B.C. man has no regrets after losing job for saving baby moose

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
B.C. man has no regrets after losing job for saving baby moose
'I did what I felt was the right thing,' said Mark Skage

Author of the article:Spiro Papuckoski
Published Jul 18, 2023 • 2 minute read
Mark Skage poses with a baby moose after saving it from a nearby black bear.
Mark Skage poses with a baby moose after saving it from a nearby black bear. PHOTO BY MARK SKAGE /Facebook
A British Columbia man said he did “the right thing” by saving a moose calf from being a meal for a nearby black bear despite losing his job.

Alberta-based AFD Petroleum Ltd. fired Mark Skage earlier this month after he said he picked up the young animal that was alone on the highway in northern B.C. and eventually brought it to a rehab centre.

“I made a decision at the time after she kept trying to climb into the work truck that I couldn’t just leave her there,” Skage said in a Facebook post. “So I stuck her in the passenger side and drove to town to get her some help.”

Mark Skage said he was fired from his job after taking in a baby moose after noticing a nearby black bear.
Mark Skage said he was fired from his job after taking in a baby moose after noticing a nearby black bear. PHOTO BY MARK SKAGE /Facebook
Skage said he contacted his supervisor and also left a message with B.C.’s Conservation Officer Services about what to do with the animal, which didn’t have its mother nearby.

He said he found a farm for the animal to stay at until he made contact with Rimrock Wildlife Rehabilitation Centre facility in Dawson Creek a few days later, where the animal could be taken care of and eventually be reintroduced to the wild.

But all was not well. The company “figured I was in grievous conflict with their wildlife policies,” Skage said.

“They did decide, given all their options, that letting me go was the best thing,” he added.

AFD Petroleum shared a statement on Facebook on Tuesday about the employee, who filmed the animal and took pictures of it inside the company vehicle.

“We take our obligation to wildlife and to our natural environment extremely seriously,” the company said. “The only actions which put the animal in danger were those of Mr. Skage. Not only did he put himself and other road users at risk by capturing and transporting this animal but also caused distress and potential harm to the moose, having failed to contact conservation authorities immediately as required.”

But Skage felt protecting the animal was best at that moment in an online update.

“Did I do all the right things? Did I say all the right stuff? Likely not … but I do know that whatever anyone else thinks the calf’s mom was not there. The bear was. I did what I felt was the right thing.”
Mark-Skage-moose1-Facebook-July18-e1689709366674[1].jpgMark-Skage-Facebook-July18[1].jpg