symbol on the front of buildings, so I’m assuming that they are synagogues, but that’s about it.
Down hereabouts, anti-Semitism is rife among Black people, many of whom, despite being typically associated with "the left," claim that "Jews" had a large and culpable role in the slave trade (tolerance/acceptance of LGBTQRSTUVWXYZ people is also lower among Black Americans than White Americans, apparently contradicting the left/right dichotomy).
I live on the prairies, and I’ve never actually met anybody in person who was anti-Semitic, or if I did, it just never came up in conversation. Up and over this way it’s pretty high numbers of conservatives though so maybe that does or doesn’t have a bearing on the fact that I’ve never met someone who was openly anti-Semitic?
At some point, when your model racks up enough incorrect assumptions, it's time to scrap the model.
As I read the new story early this morning, that mentioned in one sentence, that almost seemed like an afterthought to the new story, that the Ontario NDP has a history of attracting anti-Semitic candidates, I found it odd, and that’s why I went searching and didn’t find anything really.

In the whole weird federal Green Party Leadership thing, it came up repeatedly about anti-Semitism in the news, as it seems that it’s almost a prerequisite for that party, and that Annemae (I’m not sure of the spelling and I can see it spelled four different ways) Paul, being a Black Jewish Lesbian or whatever wasn’t anti-Semitic enough to be their national leader. She was able to check off a lot of the boxes, but not enough of them it seems. That seemed weird all by itself.

If you want links, I can Google and find them, or you can Google and find them.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
I got nothing beyond news stories, usually with political leanings. In almost 55 years on the planet. I’ve yet to meet anybody or have a conversation with anyone where it’s come up that they happened to be Jewish. Ever. Seriously. It’s just not a thing. At least here anyway.

I probably know people who are Jewish, but it’s just never come up.

I’ve seen that star of David symbol on the front of buildings, so I’m assuming that they are synagogues, but that’s about it.

I live on the prairies, and I’ve never actually met anybody in person who was anti-Semitic, or if I did, it just never came up in conversation. Up and over this way it’s pretty high numbers of conservatives though so maybe that does or doesn’t have a bearing on the fact that I’ve never met someone who was openly anti-Semitic?

As I read the new story early this morning, that mentioned in one sentence, that almost seemed like an afterthought to the new story, that the Ontario NDP has a history of attracting anti-Semitic candidates, I found it odd, and that’s why I went searching and didn’t find anything really.

In the whole weird federal Green Party Leadership thing, it came up repeatedly about anti-Semitism in the news, as it seems that it’s almost a prerequisite for that party, and that Annemae (I’m not sure of the spelling and I can see it spelled four different ways) Paul, being a Black Jewish Lesbian or whatever wasn’t anti-Semitic enough to be their national leader. She was able to check off a lot of the boxes, but not enough of them it seems. That seemed weird all by itself.

If you want links, I can Google and find them, or you can Google and find them.
It is rare that a person’s faith will come up in normal conversation unless faith is one’s sole identity . Those are forced to insert it into conversation . I must admit to not knowing how or if most of my friends practice .

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
I think the terms "left" and "right" fit poorly here. If anything, it's a demonstration that the left/right dichotomy is a sadly inadequate way to express (or assume) political positions.

Which, of course, makes it a great way to bash themmuns.
Yup, In Europe, they call Conservatives "right of centre" however, in Canada, they're the "extreme right". What the only thing that is extreme about the Conservatives is that they have common sense ideas but apparently, common sense has now become racist so I'm not quite sure where we're going from here. If everything is racist (even math) than nothing is racist as far as I'm concerned.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Yup, In Europe, they call Conservatives "right of centre" however, in Canada, they're the "extreme right". What the only thing that is extreme about the Conservatives is that they have common sense ideas but apparently, common sense has now become racist so I'm not quite sure where we're going from here. If everything is racist (even math) than nothing is racist as far as I'm concerned.
Yes, dear. Everybody's mean to poor li'l Dix.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

Don't forget the federal Dipper bitch who who used Hitler as a source of "inspirational" quotes.

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons

The model is fine. It's the people that are fucked. When it comes to shit like anti-Semitism and other forms of racism or bigotry there is no ideological delineation. There are people on both sides of the spectrum who are racist assholes, period.