Crisis in CAF Recruiting

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
While driving, the other morning I was listening to Edmonton radio station, 630 CHED. They announced they would be speaking to a Major about the recruiting issues the CAF is facing. So, I waited and when the Major came on they introduced him as retiring in six weeks and he chuckled. He was out stumping for young people to sign up for the Canadian military and the interviewer immediately said, "You are a gay man in the armed forces. That must have been tough."
There was a pause, clearly the major had been off guard regarding the question.
He recovered with, "Actually, no, my career has been very rewarding, a long time ago there were a few bumps, but that was a long time ago."

And therein lies one of the many crisis in recruiting.

The Canadian military has three fundamental problems with recruiting.
  • No Money
  • No Equipment
  • No People
CAF recruiting shortfalls have nothing to do with who you are sleeping with or want to sleep with. When I joined up in 86, my gun Battery had three gay men in it. None of those men were attacked. They were our friends; we ate with them, lived in the dirt and snow, and drank with them. Some of them left after their contract was up, and others stayed. One of those guys was probably the best soldier I ever served with. Sharp and disciplined, he was promoted to NCO early, not because he was gay, but because he knew the howitzer and gunnery like the back of his hand. He died about three years ago, and we mourned him at a recent reunion. In 1986, I was 21 years old when I stepped off the bus for basic training; now, I'm less than a year from 60 and shaking my head. Something progressives will never understand about soldiers is that there is a bond that is kinship. We call each other Brother or Sister as we also had outstanding female soldiers.

The Federal Government and the media have essentially turned bases in Canada into woke environments with rainbow crosswalks and safe spaces. They have destroyed the careers of soldiers. I won't list the generals, but there were many innocent casualties as a result of the feds firing high-ranking people without due process. They walked in and took equipment from every branch. When I left the 1st Regiment, they were 18 Howitzers strong. When they changed armament from 109 to M777 the regiment was reduced to twelve M777, and the feds came along and plucked four for Ukraine with no intention of replacement.

To say that the wokism hasn't contributed to this disaster would be unfair.
Unfair to the truth that is.

If you haven't been a soldier, it's hard to wrap your mind around the conditioning and training. You are broken down and built back up. A soldier is not an individual but a member of a unit that runs like a machine. You are committed to this unit and expected to lay down your life if necessary. You aren't allowed to be an activist; you are not allowed to be political, and you are not allowed to criticize your leadership. On the battlefield, a leader is tasked with tough decisions, and as an NCO, you need those soldiers to support the section or detachment; everyone lives to count on it. One individual is poison.

Instead, the armed forces have been gutted and strangled by progressive nonsense that has little or anything to do with national defense. Activism has no place in a military unit. The recruiting problem is because the pay sucks, the equipment sucks, and the morale sucks.

It doesn't look any better for the immediate future.

Why would anyone want to sign up for that?

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
While driving, the other morning I was listening to Edmonton radio station, 630 CHED. They announced they would be speaking to a Major about the recruiting issues the CAF is facing. So, I waited and when the Major came on they introduced him as retiring in six weeks and he chuckled. He was out stumping for young people to sign up for the Canadian military and the interviewer immediately said, "You are a gay man in the armed forces. That must have been tough."
There was a pause, clearly the major had been off guard regarding the question.
He recovered with, "Actually, no, my career has been very rewarding, a long time ago there were a few bumps, but that was a long time ago."

And therein lies one of the many crisis in recruiting.

The Canadian military has three fundamental problems with recruiting.
  • No Money
  • No Equipment
  • No People
CAF recruiting shortfalls have nothing to do with who you are sleeping with or want to sleep with. When I joined up in 86, my gun Battery had three gay men in it. None of those men were attacked. They were our friends; we ate with them, lived in the dirt and snow, and drank with them. Some of them left after their contract was up, and others stayed. One of those guys was probably the best soldier I ever served with. Sharp and disciplined, he was promoted to NCO early, not because he was gay, but because he knew the howitzer and gunnery like the back of his hand. He died about three years ago, and we mourned him at a recent reunion. In 1986, I was 21 years old when I stepped off the bus for basic training; now, I'm less than a year from 60 and shaking my head. Something progressives will never understand about soldiers is that there is a bond that is kinship. We call each other Brother or Sister as we also had outstanding female soldiers.

The Federal Government and the media have essentially turned bases in Canada into woke environments with rainbow crosswalks and safe spaces. They have destroyed the careers of soldiers. I won't list the generals, but there were many innocent casualties as a result of the feds firing high-ranking people without due process. They walked in and took equipment from every branch. When I left the 1st Regiment, they were 18 Howitzers strong. When they changed armament from 109 to M777 the regiment was reduced to twelve M777, and the feds came along and plucked four for Ukraine with no intention of replacement.

To say that the wokism hasn't contributed to this disaster would be unfair.
Unfair to the truth that is.

If you haven't been a soldier, it's hard to wrap your mind around the conditioning and training. You are broken down and built back up. A soldier is not an individual but a member of a unit that runs like a machine. You are committed to this unit and expected to lay down your life if necessary. You aren't allowed to be an activist; you are not allowed to be political, and you are not allowed to criticize your leadership. On the battlefield, a leader is tasked with tough decisions, and as an NCO, you need those soldiers to support the section or detachment; everyone lives to count on it. One individual is poison.

Instead, the armed forces have been gutted and strangled by progressive nonsense that has little or anything to do with national defense. Activism has no place in a military unit. The recruiting problem is because the pay sucks, the equipment sucks, and the morale sucks.

It doesn't look any better for the immediate future.

Why would anyone want to sign up for that?
Amen

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
For a young person there is a lot to learn and gain exposure to the latest and greatest. It's where the money is being spent. Not a bad place to spend 10 years learn a trade and earn a pension.
Im all for 2 years mandatory service. We'd have a much much different and saner society.

Reactions: TheShadow

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
For a young person there is a lot to learn and gain exposure to the latest and greatest. It's where the money is being spent. Not a bad place to spend 10 years learn a trade and earn a pension.
What planet are you from? The only money being spent is on Ukraine; the armed forces have been gutted. They cherry-picked the equipment, gave that to Ukraine, gave them what we have for ordinance, and cut the budget by a billion dollars. The funding you think they're getting are bullshit promises of F35s and frigates. The military does have something to offer young people, just not the present model which is on life support.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
What planet are you from? The only money being spent is on Ukraine; the armed forces have been gutted. They cherry-picked the equipment, gave that to Ukraine, gave them what we have for ordinance, and cut the budget by a billion dollars. The funding you think they're getting are bullshit promises of F35s and frigates. The military does have something to offer young people, just not the present model which is on life support.
Our focus has been on the Baltics in Latvia were we've lead NATO OPS for a decade.

The A3OB (Azov) "Nazis" are a JTF2, CIA, MI6 under the NATO umbrella creation as are the badasses of 3-тя окрема штурмова бригада (3rd Okrema Storm Brigade).

If you aren't aware by now NATO troops are going into Ukraine. Mission creep and sheep dip personnel is full swing.

The elections are over and Putin will go full on mobilization in next day or two.

100,000 NATO troops are ready to roll with UK and French carriers in the Baltic the blockade Leningrad.

Google up on Macron nuke sabre rattling EU and UK troops on the ready.

This shit is real.

Reactions: bob the dog