JFK told Secret Service to back off on assassination day

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
JFK told Secret Service to back off on assassination day
Author of the article:postmedia News
Publishing date:May 17, 2021 • 6 hours ago • 1 minute read • Join the conversation
President John F. Kennedy’s motorcade in Dallas before his assassination on November 22, 1963.
President John F. Kennedy’s motorcade in Dallas before his assassination on November 22, 1963. PHOTO BY SCREEN GRAB /AP FILE
Article content
JFK told the Secret Service to stay away.

So says a new book, Zero Fail: The Rise and Fall of the Secret Service.

Penned by Washington Post reporter Carol Leonnig and due out Tuesday, the book recounts presidential history from the service’s perspective.

On Nov. 18, 1963, during a campaign trip, President John F. Kennedy told Secret Service supervisor Floyd Boring that agents riding on special boards installed near the trunk of his car should instead tail from a follow-up vehicle, according to the New York Post.

“It’s excessive, Floyd. And it’s giving the wrong impression to people,” Kennedy said. “We’ve got an election coming up. The whole point is for me to be accessible to the people.”

JFK was assassinated four days later — and some agents wondered if that extra car length played a role in the president’s death.

Often, the book’s author recounts, manpower was no such much of an issue as was Kennedy himself, who would often ditch his guards, believing they were not effective.

MORE ON THIS TOPIC

Love letters JFK sent to a mistress are up for auction.
JFK's love letters to Swedish mistress up for grabs
Bob Fleming's photo of United States President John F Kennedy on October 3 1963 from his book Just Picture it Real Life... Real People... Real Stories Photo by Bob Fleming
LITWIN: JFK conspiracy nonsense snared a Canadian
Jean Kennedy Smith attends the 2014 Kennedy Center Honors Gala Dinner at the U.S. Department of State on Dec. 6, 2014 in Washington, D.C.
Jean Kennedy Smith, last surviving sibling of JFK, dead at 92

“If anyone is crazy enough to want to kill the president of the United States, he can do it,” Kennedy told his spokesperson. “All he must be prepared to do is give his life for the president’s.”

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
“I didn’t think about it at all for about 45 years, and at that point it was March 2014 and I started thinking that maybe it was time that I told my story,” Landis told People.

The Warren Commission, ordered by then-President Lyndon B. Johnson in 1964, determined that a bullet struck Kennedy from behind before exiting through his throat and continuing forward, hitting Texas Gov. John Connally in the back, thigh, chest and wrist.

However, Landis now says he moved evidence and put one of the bullets believed to have killed Kennedy in his pocket before placing it on the president’s hospital gurney. (Whoopsies)

Landis said he found the bullet at the time of the crime, stuck in the seat behind where Kennedy was sitting when the Lincoln Continental convertible arrived at hospital.

“I was just afraid that — it was a piece of evidence, that I realized right away. Very important. And I didn’t want it to disappear or get lost. So it was, ‘Paul, you’ve got to make a decision,’ and I grabbed it,'” Landis told the Times.

Landis said he was worried someone might try to take the bullet as a souvenir, so he pocketed it and laid it next to the president on his stretcher, hoping it would help doctors determine what happened.

Now, Landis, who was travelling in a vehicle behind Kennedy that fateful day, says he thinks the bullet may have fallen out of Kennedy’s back as he was removed from the vehicle.

He also surmises that the bullet may have shifted onto Connally’s stretcher at one point when the two stretchers were placed next to each other, explaining how the bullet was linked to Connally’s injuries in the first place.

He tells People that while he wrote two reports in the wake of the incident, he says they were both brief and he doesn’t remember the details of what was written, citing shock and sleep deprivation in the days following the tragic event.

“I just figured, well, I’m going to be questioned by the Warren Commission and I can tell my whole story then,” Landis says. “And that time never came.”

It wasn’t until 2014, while reading the book Six Seconds in Dallas, that he was reminded of the bullet. The book described the evidence as being found on Connally’s gurney.

“They showed a picture [of the bullet] in the book, and my reaction was, ‘Well, wait a minute. That’s the bullet that I put on President Kennedy’s stretcher.’ And that triggered some thoughts and I wondered what to do. How do I straighten this all out?”

Landis told the Times he is not trying to add fuel to any existing conspiracy theories or promote a new one.

“There’s no goal at this point,” he said. “I just think it had been long enough that I needed to tell my story.”

The Final Witness will hit bookstore shelves on Oct. 10. Its release comes less than a year after Biden’s White House directed the National Archives to release about 12,000 documents relating to the assassination.