Banks or Gangs

grunt

Oct 1, 2011
Here is what I wanted to convey last time.
Banks or Gangs
Part 1

Sometime ago I wrote my opinion about the behavior of Canadian Banks titled “Banks or Gangs”. I was too anxious to find one, just one, bank that was OK, and chose TD as trying to improve. I also said ‘time will tell’ and it did. Yes they were trying, to be the worst.

Putting this aside for now; I have to say this first then write what happened. There is something not only odd but very strange: 2 different banks did (tried to do) same exact scam. Unbelievably most steps were the same; my instructions for GIC renewal were completely ignored and the choice was made for me. This means the source is the same; but who is it and where? Someone or some group that has close connection to banks’ employees are the masterminds.

It started in 2015 with CIBC when my instructions for 2 GICs were ignored. But it was very obvious that the 2 employees dealing with me were involved in a much wider scam. In my complaint I gave hints.

Now TD has gone same route, ignoring my instructions. Another similarity was the response to my complaints. It was dismal and in complete support of the employees. It made me suspect that upper management involved in the scam. If they are not they must have lost all control and that was what I told customer service on the phone. Honestly I am not sure they are not?? I could not figure out TD scam, however during interactions I heard pieces of information put together gave a rough idea of the scam. TD scam depended on taking away my control of my money; no decisions and no involvement. Sooner or later I will give up or forget it also explains CIBC. With TD there were other problems also.

With TD I got web access since I developed leg pain. On accessing my accounts online there were strange messages such as no documents for the account, wrong password that was right…etc and also denying access?? TD’s response was that my computer had a virus and I should take it to “Staples” for scan. My response was ‘if a virus on my computer made your system produce these messages then your system is weak and not safe’ Obviously that was bad for them. ‘I do not know how to use my computer’; that was their new accusation, and I should take it to them to show me. These were 2 of the many attempts to make me reveal my password or give them access to my computer.

From resetting my password because I forgot it (I did not forget it) to take my computer to the branch for them to set it up for me (I have been using computers since PCs were invented). I even bought a new computer to stop these stupid arguments. Even when everything pointed to their system they did not admitted. They have to blame customers so when money goes missing the bank is not responsible!!! I had bought a GIC (after my CIBC lesson??) and went to the branch to change renewal instructions about 3 weeks before maturity. I was told to come within 2 weeks of maturity. I did but was told to come back on the day of maturity.

That was absurd since I had GICs before with TD and other banks and told the teller. She smirked and said “the rules have changed” She looked at the next teller and asked “when did the rules change” The other smart teller did not want to get involved and did not answer.

Continued on part 2

grunt

Oct 1, 2011
Banks or Gangs
Part 2

I do not know what are banks’ hiring practices. Do they hire anybody off the streets? A bank teller should be familiar with policies and rules. The bank has to and must inform customers with any change at least 30 days before enacting them otherwise they are illegal.

Tellers also should follow bank’s rules and not create their own. I received a letter from head office informing customers that renewal instructions could be changed 30 days before maturity. I took it to the branch to show it to the manager. The ‘assistant manager’ after I familiarized him with the issues, explained to me that my GIC is renewed automatically, which I knew. I said that was the reason why I was there to change it and showed him the letter. He asked me to read a line that said “…renewal instructions…” he gleefully said “renewal instruction”. He meant it is for renewal only.

I could not take that and angrily said, “Do not change the Language to suit your goal, renewal instructions mean to renew or not to renew”. Sometimes greed makes some people stupid; he just reminded me that the GIC renews automatically then why would I need a reminder to renew it?? That made the goal of the scam clear.

If the GIC gets always renewed (perpetually) then I cannot use the money and practically it is not mine any more. Customers loose thousands of dollars every year. The one I felt sorry for the most is the businessman who lost $38000. The banks excuse was that he did notify then within 48 hours.

48 hours from him knowing about it or from it happened? I bet it is from it happened, which is impossible and that is the point. Banks put rules that are impossible. Because to do that customers have to check their accounts every day!! Even if they have time, banks would not allow it. If all customers checked their accounts every day banks’ system will jam!!!

Latest addition, today Jan 2, I went to the branch to close my accounts and asked to get the balances in 2 separate money orders. Before I went in the new bank with the money orders I noticed that the one for the checking account had my name spelled wrong and the savings was perfect. I took it back and the teller (different one) asked the manager for help.

The manager while trying to replace it said to me “you should have checked it”. I explained that the correct one was on top and I assumed (anyone would) if you write one right both would be right!! After a while she said it again and I said same explanation. Then after sometime she said it again for third time.

Repeating my explanation I added, “now you are blaming me?” She said “oh no, the teller made a mistake”. I said “are you sure it was a mistake?” I have a 5-letter name and it was missing A and S??? That piece of whatever is more to blame than the teller and me. She cosigned both and had 2 opportunities to check it, while helping writing them and on signing them. Checking them is her job to make sure that they are done properly!!!

Where in hell is the damn F F Government? Too busy to do the job they are paid and sworn to do? Or is it as the saying goes: if the head of the household is beating the drums; the rest of the household are dancing?

Dixie Cup

Senate Member
Sep 16, 2006
Edmonton
Wow! So far I've been lucky & have had no issues with Scotiabank, ATB & the Credit Union. Good to know in order to keep tabs!

bob the dog

Council Member
Aug 14, 2020
Banks and gangs are the same thing. They are the #1 injustice facing everyday Canadians sucking 50 billion from the economy every year in profits.

From the beginning of time it has been the banker, the lawyer, and the politician. Still the same.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Banks and gangs are the same thing. They are the #1 injustice facing everyday Canadians sucking 50 billion from the economy every year in profits.

From the beginning of time it has been the banker, the lawyer, and the politician. Still the same.
One of 'em's gotta be #1. The other one gets the silver medal.